• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony sucks at porting games to PC

It was with great enthusiasm that PC gamers received the news that more PlayStation games were getting ported to PC. But several of these PC ports have been abismal, with lots of problems.
Here are a few examples.

Spider-man for some reason, requires a CPU that is much more powerful than anything on a PS4 or PS5, just to run well enough.
It has Ray-tracing implemented, but the BVH traversal is done on the CPU, even of GPUs that have dedicated hardware for this. So performance is lower than what it should be.

Sackboy, has so many issues with stuttering it broke Alex Battaglia. During his review of the game, he couldn't even muster the strength to be angry, it was just lifeless disappointment.

Uncharted 4 had issues with mouse controls since launch and the first patch just made it worse. And it only got fixed a couple of days ago.
Steam forums are filled with people with issues with crashes, performance and graphic errors.

Horizon Zero Dawn had performance problems, and it took almost a full year for performance to be improved to a good level.

These are good games, but the PC ports are lacking in quality. This is bound to hurt Sony's reputation as a quality publisher, at least on the PC space.
Sony has to demand better from it's Studios, has to give more time for these games to be ported to PC, with the quality they deserve.
Sony, you have to be better than this.
Nixxes says hold my Screen Space Reflection

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Spiderman was great on my PC. It was better than the PS4 version for sure and seemed to be as good as MM was on PS5.

From has said that Bloodborne's engine is pretty broken to the point where it'd be a lot of work to fix the 30 fps and frame pacing problems correctly to not cause other problems. Plus I think they would want to improve the graphics a bit if there was to be a PC port. Perhaps the sequel (when it happens) will be put on PC.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And somebody who has bought everything they have put out except maybe a couple of things like Detroit and sackboy, I disagree. I suppose if you want to criticize horizon for being less than Stellar at lunch then sure but the rest of their stuff is shockingly good as far as options and things that even benchmarkers or traditional PC places like digital foundry have applauded. I'm speaking specifically of a game like Spider-Man that has all the modern stuff and upscaling technologies and is a benchmark game basically.

So while I could disagree with you 100% I will probably disagree with you 85% because they aren't perfect either.

winjer

Gold Member
lol are you attacking me? DF asked nixies about it. There are other analysis too.
The game does not have initial shader compilation. it's all done in real time by the cpu. it loads the assets preemptively.

In fact, it is FINALLY a good effort use CPUs for something in these ports.
High cpu cost is not a drawback of the port. It is it's strength.

Listen. I have the worst/most confusing pc relationship and I am very annoyed by it. That's why I game on console too a lot. I agree that we should hole this platform to a higher standard... But also, You can't expect Sony of all devs to suddenly fix long lasting PC PLATFORM problems. It's up to microsoft, nvidia, amd and so on.
They at least create new valiatnt efforts with each game. high cpu usage in Spider man. Pre caching in Horizon... anything i better than nothing with Elden Ring. From just dumped their stuttery shit out there. But Sony at least tries
But your blanket statements make it seem worse than it is.... aside from the fact that it could always be better. That's true. And sackboy is hard to excuse... I agree

edit: I AM DEFENDING PC GAMING FOR ONCE !!!!
@rodrigolfp @MidGenRefresh @01011001 come here you fuckers. Remember this rare moment :p

In that video Alex is stating, that Nixxes said the reason for the high CPU cost is that the BVH structure is being processed in the CPU. And that there is a lot of decompression on the fly. Exactly what I said.
Nothing about shader compilation.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Any game that had issues at launch has been fixed to the point where they are now they best versions of said game.

Horizon Zero Dawn is best on PC
Detroit Become Human is best on PC
Days Gone is best on PC
Death Stranding is best on PC
God of War 2018 is best on PC
Spider-Man Remastered is best on PC
Uncharted The Legacy of Thieves is best on PC
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is best forgotten
Spider-Man Miles Morales will be best on PC
TLOU P1 will be best on PC too

Sony's ports are mostly great.. with a few having issues in the beginning. They're not going to stop either. Their studios are learning from these releases.

Best is subjective. I see at least five Platinum trophies in that list that I wouldn't have with the PC version.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
In that video Alex is stating, that Nixxes said the reason for the high CPU cost is that the BVH structure is being processed in the CPU. And that there is a lot of decompression on the fly. Exactly what I said.
Nothing about shader compilation.
Perfectly explains cpu usage anyway.
He explains it's for stutter too... not sure in which video/part of video but I've heard it.

TrebleShot

PC hardware is not a like for like with console hardware.

It’s stated time and time again but people seem to think having high end expensive hardware crosses the gap for the custom hardware in a console and console centric architecture.

It’s not the same and will never be the same so the games may be able to be brute forced to higher res and FR but there still remains specific coding and optimisation at the fundamentals of a game that won’t simply be rearchitechtured just for the PC market.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Best is subjective. I see at least Platinum trophies in that list that I wouldn't have with the PC version.
You'd have whatever achievements the games have on Steam or whatever other launcher they are being sold on.

That said, I think Sony should work on unifying the ecosystem between console and PC. Having an ingame overlay with the same achievements or being able to see on PC whose of your Sony pals are online would be cool.

Gaiff

Gold Member
lol are you attacking me? DF asked nixies about it. There are other analysis too.
The game does not have initial shader compilation. it's all done in real time by the cpu. it loads the assets preemptively.

In fact, it is FINALLY a good effort use CPUs for something in these ports.
High cpu cost is not a drawback of the port. It is it's strength.

Listen. I have the worst/most confusing pc relationship and I am very annoyed by it. That's why I game on console too a lot. I agree that we should hole this platform to a higher standard... But also, You can't expect Sony of all devs to suddenly fix long lasting PC PLATFORM problems. It's up to microsoft, nvidia, amd and so on.
They at least create new valiatnt efforts with each game. high cpu usage in Spider man. Pre caching in Horizon... anything i better than nothing with Elden Ring. From just dumped their stuttery shit out there. But Sony at least tries
But your blanket statements make it seem worse than it is.... aside from the fact that it could always be better. That's true. And sackboy is hard to excuse... I agree

edit: I AM DEFENDING PC GAMING FOR ONCE !!!!
@rodrigolfp @MidGenRefresh @01011001 come here you fuckers. Remember this rare moment :p

Nowhere does it mention stutter compilation as the culprit. This is simply poor CPU management. Shader compilations stutters would stop after the first pass. These stutters do not.

As for OP, you are correct. The two best ports so far that were largely devoid of issues were Days Gone and God of War. Horizon took months to fix. Spider-Man eats CPUs for breakfast and Sackboy stutters are seizure-inducing.

Uncharted is pretty decent sans the mouse acceleration issue. It is very stable. The only problem is the fact that it requires hardware twice as strong as on PS to run properly. I guess since the weakest popular GPU these days is the 1060, no one really cares how it runs on hardware below that.

Topher

Gold Member
You'd have whatever achievements the games have on Steam or whatever other launcher they are being sold on.

That said, I think Sony should work on unifying the ecosystem between console and PC. Having an ingame overlay with the same achievements or being able to see on PC whose of your Sony pals are online would be cool.

Yep. I've said many times that Sony needs to work out Trophy integration with Steam. As it is, I don't really care about achievements. Just don't have the same appeal as Platinum trophies do for me.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft struggled for the first few xbox ports to pc. I'm sure I remember having strange issues with Gears and forza.

I think if Sony don't have it mastered by 2023 then we can legit give them some shit but I think we should give them a small window to learn.

Saying that, I think every game has had pretty major issues?

Laptop1991

Most games are PC ports now, and seeing as there is no PC gaming genre left really like in the past, it's probably as good as it's going to get, i started gaming on PC when Sega, Nintendo and Atari were the console gaming systems, so i have no interest in either Xbox or Sony's in house franchise's, i never played them, it was always 3rd party publisher's games i played, who have nearly vanished now as big independent studios,

It's probably different for younger PC gamer's who came from a console gaming environment and remember and know these game's, i can't see them making use of the full power of a PC anymore or caring that much about glitches, why would they, it's a waste of money and resource's, just port them over so they just work at best, they will still sell.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Most games are PC ports now, and seeing as there is no PC gaming genre left really like in the past, it's probably as good as it's going to get, i started gaming on PC when Sega, Nintendo and Atari were the console gaming systems, so i have no interest in either Xbox or Sony's in house franchise's, i never played them, it was always 3rd party publisher's games i played, who have nearly vanished now as big independent studios,

It's probably different for younger PC gamer's who came from a console gaming environment and remember and know these game's, i can't see them making use of the full power of a PC anymore or caring that much about glitches, why would they, it's a waste of money and resource's, just port them over so they just work at best, they will still sell.
What I find really strange only in last few years is that pc powers continues to grow at a steady fast pace but it grows as a whole.
Sure, 4090 is 2x faster than 3080... but its 2x bigger, 2x more power hungry and 3x the price.
x670 motherboards?! 2x+ the price of x570 motherboards.
My x570 motherboard was below 200$ on release and it's x670 counterpart is almost 400$. I know they have more layers and so on...

Pc seems to be driven into corner where manufacturers MUST SELL MORE POWERFUL PARTS but process shrinking has really slowed down. So they just make stuff bigger and more expensive.
it really seems like a fail of the whole industry. But hey? It sells, it works and it can be done. No matter than cables are melting motherboards are 500$ because bandwidths are too much.
I think some architectural revolution for pc building is in place.

Cryio

People praised God of War at launch for being an excelent port.

It's the only DX11 game that requires Feature Level DX11_1, in existence.
Doesn't have Exclusive Fullscreen.
Doesn't have DX12
To my knowledge, you now need 13th gen Intel CPU to hold 120 fps locked throughout the entire game, otherwise drops all over the place.
It was ridiculous CPU bound in general, becoming a stuttery mess on AMD GPUs especially. This coming from a game that ran on extremely low IPC, Bulldozer era 1.6 GHz cores.
Ridiculously heavy on slightly better than base PS4 visuals.

Mister Wolf

Most PC games have issues. I accept this as a cost of reaching the highs in performance + additional features you can attain on PC. If you want safe and stable you game on Console/Toyota Prius. If you want the fastest and most luxurious but sometimes unreliable you game on PC/McLaren. Gotta deal with sports car issues.

Last edited:

Holammer

Are there problems? Yes, are they game breaking? No. Sony games still review favorably among Steam users.
The Sackboy stuttergate is severely overblown, if you play it naturally it's only ever noticeable in the intro with the sackboy town and the first time you meet Scarlet, after a couple of stages the most common shaders have been dealt with and the compile becomes invisible to the user. Stage previews aid in that process.

Sackboy 89%
Uncharted 88%
Spiderman 96%
GoW 96%
Days Gone 92%
Predator 78%
Horizon 86% <-- Released in bad condition, patches fixed it and recent reviews are 90%+

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Any game that had issues at launch has been fixed to the point where they are now they best versions of said game.

Horizon Zero Dawn is best on PC
Detroit Become Human is best on PC
Days Gone is best on PC
Death Stranding is best on PC
God of War 2018 is best on PC
Spider-Man Remastered is best on PC
Uncharted The Legacy of Thieves is best on PC
Sackboy: A Big Adventure is best forgotten
Spider-Man Miles Morales will be best on PC
TLOU P1 will be best on PC too

Sony's ports are mostly great.. with a few having issues in the beginning. They're not going to stop either. Their studios are learning from these releases.
I just started Uncharted Legacy of Thieves today. Currently juggling Persona 5 on Steam Deck and other games.

Gaiff

Gold Member
What I find really strange only in last few years is that pc powers continues to grow at a steady fast pace but it grows as a whole.
Sure, 4090 is 2x faster than 3080... but its 2x bigger, 2x more power hungry and 3x the price.
Why are you being disingenuous?

RTX 3080: 320W
RTX 4090: 4050
That's a 1.4x increase. Where did you get 2x?

Furthermore, the 4090 even with a power limit of 350W is almost twice as fast as the 3080 anyway. It's just NVIDIA pushing clocks far beyond their optimal efficiency to make sure that AMD wouldn't beat them for the crown.

3x the price?

RTX 3080: $700
RTX 4090: $1600

A 2.28x increase. The 4090 is also meant to be the top-tier option replacing the 3090/Ti, not the "affordable" high-end option. Mind you, the $500 price hike is still outrageous but lead your post with actual data and not falsehoods. Even if you have the right idea, this kills the perceived intent behind your claims.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Imperfect ports or not, the fact that Sony games are coming to PC is amazing.
Saves me buying an extra console and then paying for games at higher prices. You can't really beat PC + free online + key sites + mods + steam sales.

I just need day one releases and trophy integration and I'll be fully on board Sony games on PC. As it is, I'm looking at God of War Ragnarok coming out this week and hate the thought of having to wait a year or more to play the game. Maybe one day....

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why are you being disingenuous?

RTX 3080: 320W
RTX 4090: 4050
That's a 1.4x increase. Where did you get 2x?

Furthermore, the 4090 even with a power limit of 350W is almost twice as fast as the 3080 anyway. It's just NVIDIA pushing clocks far beyond their optimal efficiency to make sure that AMD wouldn't beat them for the crown.

3x the price?

RTX 3080: $700
RTX 4090: $1600

A 2.28x increase. The 4090 is also meant to be the top-tier option replacing the 3090/Ti, not the "affordable" high-end option. Mind you, the $500 price hike is still outrageous but lead your post with actual data and not falsehoods. Even if you have the right idea, this kills the perceived intent behind your claims.
I am generalizing.... just to give a gist... you know... rounding. Not trying to be too anal about this
And in Poland, 4090 is 3x the price. Not a lie.
edit: Anyway, what's with the nitpicking today? why u guys so anal

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Imperfect ports or not, the fact that Sony games are coming to PC is amazing.
Saves me buying an extra console and then paying for games at higher prices. You can't really beat PC + free online + key sites + mods + steam sales.
Except by the time Sony games hit PC, they are $20 on PS but $60-70 on PC.

Laptop1991

x670 motherboards?! 2x+ the price of x570 motherboards.
My x570 motherboard was below 200$ on release and it's x670 counterpart is almost 400$. I know they have more layers and so on...

Pc seems to be driven into corner where manufacturers MUST SELL MORE POWERFUL PARTS but process shrinking has really slowed down. So they just make stuff bigger and more expensive.
it really seems like a fail of the whole industry. But hey? It sells, it works and it can be done. No matter than cables are melting motherboards are 500$ because bandwidths are too much.
I think some architectural revolution for pc building is in place.
Totally agree, what game is ever going to use the full power of a 4090, and they charge those ridiculous prices, in 2007 i built a whole PC including the top gpu at the time for 7 to 800 quid, now it's 2 grand for a gpu that won't have any games to justify the price, infact games don't seem to be a priority for the industry at the moment, all this new hardware is a waste of money imo.

Gaiff

Gold Member
I am generalizing.... just to give a gist... you know... rounding. Not trying to be too anal about this
And in Poland, 4090 is 3x the price. Not a lie.
edit: Anyway, what's with the nitpicking today? why u guys so anal
1.4x to 2.x and 2.3x to 3x isn`t rounding, it`s deliberately lying about numbers to make things look worse than they are.

A $2100 4090 at 640W wouldn`t fly. Things are already as bleak as they are. You don`t even need to make them up or exaggerate them. Your target should have been the 4080 which is an even worse value proposition than its bigger brother which is unheard of in the GPU market.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
1.4x to 2.x and 2.3x to 3x isn`t rounding, it`s deliberately lying about numbers to make things look worse than they are.

A $2100 4090 at 640W wouldn`t fly. Things are already as bleak as they are. You don`t even need to make them up or exaggerate them. Your target should have been the 4080 which is an even worse value proposition than its bigger brother which is unheard of in the GPU market.
Aren't 4090s 600w ?!
I know Fe model is 450.
I am not deliberately lying. I am stating that it's fucking more. It's not progress if you keep increasing power and price and size.... I don't care how many x
350w to 600w is almost 2x. OK, If you compare Fe to Fe it's 320 to 450?
3300pln to 10000pln is 3x (fe prices)

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Uncharted CPU usage is disturbing and fluctuations are messed up. Like barely 1% of CPU is being is used

Here is my ranking of Sony Ports and Issues

1. Horizon - Better than PS4 setting but shader compilation issues for first six months and low texture bugs that still persist today especially at higher resolution make it less than stellar port for sure

2. God of War - Alex Nvidia cocksucking and myopia was on display here and btw I use Nvidia GPU but this game stuttered in the DF review when played on AMD card and yet Alex said its a great port

3. Spiderman - Horrible CPU optimization and DLSS implementation with many horrible frametime spikes which are absent with IGTI. Underwhelming RT implementation

4. Uncharted - Needs many patches because CPU threads are just sitting there meanwhile the drawcalls are tanking FPS in just few scenes completely breaking immersion. For me personally Uncharted is the worst culprit.

5. Sackboy - Everybody knows

These are OK ports and I see them as better alternetive than emulation but none of these ports are stellar

Days Gone is overall the only great port from Sony.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Totally agree, what game is ever going to use the full power of a 4090, and they charge those ridiculous prices, in 2007 i built a whole PC including the top gpu at the time for 7 to 800 quid, now it's 2 grand for a gpu that won't have any games to justify the price, infact games don't seem to be a priority for the industry at the moment, all this new hardware is a waste of money imo.
People need to get over the idea that they need the top line components to play games. As you said yourself, "won't have games to justify the price." If someone is overspending to play games on PC that should be on them. The industry has to push boundaries because the PC space supports a lot more than gaming. I would not say gaming is not "a" priority but it is not "the" priority. Mid-tier CPU/GPU tend to give a lot of bang-for-buck for gaming.

yurinka

These games were built and optimized to run on console only. Specifically PS4, with the exception of Sackboy which was crossgen so was also optimized for PS5.

This means it's harder to optimize them and scale them to different hardware specs in some areas. But in any case, those who properly analized their ports like Digital Foundry said they are great ports, in some cases with some minor issue.

Obviously, due to diverse nature of PC gaming, there are always issues with some compatibility issues, or some games requiring more specs than the ones you have to run properly, or your PC not being built in a way that a specific game prefers in terms of bottlenecks, or you may be playing running who knows what demanding stuff in the background (like Windows Update or certain browsers etc), so you may be experiencing some issues that most people doesn't have. And well, to run it in better conditions than in console (fps, resolution etc) you may need a beefier pc than the matching HW specs because PC and Windows implies an extra layer of stuff there.

But well, these things can be applied to any game designed originally for consoles and in many cases to pc gaming in general. It isn't a Sony specific thing. If you want a better experience than in PS5, you'll need a beefy PC.

If you prefer to don't need to worry if the game will run well in your hardware, or prefer to don't need to having to tweak many settings, confir files, drivers and other stuff to get the optimal performance for your hardware, then maybe consoles are for you.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Aren't 4090s 600w ?!
No. They are not.
I know Fe model is 450.
As are all models out of the box unless you push the power limit slider to 133%. Now watch your power draw increase to 500W+ but your performance increase by 5%.
I am not deliberately lying. I am stating that it's fucking more. It's not progress if you keep increasing power and price and size.... I don't care how many x
350w to 600w is almost 2x. OK, If you compare Fe to Fe it's 320 to 450?
3300pln to 10000pln is 3x (fe prices)
Again, 600W is for high-end partner models` ceiling. Maintaining your logic, the 3080 is a 400W part because that is what the Strix allows.

And yes, the 4090 is far more power efficient the than 3080. At 350W, the 4090 maintains 95% of its performance, making it about 1.9x faster than the 3080 for 1.1x the power consumption. That is a huge improvement. The problem once again is the price.

Laptop1991

People need to get over the idea that they need the top line components to play games. As you said yourself, "won't have games to justify the price." If someone is overspending to play games on PC that should be on them. The industry has to push boundaries because the PC space supports a lot more than gaming. I would not say gaming is not "a" priority but it is not "the" priority. Mid-tier CPU/GPU tend to give a lot of bang-for-buck for gaming.
Tell that to Nvidia and AMD because they are not helping PC gaming in the slightest with their prices, and i disagree poor ports and games that don't work properly and a lack of big games being released is hardly putting games first and gpu's like the 4090 are for gaming first and foremost.

winjer

Gold Member
Tell that to Nvidia and AMD because they are not helping PC gaming in the slightest with their prices, and i disagree poor ports and games that don't work properly and a lack of big games being released is hardly putting games first and gpu's like the 4090 are for gaming first and foremost.

Mining did a lot of damage to the PC market, by getting these companies used to selling GPUs for thousands of dollars.
And it might never recover, if AMD, nvidia and Intel have their greedy way.

Laptop1991

Mining did a lot of damage to the PC market, by getting these companies used to selling GPUs for thousands of dollars.
Yeah, true, i remember Nvidia making some comment against mining a few years ago but they were selling all their gpu's, so i bet they wern't that against it in reality, and it's why i won't buy a 2nd hand gpu now, it's an expensive risk now incase it doesn't last long.

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah, true, i remember Nvidia making some comment against mining a few years ago but they were selling all their gpu's, so i bet they wern't that against it in reality, and it's why i won't buy a 2nd hand gpu now, it's an expensive risk now incase it doesn't last long.

NVidia even removed the hash limiter in their drivers, a month or two ago.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Mining did a lot of long-term damage. Yes, price have gone down but it also made NVIDIA and AMD and realize just how much more gamers are willing to pay. The mining shortage emboldened NVIDIA enough for them to try to sell us a 4060 Ti for $900. They ultimately backed down but the fact that the project was canceled 1 month away from release is telling.

It`s gotten so bad that PC gamers are high-fiving one another because AMD is selling a high-end card for $1000 when 5 years ago, those were $700 at most and that was from NVIDIA. AMD was selling for $600.

Last edited:

Comandr

No. They are not.

As are all models out of the box unless you push the power limit slider to 133%. Now watch your power draw increase to 500W+ but your performance increase by 5%.

Again, 600W is for high-end partner models` ceiling. Maintaining your logic, the 3080 is a 400W part because that is what the Strix allows.

And yes, the 4090 is far more power efficient the than 3080. At 350W, the 4090 maintains 95% of its performance, making it about 1.9x faster than the 3080 for 1.1x the power consumption. That is a huge improvement. The problem once again is the price.
Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Maybe he was generalizing. Maybe he was exaggerating a bit for effect. Your arguments just come across as fucking insufferable. Why do you care so much? Why are you going to war over this on a fucking video game forum? Let it go.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Maybe he was generalizing. Maybe he was exaggerating a bit for effect. Your arguments just come across as fucking insufferable. Why do you care so much? Why are you going to war over this on a fucking video game forum? Let it go.
My argument that reports real numbers is insufferable? lol.

Time to go to bed kid.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Mining did a lot of long-term damage. Yes, price have gone down but it also made NVIDIA and AMD and realize just how much more gamers are willing to pay. The mining shortage emboldened NVIDIA enough for them to try to sell us a 4060 Ti for $900. They ultimately backed down but the fact that the project was canceled 1 month away from release is telling.

It`s gotten so bad that PC gamers are high-fiving one another because AMD is selling a high-end card for $1000 when 5 years ago, those were $700 at most and that was from NVIDIA. AMD was selling for $600.
Yep, i bought a new 980 in 2014 for 400 quid, seems a bargain now, and i had a RTX 2080 go wrong during the gpu drought, i didn't get the replacement i should of because of the crazy price rises, 1000 pounds is not a bargain either.

SoraNoKuni

Their ports are good, not perfect for sure, but really good, but what is perfect?
Name one game that launched on PC without a single issue.

There are a lot more publishers/developers that screw their PC releases to whine about.

EDIT: And that's not to defend Sony, they can improve and they should, but "Sucks at porting games on pc" is a ridiculous statement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom