• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Spain talks PlayStation 4 [Yoshida: Better Visuals The "Gene" Of PlayStation]

Next gen I don't think we be seeing a big jump in power by anyone, both Sony and MS will try and get casuals, Big N have already move on and they can get casuals games easy

mrfolego

Banned
Replicant said:
There's a reason why they're called 'the casuals' and that's because they don't actually playing game that often. So what reason would there be for them to buy new console when they already have what they have now?
SELL AT A PROFIT

hamchan

With the direction they're going with Vita I highly doubt this. No way they're actually telling consumers "Look at our powerful tech" then immediately telling them "We're making games for women".

smurfx

get some go again
what is the point of releasing the ps4 if its not that much more powerful than the ps3? chasing the casual market and sacrificing your core market isn't a good idea and it will come back and bite you in the ass. nintendo chased that casual market and right now they are suddenly realizing that the core market is very important as casual gamers will dump you as soon as the next hot thing is out.

Kevin said:
Did somebody ring?

50500_332561550002_3894078_n.jpg
Someone called for us?

Replicant

Slime said:
I, for one, welcome our new Microsoft overlords.

You mean the same Microsoft with only 3-4 first party IPs to the point that their E3 game winners are multiplatform games? No thx!

And I like Sony's diversity and offerings too.

I know this kind of argument goes over like a lead balloon on this forum, but how much more powerful can a video game system be than a little bit more powerful than a PS3? When it's connected to a television set that's limited to 1080p? When you've reached 1080p and 60fps, what's left to do?

I'm sure the PC gamers can come up with a whole laundry list of irrelevant technical minutiae that the average person wouldn't even be able to notice, but it's not really going to make anyone run out and buy a PS4. Most gamers probably have their Xbox 360s and PS3s hooked up to HDTVs with the composite cables that came with the system.

If you can't see the diminishing returns, you're in the vast minority. At least you'll always have PC games.

Kevin

So Wii U to be more powerful?

On a serious note, this would be extremely disappointing to me. It already feels like PC gaming has been held back by consoles but if the next gen consoles end up not being much more powerful then the current gen which could be ten years old by the time the new consoles actually come out then... well you get my drift.

I don't think this will happen though. At least I hope not. Otherwise we will be looking at the same graphics technology many years into the future that we currently have today.

Yeah Sony. FUCK YOU. You know targeted at casuals doesn't even bother me that much. But not much more powerful than the PS3?

FUCK YOU SO HARD IN THE ASS!

Man

Isn't this a Sony Spain or Portugal dude? He prob knows less than your hardcore gaf member.

Vita flies right in the face of that theory.

antonz

Sony hinted at this kind of move strongly when they said the days of R&Ding exotic architecture etc was over and that they would use traditional parts.

People want to believe Sony wants to take huge loses. The reality is they dont but they were forced to with the PS3 by poor oversight

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This was briefly discussed in the earlier thread. Given how far away the PS4 must be (18 months at least), I doubt he knows much if anything about it at all.

sleepykyo

smurfx said:
what is the point of releasing the ps4 if its not that much more powerful than the ps3? chasing the casual market and sacrificing your core market isn't a good idea and it will come back and bite you in the ass. nintendo chased that casual market and right now they are suddenly realizing that the core market is very important as casual gamers will dump you as soon as the next hot thing is out.

Couldn't it be possible to be more powerful than WiiU but not much more powerful than the PS3?

Gaborn

Kevin said:
So Wii U to be more powerful?

On a serious note, this would be extremely disappointing to me. It already feels like PC gaming has been held back by consoles but if the next gen consoles end up not being much more powerful then the current gen which could be ten years old by the time the new consoles actually come out then... well you get my drift.

I don't think this will happen though. At least I hope not. Otherwise we will be looking at the same graphics technology many years into the future that we currently have today.

LOL... no.

People are really ignoring history. Why is everyone acting like Sony is some bleeding edge technololgical giant? Look at the PS2, it was by FAR the weakest system. Playstation? Weaker than the N64 (though of course it used a superior medium for it's games).

The PS3 and 360 were both gigantic leaps technologically, and both very much in line with bleeding edge technology - and frankly I don't think that lends itself to another similar leap. When the PS3 especially was "future-proofed" (remember that?) it all but guaranteed either an unrealistically long life cycle or it guaranteed a considerably smaller technical leap. That just is the way it works to keep development costs for games halfway reasonable.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Nintendo Ate My Children said:
I know this kind of argument goes over like a lead balloon on this forum, but how much more powerful can a video game system be than a little bit more powerful than a PS3? When it's connected to a television set that's limited to 1080p? When you've reached 1080p and 60fps, what's left to do?

I'm sure the PC gamers can come up with a whole laundry list of irrelevant technical minutiae that the average person wouldn't even be able to notice, but it's not really going to make anyone run out and buy a PS4. Most gamers probably have their Xbox 360s and PS3s hooked up to HDTVs with the composite cables that came with the system.

If you can't see the diminishing returns, you're in the vast minority. At least you'll always have PC games.

How about they attempt to even reach the bolded natively? The current consoles can't even come close to this.

As for the rest of the post, you're nuts if you can't notice even the difference between Battlefield 3 PC and console. If you can't see what Epic was bringing with their latest engine or even Crytech 3.

Not even close to diminishing returns.

okenny

Banned
Patapwn said:
Are you talking about the Microsoft that showcased Kinect at their abomination of an E3 conference? Or do you mean another Microsoft?

Because I, for one, welcome our new Steam overlords.

Microsoft the software company that has driven DirectX tech on PC for years and understands software and the need to make sure the hardware can drive their future services.

My guess is that the next xbox will be the platform to introduce DirectX 12. I'm sure they won't skimp. I'm also heartened by the fact that MS isn't as directly tied to Xbox 360 hardware as other platform holders might be to theirs.

I hope Sony can step it up though I understand the potential compatibility with the CELL could be expensive if they use a more powerful processor; It'll piratically be a power7 processor.

Snipes424

Well if true I'm disappointed, but facts are facts and graphics =/= sales whatsoever. Just look at this gen, it goes Gaming PC > PS3 > 360 > wii for graphics. Take a look at that and then figure out which ones sold more, it's straight backwards.

Einbroch

Banned
What he meant:

We want the PS4 to be more innovative and to appeal to the widest audience possible. Of course the PS4 will be more powerful, but we want people to want our system because it's fun to play, not because it's a powerful machine.

hamchan

With the way Microsoft is heading with Kinect and Nintendo with WiiU, I predict the jump from PS3 to PS4 probably will be smaller than previous generational jumps but Sony will still have the strongest system tech wise compared to the other two.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Snipes424 said:
Well if true I'm disappointed, but facts are facts and graphics =/= sales whatsoever. Just look at this gen, it goes Gaming PC > PS3 > 360 > wii for graphics. Take a look at that and then figure out which ones sold more, it's straight backwards.

It's practically impossible to quantify how many "gaming PCs" are out there.

Loxley

We live in strange, strange times my friends.

Granted, after Sony decided to go with full on hi-tech overload with PS3 which forced them to give it that ludicrous price tag at launch, I can see why they would be a little afraid of trying to reach of the stars in terms of technical prowess anymore.

Granted I'm assuming that a large chunk of the PS3's cost was because of the blu-ray player at the time, but still :p

Fredescu

JaseC said:
It's practically impossible to quantify how many "gaming PCs" are out there.
Number of active Steam accounts isn't a bad start, and at 30 million it would put it at last place.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I think this means that like the VITA they've set up a price before they started building it. Like €399 at launch and built from there. Not like the PS3 and just kept on burning the R&D budget like crazy. Plus, they need to attract a larger base of buyers so that they can relive the glory days of "100 million consoles sold".

mrfolego

Banned
hamchan said:
With the way Microsoft is heading with Kinect and Nintendo with WiiU, I predict the jump from PS3 to PS4 probably will be smaller than previous generational jumps but Sony will still have the strongest system tech wise compared to the other two.
You mean strongest potential right

apana

Maybe they are working on expensive motion control tech and they need to have a weaker console in order to balance out costs. I'm sure they want to sell at a profit from the get go considering their huge financial losses with the PS3.

Tron 2.0

Would the games industry be able to financially deal with another generational leap as large as PS2 -> PS3 right now?

The current generation and its exponentially more expensive development cycle has really fucked up developers and publishers. Developers are practically begging for the current console generation to continue for another four or five years.

But then, you can still see marked performance improvement in PC games running on current gen engines. So maybe current engines would scale better than last gen and the cost of development wouldn't increase so dramatically?

It's just hard to see how, if $50 million game budgets become the norm, the industry doesn't kill itself.

Honest question.

(I understand fully that technological limitations basically prevent such a large leap next generation. But I think the question is still valid.)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, whatever. Give me my Vita and you can keep your PS4.

:-(

Momo

Banned
cluxdeluxe said:
If this is true I am quitting console gaming and just stick with my pc.
bleh, no need to. I highly doubt the statement regarding there being a small tech leap is in any way shape and form true, and already this gen all three console makers have been making and marketing both "casual" and "core" oriented titles.

Business as usual

Top Bottom