• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
RbBrdMan said:
slowclap.jpg

I know other 'game journalists' post on GAF. Read this and follow suit. Start putting the pressure on for real talk.

Gaming journalists are only journalists when it's convenient to call themselves so. Otherwise, 99% of the time they're enthusiast media.

Nizz

Yep, I checked both cards that had been used in the past to buy things and no unusual activity. Then again I had deleted both card numbers from my account a while ago. I was worried that the info was still stored somewhere. But so far nothing shady on either card.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
DMeisterJ said:
Everyone worrying about their CC Info being stolen should be more worried about their address being compromised. I mean, Serial Killers could be on the loose, and that info could lead them to their next target! Why hasn't Sony told us to change our addresses yet? D:

J-Rzez said:
Good thing these writers always find their balls when it comes to Sony. Unlike during MS's RRoD fiasco of them denying the issue for months on end, lying about it to everyone's faces, they just took a few light-hearted joking jabs. RRoD was the biggest gaming fiasco ever, especially considering how MS handled it, even worse than the old Playstation laser thing.

"Gaming Journalism" really hit a new low this gen, as a whole they don't have a shred of credit going for them. They have various agenda's, reviewers don't list all the facts about the games and get stuff wrong all the time, they don't test the game out properly, etc. What a joke.
All Star line up coming out to bat.

The Faceless Master said:
i'm pretty sure that everyone knows that your bank or cc company will reimburse you for any fraudulent charges, the problem is it's a hassle to get your card changed.
Even made a thread about it a few years back. Got everything reimbursed, but the fact it happened on a Sunday with me, meant an hour on the phone. Trip to police station to get a report. And then having to go to the bank the next day since it was one issued through the bank. Blah.

Marleyman said:
I look at what Sony about "rebuilding it" to make it tougher for things like this to happen again. It is just an open invitation, at least to me it seems like one.

Well you said that they would hype and that's not what they're doing. They just told people why it's down and what they're doing to fix it. If that's an open invitation then there isn't much that they could do to avoid it.

AwakenedCloud said:
This whole thing is probably just bad timing, but still.

Probably in my case too and I most certainly will not be removing any details from any of my consoles any time soon - I am FAR too lazy to find a place that sells codes when I want to make an impulse purchse :p

8bit

Knows the Score
I would be quite surprised if CC info was somewhere available in cleartext within PSN or even a system attached to it.

todahawk

Hmmm, I have a HSBC card (the cc i use on PSN) and got a call from them last week... they cancelled my card due to a 'security breach' and are sending me a new card ASAP.

DryvBy2 said:
I really hope they put PS1/2 support back due to this. If anything, in case this happens again, I can go play some back catalog.

Do you think they'll include the Emotion Engine in the next firmware update?

And all PS3s can play PS1 games.

Marleyman

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Well you said that they would hype and that's not what they're doing. They just told people why it's down and what they're doing to fix it. If that's an open invitation then there isn't much that they could do to avoid it.

Yeah, hyping isn't really the appropriate term to use to describe their statement.

MrPliskin

Banned
timetokill said:
Wasn't sure if it was posted, hard for me to keep up with the thread, but an excerpt of Tycho's post on the situation:

I see Tycho is still grounded in...well, not in reality. Crazy he would say shit like this, when he robbed me of FORTY FUCKING DOLLARS for two Penny Arcade titles with the intent to finish them, went silent for fucking AGES, and then cancelled the project, and ultimately told us they'd flesh it out in a comic.

...where is that comic again? Probably beneath the fucking money they got from me and others, I'm sure.

What a dick and a hypocrite all the way through. He's always been a self-entitled hot head though, so no surprise here.

bakeray

CadetMahoney said:
kazminister9d76.png

The downplaying and damage control is reaching new heights never thought imaginable.
lmao.. not enough Baghdad Bob photoshops these days.

Apparently Sony's PR team needs revamped as well.. this is terrible, regardless of what happens the entire company has completely dropped the ball on this whole situation.

LiK

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just checked my credit card statement and freaked when I found a $0.01 transaction....

... then I realised it was actually for the indie Humble bundle
Dude....

V_Ben

Banned
MrPliskin said:
I see Tycho is still grounded in...well, not in reality. Crazy he would say shit like this, when he robbed me of FORTY FUCKING DOLLARS for two Penny Arcade titles with the intent to finish them, went silent for fucking AGES, and then cancelled the project, and ultimately told us they'd flesh it out in a comic.

...where is that comic again? Probably beneath the fucking money they got from me and others, I'm sure.

What a dick and a hypocrite all the way through. He's always been a self-entitled hot head though, so no surprise here.
He finished the story on the site...

RbBrdMan said:
I know other 'game journalists' post on GAF. Read this and follow suit. Start putting the pressure on for real talk.

They didn't lay the pressure on Microsoft during the heydays of RROD. It was business as usual. What makes you think they'll do anything now?

surly

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Everyone worrying about their CC Info being stolen should be more worried about their address being compromised. I mean, Serial Killers could be on the loose, and that info could lead them to their next target! Why hasn't Sony told us to change our addresses yet? D:
Oh dear.

If there were serial killers out there that hacked into networks to steal addresses, then murdered some of the people that lived at those addresses, then yes, I would be concerned if my address was one of the ones stolen. Of course I would be. That doesn't happen though.

Hackers steal CC details because they intend to either use them themselves, or sell them on to someone else that will. It happens all the time, so of course I'm concerned if my CC details have been compromised, or may have been compromised in this case.

I haven't seen anyone on here screaming "OMG! My credit card details!!! What will I do????", so there's really no need for all these bullshit analogies and what not. It's only natural for people to be concerned if there's a risk that their personal info has been stolen.

androvsky

electroshockwave said:

Actually, the PS3 can emulate the Emotion Engine pretty well; given the way firmware updates works, all PS3s probably have the Emotion Engine emulation already, even if they don't use it.

The Graphics Synthesizer, on the other hand...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just checked my credit card statement and freaked when I found a $0.01 transaction....

How generous of you... one whole cent.

im half kidding

I love the penny arcade for today. Top shelf.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I NEED SCISSORS said:

Why does costanza have a second GAF account?

Interfectum

J-Rzez said:
Good thing these writers always find their balls when it comes to Sony. Unlike during MS's RRoD fiasco of them denying the issue for months on end, lying about it to everyone's faces, they just took a few light-hearted joking jabs. RRoD was the biggest gaming fiasco ever, especially considering how MS handled it, even worse than the old Playstation laser thing.

I had five 360s break on me but I thought MS handled it pretty well. A simple 5 minute phone call, coffin mailed to me, a week later I got a "new" one. Considering how bad they botched the system I thought they did pretty good damage control and the new systems seem to be RRoD free.

And I believe they were raked over the coals in the media and most still talk about it to this day (in passing). It's a permanent black eye on the 360.

mollipen

JetBlackPanda said:
I don't have or want any CC's so I linked my Debit Card to PSN.. checked my bank everything looks good.

There is no way I would eeeeeeever link a debit card to anything like this. I've never understood the argument against having a credit card - just learn self-restraint - but even if you really don't want one, don't like your debit card. It's a messier affair getting money back if something happens (from everything I've ever heard), and even if you do get the money back, until you do you have literally had cash taken away from you. With a credit card, you haven't.

MrPliskin

Banned
V_Ben said:
He finished the story on the site...

Definitely not the same. Most of what was there reads like a copy / paste of large portions of what they had written for the game, and is in no way anything I'm willing to accept as "closure". I much rather would have preferred a series of comics, but who am I kidding right? Why do I have any right to want something more than "okay here's this stuff thrown on a fancy parchment image". Especially after I spent so much money on their titles, knowing that they were destined for failure at their high price and archaic gameplay mechanics (though fantastic writing and art).

androvsky said:
Actually, the PS3 can emulate the Emotion Engine pretty well; given the way firmware updates works, all PS3s probably have the Emotion Engine emulation already, even if they don't use it.

The Graphics Synthesizer, on the other hand...

Yeah, that's what I meant. I don't know why I thought the EE was the GPU...

J-Rzez

DCharlie said:
.... reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally?

I mean, agreed that RRoD -was- shocking but light-hearted joking jabs is all that writers came up with??? naaah.

Seriously, I don't remember these "heavy hitting statements" too well then. All I know is that was the first time ever in my decades of gaming I felt had. And it all started on day-one with it, and MS blew it off for months. And even when it finally got picked up on major media sites, MS had their ace-card warranty statement ready to go. But even then machines were dying still and it "kinda" went away.

Even still though, I can't believe a maker just didn't properly test this out. They rushed it to the market as they thought that was their only chance to dethrone Sony, and they pushed it out the door at consumer's grief. I'm usually a "Day-One" gamer, I buy things usually soon as they launch, and even though I enjoyed many games on the 360, I will not buy the next-box for a good while (maybe a year plus even) because of it. MS should have gotten more heat and heavy hitting statements. But I think we all can agree that even though Sony mostly deserved the heat this gen, they got it worse than MS who made some even worse mistakes at times.

Interfectum said:
I had five 360s break on me but I thought MS handled it pretty well. A simple 5 minute phone call, coffin mailed to me, a week later I got a "new" one. Considering how bad they botched the system I thought they did pretty good damage control and the new systems seem to be RRoD free.

And I believe they were raked over the coals in the media and most still talk about it to this day (in passing). It's a permanent black eye on the 360.

I remember the first time I had to deal with it, it took them a month to get me a new machine, so that probably really set me off. You see RRoD jokes here and there, but nothing really "aggressive" set at them.

But this is all OT at this point.

Sony needs to fix this shit. I don't care if it's "free" or not, they need to get this thing up and running now. Hopefully they give something in return to it's consumers to make up for this as even though it's free, it's a bullet-point they used the entire gen, it sells games for them, and it's a feature we expect, thus we should get some compensation for this. Especially those of us wanting to get the dust off of SOCOM 4 that launched just last week. :p

And, glad to see other's here agree with me.

kinoki said:
Any more singing from your canary?

Well my canary has shutdown on me as of today because management (at SCE) is undergoing serious pains right now regarding the PSN SHUTDOWN, yesterday we talk and he told me that people should not be worried about their credit card info being stolen because, supposedly, SONY has checked and nothing was retrieve but it seems that the personal information of the users has actually been retreived, only a fraction of users though. And the same that they have estimates that by thursday the PSN will be up. That was all, he told me that he will try to give me a memo so that i could leaked it, but lets see if he keeps his word.

Oh and the last thing he told me is that SONY is going to prepare a full press release with exact and detailed information about the reason of the PSN Shutdown.

EDIT: Oh and supposedly SONY will lunch a new firmware update and new PSN TOS, don´t know if will be with the lunch of the PSN or by the week, but is a confirmed thing that SONY will lunch a new firmware and new PSN TOS before the ending month. Again this is what he told me.

DryvBy

electroshockwave said:

I'm sure they could emulate that garage if a PC can. I had the original PS3 for a while, then I took it apart and broke it (the girls don't find me handsome or handy.). So I now have a newer Slim. Are you saying I can just pop my PS1 disc into the drive and play my old junk?

If so, best thing I've heard all week!

LiK

DryvBy2 said:
I'm sure they could emulate that garage if a PC can. I had the original PS3 for a while, then I took it apart and broke it (the girls don't find me handsome or handy.). So I now have a newer Slim. Are you saying I can just pop my PS1 disc into the drive and play my old junk?

Yea, PS1 games are compatible wth all PS3s

shidoshi said:
I've never understood the argument against having a credit card - just learn self-restraint
I have several credit cards ranging from all-purpose to store specific. For big purchases? You better believe I'm financing them! But for little crap, let it be known that I'm a lazy man. Not using my credit card for measly day to day crap means that there's one less bill at the end of the month that I'll forget to pay. Ergo, it's a streamlining thing.

DryvBy2 said:
Are you saying I can just pop my PS1 disc into the drive and play my old junk?

You sure can.

We've had someone find out about this, and earlier EricHasNoPull found out he can change his icon. This truly is the thread that keeps on giving.

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Well my canary has shutdown on me as of today because management (at SCE) is undergoing serious pains right now regarding the PSN SHUTDOWN, yesterday we talk and he told me that people should not be worried about their credit card info being stolen because, supposedly, SONY has checked and nothing was retrieve but it seems that the personal information of the users has actually been retreived, only a fraction of users though. And the same that they have estimates that by thursday the PSN will be up. That was all, he told me that he will try to give me a memo so that i could leaked it, but lets see if he keeps his word.

Oh and the last thing he told me is that SONY is going to prepare a full press release with exact and detailed information about the reason of the PSN Shutdown.

Sounds pretty good.

jcm

Paco said:
Oh man, this just keeps getting worse.

Sony was well aware of how weak their online infrastructure was at least two years ago when they were shopping around for testing gear to find their security weaknesses (we were one of the vendors). We didn't win the deal, and I always wondered who they ended up going with...guess it didn't work out too well.

Posting shit like this on a message board is a great way to ensure your career in the security biz is a short one. "Ability to keep your mouth shut" is an important criteria for evaluating security vendors.

Holy shit, can't believe I even came so close to getting a PS3, what's going on here?

Hope sony hasn't fucked any of you too bad :(

Or will they stem the bleeding by the end of the year?

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
. . . SONY is going to prepare a full press release with exact and detailed information about the reason of the PSN Shutdown.

Does that mean an entirely new thread and new underwear? I just got used to this thread. Underpants. . . who needs 'em.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
DryEyeRelief said:
They didn't lay the pressure on Microsoft during the heydays of RROD. It was business as usual. What makes you think they'll do anything now?

A pig just flew past my window!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom