• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica unannounced title is based in a Fantasy world

Defrop

Banned
Sony’s Santa Monica Studio Hiring For Unannounced Fantasy Game!

We are seeking an experienced Senior Character Concept Artist for the development of a new unannounced title!
  • Develop and maintain strong creative and collaborative partnerships across subject areas to help further develop the in-game characters, visual language, and rule sets for fantasy-based worlds
  • Strong design skills with the ability to render realistic believable fantasy-based characters, creatures, and props using contemporary industry standard tools and techniques.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Is this for after Ragnarok or do they have multiple teams like Naughty Dog?

Well, God of War is also set in a fantasy world, unless you believe in Greek and Norse mythology

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Didn't Cory Barlog have put some space beep boop thing on his Twitter feed and username. If the story for Ragnarok is done, it would be smart for Cory to take a backseat and involve another director and support the next director to be able to tell the GOW post Ragnarok sequel. Then you spin off GOW 3 with a new director with GOW directorial experience while Cory gets to create his universe. He deserves to create new IP, he has served his apprenticeship on GOW

yurinka

Sounds the job offer is for a God of War game.

Didn't Cory Barlog have put some space beep boop thing on his Twitter feed and username. If the story for Ragnarok is done, it would be smart for Cory to take a backseat and involve another director and support the next director to be able to tell the GOW post Ragnarok sequel. Then you spin off GOW 3 with a new director with GOW directorial experience while Cory gets to create his universe. He deserves to create new IP, he has served his apprenticeship on GOW
Maybe Cory just wrote the main Ragnarok story and overviews another director, and he moved to direct a new IP. If not and he has been directing Ragnarok, let's hope they give him a new IP after it.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
fantasy-based characters, creatures, and props as in norse mythology perhaps?

Well, God of War is also set in a fantasy world, unless you believe in Greek and Norse mythology

Sounds the job offer is for a God of War game.

Maybe Cory just wrote the main Ragnarok story and overviews another director, and he moved to direct a new IP. If not and he has been directing Ragnarok, let's hope they give him a new IP after it.

God of War Ragnarok is already announced so the role isn't for that title. Right? Unless you are all thinking they are starting production on the next next God of War?

God of War Hoddmimis

jaysius

Banned
I'm not sure what you mean though. I mean you gave it a trigger like there was something wrong with that. I'm just wondering if I should be worried since I do play games from that studio.
If the user has anything they really want to say, they'll continue on to reply to your post by quoting the said post and posting their position.

Otherwise just accept that reactions are a part of this site, and people will use them as they see fit.

Jesus, you called me out on a fucking post that I reacted to that wasn't yours... I know reactions are hard for some people to understand but it's ok. Callouts are always and always will be pathetic.

Last edited:
If the user has anything they really want to say, they'll continue on to reply to your post by quoting the said post and posting their position.

Otherwise just accept that reactions are a part of this site, and people will use them as they see fit.

Jesus, you called me out on a fucking post that I reacted to that wasn't yours... I know reactions are hard for some people to understand but it's ok. Callouts are always and always will be pathetic.

Ok so what does it mean then?

Edit: For clarification I don't know if you have issues with her writing a game for them or if it's for some other reason. It's better that I ask before I just assume what it means.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Considering the Gameplay was awesome in God of War, it means this is gonna be awesome.
The narrative of cinematic means no gameplay is bullshit.
God of War, was great and scored great. The competition would dream of having a title like this themselves

Mate, God of War is beyond a dream to the competition. They can't even dream of reaching the level of Infamous Second Son.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Considering the Gameplay was awesome in God of War, it means this is gonna be awesome.
The narrative of cinematic means no gameplay is bullshit.
God of War, was great and scored great. The competition would dream of having a title like this themselves
One can only hope.

yurinka

God of War Ragnarok is already announced so the role isn't for that title. Right? Unless you are all thinking they are starting production on the next next God of War?

God of War Hoddmimis
I assume that obviously Ragnarok won't be the last GoW game. It will be released soon, so probably they started with a small team the pre-production of the next one while a big chunk of people is finishing Ragnarok and maybe a separate team is working on a new IP. At least it's what I'd do.

Or who knows, maybe this 'fantasy game' isn't a God of War game and it's a new IP instead.

Last edited:
Fantasy pretty much rules genre fiction. It is here to stay!

It’s funny after all the pop culture and modern life throws at us we still haven’t really found anything more iconic than classic fantasy.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Is this for after Ragnarok or do they have multiple teams like Naughty Dog?

giphy.gif

To my understanding, they are a big team that helps out with other Sony titles that also make God Of War, so if they started a different project on top of God Of War, it would not be strange. The fact that they were working on some Sci fi game while working on God Of War 2018 shows they have an intent to make a new IP while the other half is working on God Of War, helping other teams etc.

NewYork214

J jaysius I'm not familiar with Alanah Pearce's writing. Is there something wrong with it?

I don't know the first thing about her. Lol. Dont know why you are asking me this. I saw an interview with her the other day and she mentioned that she was working on a Santa Monica game so it clicked in my head. I literally didn't state a single opinion.

She seemed cool. I don't really focus on the drama people throw around. So no clue. She did mention she likes writing characters that are nothing like herself so if people have problems with her personally, that should ease their minds. I guess. I honestly don't care. I just play video games. And will play anything from Santa Monica studios.

I don't know the first thing about her. Lol. Dont know why you are asking me this. I saw an interview with her the other day and she mentioned that she was working on a Santa Monica game so it clicked in my head. I literally didn't state a single opinion.

She seemed cool. I don't really focus on the drama people throw around. So no clue. She did mention she likes writing characters that are nothing like herself so if people have problems with her personally, that should ease their minds. I guess. I honestly don't care. I just play video games. And will play anything from Santa Monica studios.

Same I really like games from Santa Monica Studios and I'm confident that they made the right decision.

Perrott

Gold Member
They could not nail down what the game was. It also had too much going on in the art that conflicted. There were reasons this game was canned.
Yeah, just looking at the concept art it is pretty clear that the game was too ambitious and large in scope of it's own good: third-person melee and ranged combat, vehicles, special powers, gigantic enemies/creatures that I cannot imagine how could have been rendered on an early PS4 game that was supposed to run at a steady 30fps at 1080p, large (if not open world) environments, etc.

Any insight into why it fell apart and what kind of game it was? There were some reports that described it a title very similar to Destiny, while others talked about something more akin to the Dead Space series.

Papacheeks

Banned
Yeah, just looking at the concept art it is pretty clear that the game was too ambitious and large in scope of it's own good: third-person melee and ranged combat, vehicles, special powers, gigantic enemies/creatures that I cannot imagine how could have been rendered on an early PS4 game that was supposed to run at a steady 30fps at 1080p, large (if not open world) environments, etc.

Any insight into why it fell apart and what kind of game it was? There were some reports that described it a title very similar to Destiny, while others talked about something more akin to the Dead Space series.

All I know is they could not meet certain mile stones. And since the game was not playable, they needed the team to work with Corey on God of war.

Arkam

Come on DeathStalker! When I hear Sony and fantasy, thats where my mind goes.
But I wouldnt mind seeing a Zelda-esque game. Something targeting a wider (aka younger) audience.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Come on DeathStalker! When I hear Sony and fantasy, thats where my mind goes.
But I wouldnt mind seeing a Zelda-esque game. Something targeting a wider (aka younger) audience.
I could be mistaken but Sony's last stab at a Zelda clone didn't work out so great, Dark Cloud should have been SOOOO much better than it was. But it's been a long time since then, and things have def. changed so who knows?

Top Bottom