• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Registers "Wipeout Trinity" (also, Wipeout 2048 too!)

KAL2006

Banned
interesting, this gives the previous rumor more credibility.

The previous rumor was NGP's 1st party launch line up consists of
Uncharted
WipeOut 2048
Smart As
Modnation racers
and Resistance launching near launch window (January-March)

The rumor also stated Europe and US would get NGP a month before Japan and it will launch this year.

EDIT: remember this is just 1st party line up for launch, the launch could be even better when 3rd parties announce their line up.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Would be amazing if this was an NGP/PS3 cross plat title. I hope this is the direction they are taking.

Sony says they're against that type of stuff, even though it is the proper thing to do with a device as capable as the NGP. The handheld title has to be its own game.

Atruvius

But isn' NGP just getting WipEout HD? I remember Sony showing WipEout HD looking game at NGP unveil event. I hope there are two WipEouts coming. One for PS3 and release at late summer and then another for the NGP.

H_Prestige said:
Sony says they're against that type of stuff, even though it is the proper thing to do with a device as capable as the NGP. The handheld title has to be its own game.

because no matter how port friendly NGP is, PS3/NGP cross platform is still a port job. since there's no NGP emulator on PS3 they can just dump the game into, so it'll take additional resource to make it a cross platform game.

a feature that consumer expect to just buy once and playable on both platform, which may not be feasible for Sony to do, because it's basically asking them to make 2 games for the price of one. also making it a cross platform title also mean people without NGP can play the game with PS3, which undermine the existence of NGP, potentially cutting it's hardware sales.

it's a much better decision to just make 2 different game for each platform, each using the platform's strength. NGP version can use all the input interface(touch, camera, etc) without worrying compatibility with PS3 version, and PS3 version can up the graphics without worrying how to make it playable on NGP.

Very few people will buy two different versions of a game anyway. In the case of PS3 software vs. NGP software, guess which will be ignored?

If NGP and PS3 share each other's games and access the same "app" store, both hardwares will become more valuable to customers. Someone who wants portable will get NGP, others who want the home theater experience will get PS3. Sony doesn't lose either way, just like Apple doesn't by selling ipods, ipads, iphones that all run mostly the same software.

Malice215

I was really interested in getting the NGP because of the dual analogs. A Wipeout game at launch makes it a must buy for me.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
SolidSnakex said:
The fact that it appears to be set in 2048 could suggest that it's a completely new title instead of series of upgraded old tracks. 2048 would place it as the earliest game in the series (the original WO took place in 2052).

"Wipeout 2048: Now with more Wheels"

Oppo

Wel already know there will be a Wipeout launch game for NGP. Sony said as much. (barring delays of course - epilepsy on NGP, o NO).

When people say that it's dumb to buy a console for one game, generally I sort of agree. Wipeout is the ONE game that reels me in. The PS2 would have been a disappointment to me if it hadn't turned out to be history's greatest console as it's one Wipeout game sucked and was late. Wipeout XL started me buying consoles. Wipeout Pure sold me a PSP, and another Wipeout will probably sell me an NGP. For many others it's about Mario Kart but I am a Wipeout guy all the way through.

My feeling is that there is a game (probably 2097) for NGP, and a just-registered domain for some potential console sequel or triple-pack as GoFreak suggested. They won't release 2 Wipeout games simultaneously.

KAL2006

Banned
PortTwo said:
Wel already know there will be a Wipeout launch game for NGP. Sony said as much. (barring delays of course - epilepsy on NGP, o NO).

When people say that it's dumb to buy a console for one game, generally I sort of agree. Wipeout is the ONE game that reels me in. The PS2 would have been a disappointment to me if it hadn't turned out to be history's greatest console as it's one Wipeout game sucked and was late. Wipeout XL started me buying consoles. Wipeout Pure sold me a PSP, and another Wipeout will probably sell me an NGP. For many others it's about Mario Kart but I am a Wipeout guy all the way through.

My feeling is that there is a game (probably 2097) for NGP, and a just-registered domain for some potential console sequel or triple-pack as GoFreak suggested. They won't release 2 Wipeout games simultaneously.

well if the rumor is true about launch line up, Uncharted 3 and Uncharted NGP will come out around the same time, Resistance NGP will come out 3-6 months after Resistance 3.

demon arm said:
Looking forward to this. Wipeout Pure alone justified my purchase of a PSP.

Feel exactly the same way. I really wanted to play Wipeout HD but couldn't justify getting a PS3 just for that game when I already had a main console (360). With the NGP I can justify it since its a handheld and a different experience to sitting infront of the TV.

It will feel like deja-vu all over again for me if I can pick up a new Wipeout and Hot Shots Golf at launch.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
WipEout Trinity sounds like an "HD Collection" game.

V_Ben

Banned
ULTROS! said:
WipEout Trinity sounds like an "HD Collection" game.

Of what? Fusion... and the PS2 versions of the PSP games? That kinda smacks of pointlessness :p

It does totally have that ring to it though :p

ReBurn

Gold Member
Are we starting to get to the place in this generation where we're going to be slighted for software on our current hardware in order to start building the libraries for the next hardware iterations? Man, I hope not. I'd really like a new Wipeout game on my PS3.

H_Prestige said:
Very few people will buy two different versions of a game anyway. In the case of PS3 software vs. NGP software, guess which will be ignored?

If NGP and PS3 share each other's games and access the same "app" store, both hardwares will become more valuable to customers. Someone who wants portable will get NGP, others who want the home theater experience will get PS3. Sony doesn't lose either way, just like Apple doesn't by selling ipods, ipads, iphones that all run mostly the same software.

Sony lose the resource needed to port the game to the other platform for nothing. porting a ps3 game to NGP got to be more costly than porting Iphone game to Ipad. btw, isn't Iphone and Ipad games are basically 1 versione with no need to port it to the other device anyway?

it's simpler to make it a spin off titles with new story/setting/gameplay todifferentiate it from the console game but share some asset to minimize cost. let's take Yakuza series for example. I'll buy a Yakuza spin off for NGP with new story even though they reuse the same Kamurocho setting and downgraded character model.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
BenjaminBirdie said:
I'd rather have it on PS3. I said "kinda" bummed. Not "let's all set fire to a Del Taco" bummed.

Jeepers creepers!
got it, i would just like to see wipeout loving spread across all sony platforms. ngp needs launch title love too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
Kinda bummed that it's NGP. Just finally bought a PS3 for Wipeout HD. Would've been nice to have a new one on the way.

:(

Since the NGP game is undoubtedly using the HD engine, I would be surprised if it doesn't show up at one point or another on PS3.

Sony will want to keep it just on NGP for a while though, I'd imagine.

edit - oh, and yes, I am glad you can finally play HD :)

PjotrStroganov said:
Holy shit. Finally!

It's a shame that mp is hardly populated anymore.

Probably for the best. I have a hard enough time against the AI. Can't even imagine finally facing down the WipeoutZone gang in person.

gofreak said:
edit - oh, and yes, I am glad you can finally play HD :)

I am undoubtedly way way wayyyy gladder. ;D

daviyoung said:
Wipeout, Wipeout 2097 and Wip3out. I'd pay for remade versions of those games.

I would murder for remade versions of those games, especially 2097. Don't mess with the handling though. That game was perfect.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The fact that it appears to be set in 2048 could suggest that it's a completely new title instead of series of upgraded old tracks. 2048 would place it as the earliest game in the series (the original WO took place in 2052).

but before the f3600 league started there was already racing leagues going on. What i guess this is back to the old original teams and new tracks. I just wonder if this will see tDR work with them again? Despite their closing in 2009 , they've been pretty active in the last year or so.

*fingers crossed*

Top Bottom