• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Rep. - "If anyones developing a ps2 emulator we may potentially buy it for ps3"

mephesta

Which is how sony had ps1 BC inside the ps2.

I'll preface with the fact that my sony rep is a huge tool. I'm surprised to not find him on a sinking political campaign saying everything is great and that there are no issues.

The conversation arose yesterday when we were discussing some backward compatibility issues after he mentioned that the 160gb Uncharted bundled was limited and would start to fade out soon. He mentioned that since the ps2 has just 1 year left on its life cycle not to expect them to develop anything new with regards to backward comp. He then leans in and lowers his voice, as if to tell me some deep dark secret and mentions that sony may be willing to potentially buy a ps2 emulator to put in future consoles.

I pointed out that I thought there already was a ps2 emulator and he shrugged it off saying that he was just spreading the idea out there.

I don't know its kind of interesting seeing as how they already have done something similar in regards to the ps1 bc in the ps2. I think it odd he sort of forwarded it willingly, i don't know if this means that sony has told their reps to maybe quitely spread something like this and my rep just believes that he has been entrusted with a national secret. I thought this interesting and wanted to share.

-Meph

Quick edit since this is getting picked up (slow news)

- It is a sales rep, not a PR rep. My bad on not differentiating.
- No one else has said their rep. has mentioned something similar.

For some reason I have this image in my head that this conversation took place at a Gamestop sandwiched in between The Gap and some pretzel shop in a mall. Beware of lip readers across the way in The Limited. :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
badcrumble said:
I believe FF Anthology didn't work actually.

Some games had problems with the chipset, but it definitely had a PS1 in there. It was not software emulation.

lupinko

FlyinJ said:
The PS2 actually had the PS1 chipset in it, which is why it had perfect PS1 BC.

Not later fat models and none of the slim skus had hardware, it was all software from there.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Because yeah, somebody developing a ps2 emulator is going to be developing it for the Cell architecture. rofl.

SappYoda

I don't believe you.

Joke.

But if Sony wanted to buy an emulator, they would have paid PCSX2 guys to make it. And while it, exchange some PS2 docs to help them make a better emulator.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
lupinko said:
Not later fat models and none of the slim skus had hardware, it was all software from there.

Really? That's interesting... I could have sworn we used the idle PS1 chipset in some of our PS2 games to do menial tasks...

mephesta

no gamestop, bestbuy which is about the same if not worse (minus the used stuff)

Just switch the black/red in your heads with blue/yellow

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i have a 60gb ps3. you underlings missed out when you had the chance, and now you will writhe in your pain of having no ps2 compatibility in your ps3

davepoobond said:
i have a 60gb ps3. you underlings missed out when you had the chance, and now you will writhe in your pain of having no ps2 compatibility in your ps3

same here, one of the few instances which early adopting paid off
but god damn did the price tag hurt a bit

2pr8lxy.png
2pr8lxy.png
2pr8lxy.png

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
mephesta said:
He mentioned that since the ps2 has just 1 year left on its life cycle
This should have tipped you off he has no idea what he's talking about

M3d10n

lupinko said:
I think old PS2s only had the PS1 CPU (which doubled as IO controller when running PS2 games), while graphics was always done via HLE (thus why filtering was supported). Im'pretty sure the PS2 GPU was somewhat backwards compatible, by having all PS1 features and operation methods.

ruxtpin

Banned
badcrumble said:
I believe FF Anthology didn't work actually.

Driver didn't work either.

And MGS3 on my 80gb PS3 is a godawful mess that's not only unplayable, but it actually slows down during the cutscenes.

Redd

So glad I listened to my fears and got my BC model for $399 when I got the chance.

*hugs his 60gb PS3.

Brannon

davepoobond said:

I have three PS2 units, adding a fourth PS2 capable machine would make the core of the earth stop spinning, then we'd have to manipulate the world's news through the internet and you don't want that to happen :mad:

reakt

kenta said:
do you work at gamestop
:)
I heard a similar thing from an employee in HMV in the UK. The sales person was trying to convince me that the PS3 currently on sale is just as good as the launch one because he's "heard a rumour" that Sony were working on PS2 emulation. Personally I wish Sony would have spent time on PS2 emulation for the PS3 instead of Home.

Top Bottom