• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY15 Results - Beats Market Expectations & 6.4 Million Shipped PS4's

It already happened like a year & a half ago, PS3 also shipped more than X360s (sometimes significantly) in at least three of the last four quarters, it also possibly shipped as much as Xbones in Q1, we don't know which console shipped more last quarter because MS only gave out combined shipments.

EDIT: In Fact, PS3 consistently shipped more than X360 launch aligned since it launched.

no it didn't, 360 hit 80 million first and there's no common benchmark to compare after that, then in Q4 2013+Q1 2014 shipments were 4.3m to 4.0m in favor of Xbox 360

4Tran

These results go a long way in explaining the sale of SOE. The Playstation brand is Sony's rising star, and they are aligning their services with that star. SOE has always been peripheral to that, and with the change in Sony's positioning, there's less place for its continued existence.

Huh. Really?!? I never would have guessed that. It would be interesting to see some games targeted specifically to Middle Eastern gamers... Although I can't think about what that would even be.

There was a thread last month that pointed out that the PS4 was closing in on a million units in the Middle East. In comparison, it took the PS3 two and a half years to sell 450k there.

allan-bh

But PS3 has shipped more than X360s in 2014, we don't know the exact numbers of the last quarter, but it shipped more in the remaining three quarters, where did this narrative that X360 has been shipping more recently come from?

No public data available to say that.

Impairment charge of goodwill?

What that be??

Thank you very much for the answer, it was very insightful but if we are talking about impairment charge of goodwill specially for the Mobile Communications Division,if my accounting is right, than that means that we are seeing a undervalue of the brand SONY XPERIA ? is this right?

It was an expected Q2 2014 (July-September 2014) charge to reflect the actual fair market value of the mobile business. So goodwill was eliminated in the mobile segment.

Basically, they think a lot less of the segment after the valuation predicated on the 2012 Ericsson acquisition.

Doesn't mean the segment is worthless, though.

Issues like this are endemic to Sony's mobile division:

Poor availability in key markets, high cost structure, poor marketing, poor software optimisation.

The only theing they get right is the hardware, everything else is lacking.

I don't bother with 6758, and this is one of the reasons why.

QaaQer

Sony Japan's "A Samurai builds hardware, only poofter's make software/music/film/etc" prejudice is finally dying. I'm glad they didn't sink the ship trying to be Samurai.

WRT phones: differentiating phones based on waterproofness is not enough. Their phones use other companies' chips, software, screens, etc. Sony brings little to the table except increased overhead.

WRT TVs, when they shelved OLED and stopped making their own LCD panels, that pretty much sealed that division's fate long term. They have to rely on marketing terms like Triluminos & x-reality for differentiation. That is not enough.

I'm glad they are profitable, but it is obvious that they are planning to extricate themselves from both phones and TVs while still having to employee all those workers in Japan. Shuttering the divisions outright would cost them plenty as they would still be paying thousands of idle workers to hang out in boredom rooms, or they would have to offer huge pay-outs to induce voluntary dismissal.

IMO, Kaz's plan was to stretch out the wind down until some big labor reforms occurred as was promised by Abe. As it stands now, they are still hamstrung by JPN's labor laws, and the 3rd arrow is nowhere in sight, so I expect Kaz to continue to try and make the best of a bad situation.

Alo0oy

Banned
no it didn't, 360 hit 80 million first and there's no common benchmark to compare after that, then in Q4 2013+Q1 2014 shipments were 4.3m to 4.0m in favor of Xbox 360

No, both consoles shipped 80 million in the same quarter (Q2 2013), Xbox 360 shipped more in the subsequent holiday season (because Xbox consoles generally ship more in the holidays), but PS3 has been shipping more units in every quarter since then.

No public data available to say that.

Of course we don't, the only thing we know is that PS3 has been shipping more than 360 consistently launch aligned, including 2014, & that they both hit 80 million in the same quarter, we're just looking at the data we have now.

It was an expected Q2 2014 (July-September 2014) charge to reflect the actual fair market value of the mobile business. So goodwill was eliminated in the mobile segment.

Basically they think a lot less of the segment after the valuation predicated on the 2012 Ericsson acquisition.

Doesn't mean the segment is worthless, though.

Issues like this are endemic to Sony's mobile division:

I don't bother with 6758, and this is one of the reasons why.

AQUA you the best!!!! damn you do know a lot, when I grow older I want to be like you.

So back on track, the value chain cost that SONY has for the Mobile Division is to damn high. Basically what we are seeing here is that Sony needs to make a reestructuring in this division as soon as posible.

allan-bh

Of course we don't, the only thing we know is that PS3 has been shipping more than 360 consistently launch aligned, including 2014, & that they both hit 80 million in the same quarter, we're just looking at the data we have now.

X360 shipped more than PS3 on 2008 and 2011. 2012 and beyond we don't have data because Sony started to combine PS3 with PS2 and now Microsoft combine 360 with XBO.

Your statement that PS3 shipped more than 360 in 2014 is something that you made up. There is no data to prove.

AQUA you the best!!!! damn you do know a lot, when I grow older I want to be like you.

So back on track, the value chain cost that SONY has for the Mobile Division is to damn high. Basically what we are seeing here is that Sony needs to make a reestructuring in this division as soon as posible.

:)

6.4 million PS4s.

Smell that? Smells like bullshit.

Verendus
Please consider purchasing the Xbox All-in-One Games and Entertainment System by Microsoft
(Today, 12:54 PM)

hehe

Welfare

6.4 million PS4s.

Smell that? Smells like bullshit.

image.php

Alo0oy

Banned
X360 shipped more than PS3 on 2008 and 2011. 2012 and beyond we don't have data because Sony started to combine PS3 with PS2 and now Microsoft combine 360 with XBO.

Your statement that PS3 shipped more than 360 in 2014 is something that you made up. There is no data to prove.

We have combined X360+Xbox One shipment numbers in 2014, & unless Xbox One shipped terribly, its likely that the majority of the shipments were Xbox Ones, & in MS's Q4 they actually shipped combined 1.1 Xbones & X360s which is horrendous for both consoles.

Although you're right, we don't have any specific shipment numbers for X360 since we stopped getting those for a while, but its a safe assumption nonetheless.

Mooreberg

Based on what I have read about trouble with mid range handsets, this is a pleasant surprise. PS4 is a really spectacular turnaround from how PS3 started off. They got it right with that initial unveiling two years ago, and have been making smart moves ever since.

allan-bh

We have combined X360+Xbox One shipment numbers in 2014, & unless Xbox One shipped terribly, its likely that the majority of the shipments were Xbox Ones, & in MS's Q4 they actually shipped combined 1.1 Xbones & X360s which is horrendous for both consoles.

Although you're right, we don't have any specific shipment numbers for X360 since we stopped getting those for a while, but its a safe assumption nonetheless.

The only data we have for 2014 is Q1 (calendar year) and 360 shipped 0.8m against 0.7m for PS3.

Considering Microsoft combined shipments and PS3 shipment, is more safe to assume that 360 sold more in 2014 than the contrary.

Welfare

The 360 in Q4 2013 and Q1 2014 fell ~40% YOY from Q4 2012 and Q1 2013. Logically, the 360 should've been seeing ~40% drops for the rest of 2014.

Even if the 360 fell ~50% YOY in 2014, it still sold 3.5m.

EatMyFace

Banned
PS4 is a beast. Can't believe some people are in denial and questioning OFFICIAL sales figures and announcement. This is going to be a long generation for you guys.

Elios83

The only data we have for 2014 is Q1 (calendar year) and 360 shipped 0.8m against 0.7m for PS3.

Considering Microsoft combined shipments and PS3 shipment, is more safe to assume that 360 sold more in 2014 than the contrary.

We don't have numbers so the discussion is pointless, they're all opinions, but my impression considering how terrible sales for the X1 have been before the price cuts in November-December is that 360 won the October-December quarter, PS3 won the full year.

Kill3r7

If you're just trolling for laughs you really should stop because it's only going to make some other people make silly posts & get the thread derailed.

which is probably your plan.

I think it is in response to what was happening in the MS thread but I agree with you. There is no point in doubting the veracity of these results.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I think it is in response to what was happening in the MS thread but I agree with you. There is no point in doubting the veracity of these results.

That thread annoyed me so much. Thankfully guy who was posting all the crap in that thread has been banned.

In response to the shipped figures here! Amazing! PS4 shipped pretty much the same as X1 + X360 combined and is selling just as good as the Wii despite the higher price and overall smaller console market. Obviously there are factors such as low supply and low price which means Wii did so well for so long and there is no way the PS4 will sell as much in CY2015 as the Wii did in CY2008.

Elandyll

Banned
That thread annoyed me so much. Thankfully guy who was posting all the crap in that thread has been banned.

In response to the shipped figures here! Amazing! PS4 shipped pretty much the same as X1 + X360 combined and is selling just as good as the Wii despite the higher price and overall smaller console market. Obviously there are factors such as low supply and low price which means Wii did so well for so long and there is no way the PS4 will sell as much in CY2015 as the Wii did in CY2008.

The big unknown is the effect that a (more than probable) price drop will have on sales WW for the PS4 in 2015/2016.

My guess is that Sony will go all in with a new $299 price around fall 2015, but I guess we'll see (it might also depend on what MS will do in Q2 2015 if sales remain disappointing in its home turf, as it look like they might be if Amazon continues to be a reliable sales ranking indicator).

Yeah, probably not, but then again PS4 doesn't have to sell as fast as Wii in the beginning years to sell more, just be more consistent for longer. The Wii like took such a nose dive after 2010 in sales; in the end it reached the PS1 totals and that had a much much more smaller sales rate in the beginning.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The big unknown is the effect that a (more than probable) price drop will have on sales WW for the PS4 in 2015/2016.

My guess is that Sony will go all in with a new $299 price around fall 2015, but I guess we'll see (it might also depend on what MS will do in Q2 2015 if sales remain disappointing in its home turf, as it look like they might be if Amazon continues to be a reliable sales ranking indicator).

The same demand isn't there for PS4 as there was for Wii. The Wii was still supply constrained through 2008 despite having been on the market for 2 years and was doing crazy numbers each quarter.

I really don't see PS4 shipping 4m-5m per quarter for the next 3 quarters.

Yeah, probably not, but then again PS4 doesn't have to sell as fast as Wii in the beginning years to sell more, just be more consistent for longer. The Wii like took such a nose dive after 2010 in sales; in the end it reached the PS1 totals and that had a much much more smaller sales rate in the beginning.

Oh yeh, 100% agree.

My point was more about the first few years of Wii sales through to end of 2009.

No doubt the PS4 will continue to have healthy sales through out it's life time, unlike the Wii which is barely selling anything these days.

That's probably the biggest reason I didn't participate in it once that big argument started to flare up.

You're just spinning your wheels after a while. It can get incredibly aggravating.

ZhugeEX

Banned
That's probably the biggest reason I didn't participate in it once that big argument started to flare up.

You're just spinning your wheels after a while. It can get incredibly aggravating.

Yup. I got caught up in it too much.

Anyway.

PS4 Vs Wii comparison below.

WPS4_zpsf45e6d86.jpg

Last Gen Vs Current Gen! (Aligned launches)

CURRENT GEN

PS4 CY2013- 4.50m
PS4 CY2014- 15.40m
Total: 19.90m

XOne CY 2013- 3.90m
XOne CY 2014- ~7.60m+
Total: 11.50m-12.50m (based on estimates)

WiiU CY2012- 3.06m
WiiU CY2013- 2.80m
Total: 5.86m

Cumulative total: 37.25m - 38.25m

LAST GEN

PS3 CY2006- 1.86m
PS3 CY2007- 8.85m
Total: 10.71m

X360 CY2005- 1.50m
X360 CY2006- 8.90m
Total: 10.40m

Wii CY2006- 3.19m
Wii CY2007- 16.95m
Total: 20.14m

Cumulative total: 41.25m

PS4 Vs PS3

PS4 CY2014- 15.40m
PS3 CY2014- 3.40m

It seems likely that Xbox 360 may have outsold PS3 last year which means I'm going to be widening the prediction for Xbox One shipments to between 11.5m to 12.5m with an average of ~12m shipped worldwide.

Clearly MS have been selling in more than they need to.

I'm also revising my prediction I made for cumulative shipments this year.

PS4 - More than 36 million cumulative shipments
One - More than 21 million cumulative shipments
WiU - More than 13 million cumulative shipments

as of Dec 31st 2015.

Welfare

CURRENT GEN

WiiU CY2012- 3.05m
WiiU CY2013- 2.80m
Total: 5.85m

Cumulative total: 37.25m - 38.25m

We already know that the Wii U's shipments as of December 31 2014 is 9.20m. Wii U's total at the end of 2013 was 5.86m btw. CY 2012 was 3.06m.

So

WiiU CY2012- 3.06m
WiiU CY2013- 2.80m
WiiU CY2014- 3.34m
Total: 9.20m

ZhugeEX

Banned
We already know that the Wii U's shipments as of December 31 2014 is 9.20m. Wii U's total at the end of 2013 was 5.86m btw. CY 2012 was 3.06m.

So

WiiU CY2012- 3.06m
WiiU CY2013- 2.80m
WiiU CY2014- 3.34m
Total: 9.20m

Thanks for the correction.

I'm doing more of an aligned launches/first 2 calender year thingy. Hence why X360 doesn't have CY2007 figures as well.

It's basically to show how each generation is doing against each other when you line up launches and count the same amount of time.

Welfare

Thanks for the correction.

I'm doing more of an aligned launches/first 2 calender year thingy. Hence why X360 doesn't have CY2007 figures as well.

It's basically to show how each generation is doing against each other when you line up launches and count the same amount of time.

Oh ok. Didn't even notice they're launched aligned.

Aqua, quick question. And sorry if you've already answered it. But where would you put PS3 LTD as of 2015? 87m+?

PS3 shipped 63.9 million as of March 2012.

PS2 + PS3 shipped 16.5 million in April 2012 - March 2013, the vast majority of that was PS3 sales, since PS2 was formally discontinued in January 2013.

Let's assume all of the 16.5 million can be attributed to PS3. So that's 80.4 million as of March 2013.

Therefore, we're at:

March 2013 - 80.4 million (theoretical maximum)

June 2013 - 81.5 million (+1.1 million PS3 from previous quarter)
September 2013 - 83.5 million (+2.0 million PS3 from previous quarter)
December 2013 - 86.8 million (+3.3 million PS3 from previous quarter)
March 2014 - 87.5 million (+0.7 million PS3 from previous quarter)

June 2014 - 88.3 million (+0.8 million PS3 from previous quarter)
September 2014 - 89.1 million (+0.8 million PS3 from previous quarter)
December 2014 - 90.2 million (+1.1 million PS3 from previous quarter)

So 90 million is the theoretical maximum of PS3 shipments as of December 2014.

ZhugeEX

Banned
PS3 shipped 63.9 million as of March 2012.

PS3 + PS2 shipped 16.5 million in April 2012 - March 2013, the vast majority of that was PS3 sales, since PS2 was formally discontinued in January 2013.

Let's assume all of the 16.5 million can be attributed to PS3. So that's 80.4 million as of March 2013.

Therefore, we're at:

March 2013 - 80.4 million (theoretical maximum)

June 2013 - 81.5 million (+1.1 million PS3 from previous quarter)
September 2013 - 83.5 million (+2.0 million PS3 from previous quarter)
December 2013 - 86.8 million (+3.3 million (PS3 from previous quarter)

Awesome, thanks for another great post!

90 million as a maximum is a good number to be at for PS3. Whilst 100 million is unlikely at this point it's clear to see that PS3 sales have been strong for the lifetime despite the rocky start.

So 90 million is the theoretical maximum of PS4 shipments as of December 2014.

Wait what.....?????

edit: oh just saw you corrected it :p

Code:
 HW      Ap-Jn     Jl-Sp     Oc-Dc     Ja-Mr      FY        LTD

FY06       -         -        1.7       1.8       3.5       3.5

FY07      0.7       1.3       4.9       2.2       9.1       12.6 

FY08      1.6       2.4       4.5       1.6       10.1      22.7 

FY09      1.1       3.2       6.5       2.2       13.0      35.7

FY10      2.4       3.5       6.3       2.1       14.3      50.0

FY11      1.8       3.7       6.5       1.9       13.9      63.9

FY12                   (PS2 + PS3) = 16.5 M

FY13      1.1       2.0        3.3      0.7       7.1       71.0+

FY14      0.8       0.8        1.1       -        2.7       73.7+

Like Aqua explained the trick here is to figure out split between PS3/PS2 in FY12.

If I were to guess I'd say PS3 is 87M at this point. Hopefully when it reaches 90M Sony will issue a PR.

Road

December 2013 - 86.8 million (+3.3 million PS3 from previous quarter)

So 90 million is the theoretical maximum of PS3 shipments as of December 2014.

We can take into consideration PS3 reached 80 million only on Nov. 2013.

Adding the quarters above, you have 6.7 million. So, the PS3 is below 86.7 million as of December 2014 (by a million or two).

As for the Xbox 360, it was at 83.7 million shipped as of Mar 2014; the Xbox One, 5.1 million.

360+XBO from Apr to Dec = 10.1 million

The Xbox One has reached 10 million, so it has shipped no less than 4.9 million. So, the Xbox 360 is below 88.9 million as of December 2014 (by a million or two or three =P).

Ty4on

More proof the Vita TV is made from recycled PCH-1000s :p

I wonder if that 1.4 m figure includes a lot of unsold Vita TVs. It's very high knowing the Vita only sold 1.2 m in Japan in all of 2014.
Sony's stock is now the highest it has been since July 2011.

8E3MyOF.jpg
The performance lately has really surprised me. Then again a lot of people probably thought the PS4 was going to do much worse.

And thanks Aqua for those shipments! The Wii really helps to put some perspective.

Top Bottom