• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Stock Hits 10 Year High

thelastword

Banned
The conglomerate becomes the most valuable Japanese electronics maker for the first time in 15 years, as investors and analysts have highlighted the profitability of films, music and gaming.

Sony Corp. stock on Tuesday closed at its highest level since January 2008 in Tokyo to become the biggest Japanese electronics maker by market capitalization for the first time in more than 15 years.

Sony closed at a 10-year high of ¥5,705 ($51.30) on Tuesday, following a 4.5 percent rise Monday, taking its total market value to around $65 billion, allowing it to overtake industrial instrument and equipment maker Keyence. The stock is up more than 12 percent so far this year.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-stock-hits-10-year-high-1125884

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Congrats to Sony
Inb4 someone tells us their doom and gloom story.

dolabla

021_1.gif

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
I hope this means more for their Japanese-focused gaming side. Their gaming output is awesome, thus far, but more Western for my liking, which of course is understandable, consoles are plummeting in Japan and mobile is King there, so some restructure had to happen.

WaterAstro

Weird the articles from hollywoodreporter. I guess movie is turning around for them?

I hope they see more profits from their electronics because their TVs and mobile phones are top notch.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
I've amended your title to accurately reflect the news and article. 'All time high' and 'ten year high' are not the same thing. Please ensure your thread titles represent the contents correctly.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Good for them. I hope they don't just sit on their laurels...
Why not? Videogames are all about highs and lows, and reversals of fortune.

This allows the medium to be ever changing. Makes these companies think outside the box once in a while. I love when a new leader comes along, or an old one comes back to the front. What I don't want is a stagnant or linear evolution of technology. But that's just me. I don't give a shit about the companies themselves. There's only one thing truly important, and it is the consumer.

Imtjnotu

Their Mirrorless cameras. Phones cameras, solid televisions and ofcourse playstation have all impressed me over the last 4 years. Congrats Sony

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Deserved. My whole TV rack is in Sony hand. Sony A1 TV (best piece of tech I bought in more than a decade), PS4pro and X700 4k player. Great stuff.

Congrats Sony, it was your turn (mostly) to take a sizable chunk of my money over the past couple of months, upgrade to PS4 Pro, a PSVR and the games to go with it, God Of War CE. If you make good products, I'll keep buying them.

Their Mirrorless cameras. Phones cameras, solid televisions and ofcourse playstation have all impressed me over the last 4 years. Congrats Sony
Still can’t stomach their TV costs, but cameras and headphones are excellent buys at most every price point. Now to figure out how to make their phones worth a damn...

Forsete

Still can’t stomach their TV costs, but cameras and headphones are excellent buys at most every price point. Now to figure out how to make their phones worth a damn...

Still the best Android phone I have ever tried.
Google Samsung, Google Huawei, HTC. Still came back to Xperia, rock solid reliability.

thelastword

Banned
I've amended your title to accurately reflect the news and article. 'All time high' and 'ten year high' are not the same thing. Please ensure your thread titles represent the contents correctly.
Yes, thanks, it was not my intention to misrepresent. I noticed this just after I submitted, but I had to leave quickly....Still great news and a good achievement from a long time ago. I remember there was lots of doom and gloom for the company when they were selling buildings, closing divisions et al when Kaz took over.....and they did come back strong, especially the gaming division, which bled a fair bit last generation....

Well, every cell phone needs a camera innit? Their 4k televisions and their cell phones are pretty awesome. Their Gaikai and Onlive acqusitions seems to have paid off; as PS Plus, NOW and Vue have expanded or launched successfully, and even Shareplay has been one of the best features for gaming this gen. Of course, the games have been pretty stellar too and they sold gangbusters; like UC4, GOW etc.....even their mobile gaming is seeing huge success....However, dont forget their movies, their movies have been selling gangbusters too, like Jumanji, transylvania and of course the upcoming Spiderman FFH and Venom are sure to be blockbuster hits when they arrive.....

I think that the synnergy between divisions is really helping gaming tremendously though, as an example.. the movie studios are working with Insomniac to make the Spiderman game better and I have a feeling this will print money for Sony come September and the holidays.....

thelastword

Banned
Great for Sony.

Now there is no excuse to Bring a Gravity rush 3 for the fans and the PLAYERS!
I think there will be a new gravity rush, not this gen though......What they did with physics was really incredible in part 2. If they have a good CPU next gen, these guys can go really crazy on physics,ai,DD etc......

With all the craze for battle royale and also with the popularity of Siege, I think Sony should re-introduce Socom, they need a competitve shooter in the scene....

Reorx

damn, I still remember before the PS4 released, the SONY stock was under 10$ and I was hesitant to buy a bunch of them.
Back then some of the Sony departments (smartphones and TV's) were bleeding money, while gaming was not as successful as it is today.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is what happens when you get a smart person to run the company that understands the "culture" and not some bean counter from outside to run things their way.

To put it in perspective the last time I bought Sony stock it was around $50. And that was around 2002-2003 I think ;(

Basically it dropped hard and took this long to recover.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
This is what happens when you get a smart person to run the company that understands the "culture" and not some bean counter from outside to run things their way.
I disagree, that "culture" is just Japan and their mindset. It really isn't working and/or obsolete in this time and age.
See how many other Japanese companies failing to roll with the times, can't blame Howard Stringer for the hand he got dealt and/or made worse.

mckmas8808

I disagree, that "culture" is just Japan and their mindset. It really isn't working and/or obsolete in this time and age.
See how many other Japanese companies failing to roll with the times, can't blame Howard Stringer for the hand he got dealt and/or made worse.

And yet someone else that gets it turned everything around in less time. Sony wasn't fixed by accident. Howard just didn't understand what to do and how to do it given Sony\Japanese culture.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I disagree with this post also, but you don't fix such a large company over night so will see in the coming years.

But Kaz took over 6 years ago. So why do we have to wait and see if what he does will work. It already has. That's why Sony is here now.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I think there will be a new gravity rush, not this gen though......What they did with physics was really incredible in part 2. If they have a good CPU next gen, these guys can go really crazy on physics,ai,DD etc......

With all the craze for battle royale and also with the popularity of Siege, I think Sony should re-introduce Socom, they need a competitve shooter in the scene....

Yes, thank you ... i hope this will happen too =)

LordPezix

Wow, two stock high threads in one day. I see the defense forces have activated for the week.

Still, excellent to see Sony riding a high wave.

A.Romero

I don't think we can doubt Sony's success at this point.

Other than consoles they are not Samsung or Nikkon but I think they have very competent products.

The smartphone that I liked the most so far is the Xperia Z3. When the time came to upgrade, I would have wanted to upgrade to the XZ, however, for some reason it was more expensive than a Samsung edge (I'm in Mexico) so I had to go for the Edge.

Their phones always have some cutting edge stuff (a lot of the times gimmicks) and their design is so elegant.

Regarding their movies I think their output has improved over time. I don't have high hopes on Venom being good but I hope it's at least entertaining. I don't think Tom Hardy would accept a Spider Man 3 level script at this point in his career.

They really turned the company around. I wish I had gotten Sony stock in 2007...

thelastword

Banned
And yet someone else that gets it turned everything around in less time. Sony wasn't fixed by accident. Howard just didn't understand what to do and how to do it given Sony\Japanese culture.
But Kaz took over 6 years ago. So why do we have to wait and see if what he does will work. It already has. That's why Sony is here now.
Money posts.....

That's excactly right, all you heard was jokes of Sony selling buildings, closing divisions and trimming the fat, they were in trouble, but here comes Kaz and he fixes it all and it's looking like the next two years will be even more successful for them...

People have to understand, this is not somebody being called up to fix the gaming division or a sole division, this is somebody being called up to fix the entire company...... and now the majority of the divisions are now successful and seeing profit, not just gaming.....Spencer was called up to fix only a gaming division and he still has not delivered, whilst Kaz have fixed an entire company and left on a high with prospects for even better success than we have today.....Of course it helps that gaming is just firing on all cylinders........

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I was told Sony would be bankrupt and shut down before we reached this year. What gives?

Also, Nintendo is supposed to be third-party and Microsoft completely out of the home console business.

I'm starting to think maybe I should stop believing everything I read on the Internet.

estheim

Neo Member
I don't understand why they are not willing to take advantage of XZ Premium's 4K screen with an in-house software and vr device.

Bolivar687

Banned
Not sure about what the ten-year high means, wasn't Sony as a whole already in a lot of trouble at that point with Stringer at the helm? Does this mean they're now finally out of all of it?

Agree with mckmas8808 mckmas8808 that Kaz deserves a damn monument for this. Not only did he get the culture, he's one of the few executives who can truly bridge the gap between East and West, which is exactly what he did with PlayStation and even Sony Music before that. Bloomberg was always getting his takes and positioning him as someone to watch even before he took over the top.

mckmas8808

Agree with mckmas8808 mckmas8808 that Kaz deserves a damn monument for this. Not only did he get the culture, he's one of the few executives who can truly bridge the gap between East and West, which is exactly what he did with PlayStation and even Sony Music before that. Bloomberg was always getting his takes and positioning him as someone to watch even before he took over the top.

This is way Sony is in the position they are in. Bolivar687 said it best. He perfectly bridged the gap between East and West. He got rid of some of the fat that they weren't great at. But he also doubled down on the stuff that they do well. Great job Kaz!

Top Bottom