• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3: Game Operating Income $53M (PS3/PS2 15.6M in 2012)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Sony failing at selling the Vita to a 70 millions fanbase remains a mistery.

A price cut would have done it, yet it still seems unlikely to be in the plans.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
so i would rather say 0.5m ps2s at the most

They've also sold less PS3's year over year in all 3 regions too. Don't forget that little detail. The discontinuation of the PS2 might have actually generated a positive spike in sales, for the collector types.

It's on the stores. This time I assume they're talking about Killzone Mercenary, Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice, etc.

This is a sales forecast. Those games are not "attractive" in the sense of moving large quantities of hardware, which is and always has been Vita's fundamental problem.

Erethian

I'm honestly not impressed with those numbers. The fact that they made a Net Loss of 124 mil this Q while Nintendo made a net profit of 100 something mil and Panny made a net profit of 600 something mil, that's pretty bad.

The only reason they will reach the 20B net profit is due to the sale of the NY building.

Wonder what their quarter would have looked like without those one-off asset sales.

Miles X

still they sold most consoles globally last year

and as for lower or not we dont know ps2 numbers and ps2 has been discontinued from Jan 2013

What has that got to do with anything? Are you trying to start some fanboy pissing war or something, I couldn't care less they 'beat' the 360 it has no relevance here.

I just said we don't know PS2 numbers, all we have is PS3 numbers and they show it was down, in all major regions, practically every week of the year.

What's the basis for this?

The fact that Sony was down all year and thus wouldn't have their best year for shipments.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
And they sold a lower PS3's, that we can actually confirm. You have no evidence they sold/shipped less PS2's.

It is pretty clear. The last calender year, PS2 sales dropped every quarter, even during the holiday season, which is when you would expect a bump. This calender year, they started at 600K sold for the first quarter, and since there is no reason to expect a reversal of the trend, and considering they actually discontinued PS2 production, we can safely assume sales last quarter for the PS2 is negligible.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Thank you Dynopia for your unending battle against misinformation and setting people straight when it comes to sales of the PS3. /s

On topic, Sony needs to cut the price of the Vita now. Also, I expect them to go full force in throwing everything and the kitchen sink behind the PS4.

Doesn't look that great but if they can somehow hit a stride with Vita and ride momentum of a good PS4 launch it'd be a huge boost. Do or die time

Shayan

Banned
No Sony being down YOY everywhere is why they shipped less consoles last Q.

I didn't say PS2 should be at 1m this Q, I said for the previous 6 months. PS2 was actually discontinued in January, who knows what anomalies that brings with it.

Your figures suggest shipments are more or less flat YOY, despite being down every Q. Are you gonna pedal your 'shipments don't have to correlate 1:1' with that as well?

PS2 was discontinued since the sales depleted to nothing
You dont have to feel bad that PS3 did best last quarter so theres no way they shipped 1m ps2s last quarter let alone something close to that , so 0.3-0.5 is a good estimate

Erethian

This is a sales forecast. Those games are not "attractive" in the sense of moving large quantities of hardware, which is and always has been Vita's fundamental problem.

Yeah. Also before anyone goes there this isn't saying the games are bad, or good, or whatever. Just that they are unlikely to drive hardware sales in a significant way.

The fact that Sony was down all year and thus wouldn't have their best year for shipments.
No I'm asking what the basis of the PS2 number is?

A guess?

As there doesn't seem to really be any real way to determine PS2's contribution.

PS2 still occupied a sliver of marketshare in 2011 in both the US and EU. In 2012 it essentially disappeared, in one NPD I recall it selling something like 1K. So I'm curious how Sony managed to offload a million of them over 6 months.

No Sony being down YOY everywhere is why they shipped less consoles last Q.

I didn't say PS2 should be at 1m this Q, I said for the previous 6 months. PS2 was actually discontinued in January, who knows what anomalies that brings with it.

Your figures suggest shipments are more or less flat YOY, despite being down every Q. Are you gonna pedal your 'shipments don't have to correlate 1:1' with that as well?

You can be down YoY for 3 quarters and be roughly flat for a third quarter. There's nothing logically inconsistent here, especially if the prior quarter was down by more than actual retail sales reflect, thus the subsequent quarter of shipments would compensate due to lower supply throughout the channel.

Even assuming PS2 sold .9 million, which is extremely unlikely, PS3 still sold close to 6 million units.

Miles X

PS2 was discontinued since the sales depleted to nothing
You dont have to feel bad that PS3 did best last quarter so theres no way they shipped 1m ps2s last quarter let alone something close to that , so 0.3-0.5 is a good estimate

Is that the reasoning Sony came out with? Link if you have one, else I'll not assume anything and believe it's entirely as plausible they discontinued because it wasn't worth their effort shipping 2m a year going forward. Not necessarily nothing.

We don't know if PS3 outshipped 360, (can well believe it did) and no I have no issue with that, you're being pretty immature. 6.3m+ does not match up with all the other figures we have, whereas you're simply disregarding all other data and saying 'PS2 can't be that high'.

yurinka

Is Kaz happy with those PS Vita sales, too?
With Vita sales as of now nope, but yes with the other things. Specially with PS4 not fucking up their entire bussines.

They'll have time to release games and services for Vita, and to make price cuts to boost it. Vita sales need help and they'll help but always thinking in the long term as always.
The Xbox division made more money than Sony. Not Sony Computer Entertainment. Sony.
The Xbox division still needs to recover some billions, unlike Sony's division (and would love to have an updated version of the chart btw) :
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0DDHjUUE122N1JOajBJb1Vwa2s/edit

big youth

Thank you Dynopia for your unending battle against misinformation and setting people straight when it comes to sales of the PS3.

On topic, Sony needs to cut the price of the Vita now. Also, I expect them to go full force in throwing everything and the kitchen sink behind the PS4.

not happening imo. the first price drop will be down to $50 when it gets discontinued after PS4 launches.

Shayan

Banned
(*) Latest PS2 Sales Figures (Ap'11 - Mr'12) : 1.4 -> 1.2 -> 0.9 -> 0.6

ps2 sold 0.6 last quarter

thats march 2012. their sales depleted ever since so much so thats its discontinued from Jan 2013

so sales of ps2s last quarter was like what Sawyer pointed out, almost nothing

Zzoram

A guess?

As there doesn't seem to really be any real way to determine PS2's contribution.

PS2 still occupied a sliver of marketshare in 2011 in both the US and EU. In 2012 it essentially disappeared, in one NPD I recall it selling something like 1K. So I'm curious how Sony managed to offload a million of them over 6 months.

PS2 still sells in developing countries.

This has happened a lot. Some mom and pop corner stores have made more money than Sony some quarters ;)

This was the holidays though. It's fucking crazy. People complain about ads on the dash but hell, no wonder Microsoft doesn't give a shit.

Also that division includes surface and windows phone. Two "flops."

I'm honestly not impressed with those numbers. The fact that they made a Net Loss of 124 mil this Q while Nintendo made a net profit of 100 something mil and Panny made a net profit of 600 something mil, that's pretty bad.

The only reason they will reach the 20B net profit is due to the sale of the NY building.

To put it into perspective, Sony lost 20X that amount last year.

They've come a long way, and still have a long way to go. But it's looking better.

05_image.jpg

Looks like Kaz is doing his job. Every segment except gaming improved profits while gaming can can be atributed to bad software linep (sackboy karting and all stars) and PS4 R&D.

UberTag

(*) Latest PS2 Sales Figures (Ap'11 - Mr'12) : 1.4 -> 1.2 -> 0.9 -> 0.6

ps2 sold 0.6 last quarter
Technically, you're wrong.
Sony has consolidated both PS2 & PS3 hardware numbers since the Vita launch.
For the past 3 quarters, they've provided a combine sell-through incorporating both systems.
What's referenced above is the last 4 quarters of PS2 hardware sales prior to combining the numbers.
0.6 million is what the PS2 moved January through March of last year.

Pistolero

How does the Net Loss figure compare to that of last quarter?

The Xbox division made more money than Sony. Not Sony Computer Entertainment. Sony.
Today 06:36 AM

No free online for the PS4 confirmed!

Dat 9 million unit forecast cut.

I hope an investor grills them on that, because what I work out to be a a little over 56% cut shows that they severely overestimated their portable division.

JWong

Banned
Stop the damage control, it includes at least 1m PS2's, it didn't drop that much and pretty much all info on sales we have says no to the 77m.

Errr well this is the Sony thread, so it seems like you're doing the damage control around here.

You can bump your analyst thread with the new news if you want.

Wonder what their quarter would have looked like without those one-off asset sales.

That one off sale of the Manhattan office is not accounted for in this quarter. It'll be in the Q4 statement which ends in March.

To put it into perspective, Sony lost 20X that amount last year.

They've come a long way, and still have a long way to go. But it's looking better.

Panasonic lost just as much, if not more, and they posted a net profit of 60B Yen. Sharp is on the verge of bankruptcy and put up a similar operating profit and net loss.

Looks like Kaz is doing his job. Every segment except gaming improved profits while gaming can can be atributed to bad software linep (sackboy karting and all stars) and PS4 R&D.

And vita

A guess?

Seems like a semi-educated one. If PS2 sales are basically nothing, then the PS3 sold a whole lot better than known figures suggest which is unlikely.

However this is based on regions where we know PS3 sales... There are plenty of big ones which are unclear.

So yeah, pretty much still "who knows" time.

Codeblew

Sony failing at selling the Vita to a 70 millions fanbase remains a mistery.

A price cut would have done it, yet it still seems unlikely to be in the plans.

For me personally, I don't play games on handhelds. I play games at home on PC / Consoles. If I am not at home, I am doing other things than gaming. Only time I would ever use a handheld is when doing long distance travel. In that case, I usually would just use my netbook since I haven't jumped on the tablet bandwagon yet.

Top Bottom