• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reaches Preliminary Programming Deal With Viacom for Online Pay TV Service

sense

Potentially big news

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324823804579014901418093422.html

Sony Corp. has reached a preliminary agreement with Viacom Inc. to carry the media company's cable channels on its planned Internet-based TV service, a person familiar with the matter said, a significant boost for the Japanese company as it races to secure content rights against technology firms vying to offer similar services.

Sony plans to stream traditional cable channels, as well as on-demand content, over the Internet, posing new competition for cable, satellite and phone companies which have long sold subscription TV services.

Sony must still finalize details of its preliminary deal with Viacom, the person says. Sony also has had discussions with major programmers including Walt Disney Co. Time Warner Inc. CBS Corp., people familiar with the situation say. The status of those talks isn't clear.

A person familiar with the matter said Sony is hoping to launch its online pay TV service by the end of the year. Initially, at least, the service is expected to be available via Sony's PlayStation gaming console - a new edition of which could be released soon - as well as "Bravia" high-definition TVs, but later will also work on other Sony devices including tablets and smartphones, the person said.

search title through google if you cannot access article because of not being a subscriber and click through that way

This could be interesting. Would allow me to cut cable as long as I get the sports channels that I need. I also want HBO dammit

WOW! I seriously thought MS would have went after something like this! Amazing if they pull it off. I welcome the multimedia functionality in the PS4.

*Cue Xbone fans claiming PS4 fans are hypocrites for now liking the idea of TV TV TV*

rjinaz

This could be interesting. Would allow me to cut cable as long as I get the sports channels that I need. I also want HBO dammit

Exactly what I was thinking. I have been hoping something like this would happen, cable tv over the internet through my PS4. I really hope they can offer some premiuim channels.

thuway

Sony better have their A game. They are competing against a cavalcade of service providers like Hulu, Netflix, and onDemand. I don't see how they think they will just waltz in and own the show. Better start making more exclusive programming like Breaking Bad Sony.

Sony better have their A game. They are competing against a cavalcade of service providers like Hulu, Netflix, and onDemand. I don't see how they think they will just waltz in and own the show. Better start making more exclusive programming like Breaking Bad Sony.

Breaking Bad 2: Breaking Worse
or Harder

This will be interesting to see. Give me some good stuff at $10-$20. I just might bite

Into

Intredasting.

Not being from the US, how big is Viacom? Big player in the TV business?

They are sizeable, MTV, Nickelodeon, BET Networks, Spike TV, Showtime, i believe they also own GameTrailers, not that it would matter in this context.

But yeah interesting news, its foolish to think Sony wouldnt fight the living room war and just let MS take it. They are just smart about talking about games at games conferences and events, to not piss off and disenfranchise the gaming audience, when there is no need to do that at those events.

driver116

Hannibal's getting good attention.

doubt this will impact us eu folks, as cable tv and such aren't that spread...
still, if i can use sony to get hbo or sports channel us subscription for a pittance, heck i'd be all in..
following nfl and nba is a hassle nowdays..

Ebomb

Banned
I wonder how much this deal is a wedge issue in the CBS Time Warner spat. Time Warner can't be happy about Viacom cozying up with IPTV.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Not really surprising—rumors have been circulating of a Sony IPTV service for ages, like maybe two years or so. Don't particularly understand it, but good luck to them. I suspect Microsoft will probably do the same thing here. Intel's IPTV sounds like it is the most substantive new offering though, and I expect other new entries to lag behind them.

I wonder how much this deal is a wedge issue in the CBS Time Warner spat. Time Warner can't be happy about Viacom cozying up with IPTV.
CBS spunoff from Time Warner ages ago, so it is two different companies.

driver116

'Cable box not required'

2u5xhlcjpg.gif

KoopaTheCasual

Wow... Would definitely expect this kind of major mult media move from MS, definitely not Sony. I wonder if it will really eliminate the need for a cable box entirely?

Somnid

Sony, MS, Apple, Intel, Google and a whole host of others trying to get a bite of leftover pie. Even if IPTV actually sounded appealing I wouldn't bet on Sony over the rest of those.

Ebomb

Banned
Not really surprising—rumors have been circulating of a Sony IPTV service for ages, like maybe two years or so. Don't particularly understand it, but good luck to them.

CBS spunoff from Time Warner ages ago, so it is two different companies.

CBS and Viacom are both controlled by National Amusements, Inc. They may be different companies in name, but they are controlled by the same people.

rjinaz

Until you want to watch something on cable that isn't viacom.

There could be other deals in the works with other cable channel providers. It doesn't have to stop here. But even if it does, it's still something most can't get unless they pay for cable.

Racer1977

Netflix, BBC iplayer, 4OD and some options to stream pay-per-view sports/movies, is all I need.

Don't want to be connected up to a cable/satellite box.

Gaikai is not US centric. It's just launching in the US first. Doubt the European launch will be too long after.

I'll believe it when I see it. Services that launch in only one region tend to take quite some time to spread out to other regions while they work on fixing the various problems. I'm not expecting it in the EU until 2015 at the very earliest and even then it will probably be a mere shell of what it will be like in the US at that point.

Top Bottom