• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony pulse 3d headset

Im looking to purchase this headset when it is back in stock

any people out there with some reviews isit good for the likes of call of duty?

I have seen mixed reviews on the headset, im buying a headset for mainly call of duty as long as it works on that its fine

i dont want to spend to much money on a headset

in my opinion i think there are another better options.

Look so cheap for me at least.

Have you tried it?

D Danieljay1

If you've used the Sony Gold's you'll notice a big difference in build quality and comfort. Sound quality is also a big step up. A much wider soundstage. The 3d effect is fantastic (try ssd speedway in Astro's Playroom for a good showpiece).

Are there better headset out there? Totally. Are there better headsets out there for $100? Not in my opinion. What youre getting here for $100 is damn good. Plus it has two mics built in so you don't feel like a twat wearing them with a goofy mic boom thing hanging off like you're larping as an air traffic controller.

Last edited:
Have you tried it?

D Danieljay1

If you've used the Sony Gold's you'll notice a big difference in build quality and comfort. Sound quality is also a big step up. A much wider soundstage. The 3d effect is fantastic (try ssd speedway in Astro's Playroom for a good showpiece).

Are there better headset out there? Totally. Are there better headsets out there for $100? Not in my opinion. What youre getting here for $100 is damn good. Plus it has two mics built in so you don't feel like a twat wearing them with a goofy mic boom thing hanging off like you're larping as an air traffic controller.
I had the previous headset and i didnt like them on call of duty i thought they was pretty poor hoping these ones are better

FrankWza

Have you tried it?

D Danieljay1

this sums it up completely. You won’t find a headset that is 100% compatible with PS5 right now that has all of the features working. Chatmix, mic monitoring and is wireless. The platinum sounds better but the mic is poor in comparison. The pulse 3d mic isn’t the greatest, but it’s better than platinum. They’re absolutely worth $100 if you canfind them. As long as they fit you well and comfortably

I had the previous headset and i didnt like them on call of duty i thought they was pretty poor hoping these ones are better

Well they are most definitely a marked improvement over the Sony Gold headphones in every way, build and sound quality, usb c charging, comfort etc. Whether they will be a big enough improvement for you I'm not sure but they are most certainly better.

kretos

Banned
in my opinion i think there are another better options.

Look so cheap for me at least.
It's a great headset, it's comfortable, sound quality is good and the controls on the headset are easy to access.

c78.gif

FrankWza

If you’re speaking to the sound itself, tempest is better than the 3d audio on PS4. Soeven the golds will sound better on PS5

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Have you tried it?

D Danieljay1

I have not tried it because PS5 has not yet arrived in my country.

But honestly tell me: it's better than logitech g733 ?

It’s okay. I’ve only used it extensively with Demons Souls, but I prefer my Arctic Pro headset by a sizable margin (albeit it’s only for PC).

Kerotan

I went from Astro A40's to the pulse 3d.

In terms of comfort I'm satisfied with the pulse. The A40 prob better on the ears but the pulse better on my head.

In terms of sound quality in my ears I feel no downgrade.

Functionality pulse easily wins. The button controls on the headset far superior. Works better and allows me more options. And how it works with the controller like you mute the headset the controller mute light goes on.

Astetically the Pulse look sick. Way better then the Astro. Just like the dualsense and PS5 look sick too. So happy with the looks.

I also prefer having no mic dangling in front of my mouth.

One aspect where Astro easily wins is the quality of the mic. I sounded better to others but it's fine. Above average and tbh I don't care how good I sound to others as long as its a respectable standard which it is.

So overall I love both headsets, regret neither of them and just hope these last me 2 years. My Astros lasted 4 years with some DIY needed and I bought them heavily discounted for €230.

The pulse cost less then half at full price so like I said 2 good years and I'll be happy. Any additional years after is a bonus.

iHaunter

I wanted to like it, but honestly, the Pulse 3D headphones are not good. I'm returning them back to target. For an extra $50 I can get a headset 3x better.

TexMex

I got them yesterday, and really love them. They're modestly priced at 99 bucks, are very comfortable, even as someone who wears glasses, and I think the sound quality is excellent. Great battery life, controls are easy to access, pairs with zero effort to the system. You asked about CoD and I think the 3d audio is so good in it you almost have an advantage. Not saying it isn't in other headsets, I haven't tried many. But I think these are a really good value.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Agree here about the comfort. Nice, but not the highest build quality. The aesthetic is nice with everything ps5 matching. Sounds is pretty good for the price but of course the sky is the limit with audio equipment. Still on my first charge with several sessions under my belt.

Calverz

Yea. The mute button is good and sayisfying to use as it clicks in and out (not a mush button like the gold headset)
But honestly all this stuff about 3d sound, completely overhyped lol
I did speak to someone in the nexus in dark souls and as the spoke i rotated the camera round and noticed a little 3d but even then its not that mindblowing.
i suppose its open to opinion and interpretation but if i already owned a good set of headphones, i wouldnt reccommend changing to the pulse 3d headset.

timmyp53

I think the PS4 platinums are more comfortable. Feels tighter with glasses with the ps5 headset.

The good thing is 3D audio works with any headset so if you have a good pair of phones you are good.

Grinchy

Banned
The circular cups make it uncomfortable on my ears. The 3D audio is awesome, though. Great for COD.

Great for everything, really.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Have you tried it?

D Danieljay1

Honestly? I never ever used a headset while playing on a game console (except PSVR’s headphones) and I do have a not too awful 5.1 surround sound setup I am happy with, but the Tempest Engine hype got the best of me and I got the Pulse 3D headset.

I do not expect Tempest to optimise for 5.1 Stereos soon, not to the level of headphones at least.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yea. The mute button is good and sayisfying to use as it clicks in and out (not a mush button like the gold headset)
I did speak to someone in the nexus in dark souls and as the spoke i rotated the camera round and noticed a little 3d but even then its not that mindblowing.
i suppose its open to opinion and interpretation but if i already owned a good set of headphones, i wouldnt reccommend changing to the pulse 3d headset.
I meant comparing to gold. I don’t have golds here but everything I read is that 3d is a pretty good step up from golds.
I prefer the platinum headset from PS4. I have both and honestly platinum is much better.
they are. Except for the mic. But yeah, the platinum sound really good on PS5 and have all the same features. It’s a better sounding headset than the 3d
I wanted to like it, but honestly, the Pulse 3D headphones are not good. I'm returning them back to target. For an extra $50 I can get a headset 3x better.
which headset?

RookX22

If you communicate on mic alot I would avoid them. I have them and people had me turn the all the way up on ps5 and on PC. I am going to try out steel series arctics series 1.

FrankWza

If you communicate on mic alot I would avoid them. I have them and people had me turn the all the way up on ps5 and on PC. I am going to try out steel series arctics series 1.
Yeah, mic isn’t great but it shouldn’t be that bad. Are you sure all your settings are right? Maybe try a different USB port?

Calverz

I played siege last night with them. Another boy had them too. We could all hear each other fine in the party. Maybe ur mic is busted?

Elcid

Banned
Everyone I’ve partied with says I sound crystal clear. Check your mic setting

MrS

Banned
Amazing piece of tech at that price point. Way better than Golds. CoD is intense with these cans on - elevates the gameplay for me. Definitely pick it up if you can.

Last edited:
Amazing piece of tech at that price point. Way better than Golds. CoD is intense with these cans on - elevates the gameplay for me. Definitely pick it up if you can.
Im literally searching everywhere i was thinking of getting them with console but i hesitated due to no reviews at the time

Are they good at noise cancelling with background noises etc

the tempest 3d is swaying me towards them as i have heard great things... overall i have seen alot of good reviews just got to get my hands on a pair lol

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned

Really? I hear the 3D like crazy in demon souls. You can always tell when there’s an enemy sneaking up behind you or around the corner, or when a crossbow bolt is being nocked in the distance and from where.
i was looking at these as well but i read they dont have the game chat feature where you can choose what you want to hear more the game or voice chat is this a game changer?

You can control this in the console UI.

Pantz

Gold Member
They're comfy and sound good but for me it's not worth the effort to put them on. Sound coming from TV sounds just fine. Sorry Mark.

Top Bottom