• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony seems to be heading all-in on anti-consumer practices.

Kagey K

Banned
But this thread about Sony being anti consumer and if gamers who are the primary consumer of Sony's gaming products, be it devices or software, are getting what they need from Sony then why is it being considered anti consumer of everyone else does the same. I am not saying that you are the one saying this but in general. Also Sony has not forced anyone to buy digital and be locked to it. Majority of the high profile games have both physical and digital versions available and people can buy physical and then resell it or trade it in when done. I myself always get the physical version of the game and then trade it if I didn't like it as much to replay later.

I get that some of the business decisions that Sony has taken are not in favor of consumers but then they are a business and would want to do things that make them more profit than before. The amount of gamers who feel or are impacted by these decisions seem to be far in the extreme minority due to which Sony's business has not been impacted much and they still doing good. If they really go super anti consumer in ways which would impact majority of gamers then gamers will surely put them in their place just like how they did to MS with their Xbox One shenanigans during launch.
It’s like you read the first couple posts and none of the posts in between. (I’m giving you credit there. I don’t think you even read that)

Last edited:
I never said Sony was alone in this. I said that gaming consumers don't care about their consumer rights. It's true about digital movies too but I have to give the movie industry some credit. If you buy physical you get a Blu Ray, a DVD AND a digital code and further, you can watch those movies (physical and digital) on many different devices.

So yeah, a little credit where it's due. Why don't you get a digital code when a buy a physical copy of a game?

Responding again since you edited your post with additional content. I am not very knowledgeable about the digital laws and also never have bought a BD and got a digital code with it. Tell me how the security is implemented for this that the digital code is being used only by the person who bought the BD/DVD? Is it possible that I buy the BD and watch using that and give the digital code to my brother who lives across the country so that he can download and watch it?

It’s like you read the first couple posts and none of the posts in between. (I’m giving you credit there. I don’t think you even read that)

No I didn't. I made a separate post which was meant as a response to the original post and expected topic creator to respond with his/her opinion on that. Since someone else responded to my post I indulged in a discussion with them.

Zog

Banned
Responding again since you edited your post with additional content. I am not very knowledgeable about the digital laws and also never have bought a BD and got a digital code with it. Tell me how the security is implemented for this that the digital code is being used only by the person who bought the BD/DVD? Is it possible that I buy the BD and watch using that and give the digital code to my brother who lives across the country so that he can download and watch it?
No security, in fact I think there was a thread on here of people giving away the digital codes for the Blu Rays they bought. So once again I ask, why don't physical buyers get a digital code with games?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I’m sure you are just as unbiased.

You certainly proved that right at the top of page 2.

We should definately take your word over his when criticizing PlayStation.

Look fella lets be real here

When it comes to playstation do we really need to listen to certain xbox fanboys piece of opinion here?

You understand what im saying right?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How ironic that they would be okay with a gaming future where you give money to something you will never own, while never being compensated for the data that is mined from you. and selling to their (Google's) partners,
Out of sight, out of mind. Since Google does this on the back end, people don't care about curated spammy emails.

It's like Amazon vs other big box stores.

Walmart, Home Depot and Best Buy want to open a store in small town USA, and locals all go mental as Bob's hardware store and Greg's grocery store are bound for bankruptcy. Oh shit, there's that asshole big Walmart logo and that huge parking lot getting the customers. Bunch of corporate money mongerers.

But, hey Amazon sure is awesome isn't it? A goods seller right up there with the biggest, but they don't have stores. It's all hidden stuff in huge fulfillment warehouses in industrial areas only in certain cities. Out of sight. So not only is Bob's store in trouble, but now Sears, JC Penney and other big stores are too. And hey, as long as Amazon delivers the package to my front door, it's better for my lazy ass since I don't have to drive to buy it.

Kagey K

Banned
Are you xbox fanboys aswell thats why youre defending him?
Nope. I just found your narrative very interesting.

A statement claiming there are arstofurers for Xbox, followed by an US at Playstation feel.

It was just a bit hypocritical I might say.

Last edited:
No security, in fact I think there was a thread on here of people giving away the digital codes for the Blu Rays they bought. So once again I ask, why don't physical buyers get a digital code with games?

I believe it would be for the very same security (or rather lack of) reason you mentioned. They don't want to lose sale of a game just because someone used a digital code of someone else's purchase. Not sure why or how movie industry is doing it but whats to stop people from selling their digital or physical copies and still being able to own the game (in the other format) if game industry starts to give digital free with physical? Also even though movies and games can be in physical or digital format, games are interactive while movies are not.

Zog

Banned
I believe it would be for the very same security (or rather lack of) reason you mentioned. They don't want to lose sale of a game just because someone used a digital code of someone else's purchase. Not sure why or how movie industry is doing it but whats to stop people from selling their digital or physical copies and still being able to own the game (in the other format) if game industry starts to give digital free with physical? Also even though movies and games can be in physical or digital format, games are interactive while movies are not.
If the movie industry can give you three copies of a movie for a single price (which is usually less than $30) then why can't the game industry give you two copies for a single price?

Just something to think about when comparing movies to games. Oh and with CD's, I buy a CD and then use iTunes to rip the CD for use on other devices. The music industry doesn't seem too upset about it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I would think it is partially due to the fact that gaming has no way to earn back the revenue for budgets before physical sales, like the movie industry with DVD/Bluray, after the major titles hit the theater first. There are no gaming theater ticket sales. Just a guess of course.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Nope. I just found your narrative very interesting.

A statement claiming there are arstofurers for Xbox, followed by an US at Playstation feel.

It was just a bit hypocritical I might say.

What naratives?

This Kain guy been proven to be shitting on ps and ps fans for numerous times yet i never saw you criticizing him on the contrary you seems to embrace this type of behaviour

stop pretending youre on the higher moral ground cos youre not

Last edited:
If the movie industry can give you three copies of a movie for a single price (which is usually less than $30) then why can't the game industry give you two copies for a single price?

Just something to think about when comparing movies to games. Oh and with CD's, I buy a CD and then use iTunes to rip the CD for use on other devices. The music industry doesn't seem too upset about it.

You are comparing movies and games as being the same thing which they are not. As DeepEnigma DeepEnigma has pointed out that movies have multiple channels to earn money whereas games have only one. Just because music, movies and games are available digitally does not make them same and they will not follow the same business practice.

Kagey K

Banned
What naratives?

This Kain guy been proven to be shitting on ps and ps fans for numerous times yet i never saw you criticizing him on the contrary you seems to embrace this type of behaviour

stop pretending youre on the higher moral ground cos youre not
No there’s no moral ground.

Just facts.

And I’m reLly bored of the entire conversation. Let’s just go with that.

Zog

Banned
You are comparing movies and games as being the same thing which they are not. As DeepEnigma DeepEnigma has pointed out that movies have multiple channels to earn money whereas games have only one. Just because music, movies and games are available digitally does not make them same and they will not follow the same business practice.
Let's not forget about the other ways the game industry makes money like DLC, Season Passes, MTX's, Loot Boxes. Well whatever, enjoy the future of gaming.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Probably because gaming's main source of revenue is that actual game. If it gets pirated too much, or too many free copies passed around, sales go down the toilet. Gaming is more social so I can see websites and forums where gamers are passing around free copies to everyone. The counter though is that popular F2P games can make a ton by giving away games hoping they do microtrans. So who cares if a microtrans heavy $60 game gets circulated...... it has chance to make it all back too.

Movies make money at the box office first too. DVD/BR sales are additional sales later.

For music, artists can still go on tour. From what some say, the real money is touring anyway unless it's a major musician that gets huge upfront contract deals.

For both movies and music, the price is much lower too. A CD was $15, movies around $20-30. Games have been around $60 US for decades. Many people would just buy their own CD/DVD, and these kinds of content people will rewatch. And songs can be replayed a millions times.. With games, most people will play it for a bit and dump it. So if there were "buy a game and get 2 more free copies" , I see lots of gamers being inclined to leech free copies instead of buying it themselves.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pretty sure MTX's are the main source of income for games these days.
Depends on the game.

A $60 game has a wholesale cost of around $40-45 after a store or MS/Sony/Steam take their cut.

Don't think that many games have the avg gamer spending that much in microtrans.

Zog

Banned
Depends on the game.

A $60 game has a wholesale cost of around $40-45 after a store or MS/Sony/Steam take their cut.

Don't think that many games have the avg gamer spending that much in microtrans.

We can agree that games also have another source of income outside of the initial sale.

Ar¢tos

I’m probably already on the list, but nobody cares.

Feel free to ignore who you want, but it doesn’t need a public announcement every time.

It’s literally only you who cares who is and isn’t on your ignore list.

Ps: I feel like putting people on ignore because they say things you don’t like is a cop out and takes away from the discussion here, but you do you.
So you think we need the same thread posted 3x every week?
With the same complaints over and over and new ones that are pure 1st World entitlement or "dear diary" material?
And the "post & bail" typical of people that create these threads shows they only want attention, not to even participate in the discussions they start.
I ignore those that make zero effort to understand the industry POV or legal difficulties tied to what they want and have no intention to even try. They just want it, and want it now.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
So you think we need the same thread posted 3x every week?
With the same complaints over and over and new ones that are pure 1st World entitlement or "dear diary" material?
And the "post & bail" typical of people that create these threads shows they only want attention, not to even participate in the discussions they start.
I ignore those that make zero effort to understand the industry POV or legal difficulties tied to what they want and have no intention to even try. They just want it, and want it now.
I don’t think shit , I also don’t announce it to everyone.

If you want or choose to ignore someone, go ahead and do it.

I’m not your mom or dad.

Its the announcing it to the forum, that is a bit much, and it was the second time today I saw you do it.

The ignore button is a feature, not a weapon.

Ar¢tos

I don’t think shit , I also don’t announce it to everyone.

If you want or choose to ignore someone, go ahead and do it.

I’m not your mom or dad.

Its the announcing it to the forum, that is a bit much, and it was the second time today I saw you do it.

Feel free to ignore me so your sensitive eyes don't ever have to see when I ignore someone.

Kagey K

Banned
Feel free to ignore me so your sensitive eyes don't ever have to see when I ignore someone.
I see you took it a bit personal.

Don’t.

I love you and would offer you a the hug you need if I were there.

Internet hugs.

I don’t think you are as angry as you seem.

Klayzer

I think most of us here are already familiar with your post

dont think any of those are matters when it comes to playstation platform since theres no point adding advice to this disscusion from a haters perspective
You see the name and you already know what he's gonna post. Some butthurt anti-Sony agenda crap.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Out of sight, out of mind. Since Google does this on the back end, people don't care about curated spammy emails.

It's like Amazon vs other big box stores.

Walmart, Home Depot and Best Buy want to open a store in small town USA, and locals all go mental as Bob's hardware store and Greg's grocery store are bound for bankruptcy. Oh shit, there's that asshole big Walmart logo and that huge parking lot getting the customers. Bunch of corporate money mongerers.

But, hey Amazon sure is awesome isn't it? A goods seller right up there with the biggest, but they don't have stores. It's all hidden stuff in huge fulfillment warehouses in industrial areas only in certain cities. Out of sight. So not only is Bob's store in trouble, but now Sears, JC Penney and other big stores are too. And hey, as long as Amazon delivers the package to my front door, it's better for my lazy ass since I don't have to drive to buy it.

While true, for almost all of us in one form or another, the other things I touched on in my post still stand in reference to this thread I feel.

Last edited:
We can agree that games also have another source of income outside of the initial sale.

Do majority of big budget movies have multiple channels to earn money = Yes.
Do majority of big budget games have MTX = No.

Unless all games follow the same standard of making money, they can't follow the same standard of sales practice.

At least it gives the ignored users and other users information about what kind of behavior is being ignored by some/many users.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
They still have the momentum of "Xbox is bad", also, even thou Xbox One X is the greater console, most people still compares the base consoles, and PS4 still wins.

But yeah, they're becoming evil again. PS2 emulator under a paywall is bullshit. I really hope that they become third place on the next gen just to them look more to the consumers.

When companies become dominant market leaders they always become so shitty before getting humbled by competition. Hopefully that happens this coming gen.

Last edited:

Silent Duck

These thpe of threads in a nutshell...
2wtj2w.jpg

Then someone responds with.....
2wtj9t.jpg

Hmmmm... I just realized that I became part of the same vicious cycle.
*Hangs head and walks away*

Nintendo easily has the best exclusives, but I'll concede on the VR thing. I love VR, and only Sony is doing it. It's really amazing, though, that Sony has made no way to actually watch VR videos on the PS4 except through a third party app which is now requiring a subscription. Sony's media app, despite having a VR mode, does not actually do VR movies.

Past tense, maybe. Most Japanese developers are targeting the Switch now, with a lot of previously exclusive games being multiplatform on the Switch, but because it takes a year or longer for releases to make it out here, we haven't fully felt the effects of this. I think most Japanese releases these days is multiplat with the Switch. Fate/EXTELLA Link, Tales of Vesperia, My Hero Academia, Valkyria Chronicles 4, and so on.

I think Gun Gun Pixies was ported to the Switch and PC just so they could release it here. It was previously a Vita exclusive, but PQube (who are releasing the game here) got burned pretty god damned hard on Omega Labyrinth (Sony refused to allow it, just weeks before release). Similarly, Moero Chronicle just had a Switch version announced (it was previously a Vita/PC game that came out here as a PC game only) and a US released was announced almost simultaneously. Japanese developers - particularly of the fanservice variety - are abandoning Sony.

Fair enough. Personally, the Playstation is making great games less great, so when given the option, I'm buying them somewhere else that respects the wishes of the game creators. I've never been a fan of middle management taking creative control from the talent.

I was referring to AAA games. Nintendo's are not AAA, except for Zelda. It's a subjective thing whether you prefer Nintendo's or Sony's but budget-wise Sony's lineup is unrivaled. It is also the one with more variety. Things like Astro Bot, Dreams, The Last Guardian or Gravity Rush are unthinkable on any other system, for a bunch of reasons.

As for third party asian games, those are minor ones compared to the big titles like what Cygames has in the pipeline and multiplats like Final Fantasy, Nioh, etc. Sure, in Steam there are hundred asian games that will never make it to the console market but those are very little and rare games. The japanese developers of medium tier games are targeting the Switch because the local market is mostly portable and mobile. Home console falls very far behind.

I am not meaning that Playstation is perfect. The console is ugly and the hardware quality is poor but you hardly get more at that price point.

However, discussing games, I have to support them as long as they are taking risks nobody else does. Investing in new IPs and new technologies that don't even have the media approval (compare the media treatment toward VR and streaming. It's painful to watch)

Jubenhimer

Things seems questionable right now. But I'd say we should hold off until Sony reveals the PS5. Remember, the success they got from the PS1 and PS2 culminated into the arrogance they had going into the PS3. So if Sony pulls an Xbox One on us next gen, then we can really worry.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I hope next Xbox comes soon enough because Microsoft fanboys are going wild.

If you literally think this is wild, then imagine how it must've felt as an Xbox One owner this gen. I'm glad you didn't pick team green this gen, would've been legit concerned about your health.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Ignoring for 5 years of constant complaints from their loyal customers to improve thumbstick durability.
I don't see how his is true. The thumbstick covers were a launch issue that I've heard literally nothing about for years. I've put in hundreds of hours on my controllers without a sign of wear.

Top Bottom