• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony publishes patent for PS5's removable plates

kyliethicc

Maybe just for legal purposes, but perhaps Sony will start to sell a black or special edition set.

"Sony’s patent for customisable faceplates for the PS5 consoles has finally been made public, as noticed by OpAttack. This has prompted speculation the console manufacturer may be considering making its own swappable faceplates and skins. The patent follows a year of issues with third-party manufacturers creating their own PS5 faceplates only to face legal action from Sony."

"The patent describes an “ornamental design for a cover for an electronic device” before displaying several diagrams showing the faceplates from different perspectives. To be fair, there’s not a lot more you can do in a patent for a faceplate, but it does potentially suggest Sony may be considering manufacturing its own swappable faceplates. An official console teardown videoreleased a month before the PS5 became available to players shows just how easy it is to remove the covers and how simple it is to apply customized faceplates—in fact, you need to remove one side if you want to add storage to the SSD expansion slot. However, it could also be merely a legal response to issues Sony has faced with third-party manufacturers."

Link to patent:

eUpXN2F.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Patent was filed on November 5, 2020. Took the patent office a year to approve it, I guess? Is that typical?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I mean.. pretty obvious the device was designed to then be a platform for selling plates.

I wouldn't be shocked if they made it ugly on purpose even lol

Topher

Gold Member
Thought it was obvious they’d try to monetise the faceplates as soon as I saw that the consumer can unclip them. Let’s be honest, £30 for some sick plates is a much better deal than having to pay full RRP for a limited edition console.

I just wish they would take advantage of the design more actively. Either make some new plates or sell licenses to third parties. Do something.....

ultrazilla

I don't see how they got a patent for this at all...

For their hardware, I can see it. Now if a third party makes removable face plates, they'll have to pay a licensing fee to Sony. It also
means those dudes that were daring Sony to sue them are pretty much done. They don't have the right to produce them as Sony holds
the patent now legally. I'd suggest if anyone wants those third party face plates, buy em' quick because Sony is probably sending out
cease and desist letters this very minute.

skit_data

Thought it was obvious they’d try to monetise the faceplates as soon as I saw that the consumer can unclip them. Let’s be honest, £30 for some sick plates is a much better deal than having to pay full RRP for a limited edition console.
I’m surprised they haven’t launched official plates yet. Instead they let dBrand and others make quite a lot of money that could’ve gone into Sonys own pockets instead. Pretty wierd.

Tripolygon

Banned
I’m surprised they haven’t launched official plates yet. Instead they let dBrand and others make quite a lot of money that could’ve gone into Sonys own pockets instead. Pretty wierd.
People will always buy OEM parts regardless of whether third party are making it as well.

FrankWza

It can't be the first to do exactly that. It's bonkers.
The PS4 HDD bay was removable and the 360 plates were too. I don’t know if any system gives you the ability to completely change the shell without tools. But it’s obvious Sony designed the system with this in mind and planned to release their own game themed and PS-centric plates all along.

nush

Gold Member
Yep there's pretty much always a delay between the filing and it being made public.

That's why you can mark products

Patent Applied for and Patent Pending. It's a warning to stay away for copycats.

Reactions: GHG

Aenima

Patent was filed on November 5, 2020. Took the patent office a year to approve it, I guess? Is that typical?
Dunno, but we know they had the patent pending since they lawyers started contacting those sites that was making and selling plates with the same design. Thats why dBrand is now selling PS5 plates but with a diferent design.

Dunno why is taking so long for Sony to just create and put on sale they own plates. Alot of money to be made, from simple colors to IP thematic plates (GoW, Spider-man, TLOU, etc)

Also nice to see its a Design patent and not Utility patent. That means third party can create they own plates as long they come out with they own designs.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

If they sell the plates, I'd expect $70+ for a pair.

And the ability to force people to buy limited edition consoles for $500 may be exactly why they never sell these plates standalone.

Wouldn't shock me if they end up bundled with a collector's edition. Like $250 for "Spider-man 2 Ultimate Deluxe Spider Hero Edition" that comes with the game, 2 red plates, and a bunch of other shit.

nikolino840

The PS4 HDD bay was removable and the 360 plates were too. I don’t know if any system gives you the ability to completely change the shell without tools. But it’s obvious Sony designed the system with this in mind and planned to release their own game themed and PS-centric plates all along.
Remind me this old italian tv spot 🤣 long story short.. "just a click"

Keeping ot..of course sony patent all,is business..doesn't mean anything

skit_data

Remind me this old italian tv spot 🤣 long story short.. "just a click"

Keeping ot..of course sony patent all,is business..doesn't mean anything

OMG I forgot about all those shells. It was big business back then. I had a Nokia 5110 with some wierd shell.

CamHostage

Dunno, but we know they had the patent pending since they lawyers started contacting those sites that was making and selling plates with the same design. Thats why dBrand is now selling PS5 plates but with a diferent design.

Dunno why is taking so long for Sony to just create and put on sale they own plates. Alot of money to be made, from simple colors to IP thematic plates (GoW, Spider-man, TLOU, etc)

I'm okay with them patenting and enforcing the actual shape (sometimes patents are to battle against patent trolls or for legal reasons and don't actually get used, sometimes don't get used against infringers even,) but it's a shame they went in with lawsuits. Just release better versions with proper licenses if you plan to compete with third parties (unlicensed, albeit), don't try to sue them away. Makes a little more sense now.

That said, there's not a lot about PS5 that screams, "Customize me!" Xbox 360 faceplates came right off and you barely had to jostle the system to swap them (it also wasn't a tremendous amount of plastic), the PS5 plates are a little work and some exposure to swap those wings. It doesn't seem like a legit business that Sony intended to get into.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just wish they would take advantage of the design more actively. Either make some new plates or sell licenses to third parties. Do something.....
I am sure they will. They are waiting until more consoles are in the hands of people, and I am sure supply chain issues for source materials are throwing things off as well.

Yeah, just like 360 faceplates.

How much do these cost, in general? How much did that cocky private company who Sony threatened to sue, put them up for?

Aenima

I'm okay with them patenting and enforcing the actual shape (sometimes patents are to battle against patent trolls or for legal reasons and don't actually get used, sometimes don't get used against infringers even,) but it's a shame they went in with lawsuits. Just release better versions with proper licenses if you plan to compete with third parties (unlicensed, albeit), don't try to sue them away. Makes a little more sense now.

That said, there's not a lot about PS5 that screams, "Customize me!" Xbox 360 faceplates came right off and you barely had to jostle the system to swap them (it also wasn't a tremendous amount of plastic), the PS5 plates are a little work and some exposure to swap those wings. It doesn't seem like a legit business that Sony intended to get into.

The PS5 plates are super easy to swap. You can swap them in less then a minute back and forth. If thers diferent colors like say black and gold, u can have like say the bottom black and the top gold, etc the posibilities are endless.

If especial edition consoles with diferent colors are a legit business, much more are swappable plates that have a much larger profit margin. I never bought a especial edition console just to have a diferent look, but i would buy black plates and probably a few more color plates as soon as Sony make them.
Also if someone gets tired and want the original look back all they have to do is swap to the original plates. Cant do that with especial edition consoles.

Last edited:

Aenima

Yeah, just like 360 faceplates.

How much do these cost, in general? How much did that cocky private company who Sony threatened to sue, put them up for?
Sony already sold PS4 faceplates last gen. They was priced at around 20$ if im not mistaken. The black ones for PS5 made by dBrand was being sold for 90$.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Are official faceplates finally happening?

9iWYGnv.gif
LG09NqX.gif

I want to believe ! but they do not like ot do LE controllers let alone somethihng as awesome as just putting out LE face plates. But if they did I would buy them ALL!! i dont even care if its something like helllo kitty.

Sony already sold PS4 faceplates last gen. They was priced at around 20$ if im not mistaken. The black ones for PS5 made by dBrand was being sold for 90$.

Ah, there you go. Once they hit 50 million+ PS5's sold and getting higher than that obviously at the end of the lifecycle, they would be happy to see 5-10 million of these, sell at 20 bucks a pop. Extra added revenue stream.

Elios83

It would be cool if they sold custom faceplates so that everyone can customize their PS5 but it's probably more lucrative to keep those for special editions and bundles. At the same time those are not happening because of the shortages so production has to remain focused on the least amount possible of SKUs, so basically the whole thing is on hold.
Let's see if Horizon or GT7 get the first special edition PS5 but I doubt it since they're both released in the current fiscal year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom