• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

lol51

ChocolateCupcakes said:
So now I'm going to have to check my cc every hour. This is getting me really paranoid.

if you are that worried, you could preemptively ask for a reissue from your credit/debit card provider...

Maybe if the dev network let people have infinite funds and hackers "bought" huge numbers of psn cards (not sure if the dev network really lets you do that), Sony would have to shut down the store to prevent these cards from being redeemed.

test_account

XP-39C²
MechDX said:
Kind of odd MS didnt use this to steal some users from PSN. Offer a free weekend and new LIVE users like a year for $30 or something. Ultimate MS troll.
Wasnt it free Live Gold weekend this weekend? I think that it was planned before the PSN outage though.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
FINALBOSS said:
Any group of determined and organized script kiddies can get anything done. It's just a matter of...being determined and organized. If they felt like going after XBL, they would have taken that down too.
Having your entire protocol based on HTTP(s) webservices makes it a much easier target than a proprietary (as far as I know) protocol like the one used for Xbox Live. First it enables DDOS attacks from any botnet, but also makes automated testing for injections much more easier as well.
Not that using webservices is a bad idea, it just facilitates finding issues if done improperly. Sony more than likely based part of their client/server security on the fact that the client side (the PS3 itself) wasn't hackable and thus all the HTTPS communication would never be decrypted. Once you know what a webservice uses as parameters, it's easy to automate a testing system, or even just play around it from your browser directly.

Psi

Jive Turkey said:
Haha! That's awesome. Would have been better coming from Microsoft's PR department.

boat.jpg

There should be no surprise.

AppleBlade

I had $600 dollars in fraudulent withdrawals this weekend out of the debit card that I had associated with my PSN account. I do not know if it was related, but just a heads up.

MrVargas said:
I had $600 dollars in fraudulent withdrawals this weekend out of the debit card that I had associated with my PSN account. I do not know if it was related, but just a heads up.

Guys can you please stop scaring folks on the board, unless your certain, come on man.

Trevelyon

Sho_Nuff82 said:
At least if you read the comments you can tell that the editors are just fucking with the IGN PS3 team.

Did their tinychat window close permantely or something, they couldn't break balls privately? not sure why this just had to be an article, especially when people's personal details could be exposed and fraudulent deductions could be being made right now across and a wide spectrum.

Just to shit-stir the yokles in the office down the hall.

watership

Edag Plata said:
All the fanboys forget about that Xbox Live brownout during the holidays a few years back I guess.
They're obviously messing with the IGN PS3 team here, read the comments. And no one in this thread has let anyone forget the 2007 XBL outage. But its not in the same class of interruption of service.

One was degraded the other is OFF.

dreamer3kx said:
Guys can you please stop scaring folks on the board, unless your certain, come on man.
Unless you think they're spreading bad information intentionally to make Sony look bad, I don't see what's so egregious about it. It's just anecdotal information that may or may not mean anything.

jcm

dreamer3kx said:

Blame Sony. Some actual, concrete information could nip the whole thing in the bud. They haven't provided it, so naturally people will speculate.

Koshiro

dock said:
A handful of $5.00 or sub $5.00 payments. :(

Going to take me ages to deal with hassles of cc change.
I'm a little alarmed by this, but it may be a coincidence. Will be watching my account like a hawk until Sony come clean one way or the other.

teiresias

No mysterious activity on my credit card as of right now. Crossing fingers, though I may have them replace the card in a few weeks anyway, just in case.

Edag Plata said:
All the fanboys forget about that Xbox Live brownout during the holidays a few years back I guess.

Perhaps, but they have people in this thread to constantly remind them of something that happened over 3 years ago.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The poor SONY chaps need a hug right now:

* Hugs SONY *
* Hugs PS DEVs *

see5harp

Really though Gears 3 beta starts tonight for the non Bulletstorm people. I know plenty of PS3 gamers who will be playing that.

Massa

Steve Youngblood said:
IGN's PC guys should totally get in on these lovable hijinks and brag about having access to online that not only works, but is also free.

Yep, Steam servers never go offline. Not even when there's a big sale or new Valve game coming out.

Of course, that's because Valve would never allow a hacker to get into their network to begin with.

Phonomezer said:
Perhaps, but they have people in this thread to constantly remind them of something that happened over 3 years ago.

Lol, both sides are guilty of bringing back a consoles past... Just like how PS3 still has no games, or something of that sorts, and 360 still RRODs.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Massa said:
Yep, Steam servers never go offline. Not even when there's a big sale or new Valve game coming out.

Of course, that's because Valve would never allow a hacker to get into their network to begin with.
Iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg

Dizzy-4U said:
You're safe from my X-23 for now!!!
IMscZ.gif
Unas ganas tenia de jugar un SSFIV o un mahvel baybe! El fin de semana que viene tal vez?

Massa said:

Gaben-san eats hackers <3

Fersis

phosphor112 said:
Gaben-san eats hackers <3
Like the time someone stole the HL source code?
And i think there was also time when some guys stole stuff from the Steam network.

Robbers gonna rob.

Fersis said:
Like the time someone stole the HL source code?
And i think there was also time when some guys stole stuff from the Steam network.

He was clearly on a diet at that time. Since then, he's only gotten larger.. he's caught onto them.

-viper-

Banned
Interfectum said:
I had five 360s break on me but I thought MS handled it pretty well. A simple 5 minute phone call, coffin mailed to me, a week later I got a "new" one. Considering how bad they botched the system I thought they did pretty good damage control and the new systems seem to be RRoD free.

And I believe they were raked over the coals in the media and most still talk about it to this day (in passing). It's a permanent black eye on the 360.
you missed out a week's worth of playing games. jokes on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom