• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3: Game Operating Income $53M (PS3/PS2 15.6M in 2012)

SONY - Consolidated Results for the Three Months Ended December 2012
Sony Corporation (Reported in Millions of U.S. dollars)

Sales ---> $22,391

Operating Income ---> $534

Net Loss ---> $124

-------------------------------------------

Game (Reported in Millions of U.S. dollars)

Sales ---> $3,086

Operating Income ---> $53

Worldwide Hardware Unit Sales (Sell-in / Unit: Million)
Code:
 Console     Ja-Mr'12    Ap-Jn'12    Jl-Sp'12    Oc-Dc'12   2012      LTD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS3/PS2 (*)   2.5         2.8         3.5         6.8       15.6      -

360         1.4         1.1         1.7         5.9       10.1     75.9

Wii         0.88        0.71        0.61        2.21      4.41     99.38

Wii U        -           -           -          3.06      3.06     3.06

(*) Latest PS2 Sales Figures (Ap'11 - Mr'12) : 1.4 -> 1.2 -> 0.9 -> 0.6

Handheld    Ja-Mr'12    Ap-Jn'12    Jl-Sp'12    Oc-Dc'12    2012     LTD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  3DS         2.10        1.86        3.20        7.65      14.81    29.84

PSV/PSP (*)   0.9         1.4         1.6         2.7       6.6       -

NDS         0.46        0.54        0.44        1.17      2.61     153.67

(*) Latest PSP Sales Figures (Ap'11 - Mr'12) : 1.8 -> 1.7 -> 2.4 -> 0.9

PS Vita is not included in Ja - Mr'12

Sources: Sony,Nintendo,Microsoft (Sell-in)

Worldwide Software Unit Sales (Sell-in / Unit: Million)
Code:
Console     Ja-Mr'12    Ap-Jn'12    Jl-Sp'12    Oc-Dc'12    2012     LTD
PS3/PS2 (*)   28.0        20.1        41.4        61.7      151.2     -

Wii         13.31       8.47        15.27       21.34     58.39    863.53

Wii U        -           -           -          11.69     11.69    11.69

(*) Latest PS2 Sales Figures (Ap'11 - Mr'12) : 1.5 -> 2.8 -> 2.5 -> 1.1

Handheld    Ja-Mr'12    Ap-Jn'12    Jl-Sp'12    Oc-Dc'12    2012     LTD
  3DS         7.96        7.39        11.64       20.53     47.52    84.99

NDS         9.62        8.48        8.82        12.94     39.86    930.55

PSV/PSP (*)   6.0         5.8         8.7         8.9       29.4       -   

(*) Latest PSP Sales Figures (Ap'11 - Mr'12) : 6.6 -> 8.2 -> 11.4 -> 6.0

PS Vita is not included in Ja - Mr'12

Sources: Sony,Nintendo (Sell-in)

PS3/PS2 Worldwide Unit Sales (Sell-in / Unit: Million)
Code:
Hardware      Ap-Jn     Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr     FY        FCT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FY 2012/13     2.8       3.5      6.8       -       13.1      16.0 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LTD (as of March 31,2012) --> PS3 63.9  / PS2 155.1

Latest PS2 Sales Figures (Ap'11 - Mr'12) : 1.4 -> 1.2 -> 0.9 -> 0.6

Software      Ap-Jn     Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr     FY      
--------------------------------------------------------------------
FY 2012/13    20.1       41.4     61.7      -       123.2        

LTD (as of March 31,2012) --> PS3 595.0 / PS2 1530.0

Latest PS2 Sales Figures (Ap'11 - Mr'12) : 1.5 -> 2.8 -> 2.5 -> 1.1
Sony: PS2 sales reach 150 million (as of January 31, 2011)

Sony: PS2 over 153.6 million; PS3 55.5 million (as of September 30, 2011)

Sony: PS3 sales reach 70 million (as of November 4, 2012)

PSV/PSP Worldwide Unit Sales (Sell-in / Unit: Million)
Code:
Hardware      Ap-Jn     Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr     FY        FCT Revision
FY 2012/13     1.4       1.6      2.7       -       5.7     16.0 -> 10.0 -> 7.0

LTD (as of March 31,2012) --> PSP 76.3 

Latest PSP Sales Figures (Ap'11 - Mr'12) : 1.8 -> 1.7 -> 2.4 -> 0.9

Software      Ap-Jn     Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr     FY       
FY 2012/13     5.8       8.7      8.9       -       23.4                 

LTD (as of March 31,2012) --> PSP 330.2

Latest PSP Sales Figures (Ap'11 - Mr'12) : 6.6 -> 8.2 -> 11.4 -> 6.0

Sony: PSP sales reach 70 million (as of April 27, 2011)

Sony: PSP over 73.0 million ; PS3 55.5 million (as of September 30, 2011)

03_image.jpg

05_image.jpg

15_image.jpg

rouken

looks pretty bad tbh. but all of them are like this. i just don't get the combining consoles thing.

Total PSP/Vita shipment forecast for the FY (7m) is now less than half of what Sony originally projected for the year (16m), LOL. At least they've finally set a shipment goal for the current quarter (1.3m) that isn't batshit insane, though I wouldn't be shocked if they fail to even meet that given how many must be sitting on store shelves after the holidays.

Also, another pertinent Vita bit from the earnings release:

In the digital imaging and the game businesses, which are positioned as core areas of the electronics businesses along with the mobile businesses, the shrinking market for compact digital cameras, due to the expansion of the smartphone market, and the slow penetration of the PlayStation®Vita portable entertainment platform are recognized as particularly important issues. Sony is working to improve profitability through reinforcement of its high value added products that are differentiated by the use of highly competitive image sensors developed by Sony. In the game business, Sony is working to expand sales and operating income through the introduction of an attractive software lineup and through offering game software on mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets.

Isn't that "attractive software lineup" for Vita exactly what Sony has promised the last couple quarters? Where is it?

yurinka

Kaz should be happy.

PS2+PS3 sold (a bit more than) the double than Wii+WiiU during 2012. And at profit.

And having positive income in gaming division having now the R&D of the PS4 sounds great.

3DS+DS sold a bit more than 2.6x PSP+Vita, not that bad considering everything (DS being the best selling gaming device ever, pricing, sold at profit/sold, games released this year in both sides, slow initial Vita sales, etc).

I would note that the above quote pretty clearly characterizes smartphone/tablet games as part of the "solution" to the failure of Vita.

Considering the freefall in PS2 shipments in FY2011, and consequent discontinuation, I imagine the PS3 and 360 are exceedingly close in worldwide shipments now.

I'm honestly not impressed with those numbers. The fact that they made a Net Loss of 124 mil this Q while Nintendo made a net profit of 100 something mil and Panny made a net profit of 600 something mil, that's pretty bad.

The only reason they will reach the 20B net profit is due to the sale of the NY building.

Shayan

Banned
Nice, I remember all those people calling you out in that thread saying it would be way more than that. They all look like idiots now lol.

that 70.2m is PS3 numbers and out of that 6.8m barely anything is PS2. Otherwise SONY wouldnt have stopped selling it

Sandfox

Why did they make so much less money on games this year? I understand their games bombed but what did they have the year before during that timeframe besides Uncharted?

Kaz is happy.

PS2+PS3 sold (a bit more than) the double than Wii+WiiU during 2012. And at profit.

And having positive income in gaming division having now the R&D of the PS4 sounds great.

That really isn't too big of an accomplishment seeing as how the Wii was dead and the Wii U wasn't on the market too long when these numbers came out .

Miles X

that 70.2m is PS3 numbers and out of that 6.8m barely anything is PS2. Otherwise SONY wouldnt have stopped selling it

Stop the damage control, it includes at least 1m PS2's, it didn't drop that much and pretty much all info on sales we have says no to the 77m.

FYI

Last year we had numbers for PS3 and PS2 separately:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461642

Oct-Dec 2011:

PS3: 6.5 Million
PS2: .9 Million

PS3 accounted for 87% of total PS3 + PS2 hardware sales for last year.

PS2 this quarter was recently discontinued, so this hardware split is likely to be 95% PS3 sales, and 5% PS2 sales.

6.8 * (95%) = ~ 6.5M sales for PS3.

Microsoft reported 5.9M console sales this past quarter.

Sony in all likelihood gained around .5 million in sales world wide for the quarter.

As of last quarter, my estimate placed Microsoft ahead by around 1.4M units.

As of this quarter, that's now looking to be less than 1M.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Combining ps2 and ps3 sales is a cheap way to inflate numbers and generate shitty articles which get a lot of traction.

Why is Sony so afraid of releasing PS3 numbers ?

Miles X

FYI

Last year we had numbers for PS3 and PS2 separately:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461642

Oct-Dec 2011:

PS3: 6.5 Million
PS2: .9 Million

PS3 accounted for 87% of total PS3 + PS2 hardware sales for last year.

PS2 this quarter was recently discontinued, so this hardware split is likely to be 95% PS3 sales, and 5% PS2 sales.

6.8 * (95%) = ~ 6.5M sales for PS3.

Microsoft reported 5.9M console sales this past quarter.

Sony in all likelihood gained around .5 million in sales world wide for the quarter.

As of last quarter, my estimate placed Microsoft ahead by around 1.4M units.

As of this quarter, that's now looking to be less than 1M.

Your complete and utter guessing (always as in Sony's favour as can be) is funny. You think they were flat YOY in Q4 despite being down in Japan, Europe and US to the sum of 1.1m. Ok.

Shayan

Banned
Stop the damage control, it includes at least 1m PS2's, it didn't drop that much and pretty much all info on sales we have says no to the 77m.

theres no damage control ..last year during oct - dec

SONY sold 6.5m ps3s and 0.9m ps2s

this is not n4g

this year they sold lower ps2s obviously

so i would rather say 0.5m ps2s at the most

Miles X

theres no damage control ..last year during oct - dec

SONY sold 6.5m ps3s and 0.9m ps2s

this is not n4g

this year they sold lower ps2s obviously

And they sold a lower PS3's, that we can actually confirm. You have no evidence they sold/shipped less PS2's.

Tratorn

So the games-devision had an operating income of 4.6 billion yen.
How does that compare with Nintendo and MS?

If PS3 was selling that well they would've unbundled it from PS2, theres no need to hide the PS2 so it's purely the PS3 numbers they are hiding.

Your complete and utter guessing (always as in Sony's favour as can be) is funny. You think they were flat YOY in Q4 despite being down in Japan, Europe and US to the sum of 1.1m. Ok.

FYI, shipments do not have to correlate 1:1 with retail sales. If the prior quarter had a depleted stock (which seems to be the case since Sony let the older PS3 model dwindle down significantly prior to releasing the new Slim), then shipments in subsequent quarters can compensate for a lull in the prior quarter, and vice versa.

You just suggested that PS2 sales had to be at least 1 million this quarter, which is absolutely false. Last year PS2 only sold .9 million, and this year the PS2 was discontinued in this quarter.

My estimate of 95% PS3 sales is probably not too far off the mark, especially when last year PS3 sales accounted for nearly 90% of combined PS2 + PS3 sales.

Striek

So the games-devision had an operating income of 4.6 billion yen.
How does that compare with Nintendo and MS?
MS had an operating income of $596M, but the comparison is off since theres way more stuff in the division MS reports (it was probably an even more favourable result).

Nintendo had an operating loss of $58M. Edit: Actually this is for the 9 months, it was probably only $30M.

bakedpony

If PS3 was selling that well they would've unbundled it from PS2, theres no need to hide the PS2 so it's purely the PS3 numbers they are hiding.

Why would they hide PS3 numbers? Isn't PS3 the best selling console worldwide last year? They bundle them because PS2 numbers are really dwindling down. Pure guesswork, but logical guesswork. I expect next year's report to no longer include the PS2 given the discontinuation of shipments.

Shayan

Banned
And they sold a lower PS3's, that we can actually confirm. You have no evidence they sold/shipped less PS2's.

still they sold most consoles globally last year

and as for lower or not we dont know ps2 numbers and ps2 has been discontinued from Jan 2013

Pistolero

They are hiding 75 million PS3 in 5 million PS2...Brilliant strategy right there. Like me hiding behind a toaster!
If I were to guess, I'd say they are doing it to make an equivalent combo to the Vita-PSP one. If you are to criticize fishy reporting tactics, you should be staring at the handhelds spot...
I don't know if the PS3 is selling that well, but it's probably selling better than the competition anyway.

big youth

Combining ps2 and ps3 sales is a cheap way to inflate numbers and generate shitty articles which get a lot of traction.

Why is Sony so afraid of releasing PS3 numbers ?

they just started this recently, perhaps to make the combining of PSP and Vita sales stand out less (which they've been doing for longer.)

Averon

They're bundling the numbers because of the Vita. They can't bundle PSP/PSV sales without bundling PS3/PS2 sales a well.

Miles X

FYI, shipments do not have to correlate 1:1 with retail sales. If the prior quarter had a depleted stock (which seems to be the case since Sony let the older PS3 model windle down significantly prior to releasing the new Slim), then shipments can compensate for a lull in the prior quarter.

You just suggested that PS2 sales had to be at least 1 million this quarter, which is absolutely false. Last year PS2 only sold .9 million, and this year the PS2 was discontinued in this quarter.

My estimate of 95% PS3 sales is probably not too far off the mark, especially when last year PS3 sales accounted for nearly 90% of combined PS2 + PS3 sales.

No Sony being down YOY everywhere is why they shipped less consoles last Q.

I didn't say PS2 should be at 1m this Q, I said for the previous 6 months. PS2 was actually discontinued in January, who knows what anomalies that brings with it.

Your figures suggest shipments are more or less flat YOY, despite being down every Q. Are you gonna pedal your 'shipments don't have to correlate 1:1' with that as well?

Top Bottom