• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teases instantaneous open world gaming with PlayStation 5's SSD

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7262...rld-gaming-with-playstation-5s-ssd/index.html

"In order to further enhance the sense of immersion in games, we expect to improve not just the resolution, but the speed of games. For example, through a custom‐designed high‐speed SSD, we plan to realize game data processing speeds that are approximately 100 times faster than PS4."

"Game load times should be much shorter, and players should be able to move through immense game worlds in almost an instant."

As part of Sony's latest corporate strategy meeting, CEO Kenichiro Yoshida discussed the future of the company's gaming and network services. The obvious highlight of this section was the PlayStation 5, which he said will "revolutionize the game experience for users." To achieve that, the console will be dramatically faster than the PlayStation 4. Yoshida stated that the PS5's custom-designed SSD will enable processing speeds that are roughly 100 times faster than PS4. This means loading times will be much shorter (or nonexistent) and that "players should be able to move through immense game worlds in almost an instant."

Yoshida also went over two other major aspects of the PS5 that he believes will greatly enhance player immersion. The DualSense controller will include haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, creating the element of "sense." A customized 3D audio processing unit will also be installed in the PS5, which allows for a 360-degree soundscape in front, behind, above, and below the player. According to Yoshida, the PS5's combination of speed, sense and sound will provide "game experiences that were impossible before."

Last edited:

rnlval

As part of Sony's latest corporate strategy meeting, CEO Kenichiro Yoshida discussed the future of the company's gaming and network services. The obvious highlight of this section was the PlayStation 5, which he said will "revolutionize the game experience for users." To achieve that, the console will be dramatically faster than the PlayStation 4. Yoshida stated that the PS5's custom-designed SSD will enable processing speeds that are roughly 100 times faster than PS4. This means loading times will be much shorter (or nonexistent) and that "players should be able to move through immense game worlds in almost an instant."

Yoshida also went over two other major aspects of the PS5 that he believes will greatly enhance player immersion. The DualSense controller will include haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, creating the element of "sense." A customized 3D audio processing unit will also be installed in the PS5, which allows for a 360-degree soundscape in front, behind, above, and below the player. According to Yoshida, the PS5's combination of speed, sense and sound will provide "game experiences that were impossible before."

bonus: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7262...rld-gaming-with-playstation-5s-ssd/index.html
Linux on PS4 is a slow desktop PC and Sony connected PS4's HDD to SATA-to-USB bridge which doesn't help the situation. LOL

Last edited:
I expect this new generation to be as good as the 16 bits one, or even better. We have reasons to be excited for the end of the year, in this days and times. Let's celebrate.

source.gif

Kuranghi

So no more "copying files" on PS5? Jesus, that makes me want to throw the damn thing out of the window

Yeah I sometimes get the disc version for way cheaper than digital and its the worst when you take the time to preinstall a disc and make sure its ready to go and then some other bullshit has to be downloaded or copied or whatever. My PS4 is on the same hardwired connection as my PC and Steam downloads and installed a whole 80GB games faster than PS4 downloads a 10GB patch, let alone installs it.

FranXico

In order to further enhance the sense of immersion in games, we expect to improve not just the resolution, but the speed of games. For example, through a custom‐designed high‐speed SSD, we plan to realize game data processing speeds that are approximately 100 times faster than PS4.

"Game load times should be much shorter, and players should be able to move through immense game worlds in almost an instant."

They are talking about loading and streaming game data, obviously.

The processing speed of the PS4 is 1,6GHz.

So 160GHz processing speed because of secret sauce SSD?

Yeah just marketing bullshit talk.
1,84TF x 100 = 184TF! Holy shit!
100x faster? I call this 🐂💩💩💩
They need to dial this shit back until they can show some games that look and run 100x better
Put a bit more effort, please.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
To be honest, the last few weeks (green and blue) have had fans at each others throats abou tiny detailas and big promises. IT's time for the fans to stop fighting each other and say to both these companies - show us. You're both going to launch with open world cross gen games. Let's see the gains on the screen. Show us Legion on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, then show us the same on the new consoles.

ZywyPL

Banned
They are talking about loading and streaming game data, obviously.

Put a bit more effort, please.

Z7HeRxU.png

Loading and processing are two different things, CPU and GPU is what processes the data (hence their names, duh), while storage drive and memory is what loads the data, so it's an obvious misspelling on his side, but I don't see a reason why people can't make jokes about it, actually misspells like that are the best opportunity to have some fun.

Last edited:

Fake

They're talking entirely about the SSD and IO complex here. Which yes has some CPU implications, but the point of the IO complex was to remove the CPU as an SSD bottleneck, not that Zen 2 is remotely 100x faster than Jaguar. Jaguar sucks, but not that much.

I guess the CPU play a role in that transition between the SDD, but I get your point. Can't see SDD with Jaguar working as should.

Last edited:

molly14

I don't care what they said, that's what I'm saying. All this talk is gonna be embarrassing when they show 1440p 30fps piles of shit

Well don’t get one then as it seems to bother you so much.And do you have a source that the majority of games are 144p and 30 FPS,,or just bullshit spewing from your gob!

You sound as butthurt as some of the pc owners in here who can’t stand the fact that a console dare out perform their beloved PC in one department.Yes we know the PC will catch up,eventually 🙄

Last edited:

FranXico

It's finally time for the Demonstration. Enough talking.
First time they open their PR mouth to promote the thing in 2 months, and people are already asking them to shut up?
I mean, if they were ALL THE TIME bragging on Twitter about the SSD, talking about how they are listening to the community and being oh so transparent, I would obviously get the call to "show or shut up".

Last edited:

chitzy

Banned
I expect this new generation to be as good as the 16 bits one, or even better. We have reasons to be excited for the end of the year, in this days and times. Let's celebrate.

Yeah, no shot. During the 90s game developers were underpaid, hungry, inspired individuals who were eager to put their creativity to work and push boundaries. In 2020, game developers are employed by large risk-averse corporations more concerned with injecting social dogmatic bullshit into their games than delivering compelling gameplay.

Top Bottom