• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PSN Hacked [Major Update In OP, Stolen Info Detailed, Partly Up Within A Week]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

DiGiKerot said:
For some strange reason, Channel 4 News in the UK are using footage from Sonic 4 for this news story.

Because, obviously, people are just dying to get on PSN to download that.

I saw a new story on TV a couple of weeks ago about the Grammys recognizing video game music, and they used the opening movie from FFVIII as their stock footage.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
AbsoluteZero said:
Seriously? Everything you want to play HAS to be played online?

Yes, I already played through the single player of all games enough times, I need to kill some Helghast and slap some Sackboys.

Fuck it, I just rented Socom 4, SP better not be as shitty as I heard. brb

[Nintex]

MThanded said:
Somebody is getting fired over this. They are going to make someone take the fall for this. Heads will roll.
Hopefully Kaz, to think that clown is the most likely to take over Stringer's position as CEO when he retires is just crazy.

TommyT

EricHasNoPull said:
You totally missed his point. TommyT doesn't want to see people helping unfortunate Eartquake victims and orphan children around world. Which I kind of find a little disturbing.
:lol oh lawds

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Tiduz said:
olduz? real sony or fake?

http://www.facebook.com/SonyPlayStationDanmark/posts/156526554410085

SCEE will shortly send an email out to all PSN users. PSN was subjected to an attack by an external hacker militia and SCEE themselves have taken the PSN downbefore more damage was done. When we send out email to more than 77,000,000users, there might be some time before everyone receives it.

well it looks like it's their actual fb. it's linked here: http://dk.playstation.com/

yyr

RedNumberFive said:
It was anywhere from a week to a month depending on which server your gamertag was associated with. I was on one of those servers that took a month. I would have been happy with them just extending XBL for me for another month. Instead I got some shitty scuba steve game.

Still, during the XBL "problems" in 2007 you could generally connect to XBL, download things (slowly), play single-player games that used leaderboards, get Achievements, etc. without any issues. Online multiplayer was affected, but it was still possible.

The problems took over two weeks to go away for my account, but it was mostly just the occasional annoying logout and spots of laggy gameplay that bothered me... it was still way better than not being able to connect at all.

Since then, XBL has been rock-solid with no issues whatsoever, for me at least.

I'm not a fanboy, and I'm not going to say anything like "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR DERP HURRRRRRRRRR," but anyone who's saying "this happens on 360 too" is mistaken.

Hopefully, this'll get fixed soon, and we'll all learn that our credit cards are safe and no data was lost.

daffy

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
Do you understand how PR works? It's not all or nothing. It's not as though sending someone up to the podium to answer some questions or make a statement entails them laying out every single thing that they know about. They don't have to go into any depth whatsoever. However, wouldn't it be just swell if they sent someone out there to serve as the face of this situation in an attempt to assuage the public that they're doing everything they can and give some clue as to what's going on? Because that's what most organizations do.
So what more can they tell us other than the external intrusion and that they are rebuilding? Do you want a constant twitter/playstation blog update explaining to the press how they are fixing servers?

Do you want them to name names of who they think did this? Or tell us it was them and they're sorry?

What will PR say to us right now?

Marius_ said:
Yes, I already played through the single player of all games enough times, I need to kill some Helghast and slap some Sackboys.

Why would you rent SOCOM 4, of all games? You could have rented a good SP game and waited to rent SOCOM 4 when the online was actually functional...

bob page

Marius_ said:

The SP is pretty mediocre but not terrible. The multiplayer is incredible and it sucks that we only had a couple days to play it before this incident.

Good news! So after Sony's failure of communication they've hired a new PR person to communicate the situation.

07-minister.jpg

PLAYSTATION®NETWORK STATUS UPDATE

Tokyo, April 26, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that the PlayStation®Network for the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system has had it's most successful week ever as it becomes a worldwide talking point.

The PlayStation®Network has been one of the most discussed topics in recent days through stories on television and a high volume of discussion on the social networking website Twitter.

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf, the new head of misdirection for SCEI, stated: "There are no problems with the Playstation®Network for the PlayStation®3 system".

"In fact, the public discussion surrounding the Playstation®Network for the PlayStation®3 system just goes to show how much people want to use it, showing what a successful problem," he added.

"The whole idea of the Playstation®Network is to allow gamers to connect - not to play games, like some people have said this week - and no event has done it like this. Everyone is joining together to express their want for the Playstation®Network™!"

SCEI requests users who want to use the Playstation®Network for the PlayStation®3 system and Playstation®Portable™ Console®™² remain patient as they will be updated after a period of time before the end of days happens and all life in the universe is consumed.

END

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
JonathanEx said:
Good news! So after Sony's failure of communication they've hired a new PR person to communicate the situation.

http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Fake, Playstation 3 isn't in all caps

FTH said:
What will PR say to us right now?
Umm... something, anything. It's their job to come up with this stuff. That's what they are there for. If consumers were just supposed to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that the company was comprised of swell individuals doing everything they can who deserve some slack cut their way, they wouldn't have people on staff who work in the Public Relations department. Note the word Public.

Wario64 said:
Fake, Playstation 3 isn't in all caps
Happens less on some press releases.

And I wouldn't know that because of the one that I didn't copy the stuff from one about the Move selling 4.1million. And why did they send one out for 4.1million? Why not 4?

Oh right yes that didn't happen ahem

Psy-Phi

bob page said:
Are you kidding me? This is a billion dollar corporation that is supposed to specialize in technology. It's inexcusable for IT departments at a firm this large to let crap like this happen (hell, it's even inexcusable for the firm I manage IT for, which is only 50ish people). If I were in charge of IT at Sony, I would fire everyone in charge of putting this crappy infrastructure together.
Your small firm is not on the radar of hackers like the ones trying here. Large companies and governments are constantly under assault. And every day doing everything in their power to make sure every security hole is patched. When all it takes is a single piece of software with the capability of using a flaw in it's code to corrupt memory or create a buffer overflow which allows someone remote access to the system....it becomes painfully obvious that the bigger the target the harder it is to stay ahead of the hackers.

And with a system as widely used as PSN, it's challenging to patch up security flaws without taking the network down. And I don't think they really take it down monthly to address those problems. But then I'm not on PSN 24-7 so maybe they have been at like 3 AM?

Still, I understand. I also work in System Operations, and I've seen sister sites to our own get decimated by zero day hacks, due in part to some laziness on the IT side sometimes, but not every time.

The only reason PSN is still down is they're trying to make sure this won't happen again. I'm sure they could have come back up with that security flaw patched but still existent. And it's good that they'd prefer to fix it instead of patch it.

bob page

JonathanEx said:

07-minister.jpg
The sad part is, I can imagine them taking this situation and trying to put a positive spin on it like this.

Psy-Phi said:
Your small firm is not on the radar of hackers. Large companies and governments are constantly under assault. And every day doing everything in their power to make sure every security hole is patched. When all it takes is a single piece of software with the capability of using a flaw in it's code to corrupt memory or create a buffer overflow which allows someone remote access to the system....it becomes painfully obvious that the bigger the target the harder it is to stay ahead of the hackers.

And with a system as widely used as PSN, it's challenging to patch up security flaws without taking the network down. And I don't think they really take it down monthly to address those problems. But then I'm not on PSN 24-7 so maybe they have been at like 3 AM?

Still, I understand. I also work in System Operations, and I've seen sister sites to our own get decimated by zero day hacks, due in part to some laziness on the IT side sometimes, but not every time.

The only reason PSN is still down is they're trying to make sure this won't happen again. I'm sure they could have come back up with that security flaw patched but still existent. And it's good that they'd prefer to fix it instead of patch it.

As my main job, I'm an IT auditor so I'm not only experienced with small firms. Some clients I've worked with were Fortune 100 companies and their IT systems can be just as large. I understand that there's no way for them to expect something like this to happen, but most companies like Sony take TONS of preventative action and put millions into securing their network infrastructure. When you have so many accounts, of which contain sensitive user information, it's your duty to do whatever you can to secure that data (and at whatever cost). At the end of the day, it's probably costing Sony WAY more to repair everything after this incident, not to mention the negative impacts to their brand, than the cost of putting extra resources into security & infrastructure.

yyr said:
Still, during the XBL "problems" in 2007 you could generally connect to XBL, download things, play single-player games that used leaderboards, get Achievements, etc. without any issues. Online multiplayer was affected, but it was still possible.

The problems took over two weeks to go away for my account, but it was mostly just the occasional annoying logout and spots of laggy gameplay that bothered me... it was still way better than not being able to connect at all.

Since then, XBL has been rock-solid with no issues whatsoever, for me at least.

I'm not a fanboy, and I'm not going to say anything like "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR DERP HURRRRRRRRRR," but anyone who's saying "this happens on 360 too" is mistaken.

Hopefully, this'll get fixed soon, and we'll all learn that our credit cards are safe and no data was lost.
Like I said in my post. Your user experience during the XBL outage of '07 varied due to which server your gamertag was associated with. I had buddies at work that had, at most, a week of intermittent problems. For myself, and some others that I knew, we had zero access to XBL for close to a month. No friends lists, no leaderboards, no demos, and especially no online play. I'm not saying that one was worst than the other, but to say that Live was having minor problems for only a week is not based in fact.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Beardz said:
I see bans incoming.

You see banned people?

AbsoluteZero said:
Seriously? Everything you want to play HAS to be played online?

Unless you have a local scene (and probably not even then), Marvel 3/SSF4/MK9/Marvel 2/BB/GG/et. al. WANTS to be played online.

Battlefield is pretty much an ONLINE FOCUSED game.

So, yes. CURRENT GENERATION games have focused on online services.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
bob page said:
The sad part is, I can imagine them taking this situation and trying to put a positive spin on it like this.

Of course they will. That's what PR does. "We are dedicated to providing the most secure platform for all of our loyal fans, etc, etc."

daffy

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
Umm... something, anything. It's their job to come up with this stuff. That's what they are there for. If consumers were just supposed to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that the company was comprised of swell individuals doing everything they can who deserve some slack cut their way, they wouldn't have people on staff who work in the Public Relations department. Note the word Public.
They've given us a Public Relations statement already. When they finish rebuilding or have a clear uptime, then I would expect a detailed explanation and what they are doing to prevent this from happening again. That's just me though I guess.

I bet even Sony doesn't know when they will finish or all the details on the outage just yet, but I bet they're also working their asses off to get it back up.

TheSeks said:
You see banned people?

Unless you have a local scene (and probably not even then), Marvel 3/SSF4/MK9/Marvel 2/BB/GG/et. al. WANTS to be played online.

Battlefield is pretty much an ONLINE FOCUSED game.

So, yes. CURRENT GENERATION games have focused on online services.

Which means fans aren't the only ones Sony is hearing it from right now. I bet publishers are going kinda ape right now. No PSN means no tchotchke sales.

Carl

The Lamonster said:
The update wouldn't contain any real information anyway.

You never know. They aren't helping themselves by promising statements several times (according to Rory Cellan-Jones) and still not giving any.

LiK

JonathanEx said:

07-minister.jpg
c'mon, you need to put the Libyan PR dude instead. More current.

LiK said:
c'mon, you need to put the Libyan PR dude instead. More current.

Please, this downtime's not ending soon, can milk this joke for more than it's worth with a range of new PR people over the next week!

methos75

Banned

Tokyo, April 26, 2011 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that the PlayStation®Network for the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system has had it's most successful week ever as it becomes a worldwide talking point.

The PlayStation®Network has been one of the most discussed topics in recent days through stories on television and a high volume of discussion on the social networking website Twitter.

Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf, the new head of misdirection for SCEI, stated: "There are no problems with the Playstation®Network for the PlayStation®3 system".

"In fact, the public discussion surrounding the Playstation®Network for the PlayStation®3 system just goes to show how much people want to use it, showing what a successful problem," he added.

"The whole idea of the Playstation®Network is to allow gamers to connect - not to play games, like some people have said this week - and no event has done it like this. Everyone is joining together to express their want for the Playstation®Network™!"

SCEI requests users who want to use the Playstation®Network for the PlayStation®3 system and Playstation®Portable™ Console®™² remain patient as they will be updated after a period of time before the end of days happens and all life in the universe is consumed.

END

LOL I posted this on Gamefaqs and 80% of them thought it real LOL

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
methos75 said:

END

Link us.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
methos75 said:

END

you dun goofed.

BeeDog

Seeing as how the OP hasn't been updated for a while, it seems that chubigans:

1) Either died, or...

2) ... started writing erotic God of War fan-fiction full-time.

I bet on number 2.

baekshi

Banned
methos75 said:

END

for real.

FTH said:
They've given us a Public Relations statement already. When they finish rebuilding or have a clear uptime, then I would expect a detailed explanation and what they are doing to prevent this from happening again. That's just me though I guess.
But that's vague wishy-washy nonsense that doesn't tell me anything. I would expect them, as part of their job, to assuage people that the situation is under control and that they're working to make customers happy.

Essentially, let's say a buddy of mine is dissatisfied with his inability to go online with his current-gen video game console, and is thinking about trading it in for a 360. Do you honestly think "hey, don't blame Sony: they claim they got hacked and are rebuilding the PSN Network with no target timeframe for completion" will reassure him that the situation is under control? I don't. It doesn't sound like there's much of anything to go on, there. It seems like someone whose salary is paid based on their ability to convey information should cook up something a little better than that to me. But that's just me.

Vamphuntr

BeeDog said:

1) Either died, or...

I bet on number 2.

I'm starting to be slightly aroused by this thread.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, no more fake bullshit PR announcements for the time being please? Especially since we are waiting for the real one any minute.

Leave that shit for gamefaqs.

webrunner

BeeDog said:

1) Either died, or...

I bet on number 2.

3) He now works for Sony PR and therefore is not allowed to publicly relate.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Mikey Jr. said:
Hey guys, no more fake bullshit PR announcements for the time being please? Especially since we are waiting for the real one any minute.

Leave that shit for gamefaqs.

You're no fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom