• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony spent 5.4% of total revenue on advertising. Nintendo spent 10%.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Tokyo Keizai Online put out an article ranking Japanese companies by the amount they spent on advertising in the last fiscal year ending March 31st 2015. The results show that Sony was ranked in the number 1 spot and therefore the company in Japan that spent the most on advertising. In total Sony spent 444.4 billion yen on advertising, around 5.4% of its total revenue. An analyst says that Sony is a global brand and therefore needs to spend more in order to amintain the high value of its brand not only in Japan but also overseas. Please note that this amount was spent across all of Sony's businesses and not just the PlayStation brand.

Toyota came in second with 435.1 billion yen and Nissan was third with 336.7 billion yen. Nintendo was the only game company in the top 50, ranked at number 20, with 54.8 billion yen spent on advertising. This was around 10% of total revenue and makes Nintendo one of the two companies in the top 50 to spend more than 10% of total revenue on advertising.

On average, companies in Japan spend 3.5% on advertising.
img_31f1cd62a71c2b0563ca62df0694cd9c1342680.jpg

http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/82100?page=2

kadotsu

Banned
Is there a number just for the SCEI branch. I imagine it being higher than complete Sony since a lot of revenue comes from their insurance subdivision, which is probably not ad heavy.

Jigorath

Banned
Well yeah, they're a much larger company. A more interesting comparison would be just Sony Computer Entertainment and Nintendo.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Is there a number just for the SCEI branch. I imagine it being higher than complete Sony since a lot of revenue comes from their insurance subdivision, which is probably not ad heavy.

Unfortunately not. Sony generated total revenue of 8215 billion yen and spent total 5.4% on advertising. The game branch generated 1388 billion yen revenue but we don't know what that specific branch spent on advertising.

Is it advertising spent in Japan, or Worldwide?

Worldwide

Sony probably makes more money than Nintendo, because of their other branches.

Thanks for reading the OP bro. Much appreciated.....

Circinus

Well SCE doesn't really have any exclusives to advertise soooo...

I'm joking don't kill me.

It's a percentage, not an absolute number.

And it isn't just SCE, it's Sony Corporation across its dozens of business units.

It would be a good joke if it was just SCE. ;)

leroidys

It's a percentage, not an absolute number.

And it isn't just SCE, it's Sony Corporation across its dozens of business units.

It would be a good joke if it was just SCE. ;)

I know, that actually plays into the joke as it implies that the rest of sony is advertising but SCE is not.

It was a poor effort anyway. I need to stop posting for the weekend.

for ms it's probably way higher than that.

ignoring how they advertise the shit out of xbox that i don't think sony really does with ps, they also have surface, windows 10, bing, azure, etc. they also advertise a lot.

sony has, what, games and movies? maybe phones?

ignoring how they advertise the shit out of xbox that i don't think sony really does with ps, they also have surface, windows 10, bing, azure, etc. they also advertise a lot.

Music division, other electronics(cameras). The have a lot of products that need advertisement.

I don't know if it's exactly fair to judge Sony's ad expenses based around their whole company, but I can definitely see why they wouldn't need to spend as much ad money on the PS4 as Nintendo on the WiiU (struggling, cost to attain more "casual" families). Helps that the PS4 had nothing but free hype into its launch

Steel

Banned

Insurance. In Japan anyway.

Walpurgis

Banned

Yeah, I always see Windows 8 tablets showing up throughout episodes of Arrow and The Flash.

Circinus

Not 100% sure about that, but it's certainly possible.

I think on a worldwide basis, PlayStation probably spends quite a bit more on advertising than Xbox (because they advertise much more in Middle East, Europe, Australia, Pacific Asia, Japan and Latin America)

Electronics, music. Multiple B2B operations as well, but obviously those don't have large expensive marketing campaigns.

ZhugeEX

Banned
For those interested in how much the gaming division makes Sony & Nintendo as a whole last fiscal year then please see below-

1,388 billion yen - Sony Revenue
549.7 billion yen- Nintendo Revenue

48.10 billion yen - Sony profit.
24.77 billion yen - Nintendo profit

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Doesn't those percentages depend on the total revenue?
I mean Sony may have a lower percentage but could still be more in $.

DieH@rd

Banned
For those interested in how much the gaming division makes Sony & Nintendo as a whole last fiscal year then please see below-

It will be interesting to see the results from this FY[year in which 3DS sales are still going down and everyone is patiently waiting for WiiU to die].

I figured Playstation would be making alot more profit than Nintendo, its only 2:1

It will be interesting to see the results from this FY[year in which 3DS sales are still going down and everyone is patiently waiting for WiiU to die].

amiibo sales still strong, digital sales going well, licensing starting to generate revenues, margins on hw increasing though.

MilesTeg

Banned
Would be interesting to see how much Nintendo spent in the past. I'm gonna assume Nintendo is at ten percent because their total revenue is smaller than it used to be. I would wager that they are actually spending less on advertisement than in the past but the percentage here is higher because they aren't making as much money as they used to.

big_z

This info is pointless unless we know how much sonys game division spent to directly compare.

Splatoon had a big marketing push but other than that I haven't seen any Nintendo advertising, not even for Mario maker or when the new 3ds launched. Sony on the other hand has had a steady trickle of ps4 advertisements through the year. Of course these are Japan numbers but i have to imagine the marketing budget would be similar in other territories.

ZhugeEX

Banned
This info is pointless unless we know how much sonys game division spent to directly compare.

Splatoon had a big marketing push but other than that I haven't seen any Nintendo advertising, not even for Mario maker or when the new 3ds launched. Sony on the other hand has had a steady trickle of ps4 advertisements through the year. Of course these are Japan numbers but i have to imagine the marketing budget would be similar in other territories.

It's worldwide numbers.

Nintendo's problem isn't that they don't spend enough on marketing; the problem, IMO, is that their marketing is crap. At least over here.

geordiemp

If thats the gaming divisions, it makes sense...

Mu guess is Sony main profit licensing and PSN, Nintendo probably Amiibo

kyser73

I figured Playstation would be making alot more profit than Nintendo, its only 2:1

Nintendo is more profitable than Sony by 1.03% according to those numbers - you need to look at the profit margin rather than raw values. Sony is about 3.5% and Nintendo 4.5%.

I have no idea whether these are in line with industry expectations or averages tho. Zhuge?

Fact Nintendo only makes Wii u ...as per you

And I insinuate that where? Unless you meant to say Nintendo spends all their marketing budget on marketing everything but the WiiU.

I literally meant that I have if at all seen very few Wii U ads so I wonder where they spent all that money on.

In the UK they're more prevalent on kids' channels.

see this is a productive answer. I do not watch kid's channels so there's a decent chance I might have missed them if Nintendo focused marketing on them.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Nintendo is more profitable than Sony by 1.03% according to those numbers - you need to look at the profit margin rather than raw values. Sony is about 3.5% and Nintendo 4.5%.

I have no idea whether these are in line with industry expectations or averages tho. Zhuge?

Sony are expecting pretty much the same this year (due to continued investment in the PlayStation brand) whilst Nintendo are expecting revenues to stay the same whilst increasing profitability through maintaining hardware sales, new software releases on mobile/console + cost cutting.

Top Bottom