• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reportedly Waiting on Xbox Series X Price Before Setting the PS5 Price (Updated OP)

I'm certain we had the exact same stories circulating around the start of this gen, only to have Sony Execs later dismiss them because pricing decisions are made years in advance and can't just be changed on the fly like that.

Honestly, this just feels like another article where journalists seem to be obsessed with the idea that Microsoft dictate all gaming trends, and that Sony (Nintendo too to a lesser degree) make all their decisions purely in reaction to what the Xbox brand is doing.

Elenchus

Banned
Hmmm...

GdzHwGc.gif

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
sony is very afraid. they wont get the same pass as current gen... this time around xbox might even win. we will see.. xbox would def. deserve it with all their customer pro choices, like pro-crossplay, pro-BC, pro-EA access, no cencorship etc.
whereas sony, didnt really allow crossplay, blocked ea access in the beginning, no BC etc.
IMHO Xbox has no chance of winning. Worldwide, PS is a monstrous force.

Sony is quiet right now so naturally, some people will think they're vulnerable, but once the PS5 reveal and later TLOU pt 2 comes, then it'll be business as usual

nikolino840

Because nowadays hardware manufacturing is a LOT more complex than it used to be. And so is the distribution and marketing pipeline. Setting prices reactively may very well be a very bad idea if one wants to be profitable, especially against a company that has a LOT more money in the bank and can probably afford to take larger losses.

Regardless, there is no indication whatsoever that Sony is doing it, because that's not what they said. Simple as that.
But Is not impossible that they are waiting Microsoft to put at least 50$ less...

I don't think hardware components have an up and down like gold to sell or buy with more earnings

In a year Is impossibile that pricing Is so different then today so they can sell at 300 and not at 450 dollars or whatever

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Sony is quiet right now so naturally, some people will think they're vulnerable, but once the PS5 reveal and later TLOU pt 2 comes, then it'll be business as usual

They still have games to focus on for the PS4 this year. They don't want to have a GT6 situation I am sure, though having BC this time around is a huge boost in that department on PS4 software compared to the PS3 situation.

Us gamers are just fickle and impatient.

Eliciel

Usually hard to maintain a dominating position forever. They are trying hard to stay ahead of anybody's game

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
But Is not impossible that they are waiting Microsoft to put at least 50$ less...

I don't think hardware components have an up and down like gold to sell or buy with more earnings

In a year Is impossibile that pricing Is so different then today so they can sell at 300 and not at 450 dollars or whatever

History (and especially headlines) aren't made on "not impossible."

Hobbygaming

They still have games to focus on for the PS4 this year. They don't want to have a GT6 situation I am sure, though having BC this time around is a huge boost in that department on PS4 software compared to the PS3 situation.

Us gamers are just fickle and impatient.
Yeah, and this year is arguably their best lineup of games yet. I can understand their reasoning even though I'm dying for the reveal :( lol

Hobbygaming

I suspect MS will be prepared to take a significant loss on hardware, to reestablish itself in the market.

People forget just how much money they have.
They could've put the Kinect in the box for free in 2013 but XB1 was still $499

Tomeru

I like these kinda threads. People read the headline, post an "expert" hot take, without realising they are talking about something that didn't happen.

Yay eumaniee.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I wonder if they'll cheap out on the chassis to gain a price advantage.
That can't cost much, cooling is bigger factor. And anyway please no. PS3 Slim cracks when it gets warm and when it's cooling down, PS4 noise levels are terrible (aside from PS4 Slim) so let's make this right this time Sony.

xrnzaaas

This is a little ot, but I'm wondering how the situation in China will affect the prices of the new consoles. Some analysts are predicting big price spikes for SSD's (among other hardware).

Anyway I expect PS5 and XSEX to cost roughly the same when they finally launch. I'd say that a 100 dollar or bigger price difference is unlikely.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

I agree that Sony will win in the rest of the world, but I think Microsoft will dominate sales next gen in the US. Even in this lackluster generation they are only behind Sony by 4 million (28 to 32 million). And that is with starting at a substantially higher price with substantially weaker console. It's easy to see who will win if both are comparable in specs and price.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This is a little ot, but I'm wondering how the situation in China will affect the prices of the new consoles. Some analysts are predicting big price spikes for SSD's (among other hardware).

Anyway I expect PS5 and XSEX to cost roughly the same when they finally launch. I'd say that a 100 dollar or bigger price difference is unlikely.

Sony has said they can't predict the impact on their overall business yet during the same conference call. They didn't say anything specific for PlayStation.

darkinstinct

How about not at all? They would have fixed prices and shipments a long time ago and over the next couple of years, they aren't influenced by short term trouble. And considering they are seemingly both using NAND from Samsung and that Samsung produces a lot of that in Vietnam - who cares? Also it seems like a lot of people have no idea of Chinese New Year. Everything is shut down every year. So having the quaratine happen during CNY is not going to massively hurt production. It's basically one week of production we are talking about.

Last edited:

magnumpy

surely this is completely out of their control... I mean the console costs as much as it costs regardless of what their competition prices their box at. maybe their is some wiggle room when it comes to final clock speeds they could use to adjust the pricing... :eek:

The Alien

Banned
I waa under the impression that the tech Sony had would be $500 worthy.

Do they really have that much wiggle room to vacillate between $400 and $500? Seems like if they are gonna charge $400...go do it.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
How about not at all? They would have fixed prices and shipments a long time ago and over the next couple of years, they aren't influenced by short term trouble. And considering they are seemingly both using NAND from Samsung and that Samsung produces a lot of that in Vietnam - who cares? Also it seems like a lot of people have no idea of Chinese New Year. Everything is shut down every year. So having the quaratine happen during CNY is not going to massively hurt production. It's basically one week of production we are talking about.

That's not exactly accurate. China had to extend the Chinese New Year vacation, and several companies are reporting issues because they can't restart production when they planned to.

Now, I don't know if Sony will be affected, and from what they said today, they don't know either yet.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They know price is the only thing that really matters, and that MS tub-thumping about power represents an opportunity to get an advantage over them.

They are in the driving seat in terms of market/mind-share already so they are under no pressure to commit to making the first move.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't be surprised: Sony looves dropping the bombshell when it comes launch pricing of their consoles.

It didn't work only with PS4 in Japan, PSV and PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
bwahaha... you didnt describe sony here, but microsoft. sony is a little fish compared to MS. they are nothing. Sony net worth as of February 03, 2020 is $87.78B. Microsoft is now worth over $1 trillion - yes, TRILLION.

sony could easily go bankrupt if they fuck up PS5. easily.
Yes they have a larger net worth
And just like Disney, they still get pushed around like a little bitch by Sony
😂
e871d7c1d8f2d40143384642b2e8b7a7.gif

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Everyone is so fucking thirsty for anything PS5 that now they’re just basically making shit up.

darkinstinct

They know price is the only thing that really matters, and that MS tub-thumping about power represents an opportunity to get an advantage over them.

They are in the driving seat in terms of market/mind-share already so they are under no pressure to commit to making the first move.

If that were true, why did they originally plan for a holiday 2019 launch?

Hobbygaming

I agree that Sony will win in the rest of the world, but I think Microsoft will dominate sales next gen in the US. Even in this lackluster generation they are only behind Sony by 4 million (28 to 32 million). And that is with starting at a substantially higher price with substantially weaker console. It's easy to see who will win if both are comparable in specs and price.
They could make up some ground in the US for sure but yeah worldwide it's a wash

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If that were true, why did they originally plan for a holiday 2019 launch?

Did they? And if so how long ago was that option tabled and then discarded?

There are plans and there are contingency plans, the only consistent thing is that while its PS4 vs Xbone they are winning easily and as such under no pressure to move first.

JLB

Banned
Interesting. What if Microsoft does the same? We wont get the price until release date? lol
They will have to set a price for preorders, and many internal forecasts need the price asap. So probably both companies are already set with the price. At least on Ryan's and Spencer's header.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I believe they did this with the PS4 too didn't they? I think I read somewhere that they were willing to go as low as 350 at launch but we're thankful they didn't have to because ms was at 500

Toni

bwahaha... you didnt describe sony here, but microsoft. sony is a little fish compared to MS. they are nothing. Sony net worth as of February 03, 2020 is $87.78B. Microsoft is now worth over $1 trillion - yes, TRILLION.

sony could easily go bankrupt if they fuck up PS5. easily.

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Would be hilarious if MS at e3 reveals everything but the price.

If they want to "win" they kinda have to do that.

Like if they launch the next gen with two systems Series S and Series X let's say, one for value the other for performance, for me the Series S HAS to be cheaper than the PS5.

Romulus

sony is very afraid. they wont get the same pass as current gen... this time around xbox might even win. we will see.. xbox would def. deserve it with all their customer pro choices, like pro-crossplay, pro-BC, pro-EA access, no cencorship etc.
whereas sony, didnt really allow crossplay, blocked ea access in the beginning, no BC etc.

PS5's ability to run all ps4 games is colossal. 108+ million users will need to upgrade, and they can't play their ps4 purchases on xbox no matter how many Teraflops it has.

Sony would have to royalty fuck up to lose at this point, I'm talking ps3 level shitshow or worse. Extremely unlikely.

I'd say xbox manages 55-60 million sales by the end of next gen, a good improvement, but still rebounding from the god awful showing in 2013.

Also, as an xbox gamer, I have zero reason to buy their console. I can play everything on PC now day 1. This will be the first xbox I don't buy, been there since day one OG Xbox, midnight release at all the halo sequels except 5. Those days are just over for the majority of us and MS did it to themselves.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I seriously doubt Sony can wait until Microsoft reveals it's price before setting theirs. Price is influenced greatly by the cost and that was defined long ago.

Still, if anything they could announce high and lower it after Microsoft... But I don't think they have the need right now.

We'll see what they bring to the table tomorrow.

Somoza

In other words, one wants to undercut the other, the question is... which?

I see Sony going in cheaper and Ms being utterly terrible at changing the price, as usual.

I dont know, i think they learned their lesson with the ps4 e3 conference when they announced that they were 100 cheaper. I see Phil counting on this.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
They’re gonna match it at best. I don’t see them selling it at a loss again like they did PS4 if Xbox comes in at an already low price point.

Top Bottom