• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sold PS5 in UK almost as many as all the other platforms combined (almost) in July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Godzilla Deal With It GIF

Pretty much the situation whenever stock comes in. I also see the Series winning some months when they have a better stocking situation.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
GG Sony! Absolutely flying!

Incredible month. I expect Ratchet to be number one in the charts for the next few weeks.

Elios83

Jim promised more units during summer and indeed it seems like restocks are getting more frequent.

damn, so PS5 alone sold almost as much as switch, switch lite, ps4, ps4 pro, xbox one s, xbox one x, xbox series s and x combined? theres not even that many new games at the moment. its selling solely on brand name alone.
For a new customer this is not true, not only there are some nice exclusives but PS5 offers so many graphical and qol upgrades compared to PS4 games that upgrading to the new console makes a lot of sense already.
When you get higher resolution, 30 vs 60fps, 1-2s loading times vs 30-40s, haptic feedback support and a console that doesn't sound like a hair dryer you have tons of reasons to upgrade even if the lineup of native titles is not mature yet.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
It's selling on legacy and the fact that people know it will deliver on games just like the PS4 and past gen PS consoles.

People are buying next gen games on PS5, but BC is also a big deal. PS4 sold an insane amount of software, so people will be more willing to upgrade, and on top of it new comers to the brand will be able to enjoy GOTG candidates like TLOU2 and God Of War with improved performance. Playstation's streak of 1st party hits is the tree that keeps on giving.

People are buying next gen games on PS5, but BC is also a big deal. PS4 sold an insane amount of software, so people will be more willing to upgrade, and on top of it new comers to the brand will be able to enjoy GOTG candidates like TLOU2 and God Of War with improved performance. Playstation's streak of 1st party hits is the tree that keeps on giving.
And that was always the plan. From PS2 onwards, the original goal was always to build on top of the existing software and hold on to customers. PS3 basically messed up "The Plan" because Cell didn't take over the world like they planned. And it took this long for Sony to get it back on track.

Bryank75

Banned
The key here is that they are selling almost as much as the other two combined.....

There is nearly a time anomaly when they go up for sale on sites... where somehow they sellout before they are even available.

I don't think Xbox have any problem selling Series X's but it's the Series S that seems to just linger in stock here in Europe, which MAY change around Christmas if parents go for the cheaper option in the absence of the other models.

We are nearing pre-Christmas shopping season and all the present buyers are now added to the pool of people that had been actively looking for a PS5 (other console) so it's gonna get crazy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As I told Dforce a week ago about system sales, you cant go by what you see on shelf. His theory is a system that is seen on shelf (Series S) will lead to more sales because what you dont see (online) means zero sales.

Goes to show online orders for PS5 zoomed past other consoles because I'm pretty sure stores arent setting up piles of boxes at store.

Console sales are so skewed to online orders fast, I bet most stores dont even bother putting any out. Walmart Canada had pieces of paper taped up to the glass shelf saying next gen consoles are sold online.

As I told Dforce a week ago about system sales, you cant go by what you see on shelf. His theory is a system that is seen on shelf (Series S) will lead to more sales because what you dont see (online) means zero sales.

Goes to show online orders for PS5 zoomed past other consoles because I'm pretty sure stores arent setting up piles of boxes at store.

Console sales are so skewed to online orders fast, I bet most stores dont even bother putting any out. Walmart Canada had pieces of paper taped up to the glass shelf saying next gen consoles are sold online.
The reason Series S is seen on shelves is because people aren't rushing to buy them. I have seen shops regularly doing small price drops or value added bundles like half price controller/game just to move stock of S.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The reason Series S is seen on shelves is because people aren't rushing to buy them. I have seen shops regularly doing small price drops or value added bundles like half price controller/game just to move stock of S.
I dont disagree.

But some people have a theory because some systems are seen at shelf thats why it'll win monthly sales contests. When in reality, next gen systems are so heavily skewed to online orders, it can win out no problem as stores seem happy to just ship it to people from their warehouse. As PS5 did.

Last edited:

Kerotan

This news is equivalent to water being wet... EU is Sony territory.
Yeah but the UK was an xbox stronghold for 10 years. A dominant win for PlayStation is an excellent result. Still though it doesn't mean much because the ps5 is stupidly under supplied compared to demand so we'll not know the true numbers it can do for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom