• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica's canceled new IP has major concept art leak, 35+ images

Matt

Everything I ever heard about it was that the game just didn't work, and they spent a long time and a lot of money trying to change that.

mckmas8808

Banned
Everything I ever heard about it was that the game just didn't work, and they spent a long time and a lot of money trying to change that.

What does "didn't work" mean? Like the frame rate couldn't be improved? The gameplay was horrible?

i get that impression from a lady having a shotgun knee

looks cool
but how would that work lol

only thing i can think of is a kick then shotgun burst or something

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yep, that's some concept art. Doesn't strike me as particularly interesting concept art, it died for a reason.

Games die everyday B.

16797992_10154120558236097_5569393352598322599_o.jpg

Bardem and Rourke though.

Haha, yeah, I was going to say the same.

Damn it this looks interesting. I wonder if the project can be revisited after the new God of War game is out.

Haha, yeah, I was going to say the same.

Damn it this looks interesting. I wonder if the project can be revisited after the new God of War game is out.

Practically ( if not everyone ) related to the project got fired, and unless Cory Barlog feels like he wants to revisit it or Shannon Studstill can convince Shu to invest in another two-team initiative, I highly doubt it.

I think priority one for Santa Monica is probably to get the House of Kratos stable and reenergised before they start branching out again.

Practically ( if not everyone ) related to the project got fired, and unless Cory Barlog feels like he wants to revisit it or Shannon Studstill can convince Shu to invest in another two-team initiative, I highly doubt it.

I think priority one for Santa Monica is probably to get the House of Kratos stable and reenergised before they start branching out again.
:( oh well. Mass Effect and Horizon will have to fill the sci-fi RPG void for now.

The amount of Sony cancelled games with great potential since the PS3 is just insane: The Getaway 3, 8 Days, the 3 Cellius games, this game...

How have you determined this had great potential? Because of a few drawings?

The Getaway series is already an established IP, the shift to next-gen with greater graphics can only help it.
8 days had been talked and teased many times with the leaks and videos showing very interesting gameplay, graphics, physics.
The Cellius games, from the cooperation between Sony, Cellius games (Ken Kutaragi) and Namco and according the boards talking about the games, we got the idea that they had new gameplay mechanics with multiple solutions and paths, similar to Quantic Dream games which was new and unique at that time.

I'm pretty sure those cellius games weren't ever real.

Well Cellius Games company, estbalished by Ken Kutaragi with the coopertion of Sony and Namco was real and had a site at that time. Things can happen like the cancellation of games and closure of companies etc.

The Getaway series is already an established IP, the shift to next-gen with greater graphics can only help it.
8 days had been talked and teased many times with the leaks and videos showing very interesting gameplay, graphics, physics.
The Cellius games, from the cooperation between Sony, Cellius games (Ken Kutaragi) and Namco and according the boards talking about the games, we got the idea that they had new gameplay mechanics with multiple solutions and paths, similar to Quantic Dream games which was new and unique at that time.

I said "this" as in the game this thread is about. Plenty of games can look like they have "potential" based on a few pieces of concept art or a pitch, see Kickstarter for evidence of this. It's the execution that is probably the hardest and most important thing in the end.

I said "this" as in the game this thread is about. Plenty of games can look like they have "potential" based on a few pieces of concept art or a pitch, see Kickstarter for evidence of this. It's the execution that is probably the hardest and most important thing in the end.

I am not 100% sure about this game. I was talking in general. Some games may be dead forever sadly.

I am not 100% sure about this game. I was talking in general. Some games may be dead forever sadly.

The same thing applies to those other games. We have very little to go off of to make the determination that they would have been good, and in general, im of the mind that in most cases cancelled games get cancelled for a reason.

ffvorax

I don't know... sometimes artworks are amazing and games based on them are shit.

I find some art really interesting, and some other not so much.

So... ok, we will never know, I won't cry for it.

Doesn't work as in "no matter what we do, we can't seem to make this concept fun or interesting as an actual game."
Yup, looked like a mess even from this small slice of artwork. Good ideas and concepts perhaps. I would love to see a shooter or adventure games based on a world of water though.

Wtf Sony this looks more interesting than any IP you have right now besides TloU and maybe Horizon.

Shame on them

What were they supposed to do? Continue to burn money on a project that wasn't working? It sounds like they couldn't turn the concept into a compelling game.

The art all looks really ugly, actually. Not technically poor, but unpleasant to look at. I wonder if that's what they were going for? I can't see there being much of an audience for it, though. Probably part of why it got canned.

Wtf Sony this looks more interesting than any IP you have right now besides TloU and maybe Horizon.

Shame on them

I think Sony would agree as the art is probably what helped the game get greenlit. Unfortunately they were putting together a video game, not a coffee table art book so at some point you have to deliver an actual game and from the sounds of it they were unable to do this.

prwxv3

I think Sony would agree as the art is probably what helped the game get greenlit. Unfortunately they were putting together a video game, not a coffee table art book so at some point you have to deliver an actual game and from the sounds of it they were unable to do this.

And Sony gave them more leeway then most publishers give.

A lot of really talented people worked on it. Basically the God of War 2 and 3 team. I'd argue that team was Sonys second jewel behind Naughty Dog.

But after 4 years if it still wasn't coming together enough to even officially announce. I would love to know what those issues where.

Art style looks great. But of course it would since Stig comes from a Art direction background.

jayu26

Shame on them
From these concept art can you tell me if sci-fi or fantasy? Or is it combination? Can you tell me if it's shooter or melee focused? Does it have platforming? Is it story driven or loot driven? Is RPG or action adventure? Or maybe it has horror elements, those horses remind me off gothic horrors. Heck can you even tell me if it's first person or third person?

No? Then how the heck is it more interesting than games with actual clear vision?

BTW I didn't just make up bunch of stuff. This game has been rumored to be all of those things at one point or other.

I am disappointed too that they couldn't make a new IP work. But this thing is far cry from the clear vision of the new reimagined God of War.

kennyamr

For some reason I'm not feeling it. I know it's not nice to say it but I think it's good that it was cancelled. It's like they smashed Mass Effect, Destiny, and Horizon together... or something.

Oh well.
I think it was the right call.

The problem people have is when a game is officially announced at a big press event and then cancelled a year later after people actually buy the console with the expectation of playing that game.

I highly doubt people just bought a Xbox to play Scalebound. If you're buying a console for just one game it tends to be when that game is actually out, not months before. I'm sure this board likes to make out that there's no need for the Xbox with the PC and this game was meant to come to the PC ;)

Games get dropped all the time, even if they've been showing off at an Big trade event. SONY did with the likes of Getaway 3, The Agency. I was gutted when Lionhead dropped both Unity for the GameGube and B.C for the XBox, same goes with SEGA dropping Take the Bullet.

But when games get delayed and developers start missing their milestones that's when the trouble starts .

GodofWine

not sure what people are seeing in those images that screams "this was going to be good", looks like generic space shoot stuff, with a couple small twists to remain "edgy".

and it probably was just shaping up to be not a lot of fun.

Top Bottom