• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica (God of War) is making a new IP 1st/3rd person shooter w/ vehicles

Why can't they make a WRPG?!?

Imagine a RPG based on space sci-fi. ME was the only WRPG in that regard and the end of the endgame left a bad taste in my mouth (but the rest was very good).

ME has shooting and vehicle combat (just like this job description). That's why you shouldn't read so much into a generic job listing. It really doesn't tell you anything outside of basic game mechanics.

Some people are truly amazing lol

I mean, it's like because the game has guns, it's going to be like playing any other games with guns.
Come on, at least wait for the game to be revealed before dismissing it so easily.

i-Lo

This is SSM guys, stop talking about wanting RPGs from them..

Because if they did do RPG then:

1. You'd start off by facing a boss

2. Decapitation will be like bread and butter of combat

3. Protagonists' armours are going to be dirtied, most likely with blood

4. It'll revolve around vengeance

5. Plenty of quick time events

6. Sex mini games

7. It'll have large, large & mobile levels

8. It'll be great to look at

ME has shooting and vehicle combat (just like this job description). That's why you shouldn't read so much into a generic job listing. It really doesn't tell you anything outside of basic game mechanics.

Yes yes! *jizzed*

Darknight

You guy want an RPG? Lol. Yea if you want SMS to go down.

1st party+RPG is the perfect combo for a major bomb in the west if released on a Sony platform.

KingK

1st party+RPG is the perfect combo for a major bomb in the west if released on a Sony platform.

Why? Skyrim sold millions of copies. Fable sold millions of copies. Even Kingdoms of Amalur, a new IP by an unknown developer, sold pretty well iirc. There's definitely a strong market for RPGs and it's one of the few genres that Sony doesn't have any stake in at this point.

Eusis

Market conditions. People love shooters (recent example: Racoon Shitty)
No. In the short term it MIGHT be good, but if the allure should wear off? For that matter it's a crowded market, and I imagine only a few people actually WANT to get and play through every relevant shooter on the market, the vast majority are content with just Modern Warfare, and the second biggest majority probably just wants to branch out to big stuff like Gears of War and Halo. SCEA has plenty of shooters as is and it's a bad idea in general to place all your eggs (or even most of them) in one basket.

Though yeah, there's always the potential this is something that isn't just a straight up shooter, or maybe even has that as a secondary concern and they just want the shooting sections to be perfect, similar to how 3D Zelda can't screw up bow shooting.

i-Lo

Too much presumption right there.

Besides, FYI, SSM actually helps out other 1st party devs with their products. Current rumour is that even TLG may be handed to them for completion alongside original devs.

Nizz

I'm a little confused about the first person/third person part. I wonder if the game will be first person and then switch out to third for cover? Or do you go third person in vehicles?

I'd love to see what SSM could do with the first person genre. Maybe some more first person eye gouging. ;)

Eusis

White Knight Chronicles do well in the US?
Given that the sequel was handed off to another publisher, no. But that was generally regarded as a mediocre game, so I doubt any exec would take that too seriously as an example that RPGs are doomed from SCE... though maybe JRPGs.

We already have 2 FPS franchises from Sony.....let SSM make an RPG or something, it would be interesting to see what they come up with.

Eusis

We already have 2 FPS franchises from Sony.....let SSM make an RPG or something, it would be interesting to see what they come up with.
If you throw a wider net (just shooter) they already have... what, 5+ franchises? This is why it'd come off as overkill to throw yet another in, I only think it'd be a seriously good idea if they can make it fresh or it's simply what the studio REALLY wanted to do.

I knew they were working on something other than god of war. Those who watched the tester season 3 will remember 3 cast members who got to visit the studio and play a game santa monica was developing and it seemed like they were all playing at the same time on 3 seperate tv's. Which tells me its multiplayer focused like some kind of online co-op or something. Interesting.

How recent is this job listing? I can't seem to find a date, but it sounds a lot like the one we were hearing about a year or so ago which almost undoubtedly turned out to be Starhawk.

I knew they were working on something other than god of war. Those who watched the tester season 3 will remember 3 cast members who got to visit the studio and play a game santa monica was developing and it seemed like they were all playing at the same time on 3 seperate tv's. Which tells me its multiplayer focused like some kind of online co-op or something. Interesting.

They were playing GoW:Ascension

Boss Man

Why another God of War game? Ugh, I wish they had just ended the series.

Oh wait, a new IP? Something like God of War I hope! Oh, a shooter. Ugh, why a shooter?

SykoTech

Not gonna jump to conclusions. Hell, the game could play like Mass Effect, Resident Evil, or freaking Valkyria Chronicles for all we know from that job description.

Really hope it isn't another FPS though. It's great to hear that SSM is working on a new IP of their own, but I hope it's something unique.

Top Bottom