• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: R&D Costs Rising Due To PlayStation 4 Development

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And finally Sony joins the next-gen console party.

Eurogamer said:
Sony is working on PlayStation 4
by Robert Purchese
26/05/2011 @ 17:04

Sony has confirmed that work on a "future platform" to follow the PS3 "is already under way".

Sony's executive vice president and chief financial officer Masaru Kato made the revelation on a conference call to investors today. He was asked to explain increased research and development (R&D) costs.

"For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life," he said, "but this is a platform business, so for the future platform - when we'll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that - but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there."

Kato's comments are in direct contrast those of Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai's. Hirai said, three months ago in March, that "a near-future PS4 or next-generation home console is not something that we are even debating now".

Hirai stressed that Sony wasn't "even at the half-way point" in PS3's lauded 10-year plan.

This console cycle may be destined to last longer than previous generations, but there are already rumours of top-tier publishing partners receiving prototype dev kits of Microsoft's new Xbox.

Meanwhile Nintendo has plans to formerly unveil Wii 2 - codenamed Project Cafe - at E3 next month.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-26-sony-is-working-on-playstation-4

I said this before in one of the Cafe threads, but anyone who seriously thought Sony or MS would let Nintendo by themselves on the market for 2+ years isn't thinking clearly.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Wow, I'm surprised. I thought the PS3 was their last console ever. I mean why would a successful console manufacturer be bringing out a new system?

Dunan

I say put off the next generation as long as possible -- I like my PS3, the games are still beautiful, and I don't want to shell out more money for a whole new platform just yet.

Not to mention that the PS4 will probably have "security" measures that would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago. In the SNES era or even PS1 era who could have imagined a console that keeps records of everything you've played and how long you've played it, and reports that back to Sony?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Joey Fox said:
Make it BC to PS2 and I might be there.
They can probably brute force PS2 BC next gen.

Dunan said:
I say put off the next generation as long as possible -- I like my PS3, the games are still beautiful, and I don't want to shell out more money for a whole new platform just yet.

Not to mention that the PS4 will probably have "security" measures that would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago. In the SNES era or even PS1 era who could have imagined a console that keeps records of everything you've played and how long you've played it, and reports that back to Sony?
It says they're working on it, not that it's coming out next year. Relax, PS3/360 still have a few years left in them.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Proprietary accessories (sold at huge margins)
Completely locked down (maybe allowing USB drives)
Pay2Play online

is sadly what I'm expecting

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
offshore said:
"made the revelation"

Is this really a revelation? :S
The revelation is that they're far enough in development that it's making a noticeable impact on their R&D budget.

V_Ben

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Proprietary accessories (sold at huge margins)
Completely locked down (maybe allowing USB drives)
Pay2Play online

is sadly what I'm expecting

I'm expecting free online, but with a load of features locked to Plus only, like chat and that.

Garjon

Well it's about time Sony entered the fray, though I genuinely think they were hoping this gen would last longer than it's going to, especially as they are finally beginning to make significant money on each console sold. I fully predict the PS4 will be the last console to release as a result by quite a margin.

That said, I've learned my lesson and won't be diving in head first day 1 this time. I sincerely hope they don't go for fully paid online this time around either.

Blablurn said:
i will be there, day one, no matter the price. bring it on sony!

Same, I just buy their shit. We all know PS4 is going to be a beast with a high pricetag, and that's fine by me.

Although PS3 has had a few bumps along the way, the inclusion of a bluray drive, the cell processor and built in wifi / hdmi from the get go is just an example of how they lead they way in terms of cutting edge tech every generation. Just look at NGP for proof.

M.D

Kaz Hirai gonna take Sony's divisions working together to an whole other level - PS4 IS THE TV

The price changes depending on the the TV size

Toki767

I don't know why but PS4 doesn't seem to roll off the tongue as well as PS3 or PS2. I kinda hope they change the name but I don't see what they could really name it.

JGS

Banned
Kato's comments are in direct contrast those of Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai's. Hirai said, three months ago in March, that "a near-future PS4 or next-generation home console is not something that we are even debating now".
That doesn't appear to be a direct contrast statement.

In fact it matches up with:
"For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life," he said, "but this is a platform business, so for the future platform - when we'll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that - but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lagspike_exe said:
2013 launch. I guarantee.
Yeah, I can't imagine any other year easily.

There are too many 2012 titles for 2012, and they would likely be at PSP level sales by 2014.

JGS said:
That doesn't appear to be a direct contrast statement.

In fact it matches up with:
They can't discuss it with investors, but if they're ramping up the R&D budget, they have to have a timetable in mind, otherwise their chip development would be worthless.

Funny thing is that the ps4 really will cost over $450-500. But that will be an acceptable price when it comes out, unlike 2006 with the ps3.

bring it on Sony, PS3 and PSP is great. I'm so ready for PS4, just don't pull a Wii on me (mandatory motion controller and current gen graphic).

Elios83

No surprise here, 2013 is the launch year.
Seems like Nintendo will be first in 2012 with Cafe then MS and Sony will follow suit together a year later.

Dunlop

Garjon said:
Well it's about time Sony entered the fray, though I genuinely think they were hoping this gen would last longer than it's going to, especially as they are finally beginning to make significant money on each console sold.

Are they making money on each console sold, I thought they still took a slight loss or at most broke even

Top Bottom