• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Shutting Down a Few Game Servers (Sports Champions/Modnation Vita/Kill Strain)

Tapejara

Did a search and couldn't find anything:

As of 1 July 2017 you will no longer be able to use the online features of the following games:

PS3

High Velocity Bowling
Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest
Sports Champions
Sports Champions 2

PS Vita

Modnation Racers: Road Trip

PS4

Kill Strain

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/legal/gameservers/

Kill Strain is rather recent game, which is a bit disappointing. I don't know if any of these games really have multiplayer modes people enjoyed, but if you liked them or are a trophy hunter you have about two and a half months left to play them.

So even paying for PS+ being a requirement for online play doesn't guarantee titles won't be deactivated on ps4.

Awesome. I've got no interest in Kill strain at all, but that's a poor precedent to set, even if the playerbase is low. Is there a different reason that they're doing this?

Tapejara

Does that mean those trophies would still be good after the servers get shut down?

No, the platinum will be unachievable once the server closes. The game has multiplayer trophies, but they're all ad-hoc only can still be earned offline. However, the trophies tied to levels, XP and creation uploads/downloads will be rendered unachievable, because those trophies are dependent on other people downloading your creations.

Covfan

Loved playing Sport Champions when it first came out with Playstation Move, would have loved a PS4 version.

So even paying for PS+ being a requirement for online play doesn't guarantee titles won't be deactivated on ps4.

Awesome. I've got no interest in Kill strain at all, but that's a poor precedent to set, even if the playerbase is low. Is there a different reason that they're doing this?
It sucks that a core component of a game can be ripped away and as you said we're paying for online. I was super bummed when Devil's Third went offline, I loved the multiplayer. It's like games can expire.

I'm trying to think of what online functions Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest, Sports Champions and Sports Champions 2 even have? Leaderboards?

test_account

XP-39C²
No, the platinum will be unachievable once the server closes. The game has multiplayer trophies, but they're all ad-hoc only can still be earned offline. However, the trophies tied to levels, XP and creation uploads/downloads will be rendered unachievable, because those trophies are dependent on other people downloading your creations.
True, but to be fair, some of the trophies would be pretty much impossible to get at this point even if the servers were still up. Getting 50k Create XP when basically no one is playing the game anymore is virtually impossible from what i know. I remember playing the PS3 version and it had a similar trophy like this. I had to rely on interacting with other people in the hub and "trade" views/ratings/downloads. It was pretty hard to get this without this because there were so many creations that "drowned".

Vashetti

Banned
True, but to be fair, some of the trophies would be pretty much impossible to get at this point even if the servers were still up. Getting 50k Create XP when basically no one is playing the game anymore is virtually impossible from what i know. I remember playing the PS3 version and it had a similar trophy like this. I had to rely on interacting with other people in the hub and "trade" views/downloads. It was pretty hard to get this without this because there were so many creations that "drowned".

People on PSNProfiles and PlaystationTrophies.org do boosting sessions for this very reason.

Orbis

Forgot Modnation existed on Vita, I had a lot of fun with it despite some tracks running at what felt like 15fps.

test_account

XP-39C²
People on PSNProfiles and PlaystationTrophies.org do boosting sessions for this very reason.
True, but at this point in time, i think you'd have an incredible hard time finding enough people interesting in boosting trophies for this game. 50k Create XP is no walk in the park. Not sure how long i used on it on the PS3 version, but probably at least a month, and that was with an active community.

Tapejara

True, but to be fair, some of the trophies would be pretty much impossible to get at this point even if the servers were still up. Getting 50k Create XP when basically no one is playing the game anymore is virtually impossible from what i know. I remember playing the PS3 version and it had a similar trophy like this. I had to rely on interacting with other people in the hub and "trade" views/downloads. It was pretty hard to get this without this because there were so many creations that "drowned".

Yeah, it would probably take quite a while for people just starting. I took a look at PSNProfiles, and there are already people setting up boosting sessions to download each other's creations. That should be a helpful path for trophy hunters - I'm sure it'll be tedious as hell though.

Edit: I see you guys had this discussion above lol.

AAK

Sports Champions was an incredibly fun time. But I never played it online. Whatever happened to Zindagi Games?

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, it would probably take quite a while for people just starting. I took a look at PSNProfiles, and there are already people setting up boosting sessions to download each other's creations. That should be a helpful path for trophy hunters - I'm sure it'll be tedious as hell though.

Edit: I see you guys had this discussion above lol.
Yeah, i see that theres 2-3 gaming sessions entries on PSNProfiles right now regarding XP Create boosting (and some who wants the Ad-Hoc trophies). I hope for those people sake that they're not at 0XP hehe, otherwise it would take quite some time. I guess that its still possible, they do afterall have about 2.5 months to do it, but as you mention, it would be incredible boring to do this boost. It requires tons of creating, publishing and downloading. Getting one person to rate and download this several of times wont count, so one either need to find a lot of people wanting to do this, or perhaps do hundreds of creations.

Apdiddy

I'm one of those such people trying to boost online trophies for ModNation Racers: Road Trip before it shuts down.

On top of that, I think one of the trophies called "Top of the Ladder" is glitched and it's already gone -- even if you get to the top of a time trial leaderboard for a particular track, it won't unlock.

I wasn't aware Sports Champions 1 & 2 and Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest had online trophies -- it's possible to get the platinums but with additional Move controllers. I tried to join a Kill Strain match yesterday but got disconnected.

Top Bottom