• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sets 150m sales target for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mj1108

Oh Sony....

set_of_3_wish_hope_dream.jpg

Nocebo said:
:lol
OK the wii is (correctly if I'm wrong) as I understand it one of the best selling home consoles ever, and will reach 150 mill in 6 years selling at current rate as someone caculated earlier. I doubt the wii will continue selling like this, but aside from that the wii has a massive head-start too. If even the wii will barely reach 150 mill in 8 years how in the hell is the ps3 going to? It'll have to suddenly become the best selling console of all time or something, even better than the wii and that with nearly zero casual gamer appeal.

What head start? I wanna hear this.

Sony did say the PS3 is "futureproof", maybe this 150M milestone is 30 years into its lifespan. lololololol.
i know im not funny lol

Nocebo

TwinIonEngines said:
He means with respect to their current LTDs. Wii doesn't need to sell as many more units as the PS3 does to reach 150 million.
Yeah exactly, I guess what I said was a little weird. I mean when counting from today the wii has a headstart on ps3 to reach 150m in 8 years (its current ltd is over twice as much as ps3). I'm comparing to wii to see what ps3's sales would have to be like to reach that 150m goal.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
In order to do this, Sony would essentially have to more than double their sales rate overnight, and then keep that consistent for the next seven and a half years.

In other words... THIS...

...would be an accurate assessment of what would need to happen.

HEY!!!

They can do it!

All they have to do is start giveing them out for free at some point in their 10 year plain. . . .thats what it would take to get me in line.

kevm3

It's hard to believe Sony doesn't have an RPG in the works with some of the amazing fantasy they've been able to conjure up.

felipeko

RICH UNCLE PENNYBAGS said:
Do you think most people even read gaming sites, let alone look at sales charts?
Do YOU look at sales charts?

Playstation is no huge no more (altough i would say it still big). Wii is.

felipeko said:
Do YOU look at sales charts?

Playstation is no huge no more (altough i would say it still big). Wii is.
Just because a lot of people haven't made the jump yet doesn't mean the Playstation brand has lost its value, in other words.

If opinions on the Internet were an accurate gauge, Okami would have been one of the most successful PS2 games, but in reality... not so much.

felipeko

Just because a lot of people haven't made the jump yet doesn't mean the Playstation brand has lost its value, in other words.

If opinions on the Internet were an accurate gauge, Okami would have been one of the most successful PS2 games, but in reality... not so much.
Point is: i'm not talking about opinions. I'm talking about sales.

felipeko said:
Point is: i'm not talking about opinions. I'm talking about sales.
Yeah, okay, but you replied to "the Sony Playstation brand is still huge" with "but the PS3 hasn't sold as much as other consoles." Sales don't accurately explain it if we assume a lot of casual gamers haven't gone next-gen yet (a reasonable assumption considering how many PS2s are still selling)

e: Not to suggest that 150m isn't a bit ambitious.

This reminds me of a quote from the movie Bad Santa:

"Why don't you wish in one hand, and shit in the other. See which one fills up first."

Tobor

Your rant would make more sense if Nintendo wasn't selling close to 2 million Wii's a month.

seat

Way to go out on a limb, Kaz. In nine years everyone will have forgotten about this unrealized goal, and Hirai will probably be working for some other company.

Tobor said:
Your rant would make more sense if Nintendo wasn't selling close to 2 million Wii's a month.
But like I said, the PS2 and X360 are still selling at around the same level. There are plenty of people from various demographics who would like to own a PS3 but haven't bought one yet for whatever reason.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sales don't accurately explain it if we assume a lot of casual gamers haven't gone next-gen yet (a reasonable assumption considering how many PS2s are still selling)

e: Not to suggest that 150m isn't a bit ambitious.

I don't know how reasonable that is, honestly.

camineet

Banned
I'd rather see a graphics break-through with PS4 GPU 150x more powerful than PS3 RSX GPU.

:lol

Sony said PS2 had 300x the graphics performance of PS1, so half that leap from PS3 to PS4 shouldn't be too difficult, amirite :lol :lol

Sadist

But like I said, the PS2 and X360 are still selling at around the same level. There are plenty of people from various demographics who would like to own a PS3 but haven't bought one yet for whatever reason.
Not everyone is loyal to a certain brand. Get over it.

schuelma said:
Well admittedly I'm working a bit backwards... trying to find data that supports my personal experience.

And maybe my analysis is tinged with a touch of wishful thinking. :lol

Sadist said:
Not everyone is loyal to a certain brand. Get over it.
You honestly don't think Sony would move a lot of PS3s at a lower price point? Give it some time and we'll see.

ascii42

schuelma said:
How the hell is it not reasonable? Have you noticed the fact that the PS2 still sells? A lot of these sales are presumably casuals just now entering the last generation.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm bumping this thread in eight years.
You think it's lollerskates now... just imagine how funny it will be then. You may not survive.

Tobor

Ahh, of course. "Various" people haven't bought a PS3 for "whatever" reason. I see your point now.

Well admittedly I'm working a bit backwards... trying to find data that supports my personal experience.

And maybe my analysis is tinged with a touch of wishful thinking. :lol

You honestly don't think Sony would move a lot of PS3s at a lower price point? Give it some time and we'll see.

I'd say it's a lot more than a tinge.

Tobor said:
Ahh, of course. "Various" people haven't bought a PS3 for "whatever" reason. I see your point now.
I don't want to get into specifics about the demographics because I don't want to step on anyone's toes but "whatever reason" is pretty much money. Four hundred bucks isn't that cheap.

schuelma

ascii42 said:
How the hell is it not reasonable? Have you noticed the fact that the PS2 still sells? A lot of these sales are presumably casuals just now entering the last generation.

It is selling ok in N.A, but its still fallen off from last year. We don't have data for Europe, but it sells like shit in Japan now.

I find it a lot more reasonable to assume that a lot of those PS2 owners are upgrading to the console that is currently selling about 1.5M a month.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I don't want to get into specifics about the demographics because I don't want to step on anyone's toes but "whatever reason" is pretty much money. Four hundred bucks isn't that cheap.

There are cheaper consoles for the price-conscious. Many people have already bought them. This is part of why Kaz's quotes are funny.

schuelma said:
It is selling ok in N.A, but its still fallen off from last year. We don't have data for Europe, but it sells like shit in Japan now.

I find it a lot more reasonable to assume that a lot of those PS2 owners are upgrading to the console that is currently selling about 1.5M a month.
If I'm not mistaken, last month more PS2s than X360s were sold. In Japan the PS3 already leads the X360. The PS3 isn't gonna overtake the Wii but it has a definite opportunity to be at least competitive with the X360.

schuelma

If I'm not mistaken, last month more PS2s than X360s were sold. In Japan the PS3 already leads the X360. The PS3 isn't gonna overtake the Wii but it has a definite opportunity to be at least competitive with the X360.

What does any of this have to do with the argument at hand?

TAJ said:
There are cheaper consoles for the price-conscious. Many people have already bought them. This is part of why Kaz's quotes are funny.
Yeah but lots of price-conscious gamers ain't trying to play their games with no dildo. :lol

Tobor

By the time the price drops to $199, it will be a moot point. And you don't need to dance around it. I think we all understand that poor people can't afford $400.

Yeah but lots of price-conscious gamers ain't trying to play their games with no dildo. :lol

So I don't need to waste any more time discussing this with you then. Got it.

llTll

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
They've been in this business long enough to know what it will take to get to 100M units WW, let alone 150M.

$299 must be a lot closer than anyone believes at this point.

I agree on they been in the in business for long time

i dont agree on they know "what it will take to get 100M "

you and i dont agree on 300$ price sooner than anyone believe. but you just said it anyway

TAJ

Note that I said "consoles" and not "console". 360 doesn't have a waggle wand. Neither does PS2.

Private Hoffman said:
Once the PS3 reaches mainstream prices, I really do see it taking off.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect PS1/2 level success.
Without third party exclusives, no price advantage over 360 and with Nintendo selling gangbusters that's very hard to believe. The market would have to double from last gen for that to happen.

ascii42

schuelma said:

Okay, then I find it reasonable not to completely ignore the couple hundred thousand people per month who are just now becoming PS2 owners, and having just finally gotten around to purchasing a $129 system, are not looking to upgrade to a system that costs roughly twice as much anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom