• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Registers “Dark Chronicle” Trademark After Over a Decade of Limbo

Maybe it is the "Sony classic" from Bluepoint games which is mentioned last year in their website.

Bluepoint Games is located in Austin, TX and specializes in technology-driven console games and game engine development. We are focused on delivering the highest possible quality games.

The team has remastered classic PS2 games in high definition for the PS3 and Xbox 360 (Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, God of War Collection, ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection), developed original titles (Blast Factor – the first available downloadable game on the PlayStation Network), and created its own proprietary game engine (Bluepoint Engine). Our most recently-completed project is the PS Vita version of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, with both the PS Vita and PlayStation 3 versions built on our Bluepoint Engine.

We are currently bringing a Sony classic to current game systems as well as teaming our technical expertise with an industry leading developer on a next-gen, blockbuster franchise.

http://bluepointgames.com/employment-opportunities/senior-graphics-programmer/

Fou-Lu

I would be down for anything Dark Cloud as long as they don't pull a Breath of Fire VI. Sony, please don't ruin one of my favorite games series like Capcom did.

Aurongel

I would love a new Dark Cloud considering the second is one of my favorites of all time.

It's likely just an HD port though, Level 5 has expressed in the past how their audience seems disinterested with the series.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I own DC2, but have only put a few hours into it. Really liked it compared to the first.

I'd love an HD collection on PS3/4/Vita. Throw in Rogue Galaxy HD as well, and I'll be in heaven.

A new Dark Cloud would also be very welcome.

Takao

Banned
I would love a new Dark Cloud considering the second is one of my favorites of all time.

It's likely just an HD port though, Level 5 has expressed in the past how their audience seems disinterested with the series.

Their audience is filled with 10 year olds who are too young to have played these games.

I'm almost certain this is just a PS2 Classics release in Japan. The first game is already up there, and this trademark was filed in Japan.

My god if Level 5 and Sony collaborated to make a Dark Cloud 3 I would flip my shit.

FLIP MY SHIT.

God please let it happen.

I mean the first 2 games sold very well. Dark Cloud was 800,000 or so and the 2nd was more then that I believe.

Both of them published by Sony.

The 2nd won numerous playstation 2 game of the year titles and the reviews were high for it from basically everyone. I mean it was fantastic. Then the series just went away and we haven't even seen it hit PSN! Whats up with that??

Is Akihiro Hino still with Level 5? ( nm just searched and he is still the CEO and President of Level 5 ). HOPE ALIVE! DO IT SONY DOOOOO IT!

Dark_Chronicle_Coverart.png

Is it bad that i've never even heard of Dark Chronicle or Dark Cloud?

No, not really. It's well over 10 years since both games were released, and neither were a massive success at the time.

Recently. A producer at SCEI said that he'd like to bring WA to the PS4 and Vita. Sony has also recently started bringing back WA for co-marketing material. They recently announced a Wild Arms X Soul Sacrifice accessory crossover and for Toro's 15th anniversary they released some new art of WA characters with Toro.

Sony are playing the nostalgia stuff pretty hard at the moment, but I'd love it if they backed this up with renewing some of their old IPs.

Dark Cloud 2 was named Dark Chronicle in Europe.

Actually, while it's a direct sequel I think it's only called Dark Cloud 2 in North America.

Camwi

Dark Cloud 3 for PS4, with cel shaded graphics, PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN! That would be my most anticipated game ever.

Is it bad that i've never even heard of Dark Chronicle or Dark Cloud?

It's not bad, but you should try to go back and play Dark Cloud 2 (it's ok to skip the first). That game is just all around amazing.

No, not really. It's well over 10 years since both games were released, and neither were a massive success at the time.

So a game that sells 800,000 - 1,000,000 copies, gets GOTY nominations and awards, wins best RPG during the years of release and is considered by many PS fans to be one of the best games on the platform was not a huge success?

Dark Cloud was a huge success, here and a abroad. Which makes its sudden disappearance in the age of sequels / milking that much more surprising. Especially considering we have never seen it on PSN either, which keeps bothering me.

So a game that sells 800,000 - 1,000,000 copies, gets GOTY nominations and awards, wins best RPG during the years of release and is considered by many PS fans to be one of the best games on the platform was not a huge success?

Dark Cloud was a huge success, here and a abroad. Which makes its sudden disappearance in the age of sequels / milking that much more surprising. Especially considering we have never seen it on PSN either, which keeps bothering me.

I agree, and I think what's happened is that L5 would be more than happy to do it if Sony funds it again, regardless of how much they want to do it themselves.

Sony likely is worried they won't make much money off the deal so they haven't approached L5 about it. Until that happens there will be no DC3.

Even if Sony comes to L5 with an offer, L5 might be too busy. I really REALLY hope that the Sony Japan Studios revitalization that's occurring will lead to Sony considering a sequel.

My god if Level 5 and Sony collaborated to make a Dark Cloud 3 I would flip my shit.

FLIP MY SHIT.

God please let it happen.

My reaction in a nutshell. I don't care what platform they release it on, I will buy it just to play another Dark Cloud game, I will pay any price, I will do whatever it takes.

I loved the 2 Dark Chronicle games back in the day, but I'm not sure I would now, unless they improve the random generation of dungeons and add more variety, I think nowadays they might be too repetitive.

Great news anyway, would definitely check out a new Dark Chronicles.

I don't know what you're talking about.

*cough*

For The Players Since 1995
http://youtu.be/wZkMdi3XBhw

Still such a great advert.

It's not bad, but you should try to go back and play Dark Cloud 2 (it's ok to skip the first). That game is just all around amazing.

Although I loved Dark Chronicle at the time, I found the randomly-generated dungeons pretty weak and I hope they don't return if the game comes back. I found it particularly annoying in the forest area where the entire forest was completely flat, as well as it kept looping around back on itself past the area where I'd entered, making no sense.

Well, yeah; I wouldn't call it a huge success. It did moderately well, but I'd say in the PS2 generation games like Resi 4 or San Andreas or Halo were huge successes. It obviously wasn't successful enough for Sony to commission a third game at the time.

d0nd

or or or or

dark cloud + demons souls

ps4 + Vita 2014

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ooops that = dark souls on ps4 + vita

now Take My money lol

Takao

Banned

I already posted the sales figures earlier in this thread:
Bk2HyVt.jpg

That drop between entries, despite PS2's health at the time, probably concerned Sony. I wouldn't be surprised if they felt Rogue Galaxy, and White Knight Chronicles had the potential to be bigger sellers. Obviously that didn't happen.

Oh, and the first game is on PSN as a PS2 Classic in Japan. As that's where this trademark was filed, I imagine that the second will see a PSN release soon.

Apdiddy

I would really love a Jeanne D'Arc spiritual sequel (i.e. not a direct sequel, but similar in concepts and presentation), but that will never happen. Still if there was a PS3/PS4/Vita cross save HD Collection for Dark Cloud 1 & 2....SOLD.

Top Bottom