• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony reveals official controller for smartphones called "Backbone One PlayStation edition"

https://gbatemp.net/threads/sony-an...ontroller-for-ps4-and-ps5-remote-play.616176/

In 2020, the Backbone One was released--a mobile controller that attaches to your phone, and can be folded up nice and neat to be taken on the go. There were versions of the portable controller for both iOS and Android, and they would eventually see support from Xbox, where they promoted the controller for use with Xbox Game Pass's xCloud streaming service for phones. Now, PlayStation is getting in on things, by revealing their own unique DualSense-themed variant of the Backbone One. The "PlayStation Edition" form of the controller comes with some extra bonus features, including the ability to connect directly to the PlayStation Pulse 3D headset, and seamless support with the PS Remote Play app--notable, as the app does not support other similar mobile gamepads--only PlayStation branded ones such as the DualShock 4. Right now, only an iPhone-specific model is available, for $99.99.

Backbone One is the gaming essential for PlayStation on iPhone. If you have access to broadband internet and a PS5 or PS4 console, plug an iPhone into the Backbone One and instantly start playing your PS5 and PS4 games with the power of the PS Remote Play app—whether that’s out and about or even elsewhere in the home*. See the PlayStation Remote Play website for more information: https://www.playstation.com/remote-play/

Backbone One also works wonderfully with App Store games and other game streaming services that support controllers, including Genshin Impact, Fantasian, Call of Duty: Mobile, and more. Players can download the Backbone App for a customized PlayStation experience. Inside the app, you’ll see various PlayStation integrations, such as custom glyphs representing the iconic PlayStation shapes and the ability to browse hundreds of game titles.

I always preferred the sideways controllers for phones compared to the "clip on" ones where you have a normal sized controller and the phone "clips" above it. I want the mobile to still be mobile. This may be an option.

$99.99 is a bit steep though. Iphone specific for now.

It also looks like Sony is using the Asymmetrical stick layout for this controller curiously. Never thought they would do that for an official controller. Licensed or otherwise.

Last edited:
It also looks like Sony is using the Asymmetrical stick layout for this controller curiously. Never thought they would do that for an official controller.

"Sony" isn't using anything because Sony doesn't make this. It's just officially licensed by Sony.

The Backbone One has been out since 2020 and is available for use on xCloud even.

This is just the PS edition of the same product.

I mean... you could have just read the information in your own OP.

"Sony" isn't using anything because Sony doesn't make this. It's just officially licensed by Sony.

The Backbone One has been out since 2020 and is available for use on xCloud even.

This is just the PS edition of the same product.

I mean... you could have just read the information in your own OP.

As I said, i never thought that Sony would allow this stick configuration on an official controller. Licensed or otherwise. This isn't the first time they gave out their license to a third party.

As I said, i never thought that Sony would allow this stick configuration on an official controller. Licensed or otherwise. This isn't the first time they gave out their license to a third party.

Sony has officially licensed console controllers in the past with asymmetric sticks.

You just haven't been paying attention.

Top Bottom