• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony supposedly considering delaying or moving forward PS5 Release date for countries going into lockdown.

DonJorginho

Banned
UPDATE: (LOOKS LIKE WE'RE SAFE GAFFERS)
:messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

Following text taken from a Reddit post on R/PS5.

GAME in the UK asked me yesterday to come into store and Pre-pay for my PS5 so that I could "Click and Collect" on the 19th. I've been in to do that this morning and been told the following:

"Sony have told us to stop taking prepayments as they may be bringing the date closer or delaying release due to UK, France and Germany all going into lockdown."

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Seems like a super big thing for Game to just randomly tell some bloke. Nothing on their or Sony's social media anywhere? Nah.

Game tweeted out that they were doing click and collect and to come in over the next few days...

then deleted the tweet.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Seems like a super big thing for Game to just randomly tell some bloke. Nothing on their or Sony's social media anywhere? Nah.
I think it is probably just some intern saying some shit out of panic to a customer.

I am with ShopTo who are the best retailer for consoles by far anyway so I ain't worried yet

Reactions: MrS

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
This is huge. But I would understand it. The last thing Sony would like to see is long line of people waiting for their PS5 during a lockdown. That would be a terrible look. So delaying it after the lockdown ( so 3 to 4 weeks ) would make sense.

DonJorginho

Banned
hi i work in game and we are calling people today to come pay for ps5 before lockdown
wed is the deadline and stores will be open 8 till 2 for pick up note some stores with malls will be moved to a open store
Damn that is good news thanks for that, wonder why the seeming mix up in communication between stores?

Gaelyon

Gold Member
In France the official release date for PS5 is still 19th november, despite the current lockdown. My preorder still stand though i was a bit worried as i need to retrieve it directly at the store (FNAC), which during lockdown is problematic, but a click&collect system is spreading to most stores.

Couldn’t they just give everyone a specific time window when they can pick up the console?
That is how Melbourne did it in our lockdown for most non-food stores. You order and pay online, and get given the choice of delivery or pickup.

1. If you want pickup, you book a 1 hour timeframe when you would be there to collect.
2. You drive there, show your order number through the car window for the employee at the gate, and then you park in the pickup area.
3. You open your car boot/trunk, then go back in your car and wait.
4. Employee puts your item in your trunk, then leaves.
5. You then inspects the trunk for the items after the employee leaves to make sure you got everything. And then you should get a receipt by email as well. You then just drive home.

Now, we have gotten out of lockdown last week, so this is no longer needed. But i expect UK and Europe to follow this model in their own lockdowns soon.

This is huge. But I would understand it. The last thing Sony would like to see is long line of people waiting for their PS5 during a lockdown. That would be a terrible look. So delaying it after the lockdown ( so 3 to 4 weeks ) would make sense.
I guess there won't be a line. All the "physical" sales will be transferred to online sales. There is no need to postpone the launch date because of that.

Mine is with Amazon so I'd guess it will arrive as normal or maybe a little late.

It may be a coincidence but my mum just text me to say that there are huge queues at Currys while all the other shops were ok - can't imagine people are that desperate for a new TV or digital camera before lockdown so maybe something to do with PS5?

LENCH187

I guess there won't be a line. All the "physical" sales will be transferred to online sales. There is no need to postpone the launch date because of that.

true, same reason there is no way the release date will be amended by Sony. I would imagine that instead of punishing them, that Sony will officially allow the retailers to start supplying customers a day or 2 earlier than normal due to the covid situation should they need to. So if anything, it will be down to how the retailer manages it.. I think we will start getting reports of UK buyers receiving their consoles w/c 16/11

Of course this is all just random thoughts, but its how I see it playing out

GHG

Gold Member
I cannot fathom places going back into lockdown at the moment.

There's a lot to be said about it but this isn't the thread for it. Hopefully people still get their next gen hardware when they expect it.

N30RYU

"Sony have told us to stop taking prepayments as they may be bringing the date closer or delaying release due to UK, France and Germany all going into lockdown."

tenor.gif

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
In France the official release date for PS5 is still 19th november, despite the current lockdown. My preorder still stand though i was a bit worried as i need to retrieve it directly at the store (FNAC), which during lockdown is problematic, but a click&collect system is spreading to most stores.
I'm in the exact same situation thankfuly the FNAC stays open during lockdown.
(Quick advice if you ordered online you can call them and switch the delivery method, from the store to your adress, I can MP you the number if you want just in case).

azz0r

Banned
Bringing the date forward wont help in the UK unfortunately. I think we're screwed, they'll delay it to end of lockdown on 2nd Dec.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Bringing the date forward wont help in the UK unfortunately. I think we're screwed, they'll delay it to end of lockdown on 2nd Dec.

You don't really believe this lockdown will end on December 2nd do you? They'll stretch it to 2021.

Ar¢tos

I ordered to collect at the store here in Portugal, and the impression I have from the store description for collection at stores, is that they are splitting the orders in 8 collection days to prevent everyone from going there in the same day. Same thing with games and accessories a week before (but 4 days for these).
Something like that could work in those countries.

peetfeet

Welsh lockdown still being confirmed to end on the 9th, I'm ok with release being brought forward to the 10th so deliveries can start then, England can wait ;) (not gonna happen but it would make me chuckle)

FunkMiller

Calm down everyone. Retailers are allowed to stay open for click and collect. This means you can pick your Ps5 up on the 19th. Game are taking payment now because they are a bit backward and have to do it in store.

N30RYU

Calm down everyone. Retailers are allowed to stay open for click and collect. This means you can pick your Ps5 up on the 19th. Game are taking payment now because they are a bit backward and have to do it in store.
In Spain we aren't even in lockdown (we should)... but the shops in malls bigger than 800m2 are all closed. Only small retailers can open right now...

Last edited:

shubik

I just contacted Media Markt Germany on Facebook and specifically asked if I can expect to go into a store on the 19th without having preordered and still get a console. They replied with: "yes, it should be so"

Well, I guess this is what I will do then. I live right next to a huge Saturn. Lockdown is in place but stores are still open.

r9TC8Ue.png

Last edited:

GenericUser

The console is sold out anyway. So to me personally, it doesn't matter if they delay the official launch, I can't get my hands on one anyway.

ruvikx

Banned
In France they've banned the sale of all "non-essential" products in large supermarkets/shopping centres (including places like Leclerc, Auchan etc. where game consoles & TV's are always readily available). So unless you got one pre-ordered from Amazon or another online outlet which delivers to your front door, you're pretty much not going to get a ps5 or Series X here until lockdown ends.

Fuz

Banned
Would be really stupid. People locked in their houses will want to play games more than ever.

N30RYU

Buy Series X to have something to play?

:D
it doesn't really matter during a lockdown you just want something new to have on your hands... even if is just the console... 'cause all the time you are away from the TV is good for your mental health

Last edited:
Top Bottom