• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(*) Sony PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X Technical Analysis: Why The PS5’s 10.3 TFLOPs Figure Is Misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neur4lN01s3

Neophyte
No specifics on cooling solution, but PS5 will run on a constant power basis.

I am so curious about the cooling solution and the shape of PS5
2.23GHz even for few seconds, require to dissipate a lot of heat

I think PS5 will be big, in size, with fast and noisy fans, it's too costly to use water cooling, peltier tech or a big slow fan

When Cerny mentioned RT in the Wired article you called him a liar, in the other place. But now, sudenly, you need him to say VRS to beleive it's real.
I'm tired of your bs. You're just a xbox fanboy who wants to trash on everything with a PS logo.

And yes, your favorite plastic box it's more powerfull. Congratulations.

Funny, I'm more a real playstation fan than some of you warriors here. I support all platforms, but keep saying whatever makes you feel better. I can tell some news recently has you guys extra triggered. I wonder what it could be. You guys need relax, take a chill pill and just decompress for a bit. It's okay.

You say one thing that doesn't fit with what these crybabies want to hear, and it's immediately like release the kraken! holy shit lol.

LED Guy?

Banned
The Xbox fanboys are so angry that the PS5 is a 10.3 TFs even, they're downplaying it saying it is 9 or 8 TFs (which is delusional), they're saying PS5's SSD can be offset with a special magical Xbox Series X chip that can be put it up to speed with the PS5's fastest SSD ever and quoting a quote from Windows Central damage controlling and saying it was a quote from Digital Foundry when it isn't.

Enough with the bullshit, you got your 15% higher GPU grunt but with a much slower SSD.

PlayStation 5 can create more Next-gen scenes and can handle bigger worlds but with a little lower resolution or a littler less FPS (like 5 - 6 less FPS).

Colteastwood and Xbox fanboys LIED about it, look here.

Jonsoncao

Banned

I think PS5 will be big, in size, with fast and noisy fans, it's too costly to use water cooling, peltier tech or a big slow fan

Let's see. I really hope there are gonna be devs leaking GPU profiling results to see how actually the "constant power" is utilized in terms of GPU frequency.

I am not very optimistic about the cooling solution (my main concern to hold for a PS5 pro).

RaySoft

This is insiders 13TF all over again. There's a bigger gap between these two consoles than was there between Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. Remember what Microsoft was able to get out of Xbox One X, how it shot way beyond what people expected of it. What do people expect to happen with this insane thing they've built? I'm sure the same extensive game engine analysis and approaches they used for Xbox One X will have been amplified for Series X.

The games will pretty much put this one to rest. The PS5 isn't weak at all, and I won't dare suggest that, but the Series X quite obviously murders the PS5. Any sane person can see that in raw performance potential.

You cant compare a new generation with current-gen refresh consoles.. The extra power of PS4Pro and One X were only put towards fps and resolution on current design philosofies, not towards usher in a new one. If you really must compare, you'd have to compare the base PS4 and base Xbox One (S), where the generation started.

Neur4lN01s3

Neophyte
I am not very optimistic about the cooling solution (my main concern to hold for a PS5 pro).

I think this is why they are not showing the shape of the console, they have "dynamically overclocked" the gpu and now are searching a combination of cooling solution/shape to the new required electric power and relative heat.
This would be a mess, we are too near the launch windows to change such big details as shape and cooling solution :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Last edited:
Let's see. I really hope there are gonna be devs leaking GPU profiling results to see how actually the "constant power" is utilized in terms of GPU frequency.

Honestly, by the sounds of what Cerny said, they may have solved that issue. He said because power draw would fluctuate up and down based on game load, they apparently had issues gauging (kind of shocking he said this, but he did) how to best cool it, so he says by running at a CONSTANT power profile and instead letting frequency vary rather than power draw, they can much better predict what's needed in the worst case for optimal cooling. He specifically says everyone will be pleased by what they came up with. So it sounds like, at the very least, Mark Cerny is quite proud of the PS5's cooling solution. Probably something more elaborate than what we think.

So yea, that's what I get from all that. If they STILL have what seems to be a iffy cooling solution after all that, then I just don't know. You'd think a company like sony would have a better handle on this stuff.

My, my, aren't you the special one? You sound really mad.. I wish you could tell me all about it, but Corona. All you need to know is I'm the person who was way more right than the 13TF and whatever else was said "insiders"

Hold this plz.

L
I've never met you but, you're indeed a special case. Your mere presence annoys me and it's because I can't tolerate frauds. There are thousands of members on this forum who contribute where they can and ask questions when they're unsure. They stay in their lane of expertise and defer to others when they're out of their scope. In your post, you could not refute what I said because it's true. You have no education in this subject matter, you have no qualifications in this subject matter and frankly, you cannot intelligently contribute to technical topics. It's one thing to show zeal and an eagerness to learn, it's another to be an imposter. Make no mistake about it, you're an imposter and you don't know squat. If we had any proper mods on here who had any interest in restoring Gaf to it's past glories, you would have been banned a long time ago.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
There's nothing misleading in being weaker in theory, on paper, and in practice. It's actually scary that fanboys denial the PS5 GPU computing power even when Cerny himself came up onto the scene and revealed the numbers in front of entire world, live.

No one would bat an eye on the SSD if PS5 had 13/14/15TF, but it is what it is, suck it up and carry on.

You cant compare a new generation with current-gen refresh consoles.. The extra power of PS4Pro and One X were only put towards fps and resolution on current design philosofies, not towards usher in a new one. If you really must compare, you'd have to compare the base PS4 and base Xbox One (S), where the generation started.

It's just my view, nothing more, nothing less. You can't really have proper discussions here without people getting all sensitive over their specific box. Not you, others. So taking a break for now going to grab a bite. Look forward to seeing what both systems can do.

manzo

You seriously are thinking that after all their recent studio acquisitions ?

I don’t understand your question. I play video games on consoles. I play the game on the console where it runs/performs the best. Be it first, second or third party. Before anyone says anything about PC, I have a very capable PC for work. I just cannot bring myself to play on it. Cannot relax and wind down when in my office. I go instant work mode. I’ve tried couch PC with Steam Big Picture mode, but it just didn’t work for me. Too much hassle.

Likely more than that as many of us have begun to gather the more we look at what Sony and Cerny have done with respect to the PS5's engineering. The things they've done with the SSD, it should run exceptionally well at 9.2TFs.

It isn't very likely that developers are going to be pushing the PS5 at 10.2. If they did there would have to be a tremendous benefit for doing so.

Again, we have no real proof how it will run. Sure, we might see drops below 9.2 even. Or we could see max 2% drops and we stay above 10.1 all the fucking time. We just don’t know yet. Until proven otherwise, I’ll stick to the +10 scenario.

In the end, the next Deus Ex will probably have an edge on Series X. I’ll just get that version. But until Falcom and other Japanese publishers start doing Xbox versions, they run at 0 FPS even if SeriesX would have 30 TF. That’s why I’ll always own a Playstation.

Last edited:

sendit

Yawn. So basically another “PS5 is a variable frequency and there’s no way that it can perform better than its stats in real world performance!!!” thread? Ok OP. There was nothing misleading. You know what is misleading? Everyone acting as if the XSX is going to run at 12.1 locked constantly. If you believe that XSX will somehow magically overcome thermal dynamics and continue running at full blast 24/7, then the same must be true of PS5, but y’all don’t want to talk about that.

I think you're failing to see Microsoft's genius here. By sustaining peak thermals in the box(until it explodes), they're aiming to sell multiple XSX per household. Just like the Xbox 360.

Last edited:

RaySoft

It's just my view, nothing more, nothing less. You can't really have proper discussions here without people getting all sensitive over their specific box. Not you, others. So taking a break for now going to grab a bite. Look forward to seeing what both systems can do.

If everyone could just drop their "edge" we would have a much more engaging conversation here. I've seen how all the PS/X-bots feed off eachother here.. not really healthy and quite sad:-/

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I don’t understand your question. I play video games on consoles. I play the game on the console where it runs/performs the best. Be it first, second or third party. Before anyone says anything about PC, I have a very capable PC for work. I just cannot bring myself to play on it. Cannot relax and wind down when in my office. I go instant work mode. I’ve tried couch PC with Steam Big Picture mode, but it just didn’t work for me. Too much hassle.
I see after listening to Cerny for so long you are now talking like him.

manzo

I see after listening to Cerny for so long you are now talking like him.

It’s called being an adult and owning your own opinions. Both Cerny and Spencer are spokespersons and PR for their respective companies. What do you think they would say? We failed, our console is not worthy of your dollars, don’t buy it?

Jonsoncao

Banned
The Xbox fanboys are so angry that the PS5 is a 10.3 TFs even, they're downplaying it saying it is 9 or 8 TFs (which is delusional), they're saying PS5's SSD can be offset with a special magical Xbox Series X chip that can be put it up to speed with the PS5's fastest SSD ever and quoting a quote from Windows Central damage controlling and saying it was a quote from Digital Foundry when it isn't.

Enough with the bullshit, you got your 15% higher GPU grunt but with a much slower SSD.

PlayStation 5 can create more Next-gen scenes and can handle bigger worlds but with a little lower resolution or a littler less FPS (like 5 - 6 less FPS).

Colteastwood and Xbox fanboys LIED about it, look here.

Wow, what a fraud.

Hotspurr

Banned
Both chips are based on RDNA2, so their specs are comparable. You can directly compare the 10.2 teraflots to the 12.
The fact that the 10.2 is only based on boost, means that it will be up to the developer to structure their game so there is less CPU load so more of the power can go to the GPU (yes?).
Does that mean that if the CPU is not under load, the GPU can sustain 2.2 GHz operation and full 10.2 TF? It sounds like they are hiding something important. Given the thermal architecture on the PS4 Pro, I would imagine there will still be throttling or jet engine sounds on the PS5. They also put a lot on the developer to balance out the performance, which makes me think the Xbox SX will be easier to work with.

As for the SSD, they are using very different architectures and controllers (no?). Very hard to do an apples to apples comparison, and besides, the benefits of a faster SSD are nebulous beyond faster loading times.

Choosing between better performance vs. faster loading, I'd take better performance. Also better longevity, at the beginning those 2-3 TF are going to be unnoticeable, but towards the midlife of the console you'll start to feel them (or you can opt for the "pro" version hardware revision cashgrab).

At the end of the day, next gen seems like it will be like late last gen,

Muti-platform, xbox exclusives, and PC/Xbox ecosystem = get an xbox s x
Playstation exclusives = get a playstation

That's your main decision right there.

I've never met you but, you're indeed a special case. Your mere presence annoys me and it's because I can't tolerate frauds. There are thousands of members on this forum who contribute where they can and ask questions when they're unsure. They stay in their lane of expertise and defer to others when they're out of their scope. In your post, you could not refute what I said because it's true. You have no education in this subject matter, you have no qualifications in this subject matter and frankly, you cannot intelligently contribute to technical topics. It's one thing to show zeal and an eagerness to learn, it's another to pose as an imposter. Make no mistake about it, you're an imposter and you don't know squat. If we had any proper mods on here who had any interest in restoring Gaf to it's past glories, you would have been banned a long time ago.

I was here back then and I'm still here after the height of what you seem to determine is the "golden age" of gaf moderation. What does that tell you? It should tell you that I've never crossed any lines that they've deemed too far, because while I've been very adamant in my defense of what I like. I've never been a troll that attacks and shits on other platforms to make myself feel better about my own. And save me the fraud and qualifications talk. Who are you exactly? Don't answer that, I don't care, and it's entirely possible nobody has cared for your entire professional life. Stop and assess how serious this stuff is becoming for you that you're getting this mad on a games forum about a videogame. It's alarmingly hilarious. If I had a look at your room right now would you have print outs of all my past posts taped onto your wall? I'm

And IF you were so privileged as to have the honor to meet me, you would be in desperate search of a moderation in your tone. Know this. I see through right through you. I've seen your kind before. It always, always ends the same. Stay in that digital lane of yours. What exactly did you believe you were implying by "meeting" me before. Don't play yourself. :messenger_winking:

sendit

It’s called being an adult and owning your own opinions. Both Cerny and Spencer are spokespersons and PR for their respective companies. What do you think they would say? We failed, our console is not worthy of your dollars, don’t buy it?

Pretty sure Spencer and Cerny are not I’m comparable positions at their respective companies.

manzo

Pretty sure Spencer and Cerny are not I’m comparable positions at their respective companies.

Of course. Cerny is a lead architect. Spencer is a businessman.

But both are seen as the ”fathers” of their respective platforms. They are the faces, the main PR men.

My title is a solution architect in my company and I do the same work as him, but in a very different sector. I see Cerny in a very different light than Spencer because of this. But I still think Spencer handles the PR side and messaging better than Cerny. But Cerny is great at explaining tech in a way that most laymen understand it.

And by laymen I mean enthusiasts that actually watch and follow the tech.

Jonsoncao

Banned

IMHO it really depends on dev. However, the bad news is that 5700XT does not scale well with frequency.

Overclock 5700XT from 1.9Ghz to 2.15Ghz brings less than 5% gain on a 10% clock increase, for some games you even do not have gains.

I trust the devs to find a good balanced frequency to run PS5 GPU at.

Last edited:
There's nothing misleading in being weaker in theory, on paper, and in practice. It's actually scary that fanboys denial the PS5 GPU computing power even when Cerny himself came up onto the scene and revealed the numbers in front of entire world, live.

No one would bat an eye on the SSD if PS5 had 13/14/15TF, but it is what it is, suck it up and carry on.
100%
I don't understand that behavior, it's scary and sad tbh, if it was the other way around (Sony more powerful) it would have been crazy, let's be objective here and stop defending these companies.
MS did a better job than Sony this time, grow up & deal with it !
Anyone who says that 10,3 is misleading is a cock sucker and needs to STFU.
There is some growing up to be done here.

Journey

Banned
The PS5 is a 10.3 TFs console LOCKED, the XSX is 12 TFs console LOCKED.

Get over it people, Xbox fanboys want to spread misinformation but they can't, just watch this video by NXGamer.

Oh, now suddenly it's locked when Sony themselves said the frequency is variable... what a joke. It's pretty clear that the 10.23 TF performance is a "Best case" scenario. Amplifiers and speaker ratings did this shit throughout history, PEAK wattage vs RMS is not a fair comparison. The "Theoretical MAX" teraflop of a console is already shaky to begin with because it's theoretical, but now we also want to throw in clocks that are variable and go with the highest possible number instead of the average 🤦‍♂️

I can see it now, XSX multiplats outperforming PS5 games only to see fanboys claiming its that way because only exclusives take advantage of the PS5's "Secret Sauce" lol.

Ray Tracing is said to be the biggest differentiator between the two. I suspect that games will either have better use of Ray Tracing on XSX, or those with the same use of Ray Tracing will perform better on XSX. Seeing Minecraft running on XSX with Full path ray tracing was pretty exciting to witness.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
ZMYADuX.gif

Even if they did cut corners for cost, it shouldn't really matter to you anyway. You are already going to buy a better quality more powerful product from the competition regardless.

More powerful in raw TF for sure, but how the hell do you know it's better quality?

manzo

Both chips are based on RDNA2, so their specs are comparable. You can directly compare the 10.2 teraflots to the 12.
The fact that the 10.2 is only based on boost, means that it will be up to the developer to structure their game so there is less CPU load so more of the power can go to the GPU (yes?).
Does that mean that if the CPU is not under load, the GPU can sustain 2.2 GHz operation and full 10.2 TF? It sounds like they are hiding something important. Given the thermal architecture on the PS4 Pro, I would imagine there will still be throttling or jet engine sounds on the PS5. They also put a lot on the developer to balance out the performance, which makes me think the Xbox SX will be easier to work with.

As for the SSD, they are using very different architectures and controllers (no?). Very hard to do an apples to apples comparison, and besides, the benefits of a faster SSD are nebulous beyond faster loading times.

Choosing between better performance vs. faster loading, I'd take better performance. Also better longevity, at the beginning those 2-3 TF are going to be unnoticeable, but towards the midlife of the console you'll start to feel them (or you can opt for the "pro" version hardware revision cashgrab).

Excellent post. How I understood from Cerny’s message, the power envelope is set to a certain maximum and when it’s running at max, the throughput is a sustained 10.2. The cooling is created to sustain that power envelope.

Now that the clocks are variable, let’s say that the system is running at max power (no Simpsons pun intended ;)) and the GPU gets a spike that would make the surge go higher, the system throttles the CPU to allow more power to the GPU. The power surge is kept at maximum. But if the scene was actually more CPU bound and the GPU made the system to throttle the CPU, now that’s when the problems start. It allows interesting freedomsin switching the power states between the CPU and the GPU, but needs proper managing of resources to keep the raging bulls under control.

I see this as PS5’s version of Xbone’s ESRAM. In the beginning of the generation, it will cause headaches for the devs and will translate to a lot worse performance. Once the tools mature and the devs get used to the system, they will get the system to sing constantly at that 10.2 TF status.

The SSD will be only properly utilized to it’s max potential by Sony first party. In other games, the IO throughput of the Series X will be the baseline.

edit: I seriously fucking hope the cooling system does its job properly. PS4 Pro is the only console where I have to switch to noise cancelling headphones to not be bothered by the jet engine. The acoustics of that console is a fucking disgrace.

Last edited:

You need to consider a few things here.

1) Although the teraflop number is based off of the RDNA2 platform, the higher clock of the PS5 affects other attributes within the GPU that are not considered by just the flat TF number. Cerny discussed some of the benefits in his presentation, and how, in his belief, the pros outweigh the con of an increased cycle period (if I remember correctly). So in that sense, the TF number is not a 1:1. It is like if you have two teams assigned to build a wall our of blocks. One has more workers that can brute force the job and place more blocks (Xbox) while the other has less workers but they are a bit more efficient. So whereas the first team can place more blocks, their inefficiency slightly hampers their speed. Whereas, the other team (PS5) can't place quite as many but it is more efficient, so some of that TF difference is negated. To what extent, no one knows yet, because this ultimately comes down to using the advantages of the system.

2) You need to stop thinking of the "boost" in PS5 in terms of a typical overclock. The system is pegged at pulling in a certain amount of wattage, and depending on the load, the cores frequency move up and down. This is capped at 2.23 ghz. It will put out 10.2 TF if the code requires it. The wattage and therefore heat is a known quantity. That being the case, Sony knows exactly how much heat will be produced in the worst case scenario. So they are able to come up with a solution specifically to handle it. Cooling shouldn't be an issue since they know exactly what they need to do.

With the PS4 Pro, the system, in order to handle load, pulled more power and therefore increased temperatures beyond where they typically anticipated, and therefore their cooling system had to ramp up and get loud. An issue because they didn't really know how much power it would pull when they designed it.

3) The SSD is not just about faster loading. Ultimately, it is about altering the way a game is designed, which if followed, should allow massive improvements to gaming overall, including making the TF's you do have, work better for you.

It will be interesting to see the differences in the tech play out, but there is a lot of nuance that people are ignoring for the sake of console wars.

RaySoft

True, but is loading something in 1.5 seconds instead of 3 seconds really going to make a world of difference in most multi-plats?

It's more like instant vs 1 sec wait time, so Series X are more dependant on reserving some RAM for asset loading to keep up. Ofc not as bad as present-gen where you have to load assets into ram in the background long before you really would need it, if at all (depends on player input)
It's a good thing Series X has this capability too so it will be adopted faster by devs.
The 2x SSD bandwith wont matter much until a few years down the road.. maybe 2-3 years from now.

Last edited:

Genx3

So, if this is ends up being the case, how would the boost really be helpful. Let’s say there’s an area of a game that needs the 10.28 TF, if I just stay in that area and never leave will the PS5 melt?

No it will not melt.
The PS5 will throttle down either the GPU or CPU depending on what is going on.
If the CPU isn't under full load then the GPU can be under full load.
If the CPU is under full load they'll have to throttle the GPU down to keep a constant power curve.
Basically when nothing is going on in the scene PS5 should definitely be able to hit that 10.3 TF mark.

KEOPM

Neo Member
I think this is why they are not showing the shape of the console, they have "dynamically overclocked" the gpu and now are searching a combination of cooling solution/shape to the new required electric power and relative heat.
This would be a mess, we are too near the launch windows to change such big details as shape and cooling solution :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Think Nintendo Switch!

Goliathy

Banned

Should I listen to one of the oldest Xbox fanboys from this site, or an AMD engineer and countless world class devs with hands on both machines? Hmmm...

The gap is smaller than it's ever been, learn maths.

Hmm. Should I trust a random tweet from a random amd or...

a whole fucking blogpost from:

Sebastien Nussbaum, Senior Fellow and Corporate Vice President, Semi-Custom Products & Technologies at AMD, who is praising Xbox series X and says:

„Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation and will propagate the innovation throughout the DirectX ecosystem this year and into next year.“

Without mentioning the PS5 not a single time... what should I trust more?

Armorian

Banned
:pie_roffles:

PS5 has worse GFX performance than the top Radeon released last year. What a time to be alive. Well at least it has some kind of gimped RT which the RX5700XT does not.

PS4 in 2013 had 1.8TF while top Radeon from 2011 had 4.3TF.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
It only takes 1 second though.
theoretically. there is a lot of bottlenecks that need to be narrow down. you can just look at the speed and say yeah its x times faster. normal ssd is 10x faster than hdd. but when you install on ps4 its only 2x faster 8x of the speed is lost because of the bottleneck

Psykodad

Banned
Hmm. Should I trust a random tweet from a random amd or...

a whole fucking blogpost from:

Sebastien Nussbaum, Senior Fellow and Corporate Vice President, Semi-Custom Products & Technologies at AMD, who is praising Xbox series X and says:

„Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation and will propagate the innovation throughout the DirectX ecosystem this year and into next year.“

Without mentioning the PS5 not a single time... what should I trust more?
Well, one is made on a impartial personal note, the other is part of an XSX-focused piece when pre-PS5 deepdive.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Basically depends on as of yet unknown pricing.

If the PS5 was 399 and the SeX was 499, they'd draw nearly even on performance per dollar, that seems about fair to me. If only Sony had got the BC story down perfectly, with those two things I don't think I would have cared much about this level of power difference, hoping they realize they have work to do and have a better BC story by launch/nearly all titles soon after.

This is of course apart from the obvious that people will chose based on the games they want to play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom