• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says it’s ‘unlikely’ PS5 supplies will drastically improve this year - Microsoft expects Xbox Series X/S supply issues to continue until June

What? I thought the Series S was the best performance per $?
No.
Series X is 4 times as powerful as Series X.
Not even talking about double the storage, a disk drive and just better and more expensive build quality.

All for just $200 more or 67%
Series S is great if you don't need power have a tight budget. But performance per $ Series X is winning.

skit_data

No.
Not even talking about double the storage, a disk drive and just better and more expensive build quality.

Series S is great if you don't need power have a tight budget. But performance per $ Series X is winning.
Then what about the PS5 DE? $100 less and pretty much the same performance as Series X?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No.

Agreed.

Totally worth the extra money.

But there is a market for S:

- don't want to spend extra money
- dont have a 4k tv
- dont buy discs or play 4k movies, digital all the way
- can live with a 512gb SSD (which means they aren't a big gamer with tons of games to begin with. a maxed out COD wit all modes and patches s probably 200gb by now)
- if they want more storage, they'd prefer milk an S now as long as possible, and buy that Seagate card if desperate as a later on purchase
- dont care that PS5 or X has games that might run at double the frame rate
- fine with games that seem standard running at 1080/60 or 1440/30

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
PS5 is in that discussion too, especially when game engines will start fully utilizing the SSD.
What is up with you people in claiming a damn SSD is going to make the game look better or even run better, I simply do not understand. A damn SSD does not output performance and graphics. It makes the game run smooth in terms of loading games faster along with assets being loaded faster but you people make it seem like the special SSD can do more than what the SSD for the Xbox Series X/S can do.

skit_data

What is up with you people in claiming a damn SSD is going to make the game look better or even run better, I simply do not understand. A damn SSD does not output performance and graphics. It makes the game run smooth in terms of loading games faster along with assets being loaded faster but you people make it seem like the special SSD can do more than what the SSD for the Xbox Series X/S can do.
Considering NVidias new cards are integrating storage and decompression technology into their GPUs I wouldn’t call it absurd to suggest it impacts graphics in one way or another.

Edit: I’m not suggesting it will suddenly make all games run at 7373377 fps on the PS5 or anything close to it but when several games display hiccups due to streaming issues on Series X according to DF its hard to make the claim that it has no impact at all even on performance

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Considering NVidias new cards are integrating storage and decompression technology into their GPUs I wouldn’t call it absurd to suggest it impacts graphics in one way or another.

Edit: I’m not suggesting it will suddenly make all games run at 7373377 fps on the PS5 or anything close to it but when several games display hiccups due to streaming issues on Series X according to DF its hard to make the claim that it has no impact at all even on performance
That's only because its storage solution is nowhere near to be fully utilized, they will once Velocity Architecture is available for devs, I guess it already is but games that release this year would have to re-do their I/O or texture stream pipeline in order to take advantage of it, which won't happen cause it doesn't make sense finantially.

In PS5 case, I guess the hardware solution can just brute force it and get very good results anyway compared to Xbox, so no need to wait for software solution.

OT: I'm wondering if PS5 lacking more than Xbox will make people go for Xbox instead, cosidering they'll want a next gen console asap... That assuming that Xbox solves their availability this year as MS states.

None, unless you use some AI magic.
But it doesn't matter. Xbox Series X is the best performance per $ and that won't change until 2025

I'm so glad the new consoles released and I don't have to upgrade my PC.
I will rock my 1070 until 2024 or maybe even into 2026 if I have to. (3nm for consumer HPC should arrive in 2026

It's ridicules
Its opposite for me.
Xbox may do anything but PS5 diskless is much more valuable because
1. It have and will have games I want to play (exclusives)
2. PSVR2
3. I already have a good PC (i7, 2070S, 32gb, 2TB SSD)
Only 3rd one alone make Xbox almost useless for me BUT most important for me is games.

skit_data

That's only because its storage solution is nowhere near to be fully utilized, they will once Velocity Architecture is available for devs, I guess it already is but games that release this year would have to re-do their I/O or texture stream pipeline in order to take advantage of it, which won't happen cause it doesn't make sense finantially.

In PS5 case, I guess the hardware solution can just brute force it and get very good results anyway compared to Xbox, so no need to wait for software solution.
Yes, I figure that to be the case as well. Series X will probably not have streaming issues in the future once the software is more developed. Personally I think Sony made absolutely sure that they could at least brute force it, hence the absurd speed. Both will have solutions to the same problem, but some simply don’t see how it’s a bottleneck and joke around somehow thinking Sony are completely off and how storage has nothing to do with how the game will perform as an end result.

It’s also important to point out that both Xbox and Sony has to make absolutely sure they don’t lack or bottleneck any of the features that will be integral parts of game development for a whole generation. Sony went balls to the wall hardware solution coupled with decompression route whereas Xbox made sure to make a more software based solution that will be applicable to PCs as well. None of these are wrong, they are just solutions to two quite different demands.

By putting purpose built decompressors close to the GPU in their consoles it shows they probably know better than most random gaffers that are joking about fast storage is not part of what make up graphics in the coming 6-7 years.

Last edited:

reksveks

3. I already have a good PC (i7, 2070S, 32gb, 2TB SSD)
Only 3rd one alone make Xbox almost useless for me BUT most important for me is games.
Unless you care for quick resume or you are upset at the fact that gamepass for console is better than the PC one then yeah, you are generally fine without a xbox. I use my series s as an Indie machine. Pc as my AAA machine

Top Bottom