• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica's canceled new IP has major concept art leak, 35+ images

SDCowboy

Wow fuck Sony for cancelling this, it looks amazing.
I always wonder if people who make these kinds of posts on cancelled games actually think the situation through. We know next to nothing about the game. Being mad at Sony for cancelling it makes zero sense when we don't know exactly what happened.

This looks weird. But not the good kind of weird.

A kind of "yeah, not surprised this was cancelled" kind of weird. Looks like a mish mash of just a bunch of shit.

My thoughts exactly, doesnt seem to have any type of theme. Some of the enemy/Boss looking concepts seem pretty cool, but the actual characters look really meh.

Based on the pics, I wouldnt be too interested in it, but still curious what type of game it was and how the gameplay worked.

RexNovis

Banned
That artwork is fantastic. Lots of compelling imagery here but there doesn't seem to be much of a cohesive thematic vision linking them all. Seems like there was a lot of work put into trying to nail down the overall art direction for the game. Shame they never got the chance to wrap it all up and deliver.

As people have said, the arts all over the place. The best parts for me are the huge monsters, but it's something which could be incorporated into the new God of War game. Stig really fucked the pooch with this game though, I remember it being the game I wanted revealed most for a couple years and then the news came SSM fucked up.

Cuburt

JPO5M7h.jpg
lol This flying knee shotgun is so ridiculous, I'm not sure if it's stupidly cool or just impractically stupid. I'm going with the latter since it is the only thing in all that concept art to be so over-the-top.

Endo Punk

SSM before Barlog lacked a cohesive vision. The art work looks random like they were throwing darts while blindfolded, no wonder it kept missing deadlines. GOW looks phenomenal and I hope Sony gives SSM another chance with a new IP but Barlog must be at the helm, he is as necessary to SSM success as Druckmann is to ND.

AudioEppa

Wow fuck Sony for cancelling this, it looks amazing.

I can't even..

Anyway, some of the art looks cool. But overall meh. I'm really sick of the whole futuristic alien looking animals or people theme. Just want a really deep story game about regular people set in a future world with high tech and luscious graphics. Wait. I think I just described Detroit 😂 Thank god Sony has quantic dream.

I got no problem with Sony canceling this.

It's a shame because some of those creature designs look really cool and unique. I would have been amazing to see giant underwater kos (kosm) and fire breathing giraffe-things in the clouds. But like what a lot of people have already said, it doesn't look like it had one grand vision and I can see that being what got it cancelled.

Raylan

Banned
SSM before Barlog lacked a cohesive vision. The art work looks random like they were throwing darts while blindfolded, no wonder it kept missing deadlines. GOW looks phenomenal and I hope Sony gives SSM another chance with a new IP but Barlog must be at the helm, he is as necessary to SSM success as Druckmann is to ND.
I agree with Cory Barlog. More power to him and I hope Sony Santa Monica will get another/second theam.
But Naughty Dog and Druckmann? Nah, it was always Bruce Straley AND Neil Druckmann together. Let's wait and see how TLOU2 ends/plays without Straley.

AudioEppa

I agree with Corey. More power to him and I hope Sony Santa Monica will get another/second theam.
But Naughty Dog and Druckmann? Nah, it was always Bruce Straley AND Neil Druckmann together. Let's wait and see how TLOU2 ends/plays without Straley.

I agree that both of them are a great tag team to naughty dogs games. But I personally feel that Neil on his own, or surrounded by other people can make just as good, if not a better last of us than the first game. Just my opinion.

Looks more interesting than The Last of Kratos

🤔🤔
No.

Kaizer

Banned
Artwork is definitely all over the place, but there's some cool looking stuff in there. Really like the fish/sea creature humanoid versus humans stuff. Obviously since it was still just an idea our imaginations can run wild with what it could've been, but it was most likely cancelled for a reason. The new God of War looks amazing anyway, can't wait to see more at E3 this year!

Certain parts and pieces look interesting, but it has the feel of a failed new IP if it had been launched IMO. Generic Halo-inspired outfits in some of the "soldier" art, futuristic sci-fi (2034) when the market is being flooded with futuristic sci-fi, some interesting dinosaur-like designs, but a bit bland looking overall as someone said earlier.

Looking at the concept art it was probably for the best.

Thewonandonly

Wow looking at the concept art it's a damn shame this got canceled. There some major potential here. Loving all the focus on water / water creatures. Not near enough of that in games
Man I'm with you their that kraken think looks fucking incredible. Santa mocnica I don't care if it doesn't fit the lore but make that a boss in god of war please :)

Vidpixel

Yeah, looks like a crazy mishmash of Halo, Destiny, Mass Effect and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Art itself is super interesting, but yeah, it's hard to get a clear sense of what they were going for with so many ideas being thrown together.

Well that sucks, looks like the type of diversity we needed on ps4, guess I'll settle for robot dinosaurs and a single player campaign.

Insert deep and regrettable sigh either before or after that statement.

Destiny + Mass effect + Star wars + ARK + Dead space = ???

The artwork does look all over the place and I can see how it probably didn't make for a very good sales pitch
Yes, I am saying this with zero behind the scenes information

I dunno what happened but ever since God of War Ascension I like Santa Monica Studios Art Direction less and less. I don't love any of this. It's just kinda meh and doesn't seem to have any sort of cohesion or direction at all. Just too many elements thrown together and not really all that well.

Hopefully Nordic GOW turns out okay....the E3 trailer was pretty awesome...so hopefully it'll be alright.

I can see why they cancelled this.

WAIT !!!!, Thought it was just MS who cancelled IP
Defense force is strong with this one...

Anyway, this seems like ripping off a bandaid to a wound here. Why speculate on how awesome something canceled looks? It's canceled. Did Sony say they were keeping anything?

And yeah I see nothing that looks coherent here art wise. Dunno why Santa Monica always has to go gory/ultra violent with the AAA. Get that gOw out of my shooter!

Papacheeks

Banned
Guess I'm alone in thinking the art looks pretty rad but a lot of it looks like it doesn't translate well to 3D models from some of it. Some of the human characters look super generic, and was this a online game or was it in the vein world wise like Destiny?

looks like it would of been a fun game, some of the human enemy concepts look like the ones from Uncharted 3 in the ship graveyard and others like a Mass Effect style alien.

Some of the artwork is great while some is ehhhh. Trying to piece all these various artworks together and comprehend it all blending together into a single game is something else.

Top Bottom