• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q2: 13.3M+ PS5s; Sales shatter industry records for sixth straight quarter

Elios83

More. They said a while back they allocated 4.5 Million for holiday season. Since this was end of close of September I would have to believe from October to end of December they sell all those consoles putting them in 18-19 Million which is under what they projected which was 22m.
4.5m was what they shipped in October-December 2020.
They stated that they secured enough chips to be able to match PS4 shipments in FY2014, hence their forecast for the FY2021 is 14.8m.
Ps4 shipped 6.4m in October December 2014, it's unknown how much they'll end up shipping in October-December 2021 but should be close.

Last edited:
Still MSFTs choice to create scarcity by splitting alotted materials between 2 totally different APUs in their own consoles.
Maybe faulty X chips are being used for the S, like faulty 3070 chips are used for the 3060. I don't know, but i wouldn't blame the S since we also don't know in what ratio they are being produced.

ethomaz

Banned
Unless they've hoarded a load of PS5s for the holiday it'll be impossible for them to overtake it
The opposite.

PS5 will easily overtake Switch aligned sales next quarter.
It is basically impossible to that not happen... well maybe possible if a calamity happens like fabs get destroyed by a twister lol

And it is not by a small amount... it will probably overtake it by 2m or more.

Last edited:
The opposite.

PS5 will easily overtake Switch aligned sales next quarter.
It is basically impossible to that not happen.

And it is not by a small amount... it will probably overtake it by 2m or more.

Doesn't seem like it'll be easy with it getting tougher to meet demand

We'll see anyway. I can't see them being able ship more than launch numbers without any stockpile

Last edited:
The 120m dream is dying for PS4, shame because it could have been the third console ever to pass that milestone. With just 200k this quarter it will likely only ship 1.5m for the fiscal year. This is an anomaly because historically Playstation consoles have a very long tail.

ZfbnnBF.png

Sony opted for profit at the expense of market penetration, and yet got both in the end. Granted, the PS would have sold 10, 20 million more units with a $100 less, but at what cost for the company? They made the right call, imo, especially coming off the PS3 financial calamity.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The 4.5 million

They were able to somewhat keep up with demand for the PS4 by the end of 2015. I don't see that being possible this time around
I’m not sure what are your point.
Are you saying there won’t be a rap up in production for Oct-Dec? Because it will have… manufactures holds silicon for that every year.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yeah R&C numbers are from one month, it has undoubtedly sold many more copies than that by now but the series doesn't sell like the other big AAA IP Sony own, the 2016 game was the best selling game in the franchise I believe and didn't even hit 4 million, they tend to sell between 1-2 million copies so it's probably right where they expected it to be. Returnal was a niche game and likely very cheap to make, housemarque is a small studio and I doubt they expected it to do huge numbers. TLOU2 number should be updated, there is no reason to keep reporting 4 million when that was sold in the first 3 days, maybe it sold below the original in the same time frame and they don't want to make that known? I'm sure it's over 6-7 million by now though.
The original sold 7 million in one year.

If Ghost of Tsushima sold 6.5 million copies in March (which was released a month later) then The Last of Us Part II surpassed the original in like 6 months.

thinking about it, it’s pretty obvious it’s not performed to how Sony expected it to. there can’t be any other reason To not share the data.
It's clear from talking to my real life friends that interest in TloU2 was way less than interest in TLoU1. I think it sold a lot at launch from people who liked the first game and either hadn't heard about the story or figured they'd give it the benefit of the doubt, but legs were almost certainly lower than the first game. The game did not have good word of mouth.

Elios83

They're already at peak capacity

Doubling that for the holiday qurater would be insane
That's not the case, during holiday quarters shipments typically at least double compared to previous quarter.
We have already seen things ramping up from 2.1m to 3.3m during summer.
It's not manufacturing capacity the issue, it's securing and stockpiling the components in time.
If 3.3m is the best they can manufacture the forecast would have been already downgraded, actually it would have never been that high.

Last edited:
I think it is better to not put these baseless estimates on OP.

MS has only 40k wafer from TSMC in 2021 (I don't know if TSMC CY or FY) but in any case it is around 8-9m consoles produced for the year depending of the S/X ratio... even taking the amount they shipped in 2020 and realizing that the biggest production period is Oct-Dec there is no way Xbox is around 8.3m shipped at end of last quarter.
Yeah this doesn't seem right unless Sony just has a ton less consoles to sell during the holiday period. This estimate indicates ps5 will sell less than 5 million but Xbox will sell over 5 million in the same time frame. I would be very surprised if that happened.

hlm666

The ps2 hardware numbers pretty much explain why Sony and MS are starting to push into other markets (mobile/streaming/pc).

ethomaz

Banned
That's my understanding. Otherwise they wouldn't be below expectations for this quarter
The reason that holiday shipment is more than double than others quarters are due the higher demand and for that companies, in this case Sony, holds inventory parts every quarter to can ramp up production for holiday.

Silicon supply issues doesn’t after that… it affects the overall shipment thought the year… that is why the quarter shipment is limited and so the holiday shipment will be but it will have a big ramp up in shipment because Sony build inventory parts for that.

onesvenus

The reason that holiday shipment is more than double than others quarters are due the higher demand and for that companies, in this case Sony, holds inventory parts every quarter to can ramp up production for holiday.

Silicon supply issues doesn’t after that… it affects the overall shipment thought the year… that is why the quarter shipment is limited and so the holiday shipment will be but it will have a big ramp up in shipment because Sony build inventory parts for that.
So you are saying that even they claim manufacturing problems as the reason to not match expectations this quarter they are stockpiling parts? Doesn't really make sense, does it?

ethomaz

Banned
So you are saying that even they claim manufacturing problems as the reason to not match expectations this quarter they are stockpiling parts? Doesn't really make sense, does it?
They plan the year with the silicon supply issues in mind…. that account for all quarters shipments … if something big happens to change that they release a new Forecast… that is not the case here.

And yes that is how they can ramp up shipment in holidays… you secure/hold inventory parts to that in previous quarters.

Silicon supply issues are really limiting all quarters shipments but holiday is planned to have way more shipment even with silicon supply issues.

Last edited:

onesvenus

And yes that is how they can ramp up shipment in holidays… you secure/hold inventory parts to that in previous quarters.
Well, yes, that's true. But in order to do that you'd need to have enough inventory during each quarter. It doesn't make sense to miss quarterly targets to stockpile for another quarter and even less with such a strong demand

Wow, the PS4 died with a quickness. I figured it would keep selling well for years like the PS2.

The console is barely in production by now. Since it barely went down in price it makes no sense to have both the PS4 and PS5 in stores.
PS2 had its final price at 99€/$

We'll never have another console hitting those numbers. Unless Nintendo keeps milking the Switch for like 3 other years if not more.

ethomaz

Banned
Well, yes, that's true. But in order to do that you'd need to have enough inventory during each quarter. It doesn't make sense to miss quarterly targets to stockpile for another quarter and even less with such a strong demand
What where the quarterly target? They have only a yearly target and it is unchanged for now.

Last edited:
The PS5 may "only" ship around 14m in it's first full FY but historically that is a high number because Sony have always struggled to produce new consoles at the start of a generation. PS1, PS2 & PS3 didn't even ship 10m in fiscal year 1.

4hAfFfJ.png

Last edited:

reksveks

Sony made a good call going narrower but faster with their chips. Getting more chips per wafer is likely helping with the supply
Yeah, I was going to say that I thought this was more likely to be why sony are producing more ps5 than MS is producing series consoles than the series s.

ethomaz

Banned
Sony made a good call going narrower but faster with their chips. Getting more chips per wafer is likely helping with the supply.

Yeah, I was going to say that I thought this was more likely to be why sony are producing more ps5 than MS is producing series consoles than the series s.
Well Sony have double the wafers from AMD/TSMC than MS.
80k vs 40k for 2021.

Even if PS5 had a bigger chip Sony should be production more PS5 than Series combined.

Last edited:

yurinka

PS5 is limited by TSMC production that is around 16-17m for FY2021.
Add what they shipped in FY2020.

We are looking for something around 20m for end of 2021.
As I remember Sony aims to slighty outsell PS4 at the end of FY2021 (total numbers since launch, not only units produced this year). At that point PS4 had 22.4M. The previous FY PS5 did 7.8M, which If I'm not wrong Sony plans to ship slightly above 14.6M units during the current FY.

As I remember Jimbo mentioned they secured the stuff they needed to achieve it.

Last edited:
Wow, the PS4 died with a quickness. I figured it would keep selling well for years like the PS2.

It's Sony's decision to kill PS4 quickly. They shifted most of their manufacturing resources to PS5 (Covid, supply chain issues, etc). You can't find retail PS4 nowadays

PS3 stumbled out of the gate, demand was not very high, so Sony had the luxury to keep producing the popular PS2 long after PS3 was released

Last edited:
Operating profits down from last year.

Gaming Operating Profit : ¥82.7bn / $0.751B (-21.2% YoY from ¥104.9bn / $0.988B - Q2 FY20)

Hoping for them to recover soon.

Happy the mods saw through that.

On perm notice for Nintendo spam in unrelated threads. Report me!!

And that's mostly in Sony threads so they know you really don't care about Sony.

Guess your ban dodge failed.

ethomaz

Banned
It's Sony's decision to kill PS4 quickly. They shifted most of their manufacturing resources to PS5 (Covid, supply chain issues, etc). You can't find retail PS4 nowadays

PS3 stumbled out of the gate, demand was not very high, so Sony had the luxury to keep producing the popular PS2 long after PS3 was released
And what I think weighted more in Sony decision... PS4 couldn't run PS3 games so they had to continue with PS3.
Right now anybody that wants to play a old or new PS4 release can buy a PS5... so it makes no sense to have PS4 on stores.

onQ123

And what I think weighted more in Sony decision... PS4 couldn't run PS3 games so they had to continue with PS3.
Right now anybody that wants to play a old or new PS4 release can buy a PS5... so it makes no sense to have PS4 on stores.
If it was no chip shortage it would be smart to do another die shrink & move some cheap disc-less PS4s with flash memory or portable PS4s

Top Bottom