• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Sending Out Invites for Firmware 6.10 Beta

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sony is preparing to launch the PS4’s next firmware update but before they do, it's got to go through a little bit of beta testing first before it's allowed to roll out to the general public.

Reports are suggesting that some PS4 players are being invited to test the upcoming 6.10 update and these might be the first people allowed to tweak and change their Online ID's. The email reads:

"Welcome to the PlayStation 4 System Software 6.10 change online ID Preview!

"Congratulations! You've been selected to help us test features of the System Software 6.10 update. Your participation in this programmes is extremely important to us and we look forward to hearing from you on our forums!"

There's more, but from then on its mostly details about keeping the details and specifics confidential
Based on what was mentioned previously this particular update will be available to some (but not all) players who are part of the PlayStation Preview Program and those who pre-registered as testers for previous PS4 system software betas.

If you're one of those lucky fellows, it might be worth double checking your emails and spam folders to see if you're one of the lucky few selected.

The last big update to the console was the 6.0 update and whilst it uncharacteristically didn't contain any sweeping changes or new features, we suspect it might have been laying a lot of the groundwork for the consoles PSN Name Change feature.

It's possible there could be other changes to the console, but in all likelyhood, the main feature PlayStation will be testing is going to be focussed on ID name changes.
More at the link
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/ga...ew-6-10-update-Sony-wants-YOU-to-beta-test-it

zulix

Neo Member
1540325957-kbleg2i.png
1540326421-fwp3soy.png
1540326464-jypmuom.png
1540326499-4sa8eon.png
1540326522-7kegih2.png
1540326530-coowx6q.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That seems like a huge number of disclaimers for stuff that they should have had sorted out by now. I'd normally say "well it's probably because it's just beta software" but I know Sony well enough to know this is 100% going into the final product.

NickFire

I sense a major disaster here with the changing of your online ID.
I don't usually worry too much about the beta warnings, but this one is a little bit concerning. If I lose access to progress or content for an old game no biggie. But if its a game in the current rotation, that would suck.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I hope thats not the only thing in the update, bout time we had something updated, I'd take a new Clock Font just update something.

DonF

I sense a major disaster here with the changing of your online ID.
they said that old games might have issues with online, but new games should work 100% and have 0 issues. its part of the newish sdk

Last edited:
I really would love to know what kind of mess is there that changing name might create problems in games.

I have a suspicion that it might be a case of someone making account name column primary key and now they are too afraid to touch it so instead they added an allias collumn and under the hood our account will be the same - just what is displayed will change.

Moneal

I really would love to know what kind of mess is there that changing name might create problems in games.

I have a suspicion that it might be a case of someone making account name column primary key and now they are too afraid to touch it so instead they added an allias collumn and under the hood our account will be the same - just what is displayed will change.
actually i think that is exactly what the problem is, also pretty sure some people that have had contact with sony have said the same. the problem with just changing what is displayed, is that every game deals with displaying the name their own way. So every game that is already out would have to change it if they added a column, as would everything going forward.

ILLtown

Who the fuck would use that name change feature with all of those caveats? It better not be like that when it goes public.

Blam

That seems like a huge number of disclaimers for stuff that they should have had sorted out by now. I'd normally say "well it's probably because it's just beta software" but I know Sony well enough to know this is 100% going into the final product.
They wouldn't be able to sort it out lol they hardcoded your current id as the one on their own database it seems and so did a bunch of fukin devs lmao.

Like I said last time.

Whomever made this online database should have seriously considered a GUID like xbox and not your actual username.

Last edited:

Fbh

This is definitely the one Ps4 feature so far that will need extensive beta testing.

With all of those warnings I'd only jump in if my earlier username was absolutely horrible. There needs to be an extensive list of what content actually breaks, the way it's written now it sounds like pretty much anything could stop working and they would be like "well the warning said you could lose access to content"

Last edited:

Petrae

The complaining from those who go through with the ID change and lose stuff they paid for, despite Sony warning them that it might happen, will be glorious.

If you decide to be a guinea pig, despite the disclaimer and warnings, some of the blame winds up on you for going through with it.

bitbydeath

Sounds awful.
It sounds safer to create a brand new account than trying to rename one.
On top of potentially losing everything your old ID may still show up in some games too.

Sony shouldn't release this.

TacosNSalsa

I got in and I'm scared to use it..lol.. I don't have a ton of stuff but I'd be beyond pissed if I lost access to any of it because of this . I also have no interest in changing my name

Last edited:

FranXico

Sounds awful.
It sounds safer to create a brand new account than trying to rename one.
On top of potentially losing everything your old ID may still show up in some games too.

Sony shouldn't release this.

They really didn't prepare for this fix for long enough. You would think there was some database migration going on behind the scenes since the beginning of the generation... but if anything, Sony are predictably clumsy.

FranXico

Like I said last time.

Whomever made this online database should have seriously considered a GUID like xbox and not your actual username.
That's the first rule in database design! Never expose your primary key.

Oh Sony FFS.

Hopefully they start clamping down on some of the psn Id names ...its all well and good to have names like butzsmasha6969 but from playing cod this past week I have seen so many people with variations of niggaa/jewzz/hitla in their gamertag....I think one I saw was called nigger in chains in some phonetic way.

Tarkus98

Sounds like “the best time” to cut and run with this would be when PS5 releases - new console, new user name.
Certainly many of the warnings and disclaimers should be worked out when it’s rolled out after the beta testing..... right? Right?
Hopefully they properly groom and prepare their customer service reps to correctly address any lost “paid for” items that slip through the cracks as a result for the initially horribly designed database.
As for myself, there is no way I’d risk losing anything that I had paid for and then having to deal with their generally horrendous CS support.
I do however give Sony major props for having the balls to finally go through with this - damn the torpedoes!

TimFL

People overexaggerate this. You‘re not going to lose your games or DLC, what you may potentially lose (the way I understand it):
- Savegame data (because they seem to be tied your username) which also covers the trophy progress bulletpoint (because PSN trophies have no tracker, devs have to keep track of the progress themselves, they only unlock the trophy once criteria is met) and MP progress for games that use your PSN handle to authenticate you
- IG currency or unlocks/addons for server-sided games that have data tied to PSN handles (I‘d wager any game that does not require another account login to tie content to)

The list is probably scary cause they have to account for edge cases and cover their bases.

I actually feel a little bad for Sony with this one. Everybody knew their database schema was fucked, but everyone kept demanding to be able to change their user ID. Sony is trying to allow it, but the database is apparently so screwed up since inception, that it definitely won't be a seamless process for many.

I'd like to know who was the original person that was responsible for this way back when - I bet we'd learn that they gave the task to some random person, as no database admin in the world would have created this the way it apparently was.

Thankfully, I'm perfectly fine with my PSN ID, but even if I wasn't, I wouldn't risk changing it personally.

Rayderism

Being that I'm 100% digital on PS4 and Vita, and like 50/50 on the PS3, there's not a chance in hell that I'd even attempt to change my PSN ID under those conditions. Good thing I'm happy with my PSN name and have no intention of changing it.

I guess it could work well enough for people who are all physical and bought no DLC, but I don't think that applies to a whole lot of people.

Last edited:

TFGB

I downloaded the beta yesterday and almost changed my PSN ID just to test how it would affect some software, and I was hoping that I could revert back to my current PSN ID simply via the system software but you can’t....it has to be done via customer support.

FranXico

I downloaded the beta yesterday and almost changed my PSN ID just to test how it would affect some software, and I was hoping that I could revert back to my current PSN ID simply via the system software but you can’t....it has to be done via customer support.
Did you encounter any issues? Which games did the ID change break?

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Sound like normal disclaimers because of 3rd party online services connected to your psn, like EA account, etc.
Destiny is one of the games that will always show your original id in-game.
The name change should move all bought items/dlc to the new name, but there are some dlc that are 3rd party account tied, like some shaders in Destiny 1. I'm sure with some more Time Sony will eventually fix those things.

TFGB

Did you encounter any issues? Which games did the ID change break?
I almost changed my ID. If I could have done a simple ID reset by the system software then I may have tried it, but I can't be arsed with faffing around getting in touch with customer support for something that really shouldn't require human interaction.

Toe-Knee

I almost changed my ID. If I could have done a simple ID reset by the system software then I may have tried it, but I can't be arsed with faffing around getting in touch with customer support for something that really shouldn't require human interaction.
You don't have to contact them. It's just an online form

Dibils2k

jesus... all those potential errors, seems like a desperation move just to shut people up about requesting this lol

i dont think i am gonna risk changing from 'Dibils89' to 'Dibils' :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Sony should either delay this firmware to at least 2020 and fix all its issues or never release it. Otherwise the backlash they will receive will be of catastrophical levels.Especially so close to PS5's release.

Ar¢tos

Sony should either delay this firmware to at least 2020 and fix all its issues or never release it. Otherwise the backlash they will receive will be of catastrophical levels.Especially so close to PS5's release.
These issues are related to games released prior to the name change. Delaying the firmware wouldn't change anything. Things that are outside of Sony domain, Sony can't change (example: in game currency tied to EA account instead of Sony account on a game made before the name change SDK )

sublimit

Banned
These issues are related to games released prior to the name change. Delaying the firmware wouldn't change anything. Things that are outside of Sony domain, Sony can't change (example: in game currency tied to EA account instead of Sony account on a game made before the name change SDK )
So how come those issues don't exist on Xbox live if someone changes their username?

Last edited:
Top Bottom