• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

webrunner

DUN GOOFD said:
real reason PSN is down

Makes no sense.

1. Why take down the real network if the dev network is down?
2. Why take down anything but the store/CC processing if it wasn't at the PSN account level?

[Nintex]

DryEyeRelief said:
They didn't lay the pressure on Microsoft during the heydays of RROD. It was business as usual. What makes you think they'll do anything now?
That's a load of shit and you guys know it. They went to China and had engineers disassemble Xbox 360's to identify the problem. They made jokes about the RROD every single day, Microsoft got grilled for that fiasco to the point that Peter Moore left and Microsoft had to reserve $1 billion for repairs.

It's true that they could've brought it up more in interviews and such but pretty much every media outlet reported on the RROD multiple times

jcm

I NEED SCISSORS said:
I paid with Paypal and I don't think they take a percentage. If they do then.. lol

Do you think paypal works for free? Paypal got that penny, not the devs. I'm sure they really appreciate the thought, though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That seems like it would be a big problem, but don't forget the tendency these types of sites have to think that everything has something to do with the "awesome" hax they're doing.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
webrunner said:
Makes no sense.

1. Why take down the real network if the dev network is down?
2. Why take down anything but the store/CC processing if it wasn't at the PSN account level?

Makes for entertaining speculation.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
lupinko said:
Actually, I heard some other things about it.

And no, unlike my other journalistic dynamite, this will stay close to the chest.
spill the beans

RbBrdMan said:
Ralph at 7-11 told me Cheetos were made from real cheddar cheese.
I highly doubt thats why psn was taken down but the pure fact that people were doing that is ridiculous.

Arklite

Well, there probably sure as hell will never be another console that even thinks about allowing access to the hardware through something like Linux ever again. headaches all around.

Someone should just go and tread the poisonous, murky swamp that is 4chan and see if there's any information about this crap, hidden somewhere between images of loli, gore and furries.

lupinko

V_Ben said:
I miss the teasing lupinko :p

Fine, with regards to that reddit story, I leave you guys with this.

343lpnt.jpg

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
charsace said:
So if this is true didn't sony just make themselves an even bigger target for hackers?

If its true, then wouldn't that be the big reason why they're rebuilding the network?

RustyNails said:
Someone should just go and tread the poisonous, murky swamp that is 4chan and see if there's any information about this crap, hidden somewhere between images of loli, gore and furries.

Last I checked, they were as ticked about PSN being down as we are.

EDIT: Just checked, they're just saying what they're doing to pass the time since PSN is down. It's actually quite civil. ^O^

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
MThanded said:
spill the beans

I highly doubt thats why psn was taken down but the pure fact that people were doing that is ridiculous.

I paid with a credit card too. I'm fucked.

Dem beans, they need spilt.

kodt

Banned
NullPointer said:
Even in a trusted environment why wouldn't you verify CC info? It'd seem to me to be more work to have the cc verification on in one place and off in another then to just keep the system working securely under all conditions.

For testing purposes, if you are testing PSN purchases you don't want to have your card charged or any real transaction to take place.

NateDrake

Would be epic if it went live tomorrow and we got Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI on the USA Store. Would kind of makeup for it.

HaRyu said:
Wouldn't help the CFW cause in the eyes of the general gaming populace, that's for sure.
I personally think it has no bearing on the CFW scene. If this is the reason, then I fully place the blame on Sony for shutting down the network. So, honest, paying customers are denied access to functionality they paid for and their ability to buy more products because some people found an exploit in their system? And frankly, this doesn't sound like it should be that difficult to fix. Then again, I don't know their infrastructure, but still...

But anyway, you really think that this can or should score political points against the homebrew scene? Sony incompetently manages their network, overreacts to a problem and makes it so that everyone is affected, and the assumption is "man, this is going to be a blow to the people who defended GeoHot"?

That's why, again, I don't really buy that as the reason.

Arklite said:
Well, there probably sure as hell will never be another console that even thinks about allowing access to the hardware through something like Linux ever again. headaches all around.

Yep. PlayStation 3 was one of the most open systems available. PlayStation 4 is going to be covered in bubble-wrap.

Forsete

Arklite said:

Yup.. :/

I hope Sony doesn't go overboard with protecting PS4 though. Like proprietary "USB" slots, or some special Sony branded storage device.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
NullPointer said:
This doesnt make sense to me:

Even in a trusted environment why wouldn't you verify CC info? It'd seem to me to be more work to have the cc verification on in one place and off in another then to just keep the system working securely under all conditions.
Because they are dev consoles. It is like Xbox's Partner Net, you are allowed to download everything for free.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
lupinko said:

343lpnt.jpg
So you are saying psn became self aware and decided to hack itself committing some sort of some form of digital seppuku.

BeeDog said:
Why are we listening to what arnoldocastillo2003 and lupinko are saying, again?
Never question lupinko.

NullPointer said:
This doesnt make sense to me:

Because developers probably need to be able to test downloading stuff and running them and don't want to charge a real credit card all the time? Still, there should be special "dev" PSN accounts that are able to bypass this, not just by having a dev firmware.

And I would not be surprised at all if this was the cause.

KAOz

Short bus special
lupinko said:

http://i51.tinypic.com/343lpnt.jpg

So, people were busy doing all that stuff. Then Sony installed some of the CWF on one of their machines, just to test what it does. They run it, and manage to compromise their own network, and start shitting bricks. Sony then hopes nobody has done what they just did, and shut it all down to fix it.

So in the end, it was all Sony.

What a twist?

Forsete said:
Yup.. :/

I hope Sony doesn't go overboard with protecting PS4 though. Like proprietary "USB" slots, or some special Sony branded storage device.

it'd be cool if they just made a simple console that plays games instead of facefucking people with "features."

jcm

KAOz said:
So, people were busy doing all that stuff. Then Sony installed some of the CWF on one of their machines, just to test what it does. They run it, and manage to compromise their own network, and start shitting bricks. Sony then hopes nobody has done what they just did, and shut it all down to fix it.

What a twist?

Kevin Butler has been dead the whole time.

V_Ben

Banned
KAOz said:

What a twist?
Sony bringing down their own network sounds hilariously perfect.

Arklite said:
Sadly, you're probably right. We'll go back to the days of stupid proprietary shit that gets marked up 800%....smfh

Arklite

Steve Youngblood said:
I personally think it has no bearing on the CFW scene. If this is the reason, then I fully place the blame on Sony for shutting down the network. So, honest, paying customers are denied access to functionality they paid for and their ability to buy more products because some people found an exploit in their system? And frankly, this doesn't sound like it should be that difficult to fix.

CFW users can do whatever they want to do to their systems. However, they should stay the hell out of PSN. You can't place full blame on one party when their actions are reactions to someone else.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Arklite said:
Isn't this more of an issue of execrable security compounded by boneheaded mistakes? Linux isn't exactly associated with these type of problems.

Forsete

Smision said:
it'd be cool if they just made a simple console that plays games instead of facefucking people with "features."

The more bling the better, IMO. :)
Less devices needs to be hooked up to my TV if one device can do all the jobs.

PS3 was perfect at that, I expect PS4 to keep going that direction. Lets hope these attacks dont make things harder for us paying customers.

Arklite said:
CFW users can do whatever they want to do to their systems. However, they should stay the hell out of PSN. You can't place full blame on one party when their actions are reactions to someone else.
But their reaction affects everyone. I just don't understand how people can think this makes for good PR:

Honest consumer: "So, why can't I play games online and buy stuff off of PSN?"

Sony: "Because other people are doing something that has absolutely no bearing on you and were stealing from our network due to our crappy security."

Honest consumer: "Oh, that's cool. Yeah, take all the time you need. I don't care about this important functionality. Damn homebrew advocates!"

Do you really think that's how this sounds? Because I sure as hell don't.

Barrett2

The twist is that devs are trying to steal your CC info!!!

Wait a minute, that adorable BLUE HAT on Sub Zero.... bought itself!?!?!

FINALBOSS

Banned
What the fuck is with the title?

It's way too ominous and meant to stir up unneeded drama.

You guys are crazy if you think credit card stuff was stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom