• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Spain talks PlayStation 4 [Yoshida: Better Visuals The "Gene" Of PlayStation]

Indyana

Update:

Yoshida has weighed in on the PlayStation brand as a whole.

Kotaku said:
That had to change. In designing the PlayStation Vita's interface, its dual touch panels, its dual analog sticks, gyroscopic control, Yoshida says it was game developers who pushed Sony's engineering team to offer something more unique and compelling in the long term for the platform.

"That was the thing at the very beginning of designing the hardware that we wanted to overcome," [Shuhei Yoshida] says. "Of course, we wanted to offer better visuals. That's the 'gene' of PlayStation."
Source: http://kotaku.com/5814295/what-if-the-playstation-vita-is-just-another-psp

Original:

SCE executive (James Armstrong, VP SCEE, CEO SCE Spain+Portugal) made a much clear statement about the PS4 graphics.

How do you imagine the next-gen, better graphics, new controls or both?
- It's difficult to say now. I don't believe we are going to have a console with much better graphics than the ones the PS3 offers now. I think the future will be in offering the best and most accessible experiences to consumers. The target will be to expand the gaming population and to try to design games for women.

My English isn't very good and it will take me more time than I would liked to translate properly the whole interview.

Highlight of Sony E3 conference?
- PS Vita, great controls for everyone.

Highlight of PSV?
- Controls give a lot of authenticity to games, great experience.

PSV target?
- Gamers 14-30 years old looking for a true handheld experience.

PS3 10 years plan?
- PS3 = 299€, Playstation consoles left market at 99€ or 149€, lots of time ahead.

Wii U will launch next year, does it accelerate PS4 launch?
- PS3 has lots of life, they expect to sell 500k in Spain this year and become the best selling console of the year.
(2010 Spanish sales= Wii > 700.000, PS3 ~600,000, DS > 500.000, 360 <300,000 )

- Good luck to Nintendo, it's good for the industry, they will have to show they are bringing something new. Nintendo has a different target , Playstation = gamers and casuals, Wii = families.

PSP plans?
- 129€ good price for boys and girls 6-14 years old. Spanish developed gameslike Cars 2, Geronimo Stilton and Mistery Squad will launch this year.

3D and Sony, new standard or fad?
-Sony has bet on 3D a long time ago, videogames will be very important, new HDTVs makes difficult for families to buy a new 3DTV, it will take time but all TVs will be 3D.

How do you imagine the next-gen, better graphics, new controls or both?
- It's difficult to say now. I do not think we are going to have a console with much better graphics than the ones PS3 offers now. I think the future will be in offering the best and most accessible experiences to consumers. The target will be to expand gaming population and to try to design games for women.

- Lots of market research = women want a Playstation, but there aren't games for them. Online and digital downloads have to evolve too. Don't expect too much on next-gen graphics.

Sony plans for women?
- It's important to expand gaming population, focus on males=selling only to a half of the market.

Will digital downloads kill physical media?
- No, physical media has lots of advantages for consumers. Digital sales will increase.

Digital sales help avoiding piracy?
- PSN sales have no piracy, helps because there's a lot of piracy, PSP for example, LOTS of piracy in Spain.

PS3 piracy damaged Sony benefits?
- Yes. Lack of piracy is very good. High risk industry, high development costs.

Lessons learned from PSN outage?
- Learned a lot, no product 100% secure, contracted best companies to help us, no fraud detected because of hacked PSN.

Source in Spanish:http://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/articulos/72/0/entrevista-james-armstrong-vp-sony-europa/

Corto

Point of interest:

James Armstrong said:
"It’s hard to say right now.I do not think we’ll have a console with a lot better graphics than the PS3 currently offered.I believe the future will be to offer consumers better and more accessible experience .The aim will be to make more people enter the world of video games and try to design titles for women."

.... and Jack Tretton's recent comments

Jack Tretton said:
“PlayStation 3 is really just hitting its stride. And technologically, I don’t think it’s possible to provide any advancement beyond what we have…

…What we’ve seen from the competition is trying to add features that already exist in PlayStation 3. We invested heavily in that, we rolled a very heavy rock up a steep hill, through the launch period. But now I think that all pays off, and we’ve got a long run way behind it. So, I wouldn’t look for any discussion of a next generation PlayStation for quite some time.”"

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
nintendo chain-ruining gaming for everyone

LLShC.gif

these casuals are the lepers of the industry

Takao

Banned
That is Sony Portugal speaking, and this was their major PSP release last year:

Patito_Feo_Caratula_PSP.jpg

"Ugly Duckling: A Beautiful Game"

I thought they already stated that this could be the turn for them and they would focus more on innovating ways to play. I approve anyway, so hopefully it happens.

demolitio

That's one way to screw up with the one audience that made you successful. I'm fine with having some 1st party games that cater to casuals, but why shape everything around that casual market that you won't even get and end up pissing off the audience that you actually do have?

I don't think I'd be willing to shell out big money unless it was a big improvement. Otherwise, my current PC will do just fine then.

Psi

Well I guess they want my PS4 money to go to upgrading my PC.

Edit: I can't really believe this, coming from SCEE.

Sethos

Banned
Microsoft: "We built our new console into Kinect thus making a portable, affordable and versatile console. However, that means we weren't able to increase the performance, we actually had to cut down in a few areas, namely the GPU."

Give it a year I tells ya!

SCEE VP of Spain/Portugal isn't someone I would look to to find out about Sony's future plans but I fully expect to be underwhlemed by all the next gen consoles(Graphically speaking).

How soon can I preorder a 720?

Edit:

Sethos said:
Microsoft: "We built our new console into Kinect thus making a portable, affordable and versatile console. However, that means we weren't able to increase the performance, we actually had to cut down in a few areas, namely the GPU."

Give it a year I tells ya!
Damn, you're probably right.

Jumping_20ship.jpg

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Seriously though, this guy is probably Sony Europe's Reggie-equivalent. His words hold just about as much weight.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
But Jack Tretton told us last week that we shouldn't expect any discussion of the next Playstation any time soon.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Nintendo redeemed
possibly

What I want to know is if tech were to significantly improve, would that cause a significant development cost increase like we saw happen this generation? If so, I'd rather have a smaller incremental improvement, as I'm sure most developers would. Higher costs means bigger risks which is what the gaming industry doesn't need.

If this were true, why make anything cutting edge, like the Vita? If you want to make things accessible make them easier to play, not uglier to look at.....

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
hahahahahaha

here we go

but he's right. Except women don't need home consoles, mobile phones will do just fine.

it seems that MS will win on this market in the end.

Replicant

FUCK THE CASUALS.

There I said it. How likely are they to buy new console anyway? There's a reason why they're called 'the casuals' and that's because they don't actually play game that often. So what reason would there be for them to buy new console when they already have what they have now?

Haha... not going to happen. Might not be the jump from ps2 to ps3 and will reuse some technology, but it'll still be a lot more powerful than the ps3.

Tron 2.0

Takao said:
That is Sony Portugal speaking, and this was their major PSP release last year:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OOI8AzY6ZpY/TIupta9v_HI/AAAAAAAAFBs/LXVC5LSLRUw/s1600/Patito_Feo_Caratula_PSP.jpg[img]

"Ugly Duckling: A Beautiful Game"[/QUOTE]Don't you dare fucking badmouth Patito Feo! That was my game of the year!

Patapwn

Slime said:
I, for one, welcome our new Microsoft overlords.

Save us from 2006 tech, please.

Are you talking about the Microsoft that showcased Kinect at their abomination of an E3 conference? Or do you mean another Microsoft?

Because I, for one, welcome our new Steam overlords.

mrfolego

Banned
KeioSquad2 said:
If this were true, why make anything cutting edge, like the Vita? If you want to make things accessible make them easier to play, not uglier to look at.....
Games still look good to me

Zee-Row

Banned
Makes me wonder , PS4 is gonna be the first console release without Kutaragi-san , i wonder what this systems gonna pack in the beginning.

Why do people for some reason think that just because a company appeals to one demographic, they will somehow completely abandon their current one?

And going with tech not that much more powerful than the PS3? Is this really that surprising given the industries current situation?

Also...Microsoft is the savior? Really? Did anybody even watch there E3 press conference this year or last?

Either way, I'll enjoy my gaming PC whatever goes down.

Beth Cyra

I am hoping against hope this ends up being the case.

The Sony Press Confrence would be glorious because the whole thing would be filled with Nintendo ruined Sony and gaming haha.

surly

Banned
I could see MS and Sony both going down this route. Sony lost 4-5 billion dollars on the PS3 and they've got a long way to go before they make that back and start seeing a profit. Why repeat that all over again with the PS4?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Heh.

I mean, whatever, if they go that route then I'll probably have one less console that I'm tempted to buy when the next gen starts. I don't hate stuff like motion controls and casual gaming but I've learned that it's something that only really provides a temporary distraction for me, I'd rather spend the big money on something that can better satisfy my interests.

Top Bottom