• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevelyon

dock said:
I had fraudulent use on my credit card registered with PSN today. :(

Could be coincidence, but someone was trying to use it with Netflix (!) - You can't even get Netflix in the UK. :/

How much are we talking here, if I may ask.

lupinko

Smision said:
aka shitty security.

Well, if it wasn't for the service dongle leak there would have never been any of this. But that has more to do with employee ethics than anything.

And the then-static variable.

test_account

XP-39C²
Smision said:
that was literally because nobody cared about it. once the ball got rolling, it took about a minute to bust wide open.

THEY LEFT THE KEYS IN THE SYSTEM. people sign PSP games to run on official firmware.

wow.
I dont think they did this. I thought one guy found out the keys through calculation?

dock said:
I had fraudulent use on my credit card registered with PSN today.
Quite a few ppl have had some sort of small transaction going on. I presume thieves testing the waters.

Lots of cancellations going on in this thread and someone mentioned their card being refused at starbucks. Someone even moved all their money to their mothers account.

If Sony say CC is safe would anyone believe them? This is getting to be real serious. I don't expect to see anymore "quit whining", "sense of entitlement" posts from now on.

test_account

XP-39C²
mugurumakensei said:
For the ps3, this is correct. The psp keys were stored in the ps3.
Oh ok, i see. I guess it was because of the PS Minis emulator?

Smision said:
aka shitty security.

sony gets all the blame. other companies deal with this without shitting on their customers and ignoring them.
If there is an unloyal employee within a company, you cant always do much about it security wise.

Which company has been in the same situation and given out much information about it?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
and the news hits FauxNews

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/25/hackers-bring-playstation-network-stolen-credit-cards/
Sony Corp. was trying to determine Monday whether users' credit card numbers or other personal information had been compromised as the outage of its global PlayStation Network entered a sixth day, PC World reported.

The company confirmed that an "external intrusion" by hackers disrupted the service, affecting more than 75 million users worldwide who use it to play video games against friends online, stream movies and shop online.

Sony Computer Entertainment spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka said the company was conducting a "thorough investigation" into the outage, which began April 20.

He said Sony did not yet know if users' credit card information or other personal information had been compromised in the attack, but the company would immediately inform users if it had.

A posting on the official PlayStation blog Monday by Patrick Seybold, Sony senior director of corporate communications and social media, gave no indication when PlayStation Network service might return.

"Unfortunately, I don't have an update or timeframe to share at this point in time," Seybold wrote. "We'll keep you updated with information as it becomes available."

Seybold said late Saturday that Sony was completely rebuilding its systems to strengthen its network infrastructure.

Players can still play games offline, but are unable to challenge others over the internet, one of the console's key features.

Hacker group Anonymous was originally suspected of causing the disruption as it had previously vowed retribution against the Japanese electronics giant after it took legal action two hackers.

However, in a message on its website Friday, titled "For Once We Didn't Do It," the group denied responsibility, saying that while it was possible that individual hackers had targeted the network, Sony was not an official target.

Wario64 said:
GAMES "JOURNALISM"

Shadybiz

No shady activity with my CC yet, but I'm the paranoid type. Pain in the butt part is that I pay most of my bills with that card, because it's my rewards card, so I don't want to cancel it. Crap.

jorma

is now taking requests
_dementia said:
You should pay attention to that regardless

Not that i disagree with your assertion, but having to do that is still a huge pain in the ass for me. I only use it online with 3 different retailers anyway so until now i felt pretty safe.

CadetMahoney said:
Quite a few ppl have had some sort of small transaction going on. I presume thieves testing the waters.

Lots of cancellations going on in this thread and someone mentioned their card being refused at starbucks. Someone even moved all their money to their mothers account.

If Sony say CC is safe would anyone believe them? This is getting to be real serious. I don't expect to see anymore "quit whining", "sense of entitlement" posts from now on.

No need to scare people man, you dont know if its because of this current situation.

BeeDog

Jive Turkey said:
Haha! That's awesome. Would have been better coming from Microsoft's PR department.

Who's to say it didn't? It's IGN, after all.

And lulz at the article in general; hopefully shit like this will light a candle under Sony's ass.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PepsimanVsJoe said:
So uh.....are we going to get a free game or something if PSN ever comes back?

if there is some kind of compensation, I would bet on a free month or so of PS+

Also, IGN article is funny but only because it'll probably make people on the internet angry.

linsivvi

snap0212 said:
You did a great job only reading the first part of my first sentence.

I fail to see how this is related to the PSN in any way.

That is exactly not what I am bitching about. I didn't even mention pricing at all. Don't put words in my mouth.

Again, what you said was:

Store updates: Countless different Stores with different content. Why don't we have one single Store that updates the same time every single week?

To have one single store means you have one price and with the same contents available worldwide, that is a given. I don't need to put any word in your mouth. What your little sentence implied it. Having different pricing in different countries and with different contents means they are not the same store.

No matter how you twist it, Apple, Microsoft, Steam, Amazon, all do not have a worldwide store that's the same for every country.

Oh and Amazon sells downloadable games and music, so how is that NOT related?

I have given you numerous example that nobody has been able to have one single store worldwide, and yet you keep insisting you're right.

snap0212 said:
My main problem (and I think everyone but you actually understood that) was that Microsoft is able to release content in all western regions on the same day (Wednesday).

LOL. Wow you're a piece of work. Now only did the goal post moved from a single unified store (which is what you said) to contents released on the same day. Now the goal post is moved further to Western regions only?

snap0212 said:
I'm done with this discussion.:)

Yes you should.

Wario64 said:

Is Xbox LIVE working?
is-the-playstation-network-working-20110425111545122_1303762605.jpg

At least if you read the comments you can tell that the editors are just fucking with the IGN PS3 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom