• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaYotiX

Banned
Mar 25, 2009
14,930
0
0
Texas
shidoshi said:
There is no way I would eeeeeeever link a debit card to anything like this. I've never understood the argument against having a credit card - just learn self-restraint - but even if you really don't want one, don't like your debit card. It's a messier affair getting money back if something happens (from everything I've ever heard), and even if you do get the money back, until you do you have literally had cash taken away from you. With a credit card, you haven't.

my debit card is has been linked to my PSN and 360 since launch of both and have never had any problems. I also use it to pay bills online. Shit happens but 99.9% of the time everything is secure.
 

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Feb 19, 2008
44,007
7
0
MrPliskin said:
I see Tycho is still grounded in...well, not in reality. Crazy he would say shit like this, when he robbed me of FORTY FUCKING DOLLARS for two Penny Arcade titles with the intent to finish them, went silent for fucking AGES, and then cancelled the project, and ultimately told us they'd flesh it out in a comic.

...where is that comic again? Probably beneath the fucking money they got from me and others, I'm sure.

What a dick and a hypocrite all the way through. He's always been a self-entitled hot head though, so no surprise here.
First of all:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/rainslick/

Second of all:
How did he rob you? You gave money and actually got to play the games, right?

Thirdly:
From what I can tell, the end of the PA Adventures games came about because of Hothead, mostly. They switched most of their efforts over to getting Deathspank out the door, and they didn't really have enough people to do all the projects they had lined up simultaneously. Gabe and Tycho then pulled the plug.

Fourth: None of what you said negates any of the points from the news post. It is entirely an ad hominem attack meant to deflect attention from the fact that Tycho is right about Sony's mismanagement of the PR situation around this outage.
 

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apr 16, 2007
37,195
2
0
There
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just checked my credit card statement and freaked when I found a $0.01 transaction....

... then I realised it was actually for the indie Humble bundle
This still has me rolling lol. Did you put .5 cent towards charity and .5 towards the developers. If so that is godlike.
 

androvsky

Member
Sep 19, 2007
7,939
1
895
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Well my canary has shutdown on me as of today because management (at SCE) is undergoing serious pains right now regarding the PSN SHUTDOWN, yesterday we talk and he told me that people should not be worried about their credit card info being stolen because, supposedly, SONY has checked and nothing was retrieve but it seems that the personal information of the users has actually been retreived, only a fraction of users though. And the same that they have estimates that by thursday the PSN will be up. That was all, he told me that he will try to give me a memo so that i could leaked it, but lets see if he keeps his word.

Oh and the last thing he told me is that SONY is going to prepare a full press release with exact and detailed information about the reason of the PSN Shutdown.

EDIT: Oh and supposedly SONY will lunch a new firmware update and new PSN TOS, don´t know if will be with the lunch of the PSN or by the week, but is a confirmed thing that SONY will lunch a new firmware and new PSN TOS before the ending month. Again this is what he told me.

Interesting, thanks. I've been expecting that we'll need a new firmware to get back online if the rumors are right about why PSN was shut down.

I can't believe it's been six days and we're hearing that CC info hasn't been compromised through a second-hand anonymous leaker. No offense, but this should've been a press release last week, not one sometime in the future. At least we're hearing something from you...
 

JambiBum

Member
Apr 20, 2009
6,591
0
900
Htown said:
First of all:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/rainslick/

Second of all:
How did he rob you? You gave money and actually got to play the games, right?

Thirdly:
From what I can tell, the end of the PA Adventures games came about because of Hothead, mostly. They switched most of their efforts over to getting Deathspank out the door, and they didn't really have enough people to do all the projects they had lined up simultaneously. Gabe and Tycho then pulled the plug.

Fourth: None of what you said negates any of the points from the news post. It is entirely an ad hominem attack meant to deflect attention from the fact that Tycho is right about Sony's mismanagement of the PR situation around this outage.
You can't use logic with trolls. You should know better, Doctor.
 

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Feb 19, 2008
44,007
7
0
The full Penny Arcade comic and newspost, for reference:


Tycho said:
We put up today’s comic on Friday because it was inconceivable to conceive of thinking that they still wouldn’t have their shit together by today. In the interim, its spicy payload has only grown more intense, like kimchi.

An issue like this should, in practice, be an argument against a monolithic service. For example, if Xbox Live were down, you wouldn’t be able to access Netflix, which is still available to users even though the PSN is down. This should have been an incredible first showing for Portal 2, seeing as its richest functionality exists on a robust and venerable parallel network. But Steam access is gated via their warped-ass oculus for some reason, even though other partners aren’t held to the same standard.

The thing to say on your web is that since PSN is free you can’t really complain about it, and that’s pretty dumb. Maybe you could have said that if you couldn’t play Ratchet and Clank online with your Playstation 2, but that era is fucking over. By “that era,” I’m referring to the one where chains of appliance “islands” exist in millions of discrete universes across the globe. The store, your friends list, these aren’t perks. By 2011, they’re bedrock assertions of the medium. The deal they made with users - one which, for years, was the justification for a gruesome price disparity - was “free Xbox Live,” not “shit happens.”

They have a serious problem here, and as serious as their technology problem might be, it’s not the biggest one they have. Their problem is that they don’t know how to communicate about anything but their legendary prowess. They simply don’t have it. I mean, genetically. They need to find a human being, or hire one, and start an actual dialogue with users.

They need to do this last Friday.
 

Dabanton

Member
May 25, 2007
25,530
1
0
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Well my canary has shutdown on me as of today because management (at SCE) is undergoing serious pains right now regarding the PSN SHUTDOWN, yesterday we talk and he told me that people should not be worried about their credit card info being stolen because, supposedly, SONY has checked and nothing was retrieve but it seems that the personal information of the users has actually been retreived, only a fraction of users though. And the same that they have estimates that by thursday the PSN will be up. That was all, he told me that he will try to give me a memo so that i could leaked it, but lets see if he keeps his word.

Oh and the last thing he told me is that SONY is going to prepare a full press release with exact and detailed information about the reason of the PSN Shutdown.

EDIT: Oh and supposedly SONY will lunch a new firmware update and new PSN TOS, don´t know if will be with the lunch of the PSN or by the week, but is a confirmed thing that SONY will lunch a new firmware and new PSN TOS before the ending month. Again this is what he told me.

What part of Sony does your 'canary' work for?

EDIT Duh to me you say SCE.
 

iFootball

Member
Dec 5, 2008
886
0
0
USA
carvasd said:
Hmmm..

My CC has a $1 pending transaction that reads "CARD VERIFICATION"

I don't recall any transaction with my CC this weekend... damn... time to call Amex

Well, I called AMEX and confirmed that my card was used this Friday... considering I'm 100% sure it wasn't me, I went ahead and cancelled & replaced my card... I hope this is just a bad coincidence with PSN's problems... good thing I checked while the transaction was still pending.
 

Neuromancer

Member
Jan 13, 2009
61,811
5
1,250
Baltimore, MD
twitter.com
androvsky said:
Interesting, thanks. I've been expecting that we'll need a new firmware to get back online if the rumors are right about why PSN was shut down.

I can't believe it's been six days
and we're hearing that CC info hasn't been compromised through a second-hand anonymous leaker. No offense, but this should've been a press release last week, not one sometime in the future. At least we're hearing something from you...
Has it?!
 

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apr 16, 2007
37,195
2
0
There
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I gave it to the Humble company for their bandwidth costs.
I wonder if that even covers it. Also, doesn't the credit card company take a cut from every transaction.
 

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Jun 20, 2007
5,195
0
0
瑞典
Htown said:
The full Penny Arcade comic and newspost, for reference:
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/1261596481_3Fw2MnJ-L.jpg

Tycho said:
We put up today’s comic on Friday because it was inconceivable to conceive of thinking that they still wouldn’t have their shit together by today. In the interim, its spicy payload has only grown more intense, like kimchi.

An issue like this should, in practice, be an argument... blabla.

This made me totally forget Sony and focus on kimchi. I mean, MAN. I haven't had good kimchi in years. I need some, fast.
 

Sydle

Member
Oct 13, 2006
11,662
1
0
jcm said:
Posting shit like this on a message board is a great way to ensure your career in the security biz is a short one. "Ability to keep your mouth shut" is an important criteria for evaluating security vendors.

Got out of it a while back. :p
 

RustyNails

Member
Aug 31, 2009
47,584
0
1,115
I kinda agree with Penny Arcade's assessment...regardless of what you think, Sony should be held up to standards. It's free service, so the amount of scrutiny and criticism should also take that into consideration. But it shouldn't be used as an excuse to shutdown your networks for a week.

To be fair though, this type of attack can happen anywhere, to anyone. DOD (yes, our govt has been the victim of DDoS), Google, Amazon, PSN, XBL or even Steam.
 
Sep 30, 2009
11,207
1
0
MThanded said:
I wonder if that even covers it. Also, doesn't the credit card company take a cut from every transaction.

I paid with Paypal and I don't think they take a percentage. If they do then.. lol
 

Nakiro

Member
Jul 12, 2009
484
0
830
mamacint said:
Holy shit, can't believe I even came so close to getting a PS3, what's going on here?

Hope sony hasn't fucked any of you too bad :(

Or will they stem the bleeding by the end of the year?
Because PSN is down for a little while? I am sure that most people have a life, and if you really are a gamer, you probably have a huge backlog of games to play that don't require online.

Since when does multiplayer make or break a game?
 
androvsky said:
I can't believe it's been six days and we're hearing that CC info hasn't been compromised through a second-hand anonymous leaker. No offense, but this should've been a press release last week, not one sometime in the future. At least we're hearing something from you...

Yeah, i understand you completely, i told my source that same thing, i even had an argument with him that why hasn´t anybody from sony made a statement, what they are doing is worrying even more the people, but he gave me a personal opinion about what he feels about the situation that i can´t say but, like i told you guys in my pasts post, it seemed like sony didn´t want to comment on nothing and just say it was a network problem all is safe, but yeah the time has passed for such a thing.
 

X-Frame

Member
Jan 13, 2009
10,408
0
0
35
New York
If someone has my card that'll be the 3rd time in the last 6 months I got hit with fraud.

No sense in removing it now correct? The damage has already been done.
 

DUN GOOFD

Banned
Oct 20, 2010
133
0
0
real reason PSN is down
Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/gx6o4/im_a_moderator_over_at_psxscenecom_the_real/
 

bakeray

Member
Jul 7, 2009
1,106
0
740
J-Rzez said:
Seriously, I don't remember these "heavy hitting statements" too well then. All I know is that was the first time ever in my decades of gaming I felt had. And it all started on day-one with it, and MS blew it off for months. And even when it finally got picked up on major media sites, MS had their ace-card warranty statement ready to go. But even then machines were dying still and it "kinda" went away.

Even still though, I can't believe a maker just didn't properly test this out. They rushed it to the market as they thought that was their only chance to dethrone Sony, and they pushed it out the door at consumer's grief. I'm usually a "Day-One" gamer, I buy things usually soon as they launch, and even though I enjoyed many games on the 360, I will not buy the next-box for a good while (maybe a year plus even) because of it. MS should have gotten more heat and heavy hitting statements. But I think we all can agree that even though Sony mostly deserved the heat this gen, they got it worse than MS who made some even worse mistakes at times.



I remember the first time I had to deal with it, it took them a month to get me a new machine, so that probably really set me off. You see RRoD jokes here and there, but nothing really "aggressive" set at them.

But this is all OT at this point.

Sony needs to fix this shit. I don't care if it's "free" or not, they need to get this thing up and running now. Hopefully they give something in return to it's consumers to make up for this as even though it's free, it's a bullet-point they used the entire gen, it sells games for them, and it's a feature we expect, thus we should get some compensation for this. Especially those of us wanting to get the dust off of SOCOM 4 that launched just last week. :p

And, glad to see other's here agree with me.
I'd argue it was a much better response than Sony's was to the PS2's hardware failures. Microsoft had a much broader window for replacing your console, and was much quicker to acknowledge the issues, if I recall correctly. I know people who went through 4-5 PS2s as well. My launch model never had any issues, but there were a lot of people who went through the same things that Xbox 360 users have gone through this gen, although I think the 360s issues were amongst a broader amount of users.
 

StuBurns

Banned
Jan 9, 2008
69,534
1
0
If that's true fair enough. I'm certainly not anti-CFW, I have one on my PSP, but raping the store is bad form.
 

Arklite

Member
Nov 30, 2010
3,709
1
0
RustyNails said:
It's free service, so the amount of scrutiny and criticism should also take that into consideration. But it shouldn't be used as an excuse to shutdown your networks for a week.

I'm pretty sure their excuse for shutdown is concern for security of the network and consumers, not that their service is free and thus can go down whenever.
 

NullPointer

Member
May 4, 2006
44,302
3
0
San Francisco
DUN GOOFD said:
real reason PSN is down
This doesnt make sense to me:

Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted).

Even in a trusted environment why wouldn't you verify CC info? It'd seem to me to be more work to have the cc verification on in one place and off in another then to just keep the system working securely under all conditions.
 

see5harp

Member
May 12, 2009
20,070
1
0
Sacramento, CA
See this is what I was worried about. If this whole ordeal was in fact due to dumb ass Sony piracy issues then I'm more pissed now than I was when it was simple hacking. They ruined the entire PSP platform with their dumb fuck monthly updates and now they are wasting our time with this bullshit again.
 

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apr 16, 2007
37,195
2
0
There
DUN GOOFD said:
real reason PSN is down
very bad form if true. Turning consoles into dev consoles and downloading games for free. The madness has got to stop.
 

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Nov 7, 2007
3,247
0
0
Steve Youngblood said:
I'm taking that with a grain of salt. If that's the real reason the network is down, then that's pretty terrible.

Wouldn't help the CFW cause in the eyes of the general gaming populace, that's for sure.

The whole GeoHot thing, people defending CFW, trying to push the fact that the reason why most people use it, isn't that bad. Then some asshole comes along and steals crap off of PSN and Sony has to shut down PSN because of it.
 

SolidSnakex

Member
Jun 7, 2004
85,483
5
0
Steve Youngblood said:
I'm taking that with a grain of salt. If that's the real reason the network is down, then that's pretty terrible.

It's apparently true and even DigitalFoundry verified that it was happening.
 

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Dec 5, 2008
21,955
116
1,250
www.twitch.tv
MThanded said:
very bad form if true. Turning consoles into dev consoles and downloading games for free. The madness has got to stop.

Ralph at 7-11 told me Cheetos were made from real cheddar cheese.
 

Zeal

Banned
Feb 11, 2007
3,528
1
0
the reddit story goes along with everything i'm hearing on 'scene' sites and such. i believe it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.