• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica (God of War) is making a new IP 1st/3rd person shooter w/ vehicles

People don't love Sony's shooters though.

Let's face it, SSM is on another level than Insomniac and GG. Killzone are Resistance sell pretty average because they're not really that great. I'm pretty sure that if SSM went out to make a good FPS, it would be pretty awesome. Plus, there's no reason to believe that this is going to be a Military FPS or anything else that has been done a hundred times.

Even with that quality MAG an online only new ip sold a million.

And why do santa monica do everything in so secrecy? we dont know what they are doing what tech they are using or what improvements they are making etc

We are 6 or 7 weeks from E3.

Neiteio

We can only hope this game will have a relatable brown-haired, 30-something white male protagonist and realistic urban setting! Barring that, a tough black guy in a hoodie who talks all "NAH MANG" will help me feel cool and masculine. But there better be explosions. Oh yes. And it would be refreshing to have military-like characters with guns, or assassins. And maybe a war-torn Middle East setting.

I think that a shooter from SMS would be pretty cool. I like shooters but I dislike the ones that are available right now. I think that SMS could make a pretty good Halo ripoff.

How about a shooter where youre a hipster where you travel to central Africa to combat Konys forces by throwing boiling hot fair trade coffee on them

A shooter? Nahhh, this game, whatever it is, will be pure unmitigated horseshit of the highest order. It'll bomb and Sony will lose millions and we'll all rue the day when this big pile of festering wank shizzle was ever announced.

then again i might reserve judgement and wait to see what it looks like

NeoUltima

So I guess this is sort of like the UC3/LoU ND situation?

Half studio working on GoWA, a guaranteed hit to pay the bills. And the other half is working on this new IP.

cornerman

I understand folk's disdain for shooters. Alot of the big budget games that dominate the headlines have some degree of a shooting mechanic in the design. However, as many have stated here, its a little premature to write the game off as we haven't seen hide nor hair of it yet.

While I am definitely an advocate of game diversity, and feel its beneficial for companies to embrace that approach, I also want dev teams to work on projects that they are passionate and enthusiastic about. I get the idea behind Sony's missing genres...genres we feel could potentially strengthen their lineup (if done correctly). But just casting a genre (RPG) on teams who don't want it, not suited for it, just because we've seen that they are talented in other genres doesn't make much sense either. It might aid in not only making for a poor game, but causing the studio to lose talent as people ship out for some projects they find more engaging.

Having said that, I do like speculation. I think its almost 0% chance this game doesn't have multiplayer. Unless it is some big huge game. And when i think multiplayer, the only thing I've figured most devs know how to multiplayer-ize is shooters. Sony looks at their portfolio and removes projects that end up being too similar...so that should still be in effect. With the fall of Zipper (Socom and any future military shooter), the migration of Insomniac (Resistance), I could see them feeling as though they could handle another shooter if SSM really wanted to make one. These devs are privy to other games in the lineup as well. So a Starhawk clone doesn't make sense. I don't think those guys are interested in modern military-based combat. They've been involved in fantasy games for forever. Their art teams are likely going to want the challenge of world creation. I don't think these guys are going to for a scale as large as Skyrim. And we know they like challenge and spectacle. They've likely been hearing critiques on linearity in GoW, so I'm betting they address that thru open-world or multiplayer. I say these guys are gearing up for something closer to Bioshock/Dishonored or Borderlands. With various Sony teams working on PS4 (I think UC3 guys are on PS3 development now, GG 2nd team, Media Molecule I bet), I'm putting money on this game being on PS4. T

Afrikan

What if this SSM, or a team inside of it, thats working on finishing Sony Euro's once canceled.....8 Days.

u know, just trying to make some $$$ on the initial investment.....

Well, it's part vehicle combat so that's never a bad thing. We could use more of those games.
I look forward to what Santa Monica does with the 1st/3rd person shooter part, they are a really good studio and make quite polished games. Make it Sci-Fi and I'm more interested. Maybe this is the new Sony exclusive?

I love me some God of War but something new from SSM. Count me in. Look forward to its reveal.

And subsequently I look forward to the announcement of the reveal.

mujun

A Mad Max type game that isn't multiplayer focused would be awesome. Open world, RPG or action adventure. I'll take anything.

injurai

Banned
Well, it's part vehicle combat so that's never a bad thing. We could use more of those games.
I look forward to what Santa Monica does with the 1st/3rd person shooter part, they are a really good studio and make quite polished games. Make it Sci-Fi and I'm more interested. Maybe this is the new Sony exclusive?

Yeah I'm getting sick of Killzone as Sony's prime FPS. Only 2 was really a good game IMO, the others were shitty compared to other FPS games. I guess Resistance is popular but I gave up after trying the first game. With Whatever this project is and Dust 514, PS3 FPS games are looking up a bit.

tzare

i hope it is a 3rd person shooter, i dislike FPS. But i understand sony is trying to create its own AAA selling IP, and nowadays, COD or Halo, are amongst the most powerful ones, so chances are high that this will be a FPS

The revival of Socom

SOCOM3 2
socom-3-us-navy-seals-20050726103107086.jpg

I would be in... again.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Maybe it's a third person action adventure game and the shooting refers to a flintlock.
And the vehicles are boats that you captain with your crew.

BELIEVE.

J-Rzez

Only really interested in this since it's made by SSM, that developer warrants my attention at least considering they're one of the few true AAA devs in my eyes.

KongRudi

Banned
I'm not that into GoW, but I think they probably are one of the few studios, wich never have any issues with the games camera perspective, whatsoever, when the game release from what I've seen. So I think it would be a waste to have them make a game in first-person mode.

BHZ Mayor

I think we should wait to see what's going to be different enough to where this couldn't have just been Killzone 4/Resistance 4/MAG 2, and how this will stand out in an already flooded shooter market.

Patapwn

I recall in a God of War 3 discussion Stig was asked what would be his dream game to develop. Does anyone know where that clip is? I don't remember his exact answer but it was along the lines of a 3rd person GTA like game + some interesting bells and whistles.

Anyway, he might have successfully lobbied his idea :p

demolitio

The revival of Socom

Don't tease me like that. I'd have faith in SSM but they'd have to be willing to commit to the hardcore SOCOM gameplay instead of going more casual like SOCOM 4. One thing's for sure, it'd make SOCOM be a graphical beast which would be insane if it had the series' gameplay.

No one is willing to give us a hardcore tactical shooter anymore without huge concessions being made to cater to the casual shooter crowd.

When you think of it, SOCOM 3 was one of the staples in making gun customization standard and it was way before the trend but got not love for it. So what did they do in SOCOM 4? They neutered the customization and took away one of the more unique features when most games still only allow for 1 attachment (some 2) with limited choices.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Let's face it, SSM is on another level than Insomniac and GG. Killzone are Resistance sell pretty average because they're not really that great. I'm pretty sure that if SSM went out to make a good FPS, it would be pretty awesome. Plus, there's no reason to believe that this is going to be a Military FPS or anything else that has been done a hundred times.

I wonder...do people here actually play the games that they claim aren't so great or rely purely on he say she say and wikipedia to form their bias against certain games. Killzone and Resistance are great games and you're doing many games and not just them a disservice by claiming there is a correlation between sales and a games quality; we have been shown time and time again that alot of great games go unnoticed. You could also consider their lackluster performance (if you'd call selling 2.7 mil for KZ3/and being the 1st million seller on PS3 bad) a result of Sony's poor marketing but to counter your point these games that you feel are mediocre are actually well reviewed and sell decently enough. Arm yourself with facts before making a claim.

Moving beyond that though, just because SSM has had success in certain genres and have had an untarnished pedigree doesn't mean they should tackle shooters. I think they'd make something great especially with their attention to detail, large enemies and set pieces, a sci-fi epic in the vein of Gundam would be great imo but having so many in-house studios making fps will lead to oversaturation and an eventual butchering of sales for all involved.

rdrr gnr

Killzone is a terrible franchise by any meaningful standard of evaluation. Though I do not believe SSM's repertoire necessarily means they will produce a sound shooter, I'll gladly believe SSM's worst work would rival GG's "best."

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Wouldn't mind a crazy sci-fi spacey hardcore fps that looked like God of War.

Seriously ... like power suits and huge guns and gib. They would knock the genre out of the park. Like a dark, gory insanely high IQ halo type of romp. yum.

Afrikan

Killzone is a terrible franchise by any meaningful standard of evaluation. Though I do not believe SSM's repertoire necessarily means they will produce a sound shooter, I'll gladly believe SSM's worst work would rival GG's "best."

And what would you consider a "good" FPS Franchise, this gen?

Yeah it's close to impossible to muster any hype for another shooter no matter who is behind it.
But there's so many good ideas that never made it out (seamless ground-to-space transitions in Battlefront 3) and tons of new ideas no one has really explored before. I don't believe the shooter genre is getting stale, just the way everyone is making them.

I could go for a shooter made by these guys.

My hope would be that both Resistance and Killzone get retired for next gen. I think it was fairly obvious that the intended goal of having something that could go toe to toe with Halo didn't work out in the end, not least because of the unexpected disruption that CoD4 ended up being. Viewing both Sony series in that light you can see how they tried combat it throughout each release. In the end they felt disjointed, to me anyhow.

A shooter made by SSM could well be the one that succeeds. My hope would be for a physics playground of wide areas in the mould of Crysis or Halo.

Top Bottom