• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PS4 dev kit FCC filing shows off extra ports, 2.75GHz max clock frequency

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is for others to discuss. I know nothing about tech.

Sony PS4 dev kit FCC filing shows off extra ports, 2.75GHz max clock frequency

ps4-dev-kit-front-back.jpg

Sony proudly showed off its PlayStation 4 hardware for the first time at E3, and now we're getting a peek at what developers are working with this generation thanks to the FCC. The DUH-D1000AA prototype Development Kit for PS4 is listed in these documents, tested for its Bluetooth and 802.11 b/g/n WiFi radios. As one would expect, the diagrams show it eschews the sleek design of the consumer model for extra cooling, a shape made for rack mounts plus extra indicator lights and ports. Also of note is a "max clock frequency" listing of 2.75GHz, and although we don't know how fast the game system will run by default, it's interesting to hear what all that silicon may be capable of (as a commenter points out below, that may relate to the system's 8GB of GDDR5 RAM) while maintaining a temperature between 5 and 35 degrees celsius. Hit the link below to check out the documents for yourself, after seeing this and the system's controller become a part of the FCC's database all we're left waiting for is Mark Cerny's baby.

sony-ps4-dev-kit-specs.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/16/sony-ps4-development-kit-fcc/

DieH@rd

Banned
And here is the picture of the devkit itself, it can also briefly be seen in the QuanticDream office visit video somebody made few months ago.

ps4devkit.jpg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What does the clock speed relate to?

Maximum theoretical radio emission frequency of all embedded radio devices (WLAN, bluetooh, etc.). It's a document for the FCC after all. Has nothing to do with silicon clock speeds.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Maximum theoretical radio emission frequency of all embedded radio devices (WLAN, bluetooh, etc.). It's a document for the FCC after all. Has nothing to do with silicon clock speeds.

Ah, thanks. I didn't think it was an 'actual' increase. It just seems too big a jump, but it's good to know so that I don't make myself look silly over this :)

Only 5-35c for operating temp? If 35 is the highest it will go then... that's not even hot at all. No wonder they can go small on the form factor from the get go.

aeolist

Banned
Do we know if xbox one will have it?

yeah it looks like they're going 1x1 dual band 802.11n

Xbox One is equipped with a gigabit Ethernet port and 802.11n wireless. With 802.11n, Xbox One can use the 5GHz wireless band which eliminates considerable interference from other devices in the home, such as cordless phones, Bluetooth devices and microwaves. Xbox One uses two wireless antennas, versus one in Xbox 360. This provides dramatically better coverage and sustained performance, which means faster internet speeds in more areas of your home.

Shin

Banned
There were different Dev-kits, like 3 of them or something according to VGLeaks.
Wasn't the final Dev-kit supposed to be shipped this month or the next, if so this might have been an old one?

I wouldn't read too much into it, or maybe someone should ask Shuhei about the wireless capabilities and/or frequencies.

Top Bottom