• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony seems to be blocking off IDs from accessing support

edit: Apparently it now seems that myself and others can't access PSN Support chat for absolutely anything because Sony seems to have blocked off our IDs from support chat. Trying with a made up ID takes us to chat. All of us seem to have the same situation of having previously requested a refund or a cancellation.

----------------------------------
Ok so I was one of the guys that got a refund from No Man's Sky on PS4 due to a 'gesture of good will' or whatever. That was nice of them considering their policy is very specific with refunds after you've downloaded/played the game.

Recently I got a gaming PC. I love it. I figure "hey now with this gaming PC I can play most of my games on it instead of my PS4". So I go to request a cancellation for the pre-order almost a month in advance if not more for a title I got a long time ago.

Their chat system is down because they apparently have like 1 guy answering everybody so I have to call the phone line. Wait time: 30 minutes. Whatever. I leave it on speaker phone. When I eventually get a phone representative I state my case.

They tell me "oh I see you got a refund for No Man's Sky as a one time gesture of good will. Because of that we can't give you a refund for this"

I tell her that while i appreciate the gesture of good will, that the NMS situation was a purchase I got a refund from, while this is a PRE-ORDER. She tells me it makes no difference. I tell her that on the website of Sony itself there's a clear page for return policies for pre-orders and read it to her.

https://www.playstation.com/en-in/g...ons/pre-orders/how-do-i-cancel-a-pre-order-0/

She then puts me on hold as she goes to speak with a manager, comes back minutes later and tells me I'm getting a refund ticket and that someone would be reviewing my case. I ask what case is there to review and she tells me some bullshit story about how the company can't return two things on the same reason. Which again makes no fucking sense. She then gives me a case number and hangs up.

Now I have a case number with me and I fucking doubt they'll be attempting to give this to me.

Not only that but their regular chat system seems to be down or some shit since yesterday. There isn't a link to the live support chat, and when you find it via other means it just says it's down at the moment and to either tweet or give a call.

I can't help but feel they're going to do whatever they can to delay this shit until it releases and I have to pay for it.

Kyoufu

They blocked my PSN ID on their web chat service after I got a refund for No Man's Sky.

Sony's customer service is the pits.

Whales

Banned
Yep , Sony's policies are awful. I'm not pre-ordering digital games from them anymore because of this. They are literally treating us like shit...

Thank you blessed Steam refunds policy. So good.

The sooner people raise a stink over getting equal refund policies the better the industry will be for consumers.

13ruce

Banned
They clearly have to so don't give up. Baffles me though that they begin about the gesture of goodwill, that was pretty ridiculous because it is about a pre order wich they clearly do refund normally.

Mr-Joker

Banned
This is why I prefer to buy retail over digital as I still have the option to resell or trade in the physical copy.

With Digital however you're pretty much giving up that right at a higher price point.

krae_man

That refund link is for India. Do you live in India?

North America is "No refunds" on preorders.

Notice the "it depends on if you selected Pay later" or not part. We don't have that here.

Our consumer protection laws suck.

Kyoufu

Fucking A how do you know/figure this out? Because I'm not even seeing the chat bubble appear under the site before I even log in.

If I enter my PSN ID in the field where it asks for my account ID then it says their customer support chat is unavailable.

If I enter any other ID, I then connect to an agent.

Where do you live? Pretty sure in the UK it's illegal to do this if you haven't received the goods yet (especially so if it's not even fucking released!). That probably extrapolates to all of Europe as well, I guess.

Digital laws are still shit though and these companies need to be held accountable for their poor refund services.

Tagyhag

I feel like with VR games on PS4 now, they really have to start working on making their refund system better.

What if someone gets incredibly sick every time they play a game? They should be entitled to an easy refund.

That refund link is for India. Do you live in India?

North America is "No refunds" on preorders.

Notice the "it depends on if you selected Pay later" or not part. We don't have that here.

Our consumer protection laws suck.

Good point on the country, but I can't even find a page for preorders for the US on google it automatically takes you to this page or the australia one.

I can't even find a US one. So if they have a policy of no cancellations for pre-order that's a bit of a joke considering they're giving me a refund on South Park because it got delayed.

They tried to give me shit when they auto renewed my ps+ even though they increased the price and I asked for a refund (the DAY it went through).

I felt kinda bad I was mean to the CS rep, not his fault their policy is shite. And I'm used to dealing with Amazon.

krae_man

Good point on the country, but I can't even find a page for preorders for the US on google it automatically takes you to this page or the australia one.

I can't even find a US one. So if they have a policy of no cancellations for pre-order that's a bit of a joke considering they're giving me a refund on South Park because it got delayed.

That would have been another one time good will gesture.

They basically told me the same thing when I got refunded for being hacked. "We'll do this one time only but never again, no matter how much our fault it is."

That's Sony's M.O. You should know if before you do business with them. Their answer was that I could cancel everything - and I did.

I'm not even especially choosy on policies. I expect to be able to cancel pre-orders for sure, but also expect to be able to be refunded for account breaches which especially result from their terrible InfoSec culture.

Rellik

Where do you live? Pretty sure in the UK it's illegal to do this if you haven't received the goods yet (especially so if it's not even fucking released!). That probably extrapolates to all of Europe as well, I guess.

Digital laws are still shit though and these companies need to be held accountable for their poor refund services.

That's why here in the UK Sony doesn't take any money for a preorder and you can cancel at any time. That proves Sony has the system already. They're just being assholes in the US.

Purest 78

They tell you up front no refunds on pre-orders I'm not sure what's baffling. Now if that's right or wrong that's a different discussion.

Logash

Dealt with a situation on my South Park Preorder. I wanted to get a refund because the game was delayed to March and they were giving me the serious run around. I ended up arguing with the agent and telling him to take out all my preorders to get a refund. Agent told me that I might not get it and I asked for a manager and the manager told me that he doesn't know why the other agent said that and really pushed towards me getting off the phone. I wasn't 100% sure I would get my money back so I asked him to tell me why a request like this would get denied and he said he doesn't know because the billing department handles that... So where can I talk to them? No where because no body has access to this all powerful fucking billing department. If I get my refunds I am going back to boxed games. At least I don't have to fucking deal with these people as much.

lmao

they most definitely blocked my ID for any support chat after No Man's Sky. One time gesture of good will my ass, more like one time gesture of 'go fuck yourself we want your money'.

I think this is the nail in the coffin, never buying anything digital off these fuckers besides digital only games again.

Logash

lmao

they most definitely blocked my ID for any support chat after No Man's Sky. One time gesture of good will my ass, more like one time gesture of 'go fuck yourself we want your money'.

I think this is the nail in the coffin, never buying anything digital off these fuckers besides digital only games again.

idk if that's true. I don't have access to their chat support either. Tried a couple of times.

ReBurn

Gold Member

The store page for every game available for preorder has a notice that refunds are not available except where required by law.

fKT4w1J.jpg

That's probably why you can't find a US page.

idk if that's true. I don't have access to their chat support either. Tried a couple of times.

Try putting in your information and put a random PSN ID. Does it take you straight to the blue screen or does it start loading the chat screen?

I got the chat screen loading when I put a random PSN ID.

The store page for every game available for preorder has a notice that refunds are not available except where required by law.

That's probably why you can't find a US page.

I guess that's the end of it, which is funny considering every other country allows you to cancel it before it releases, Apparently US consumer protection is fucking shit.

Now the real issue is 'Sony has seemingly blocked off my ID from support chat after giving me a gesture of good will'

Salty Hippo

Sony's CS is shit worldwide. I'm from Brazil and they charged my credit card full price for a PS3 game I claimed for free as part of PS+. When I contacted them, they simply refused to provide any help. I was so baffled by that that I started a small suit against them on principle alone, as the 60 dollars was not even worth the waste of time. Took one audience for them to offer me a refund of 2x the amount plus corrections. I took it, deleted my credit card from PSN and haven't renewed my PS+ membership since. It also helped me decide to skip on the PS4 and buy a gaming PC instead.

Justinh

I can't believe they're still hanging onto that "one time gesture" for when you're trying to cancel a pre-order.
I think you should be able to cancel any preorder anytime without any hassles. You haven't even accessed the game yet!

Logash

Try putting in your information and put a random PSN ID. Does it take you straight to the blue screen or does it start loading the chat screen?

I got the chat screen loading when I put a random PSN ID.

omg... it worked... wtf is wrong with Playstation Support? Why can my PSN ID not access support? I didn't even get a refund before I tried it the last time. I hope I get my refund man cause I'm done with most digital games on the store till they fix these horrible policies.

chitnex

I can't believe they're still hanging onto that "one time gesture" for cancelling a pre-order.
I think you should be able to cancel any preorder anytime without any hassles. You haven't even accessed the game yet!
Right. Since when is cancelling a pre-order a "good gesture?"

I think this has reached a point somebody should start a GoFundMe for one lawyer willing to fight this anti-consumer customer service and take it to the court.

omg... it worked... wtf is wrong with Playstation Support? Why can my PSN ID not access support? I didn't even get a refund before I tried it the last time. I hope I get my refund man cause I'm done with most digital games on the store till they fix these horrible policies.

LMAO dude, this is either a massive glitch or a different topic for a thread that needs attention. What the ever living fuck.

GametimeUK

I though you could cancel pre orders? I got The Division beta by pre ordering and cancelling the pre order. Anyway, Sony are a pile of shit lately. I buy GTA4 for the PC and the game runs like ass. I can get a refund no problem. If I bought The Witcher 3 at launch for PS4 and got stuck with that 20fps bullshit then I'm not entitled to a refund? What the hell?

Digital refunds within an hour of play (and fair use... I can't stress fair use enough) is a great way to do things. Pre orders should be allowed to be cancelled too.

I hear some pretty self entitled stories from gamers, but I think these are basic rights. Products should work smoothly, orders should be able to get cancelled. It's that simple.

Also, when Sony fuck up and charge you twice for psn like that guy on Gaf a week or so ago and they suggest you get chargeback via the bank (their own advice) which then leads to your account being banned... YOU'RE STILL IN THE WRONG?!?!?! Fuck Sony.

Kyoufu

I think this has reached a point somebody should start a GoFundMe for one lawyer willing to fight this anti-consumer customer service and take it to the court.

LMAO dude, this is either a massive glitch or a different topic for a thread that needs attention. What the ever living fuck.

It's not a glitch. They block customers for accessing their support chat.

If someone wants to make a thread, go for it.

OCD Guy

That's why here in the UK Sony doesn't take any money for a preorder and you can cancel at any time. That proves Sony has the system already. They're just being assholes in the US.

When was the last time you pre-ordered a game? As that's no longer a thing anymore.

Payment is required at the point of pre-order now in the UK.

Tagyhag

Steam's refund policy is pretty shit too. The 2 hour limit is not close to enough time.

Tons of people couldn't even get NMS refunded, even with the media shitstorm.

You can already beat some games under 2 hours, you'll be fucking over hundreds of more devs if you increase the limit.

If you can't tell if you dislike a game by the 2 hour mark, then what are you doing?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
US consumer protection laws are basically "we'd literally let corporations murder you in the street and take your wallet if we could get away with it".

It's disgusting.

Shameful display by Sony, for the players my ass.

Steam's refund policy is pretty shit too. The 2 hour limit is not close to enough time.

Tons of people couldn't even get NMS refunded, even with the media shitstorm.

For NMS they handed out refunds for a while to people who had logged more than 2 hours and who claimed it was false advertising.

But yeah, it could be better. GoG has a 30-day refund policy regardless of time played. It opens the system up for abuse, sure, but at least it's a more flexible system.

low-G

No refunds on preorders is borderline scam territory. You'd have to be mental to preorder on PSN (also you'll get a better deal literally anywhere else)

test_account

XP-39C²
I hear some pretty self entitled stories from gamers, but I think these are basic rights. Products should work smoothly, orders should be able to get cancelled. It's that simple.
It isnt really that simple because what "working smoothly" is can be very subjective when it comes to software. Canceling pre-orders is more straight forward and should be allowed, i agree with that.

Also, when Sony fuck up and charge you twice for psn like that guy on Gaf a week or so ago and they suggest you get chargeback via the bank (their own advice) which then leads to your account being banned... YOU'RE STILL IN THE WRONG?!?!?! Fuck Sony.
In that case, its clear that its a human error at the customer service. If he/she really was offered advice to do a chargeback, thats silly.

Late last year, I tried to purchase Earth Defense Force 4.1 on the PSN store. I was given an error code and told to contact Sony support, I did so and they told me that I wasn't charged.

Days later, a charge for $50 from Sony Entertainment Network showed up on my credit card. I called up Sony support and they refused to acknowledge that this had happened, and instead challenged me to initiate a chargeback with my credit card company. But said that if I wasn't successful (and that I most likely would not be), I would lose my PSN account. Needless to say, I never attempted the chargeback and bought the game again through my PS4.

Really shitty practice, I posted about it back around the time and a guy here tried to help me get it sorted out through the VIP forum but Sony were equally unhelpful to him.

EDIT: I forgot to mention it, but Sony supported disconnected me twice when I questioned why I should risk my account of six years for a $50 videogame. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Matt

Isn't an ass backwards system of refunds in this day and age, not to mention (seemingly) blocking off users from getting any support whatsoever from their chat system after getting a supposed gesture of good will fairly anti consumer?
Yep.

But they aren't illegal, so I don't know what a court case would accomplish.

test_account

XP-39C²
No refunds on preorders is borderline scam territory. You'd have to be mental to preorder on PSN (also you'll get a better deal literally anywhere else)
Not always, and it depends on where you live as well. I recently saw that RIGS is actually cheaper on PSN than it is here locally. But people who pre-order does it most likely because they want the game as a download version. Then theres really no other alternative.

Top Bottom