Sony pushing ads to XMB on PS4?

Jun 4, 2006
Netherlands
Sony and the PS4 don't exist in a vacuum. Much like PSN became a paid service, you're going to start to see ads and pushed content. Why? Because it's not super intrusive but it brings them added revenue. Imagine how much companies will pay to get front and center promoted stuff to over 25 million+ people and growing. Just be thankful it's not like Xbox 360 which started to get moving video ads that started up with sound if you moved over them.
The 360 started with small ads on the dash, which got worse and worse over time and took up more prominent screen space. Which is nothing like this but it can be a slippery slope. We shouldnt just accept everything just because it gives them more money.

Jun 22, 2013
This is happened to me too, for the first time. I was checking MGS V online multiplayer update and saw Destiny beside MGS V, I said "I didn't buy it and I don't have it, why it is showing here?"

Not a good thing in my opinion.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Jul 6, 2012
They could be smoother and smarter by booting you directly into the store like Steam does all the time, then you go to your library.
You can change that setting to make Steam boot into your library, and also not show ad popups. It sucks that it's not the default option, though.

May 1, 2012
Could be worse, could be a McDonalds ad. I see no issue with a console maker advertising games on its system. I can see this being an issue if the Destiny square couldnt be deleted and stayed there forever always bugging you, but its not. This is hardly an issue compared to the crap pulled last year on the 360, and heck even worse stuff happens on the xbox one.

Aug 5, 2011
UK
Annoying but pretty sure that can be disabled (I don't mean deleted I mean you can note you don't want suggested content).

I'm guessing by default you're opted in and have to opt out which is a bit annoying but if I'm right it's a one time click to stop this happening.

I pretty much check any device now for a way to turn of recommendations if I can.

Mar 22, 2007
Its disgusting. Same in the PSN store. As soon as I open it, Sony is flaunting other products in my face (and not just games, TV shows too), trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't like.
Just wondering, other products than what? If you just entered the store, they dont know what you are looking for. That goes for every store, both online and physical stores (unless the store only sell one specific item).

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Jun 16, 2015
Sony advertises Destiny more than they advertise their own games. Hope we don't have to continue to see that game at every one of their confrences like we have for the past few years, it's getting old. Also you can turn this off, but it's still stupid.

Dec 24, 2014
Sony advertises Destiny more than they advertise their own games. Hope we don't have to continue to see that game at every one of their confrences like we have for the past few years, it's getting old. Also you can turn this off, but it's still stupid.
Lol, Destiny presence hurt so much ? Besides TLG, FF7r and Shenmue 3 I don't give a fuck if Destiny and CoD get their 5-10 minutes each.