• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

This is probably going to end up better than it was before. Maybe they'll upgrade their trophy servers so they can handle automatic syncing.

slider

MechDX said:
Compensation for what? A free, optional service being down?

Whilst I'm fairly relaxed about the downtime, and have sympathy when folk (including corporations) get into a very awkward public spot, I'd say PSN is an integral part of the PS3 experience.

Opinions will vary though.

see5harp said:
This is probably going to end up better than it was before. Maybe they'll upgrade their trophy servers so they can handle automatic syncing.

Aside from security I don't think there will be any immediate improvements when it's back online. They're probably too busy rushing to solve the issue and get PSN back on to include any extra niceties.

And I thought that auto-syncing trophies would have been an OS issue rather than a server issue.

Vyer

MechDX said:

If it actually stops you from using other elements of the system or other things you did pay for - the multiplayer aspect of the games you buy, for example - because they are dependent on the service, the 'optional' part is a little less black and white, IMO.

Not that I expect there to be any kind of compensation.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Massa said:
Yep, Steam servers never go offline. Not even when there's a big sale or new Valve game coming out.

Of course, that's because Valve would never allow a hacker to get into their network to begin with.
Down for a couple hours is different from being down for five or six days. Obviously.

That second part is kind of funny.

see5harp said:

I would love to think that some beneficial user-facing change/gift will come of this, but I highly suspect that IF they can get their network stabalized and relaunched, it'll probably just be business as usual and our 'reward' will be to enjoy the psn as we have been prior to this incident.

d0c_zaius

bathala said:
reminds me.

gonna play Co-op online tonight

im patting you on the back but you cant tell because you are too busy doing the same

MechDX said:

Let me know when you can transfer a PSP game you paid for to your PSP so you can, you know, play the game.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
MechDX said:

No, not for the free part.

Is it me, or do we have this conversation on every page in this thread at least once?

MechDX said:
But the system still works without PSN. It plays games and Bluray still.

Try Final Fight.

kdash7

btkadams said:

Sorry..but how? Whenever I try to get into Netflix it keeps asking me to log in into my PSN account. I kept passing that and when I finally clicked on any show/movie it popped a message that the network is not unavailable...

DiscoJer

MechDX said:

Compensation for being locked out of my PSP account, rendering it almost useless?

(Yes, maybe my case is extreme, since I change accounts a couple times every week to do reviews, but still, it sucks)

KingK

I wouldn't really be pissed if they don't give us compensation for PSN being down, but it would be really nice and good PR to do so I think.

WOW @ that IGN piece
of shit
. Had someone posted it verbatim as a thread on GAF the OP would be permabanned so fast...

Even by IGN standards, that is low.

slider

KingK said:
I wouldn't really be pissed if they don't give us compensation for PSN being down, but it would be really nice and good PR to do so I think.

When they offer, umm, Flower then you'll see shit hit the fan.

Disclaimer: I love Flower.

According to PSX-Scene former moderator, "chesh," the now six-day-long PlayStation Network outage is the result of a particularly exploitative custom firmware (CFW) modification. In a post on Reddit, chesh claims that a CFW known as "Codename: Rebug" had given its users the ability to log into PSN as if they were doing so from a developer console (or "debug unit").

As a result, chesh contends, this same exploit allowed its users to add funds from "dummy" credit card accounts into their PSN wallets, ostensibly giving them the ability to "unlock" (read: steal) PlayStation Store content. Joystiq's research into the purported exploit has turned up multiple tutorials detailing the process, which appears alarmingly easy to execute on consoles running the Rebug CFW.

The hack does not allow its users to access the credit card or other personal information of PSN users, chesh adds. Nevertheless, as we reported earlier today, Sony is working to rule out information theft as part of its investigation during the maintenance outage in which the company is also implementing new security measures.

Sony has not yet responded to our request for comment on this story.

Let's read that bolded part again:
The hack does not allow its users to access the credit card or other personal information of PSN users, chesh adds.

spats

equiprimordial said:
My gmail just got hacked, might have been from PSN exposure. Recommend turning on 2-step verification for anyone who has gmail.

I just spilled my milk. Fuck you Ken Kutaragi, it's all your fault.

snack said:
GAF is getting publicity. Let's crack open a bottle of champagne. It's time to celebrate!
Lol, did that site just went down for everyone else?

Edit: Working again. Rather sad news story to report for a website, even such a small one.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
equiprimordial said:
My gmail just got hacked, might have been from PSN exposure. Recommend turning on 2-step verification for anyone who has gmail.

Must be from PSN exposure. It's the most logical explanation!

x3sphere

AnEternalEnigma said:
Let's read that bolded part again:

And there's no evidence at all that hack is why Sony took the network offline. Think about it... why wouldn't they just shut down the dev servers instead of taking the ENTIRE network offline?

Is Sony's infrastructure that poor? I doubt it. Something bigger happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom