• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony seems to be blocking off IDs from accessing support

fernoca

Can't be said enough really.
Well, it can and you did. :p

The reality is that, Steam still took around 10 years to implement such policy (despite Origins having it) and that's outside Steam not having even basic customer functions like chat or phone.

At least thet can't block people from chat. XD

Origins did it before Steam did and set the better standard, but Steam gets all the credit. I say this as someone that has most of his library on Steam.....

Origin does have a 24 hour no questions asked policy... for EA games. Look at this amazing list of 3rd party games supporting it:

BLACKGUARDS
BOUND BY FLAME
GOODBYE DEPONIA
LEISURE SUIT LARRY: RELOADED
METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE
TALES FROM THE DRAGON MOUNTAIN 2: THE LAIR
TOMB RAIDER I+II+III BUNDLE
TOMB RAIDER: THE ANGEL OF DARKNESS
TOMB RAIDER IV + V BUNDLE
WASTELAND 2
GIANA SISTERS: TWISTED DREAMS

Wow nearly everybody!

Origins did it before Steam did and set the better standard, but Steam gets all the credit. I say this as someone that has most of his library on Steam.....

Frankly, I don't care who did it first. I was just trying to convey the sentiment that consumers should be lobbying for that kind of refund system if they want it.

Though props to origin for being the first to take those steps. Did not know that. Still, I don't think that it should be a knock against those who come afterwards either. I also don't think steam is to blame for people thinking that it was the first to do this or something.

It was just an example of a storefront that did it and a very popular and large one at that. Probably more akin to PSN or XBL than Origin.

Do it so we can copy and paste it into future threads with these issues, whether refunds or chat blocking. The more complaints lodged against them, the better.

I'm on it.

Yeah I've sent a complaint to the BBB. We'll see if it goes anywhere I guess. I think I may have chosen the wrong Sony family when searching, but it'll likely get easily corrected.

OmegaFax

My account was blocked from web chat because I initiated a refund request in August 2015 and attempted to contact them again over No Man's Sky. Least that's the theory.

I spent an hour trying to figure out why my chat request wouldn't go through until I started digging around and reading a few GameFAQs and PlayStation message board topics. Glad I found this topic pop up because I this is a bigger issue that Sony isnt being transparent enough about and it folds into the rest of their business practices.

What I ended up doing was initiation a chat request on my alternate PSN account and gave the order number on my digital receipt for my main account and pertinent info and that worked.

Not once did the chat representative say there was anything wrong with my account or there was a flag in the system. I never asked. I wanted my money back for NMS.

Better Buisiness Bureau complaint tutorial for filing a complaint about the issue in the op.

Whew, they don't make this one easy but I tried as hard as I could to gather everything you need. should only take a minute or two by following this. As always, if I missed anything or if anything needs to be changed or improved let me know and I will get to it asap.

Start by heading over to the Better Buisiness Bureau file a complaint page located here.

Read, then select "start your complaint" at the bottom.

Step 1: Nature of Complaint

"Is the business in the United States or Canada?"
Slelect- Yes

"Your complaint involves a:"
Select- business's product or service (other than a vehicle or cell phone)

"Are you an active duty service member, a civilian employee of the Department of Defense, a military dependent or retired from active duty? (required)
What do we do with this information?"
Select- whatever is aplicable

Step 2: Find Buisiness

Search For:
Fill in- Sony Corporation of America

In:
Leave blank.

Select- Search.

Sony Corporation of America should be the first option in the search results. Select it.

Now you should see a pop-up.

Select Buisiness Location
Please let us know which Sony Corporation of Americalocation your complaint should be filed against. You may also file your complaint against the business's headquarters directly.

Under Adress look for: "Headquarters (Select this if your complaint isn't location specific)"
Select this. It should be the first on the list.

There will be another pop-up,
Notice
You are now leaving www.bbb.org to complete your complaint with BBB of Metropolitan New York online complaint system. The local BBB which will handle your complaint has its own privacy policy. Please refer to it if you have any question about how your personal information will be used and stored. By clicking "continue" below, you acknowledge that the BBB is a U.S. organization, and you consent to the handling of your complaint and the processing of your personal data within the United States.
Their contact information is:
BBB of Metropolitan New York
30 East 33rd Street
New York, NY 10016
(212)533-6200
Inquiry@newyork.bbb.org

Select- Continue

How Can The BBB assist you?

"Please select one of the following:"
Select- I am looking to resolve a dispute with a business.
Click here to File a Complaint

"BBB: Qualification Questions"
Select- Proceed To Complaint Form

Sony Electronics

Read and select the second option- If your complaint is about Sony PlayStation® Network (including PlayStation® games, movies, TV shows, and music): Click Here.

File a Complaint: Sony Network Entertainment of America
Read and Select- Continue

Online Complaint Form
Sony Network Entertainment of America

Step 1 : Verify the nature of your Complaint

To all of the questions in RED Select- NO
To the question in blue- If you haven't contacted Sony and want to give a reason as to why, you may do so here. I would personally put that many already have and nothing has been resolved.

Step 2 : Tell us about yourself

Fill out your personal info and select- Next

Step 3 : Select a location

"Please indicate which of the company's locations below is involved with your complaint:"
Select- ---No Address Attached---

Select- Next.

Online Complaint Form

Step 4 : Categorize your complaint

"Does it involve health issue?"
Select- No

"Select the general category from the list below that best fits your complaint:"
Select- Customer Service Issues

Select- Next

Step 5: Describe your complaint to us.

Read the text in the grey box then proceed.

"Complaint Summary (max 150 characters)"
Write- Sony is blocking ID's from accessing support. (Feel free to write something better if you want.)

"Please use the space below to describe your complaint in detail. Please include all the details of the complaint such as Problem Date, Purchase Date, Model Numbers, Order Numbers, Account Numbers, Sales Rep, Payment Amount, Payment Method, and other specific details to this complaint (max 4000 characters)."
Write- Myself and others have been blocked from contacting Sony support for no reason on xx/xx/xx (Fill out the date that you noticed the problem). We can't contact support at all for issues that we are having by using our PSN ID's like we normally would. However, it isn't just a networking error as we can access the support chat if we use a random (Somebody else's) PSN ID just fine. I beleive this to be unnacaptable and anti consumer behavior no matter the company. Even more so for those of us who pay for their services. (Feel free to write something better if you want.)

"Please choose one of the following desired resolution categories"
From the drop down box select- Other (requires explanation)

"Please describe the resolution you are seeking from the business (max 4000 characters):"
Write- Want my access to support back and better customer service policies in general.

"When did you last contact the business regarding this complaint?"
If you didn't then just write- Never
If you did then use the calander button to enter an approximate date if you don't remember exactly.

"This box is intended to allow you to provide special instructions to BBB"
I left this blank.

That should be it! We as gamers need to speak out in any form we can against practices we don't want. Together just like the who's we can be heard! :D

Utter garbage "service".

This is why I don't buy into their services and shit. Just consider it a lesson learned and post your shitty experience on twitter or in an amazon review for all to see.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Valve's policy is the more relevant reference point as EA's refund policy applies only to EA's own catalogue and "participating third-party titles" -- of which, on the AU store, there were exactly none the last time I checked (quite some time ago now, granted). I can't imagine many people being thrilled by Sony finally introducing refunds only to limit the policy to its own games.

Edit: It seems some third-party games are now part of EA's refund policy. And by "some", I mean 11.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'd feel the same way about those who preorder physical and/or digital as there are limitations to returning both at times. If you can't wait an extra day or so to play that game or even wait for reviews, then that's on you, mate. Pre-order bonuses be damned!

I hope you get it worked out, but it's hard to feel all that sorry about the comments from others. Hell, I almost pre-ordered titanfall 2 and thank goodness I decided to wait.

Last thing I pre-ordered digitally was halo MCC. I was on the phone near 45 minutes getting into it with MS for that shit. Apprently, no one knew who "stinkles" was when I told them he said we'd get refunds. Last time I did that. 😛

You have to say "Frankie"

Origin does have a 24 hour no questions asked policy... for EA games. Look at this amazing list of 3rd party games supporting it:

BLACKGUARDS
BOUND BY FLAME
GOODBYE DEPONIA
LEISURE SUIT LARRY: RELOADED
METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE
TALES FROM THE DRAGON MOUNTAIN 2: THE LAIR
TOMB RAIDER I+II+III BUNDLE
TOMB RAIDER: THE ANGEL OF DARKNESS
TOMB RAIDER IV + V BUNDLE
WASTELAND 2
GIANA SISTERS: TWISTED DREAMS

Wow nearly everybody!
isn't that literally every third party title on origin?

Z3M0G

I once used my "one time good will" for them cancelling PS3 preorder of Dragon Age Inquisition, because I was in an excited rush to order the PS4 version and didn't realize I was on the wrong screen... I pre-ordered the PS4 version literally right after the call.

I would so tell them to look up my history to see that though...

OCD Guy

isn't that literally every third party title on origin?

Yeah not sure what the swipe towards EA was.

Their store refund policy is great, whether they have an abundance of 3rd party games isn't really relevant to customer service.

Origin was created initially as an outlet to sell EA games, I'm sure in time they'll add more and more 3rd party titles when possible. Does the fact they don't have lot's of 3rd party games make their refund policy any worse? Or is he trying to insinuate that their refund policy is only good because they don't have a lot of 3rd party games, as that would be bullshit to be honest.

The facts are that pc gamers have it better when it comes to purchasing games, they have refund options that are much more accessible. They also have choice, something any digital gamer with a PS4 doesn't have. There's nothing a Sony defence force can really come up with to dispute that.

I still don't get why people pre order games. It's not like a digital download is going out of stock... Or physical for that matter, I always find copies around whatever games they are.

The fundamental issue is not with pre-ordering games. The issue is the general customer service Sony provide should you have an issue. Whether I have an issue with a pre-order, normal purchase, ps plus, ps now, streaming, hardware or just general query they should treat me like a king. Without me and other's in this thread i.e customers they'd be nothing.

There's only so many times you can treat someone like shit before they stop coming back to you.

I still don't get why people pre order games. It's not like a digital download is going out of stock... Or physical for that matter, I always find copies around whatever games they are.

But Sony banning customers from support is really shitty for sure.

I can confirm this has happened to me too. Eventually the ban was lifted after about a year, but the next time I used it (to ask a simple question about a lack of email notifications when purchasing PSN items) I was banned again.

DMTripper

I once had an issue with playstation support in the UK. Can't be assed to type it all here but I wasn't happy.

Sold my PS4 and went PC.

Honestly haven't looked back.

beastlove

The lack of refunds puts me off buying both physical and digital games on the ps4. With digital there is no excuse for not having a refund policy like steam. Personally I don't take risks with my ps4 gaming purchases and therefore don't purchase as many indie or middle of the road games as I voukd

MUnited83

For you.
Might be because Origin has it for their own published titles, and Steam has it for all of the>9000 games they sell.

I got a refund for forgetting to cancel PSNow a few months ago. Just before the price went up I got a refund for buying two more years of PS+ than I wanted because the store gave errors.

Better Buisiness Bureau complaint tutorial for filing a complaint about the issue in the op.

Whew, they don't make this one easy but I tried as hard as I could to gather everything you need. should only take a minute or two by following this. As always, if I missed anything or if anything needs to be changed or improved let me know and I will get to it asap.

Start by heading over to the Better Buisiness Bureau file a complaint page located here.

Read, then select "start your complaint" at the bottom.

Step 1: Nature of Complaint

"Is the business in the United States or Canada?"
Slelect- Yes

"Your complaint involves a:"
Select- business's product or service (other than a vehicle or cell phone)

"Are you an active duty service member, a civilian employee of the Department of Defense, a military dependent or retired from active duty? (required)
What do we do with this information?"
Select- whatever is aplicable

Step 2: Find Buisiness

Search For:
Fill in- Sony Corporation of America

In:
Leave blank.

Select- Search.

Sony Corporation of America should be the first option in the search results. Select it.

Now you should see a pop-up.

Select Buisiness Location
Please let us know which Sony Corporation of Americalocation your complaint should be filed against. You may also file your complaint against the business's headquarters directly.

Under Adress look for: "Headquarters (Select this if your complaint isn't location specific)"
Select this. It should be the first on the list.

There will be another pop-up,
Notice
You are now leaving www.bbb.org to complete your complaint with BBB of Metropolitan New York online complaint system. The local BBB which will handle your complaint has its own privacy policy. Please refer to it if you have any question about how your personal information will be used and stored. By clicking "continue" below, you acknowledge that the BBB is a U.S. organization, and you consent to the handling of your complaint and the processing of your personal data within the United States.
Their contact information is:
BBB of Metropolitan New York
30 East 33rd Street
New York, NY 10016
(212)533-6200
Inquiry@newyork.bbb.org

Select- Continue

How Can The BBB assist you?

"Please select one of the following:"
Select- I am looking to resolve a dispute with a business.
Click here to File a Complaint

"BBB: Qualification Questions"
Select- Proceed To Complaint Form

Sony Electronics

Read and select the second option- If your complaint is about Sony PlayStation® Network (including PlayStation® games, movies, TV shows, and music): Click Here.

File a Complaint: Sony Network Entertainment of America
Read and Select- Continue

Online Complaint Form

Step 1 : Verify the nature of your Complaint

To all of the questions in RED Select- NO
To the question in blue- If you haven't contacted Sony and want to give a reason as to why, you may do so here. I would personally put that many already have and nothing has been resolved.

Step 2 : Tell us about yourself

Fill out your personal info and select- Next

Step 3 : Select a location

"Please indicate which of the company's locations below is involved with your complaint:"
Select- ---No Address Attached---

Select- Next.

Online Complaint Form

Step 4 : Categorize your complaint

"Does it involve health issue?"
Select- No

"Select the general category from the list below that best fits your complaint:"
Select- Customer Service Issues

Select- Next

Step 5: Describe your complaint to us.

Read the text in the grey box then proceed.

"Complaint Summary (max 150 characters)"
Write- Sony is blocking ID's from accessing support. (Feel free to write something better if you want.)

"Please use the space below to describe your complaint in detail. Please include all the details of the complaint such as Problem Date, Purchase Date, Model Numbers, Order Numbers, Account Numbers, Sales Rep, Payment Amount, Payment Method, and other specific details to this complaint (max 4000 characters)."
Write- Myself and others have been blocked from contacting Sony support for no reason on xx/xx/xx (Fill out the date that you noticed the problem). We can't contact support at all for issues that we are having by using our PSN ID's like we normally would. However, it isn't just a networking error as we can access the support chat if we use a random (Somebody else's) PSN ID just fine. I beleive this to be unnacaptable and anti consumer behavior no matter the company. Even more so for those of us who pay for their services. (Feel free to write something better if you want.)

"Please choose one of the following desired resolution categories"
From the drop down box select- Other (requires explanation)

"Please describe the resolution you are seeking from the business (max 4000 characters):"
Write- Want my access to support back and better customer service policies in general.

"When did you last contact the business regarding this complaint?"
If you didn't then just write- Never
If you did then use the calander button to enter an approximate date if you don't remember exactly.

"This box is intended to allow you to provide special instructions to BBB"
I left this blank.

That should be it! We as gamers need to speak out in any form we can against practices we don't want. Together just like the who's we can be heard! :D

Thanks for doing this!

I got a refund on Grow Home last year (not because the game was bad, but because I was trying to get while it was a PS+ bonus on the day the servers updated to the next month and got charged). Got on chat just now, and...it went through just fine and I spoke to someone. I'm in the US if that matters.

Either way, pretty fucked up Sony is doing this to people.

JP

The worst thing with Sony support in the UK is there is no live chat, so contact must be made by phone or email.

EDITED.....
There certainly is Live Chat in the UK, I've used it two or three times and it's worked pertfectly for me. I just did a quick search and Live Chat isn't available now as they're open from 10.30 to 19.00, Monday to Friday.

It was a couple of months ago that I spoke to them and a quick search brought the page up straight up for me. I've used both the UK and USA version for different accounts and it's always my preferred means of contact as it's always working exactly as I thought it should.

I imagine it makes a difference who you're speaking to on the other end, which doesn't excuse any poor behaviour on their side but I've requested and received refunds on both accounts over the past twelve months and it's gone far better than I was expecting based on what can happen to people on here.

The refunds have always been down to issues on their side though rather than me trying to just cancel something or making a mistake.

OCD Guy

There certainly is Live Chat in the UK, I've used it two or three times and it's worked pertfectly for me. I just did a quick search and Live Chat isn't available now as they're open from 10.30 to 19.00, Monday to Friday.

It was a couple of months ago that I spoke to them and a quick search brought the page up straight up for me. I've used both the UK and USA version for different accounts and it's always my preferred means of contact as it's always working exactly as I thought it should.

I imagine it makes a difference who you're speaking to on the other end, which doesn't excuse any poor behaviour on their side but I've requested and received refunds on both accounts over the past twelve months and it's gone far better than I was expecting based on what can happen to people on here.

The refunds have always been down to issues on their side though rather than me trying to just cancel something or making a mistake.

I'd be curious for you to try and access live chat again when you get the chance.

I can assure you that from my end it's been impossible to get access to live chat in the UK anymore.

As far as I'm concerned live chat in the uk is the same as pre-orders without payment upfront....a distant memory.

With regards to your positive service, I don't doubt that some people have had good experiences, all I can go on is my own personal experiences and they have been horrible.

Again it seems like your experiences in accessing live chat and getting refunds have not been recent. My experiences are from within the last few weeks. I'd be surprised if someone has had a great hassle free experience on obtaining a refund on a faulty game that wasn't no man's sky recently.

JP

I'd be curious for you to try and access live chat again when you get the chance.

I can assure you that from my end it's been impossible to get access live chat in the UK anymore.

As far as I'm concerned live chat in the uk is the same as pre-orders without payment upfront....a distant memory.

With regards to your positive service, I don't doubt that some people have had good experiences, all I can go on is my own personal experiences and they have been horrible.

Again it seems like your experiences in accessing live chat and getting refunds have not been recent. My experiences are from within the last few weeks. I'd be surprised if someone has had a great hassle free experience on obtaining a refund on a faulty game that wasn't no man's sky recently.
Search now it'll tell you to try again during opening hours.

Not to start an Xbox Vs thing..

But after I played Halo MCC I got on to MS support and they instantly refunded my money.

Only refund experience I've had and I was impressed.

All digital isn't Doom and gloom for me anyways.

OCD Guy

Search now it'll tell you to try again during opening hours.

I've tried, there is no way of connecting to live chat between the hours of 10:30 and 19:00 for me.

If I'm honest I don't think Playstation support have a special process in place just for me.

When I've made contact with them the initial support team on 0203 538 2665 and chosen option 2 for playstation network/account (now option 3 as PSVR is option 2) the customer service rep has no authority to issue a refund, all they can do is troubleshooting steps.

If the troubleshooting has failed to resolve the issue then they can escalate it. However at that point contact is then made via email, and the response rate is not very quick. Once contact is made you are then required to contact the publisher for support, and only once you have then exhuasted that avenue would they consider issuing a refund, but you would need to provide a reference number, and proof in writing.

If you then would like to make a complain calling the 0203 538 2665 number and speaking to a customer service rep, all they can do is request a call back within 48 hours from a "supervisor" who again assure me that they are unable to issue refunds either. From the point your issue is "escalated" no one is able to do anything on the playstation support team, all they can do is assure you you'll hear from them soon, or they can "re-escalate it".

I would seriously question the authenticity of anyone that claims they recently obtained a hassle free refund from the initial support team without an escalation, as I don't believe they're making up new policies on my behalf, as I've spoken to various members of the support in the hope I get through to someone more helpful.

Lastly with regards to the live chat, it was available, I accessed it before. But as I said as far as I'm concerned it no longer exists for the UK. If anyone would like to provide proof when they're next open I'd love to see it.

Also for anyone doubting the validity of my claims, and timeframe I'll gladly post screenshots of all the contact I've had, and proof of the steps I've utlined.

Zemm

At least this thread reminded me to turn off auto renew on PS+ so they can't charge me next month, so thanks for that. I've never had to deal with their support and really don't want to in the future.

JP

I've tried, there is no way of connecting to live chat between the hours of 10:30 and 19:00 for me.

If I'm honest I don't think Playstation support have a special process in place just for me.

When I've made contact with them the initial support team on 0203 538 2665 and chosen option 2 for playstation network/account (now option 3 as PSVR is option 2) the customer service rep has no authority to issue a refund, all they can do is troubleshooting steps.

If the troubleshooting has failed to resolve the issue then they can escalate it. However at that point contact is then made via email, and the response rate is not very quick.

If you then would like to make a complain calling the 0203 538 2665 number and speaking to a customer service rep, all they can do is request a call back within 48 hours from a "supervisor" who again assure me that they are unable to issue refunds either.

I would seriously question the authenticity of anyone that claims they recently obtained a hassle free refund from the initial support team without an escalation, as I don't believe they're making up new policies on my behalf, as I've spoken to various members of the support in the hope I get through to someone more helpful.

Lastly with regards to the live chat, it was available, I accessed it before. But as I said as far as I'm concerned it no longer exists for the UK. If anyone would like to provide proof when they're next open I'd love to see it.
Why would you question my "authenticity"? Have I ever said anything that would suggest that I would be anything but honest in what I'm saying? What benefit could I have in saying something that isn't entirely authentic?

Jesus, you try to help someone.

OCD Guy

Why would you question my "authenticity"? Have I ever said anything that would suggest that I would be anything but honest in what I'm saying? What benefit could I have in saying something that isn't entirely authentic?

Jesus, you try to help someone.

Sorry that wasn't directed at you, the key word was "recently".

You stated that you obtained refunds within the last 12 months, I don't doubt that, same as I don't doubt you accessed live chat either, but you mention it was a couple of months ago that you accessed it. I'm not saying it's never been a thing in the UK as I've used it myself. But it's no longer appearing as of last week during their opening hours. So It's one of two things, I'm blocked, or it doesn't exist. I don't think I'm blocked as the issue is it's not appearing in the first place, so its not as though I'm entering my psn id etc.

My comment was aimed at anyone that would claim they obtained one recently due to the process in place. You;ve explicitly stated that refunds and live chat were accessed months ago. I meant I'd be doubtful of anyone that claimed to have had a hassle free process recently due to the process in place.

To give a crappy analogy of what I meant by "question the authenticity of anyone that claims they RECENTLY..." would be like the guy that mentioned pre-orders in the UK aren't charged at the point of pre-ordering. That's no longer a thing, so I certainly wouldn't believe someone that came in the thread and said they didn't have to pay recently, the same way I wouldn't believe someone that claimed that playstation phone support issued a hassle free refund recently, as they have a process in place that needs to be followed.

Don't lump Microsoft in on this. I'm all for pointing out shitty consumer practices, but their policy clearly states that all preorders can be refunded at any time. I've cancelled multiple preorders with no issue.
Yeah, but what if the game is utter garbage? Or doesn't work.

I have no guarantees of getting my money back. So I just won't do it.

TheYanger

They'll refund it for those reasons too as long as you're not constantly abusing it.
Nice try to try and project though? Like, MS has problems but their CS isn't one of them. Either way, even if you were right (as noted, you're not), you're literally going "Yeah Sony's is legitimately awful, but MS' is a lot better but still not amazing!"....k?

Durante

There's some talk in this thread about Origin's refund policy being better than Steam's. I never really used the former (the refunds, I have a few games on Origin) so that got me curious and I looked into it. As far as I can tell, it's not really better -- it's a different trade-off. You only get 1 week instead of 2 as your refund window, but in return there doesn't seem to be a playtime limit.

Anyway, clearly both are in a completely different dimension compared to the Sony policy which seems to boil down to "you get one refund, maybe, and then we don't talk to you anymore".

I refunded both the MCC and Destiny with no issues on Xbox live. If the game is broken in some way they will refund you. If you just don't like the game that you bought then you're most likely SOL, but not always. Microsoft also does these one time courtesy refunds for those situations when what you bought was not at all what you were expecting. That's the same as retail in the US though. If the games opened it can't be returned. Only exchanged.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Kai Ozu

Everything about digital purchase on Playstation is anti consumer, being locked to 1 system to play games offline on PS4 sucks too.

JP

Not had this before, just "bought" the World of Final Fantasy demo (UK) and as well as the standard emails you get when buying stuff I got this one which is new to me.
Current Wallet Amount*: ******

*This wallet amount is current as of the date and time of this transaction.
This is not a VAT/GST invoice. Total: £0.00

At the time of making your purchase, you asked us to provide you with immediate access to your purchase and confirmed your understanding that this means:

(i) for digital content (like a game or add-on) you will not have a “cooling off period” during which you can cancel your purchase; and

(ii) for a service (like a PlayStation®Plus subscription) you can cancel this service within 14 days from the date of purchase but you will not get a full refund as we will make a deduction for the use you have had of the service. To cancel visit http://eu.playstation.com/legal/cancel

That link takes you through to this information, I've highlighted the non-title text...

Games, game add-ons, season passes, in-game consumables and PlayStation® Video titles
You can cancel a digital content purchase within 14 days from the date of transaction, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming it.

Digital content that you have started downloading, streaming and in-game consumables that have been delivered, are not eligible for a refund unless the content is faulty.
You can cancel your purchase of a season pass within 14 days from the date of transaction, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming any digital content (e.g. game add-ons) included in the season pass.
If you purchase in-game consumables on the PlayStation®Store, they will be delivered when you next launch the game, until then you will have up to 14 days from the date of transaction to cancel. If you purchase in-game consumables during gameplay, they will be delivered immediately so you will not be able to cancel the purchase. In-game consumables are items such as virtual currencies (e.g. FIFA packs or GTA Cash Packs), boosts and other items that are depleted during gameplay.

Pre-Orders
You may cancel a pre-order of digital content at any time before the release date. If the release date has passed, you can still change your mind and request a refund up to 14 days after payment was taken for the pre-order, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming the content to your device. See more information about cancelling a pre-order here.

Subscription Services
You can cancel your purchase of a subscription service and request a refund to your PSN Wallet within 14 days from the initial transaction date, even after you start using the subscription. The refund will be reduced pro-rata for the period during which you used it. This may show as two transactions in your account transaction history: a refund to your wallet of the full amount originally paid and then a debit of a charge for the period of the service you received.
If you take advantage of a free trial when you sign up to a service, the 14 day cancellation period will commence on the day we accept your order of the free trial and the duration of the free trial will be included in the 14 day period. For example, you sign up for a free trial which lasts 7 days and your wallet is debited for the subscription at the end of the trial, you will have 7 days after your wallet was debited to cancel.
Note: When you purchase a subscription service such as PlayStation®Plus, you agree to a rolling subscription with periodic billing (e.g. annual billing). You can stop making payments at any time by turning off [Auto-renewal] (click here for more information) but, beyond the initial 14 day cancellation period, you will not receive a refund for payments already made. When you turn off [Auto-renewal], your subscription will continue until the next payment is due, at which point it will end.

Wallet top ups
You cannot cancel a PSN Wallet top-up. When you ask us to top up your PSN Wallet using your credit / debit card, mobile phone, PayPal or other accepted payment method, we seek your consent to perform the top up immediately and, therefore, you cannot cancel the top up.
...there are other bits on the page but that's the main content.

This is the first time that I've had that email and I've gone through a few weeks of PlayStation Store emails.

Ludens

Banned
You may cancel a pre-order of digital content at any time before the release date. If the release date has passed, you can still change your mind and request a refund up to 14 days after payment was taken for the pre-order, provided that you have not started downloading or streaming the content to your device. See more information about cancelling a pre-order here.

Sadly Sony found a way of circumnavigating this, and it's releasing DLCs as updates to "unlock" the game on D1.
One example is Bloodborne DLC, included in the patch, so in that case when you automatically download the patch, you download the DLC itself too (on D1 you just activate it with a few kb download), so you can't ask for a refund 14 days later because you already downloaded the dlc in advance.

I know because a friend had a problem with the dlc (he couldn't access it), tried to refund it to purchase it later but Sony refused to give him a refund.

JP

Sadly Sony found a way of circumnavigating this, and it's releasing DLCs as updates to "unlock" the game on D1.
One example is Bloodborne DLC, included in the patch, so in that case when you automatically download the patch, you download the DLC itself too (on D1 you just activate it with a few kb download), so you can't ask for a refund 14 days later because you already downloaded the dlc in advance.

I know because a friend had a problem with the dlc (he couldn't access it), tried to refund it to purchase it later but Sony refused to give him a refund.
This is new this morning though, it wasn't active as of about 10.30 last night. If it's within the 14 days then they should be trying again now that this is active.

EDIT:
Just checking. it was 11.17 last night that I used the store.

I sent an email to various gaming news personalities see if anyone cares to cover it or at least start research. I feel that someone like Jason from kotaku might say it's not worth doing an in depth investigation over since it's within their rights, but maybe another of the groups can address it as its still fairly scummy

Top Bottom