• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teases instantaneous open world gaming with PlayStation 5's SSD

Lethal01

but where in games like the Witcher 3 when we turn does it take 2 seconds to load?

Almost nowhere, because they restrict themselves from adding things that would be awesome because they know the harddrive would not be able to handle it.
Where in a game like witcher 3 does the game pause for 5 minutes because it needs to do raytracing so the entire scene looks totally photorealistic? Nowhere, because the developers know they don't have that power and don't do things that would cause that to happen.

The fact that they avoid doing things that would ruin game doesn't change the fact that being able to do things that would have cause the system to freeze constantly or have ridiculous amounts of pop in is a gigantic addition.

ZywyPL

Banned
The UE5 demo was interactive. You literally see how the presenter toggles things on and off in the engine right at the start.

That Jaguar comparison is just too ridiculous.

Hopefully this was a parody post.

I think we have a completely different understanding what "interactive" means, the demo basically starts with a script from the get-go. Sorry but a freely flying camera and changing the sun's position have completely nothing to do with interaction, the only interactive stuff in the demo is A) the water, which is easily the worst part of the demo, and B) the round lever at 6:55, but other than that the demo is just a script fest, go here, trigger bats, climb here, trigger falling rocks, walk here trigger another falling rocks, and so on, exactly what we have this gen due to Jaguar's insufficient processing power, all the devs were very vocal about that throughout the generation, but feel free to deny it.

Lethal01

There is tons of stuff to play if you like the xth version of something that once gave you joy because its concept was new.
Or perhaps, maybe, you didn't like the things because it had a neat gimmick but because it was a great formula that is so fun you have no problem doing it for thousands of hours. Most people have things that they enjoy for the Majority of their lives and even games that are called formulaic usually change more than those things over the years..

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think DF’s comment was based on direct high quality data provided by Epic unless I misread what they said. I doubt the full 4K stream on your TV would make you think anything but good things about what you see IQ wise: for most people it would “appear as“/give the impression of a native 4K stream running very smoothly. That is what great TAA/AA and motion blur do for you :).
Yeah but that’s still relying on a trick to disguise it ain’t 4k. The demo was amazing and looks unreal as I said but not being true 4k or 30fps is a bit of a downer. Nobody has any idea how long it took to make the demo or how well optimised it was either. Maybe with longer time to optimise it would of ran at 60fps. I am sure both consoles will run unreal 5 awesome

Lethal01

Yeah but that’s still relying on a trick to disguise it ain’t 4k. The demo was amazing and looks unreal as I said but not being true 4k or 30fps is a bit of a downer. Nobody has any idea how long it took to make the demo or how well optimised it was either. Maybe with longer time to optimise it would of ran at 60fps. I am sure both consoles will run unreal 5 awesome

I think it's a downer that it could run at true 4k but I'm very happy that they aren't acting like it's something that's needed. The only reason I would be happy for it to be true 4k is because I would be excited to see what could be done in a game that doesn't waste power on true 4k

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah but that’s still relying on a trick to disguise it ain’t 4k

That is the point, who cares if it is native 4K or not beyond bragging rights of it looks that good?

What is the point of rendering techniques (hacks on top of hacks on top of approximations on top of hacks and assumptions) if not achieve a perceived end result at the lowest cost possible?

It is possible that a more optimised demo could increase resolution and framerate. The consoles are not even out yet, the tools are not finalised and even after 1.0 status they keep improving... and developers learn more and more tricks they can do on the existing fixed HW.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That is the point, who cares if it is native 4K or not beyond bragging rights of it looks that good?

What is the point of rendering techniques (hacks on top of hacks on top of approximations on top of hacks and assumptions) if not achieve a perceived end result at the lowest cost possible?

It is possible that a more optimised demo could increase resolution and framerate. The consoles are not even out yet, the tools are not finalised and even after 1.0 status they keep improving... and developers learn more and more tricks they can do on the existing fixed HW.
coarse we care if its 4k, why else would we by 4k tvs? we want next gen to be 4k not 1440p

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I think it's a downer that it could run at true 4k but I'm very happy that they aren't acting like it's something that's needed. The only reason I would be happy for it to be true 4k is because I would be excited to see what could be done in a game that doesn't waste power on true 4k
I think next gen we need 4k not upscaled games. that's me personally though. I want my 4k to show true 4k I mean I could of bought a blu ray player that is 1080p but upscales it to 4k but I would know the difference. its like when I play on rocket league on my xbox x and then play it on my regular ps4 the difference is massively noticeable to me

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Because you can see the difference. If I'm buying my LG CX at Black Friday this year, I will definitely want to have a native 4K output because otherwise I'll be able to see the difference and then what's the point of buying such a tv.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think next gen we need 4k not upscaled games. that's me personally though. I want my 4k to show true 4k I mean I could of bought a blu ray player that is 1080p but upscales it to 4k but I would know the difference. its like when I play on rocket league on my xbox x and then play it on my regular ps4 the difference is massively noticeable to me

I do not think anyone, beside maybe a couple of people in the industry, was able to spot the difference until they were told. That is what makes it funny 😁.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Because you can see the difference. If I'm buying my LG CX at Black Friday this year, I will definitely want to have a native 4K output because otherwise I'll be able to see the difference and then what's the point of buying such a tv.

I do not think people saw a difference with this demo until they were told.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I do not think anyone, beside maybe a couple of people in the industry, was able to spot the difference until they were told. That is what makes it funny 😁.
so if you play rocket league in 4k then play it on regular ps4 in 1080p you won't notice the difference?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just asking to someone expert in the "sector". Considering that the SSD's have a limited amount of writing and reading, i know there is a sort of cache to prevent that, but, on the long run, especially with this ps5 where seems like they trying to read directly from the ssd countless times per second, this practice isn't going to degrade the ssd in record times? What's the estimated lifespan of those things?
Reading doesn't wear out SSDs, only writing, since writing is what alters the storage medium. For games, the only times you're writing significant amounts of data to the hard drive is when you're installing a game, or downloading DLC or patches or other content, or recording video content.

Take the Samsung 970 EVO, for example.

It has a write endurance of 600 TB, which means you have to write 600 TB of data to the drive before it starts to crap out. And even then, quality products from proven vendors like Samsung probably have an even longer lifecycle. The company is using conservative numbers.

I highly doubt anyone will wear out their next gen console SSDs so much that they need replacing before next next gen consoles are released.

ZywyPL

Banned
I do not think people saw a difference with this demo until they were told.

God I love double standards - "how can people say that over a compressed YT video?!?", but at the same time "how come no one saw a difference until being told?"...

There are more and more advanced tricks/techniques being used sure, but you can see the overall image is soft, rather than crisp and razor sharp, which is what you'd expect from 4K TVs... 1800p does the job quite well I won't lie, but the lower you go the worse the image looks, 1600p is already easily noticeable that something's wrong, let alone 1440p.

Bottom line is, if current-gen refreshed consoles could decently handle 4K, there is no reason/excuse next-gen ones shouldn't do it properly.

Kumomeme

" A customized 3D audio processing unit will also be installed in the PS5, which allows for a 360-degree soundscape in front, behind, above, and below the player. According to Yoshida, the PS5's combination of speed, sense and sound will provide "game experiences that were impossible before."

i hope this would impressed Atsuhi Inaba..but latest interview saying that he had seen nothing that extremely impressed him considering there higher chances that he already seen or have devs kit
maybe we need to see next gen game first before making assumption

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
God I love double standards - "how can people say that over a compressed YT video?!?", but at the same time "how come no one saw a difference until being told?"...

There are more and more advanced tricks/techniques being used sure, but you can see the overall image is soft, rather than crisp and razor sharp, which is what you'd expect from 4K TVs... 1800p does the job quite well I won't lie, but the lower you go the worse the image looks, 1600p is already easily noticeable that something's wrong, let alone 1440p.

Bottom line is, if current-gen refreshed consoles could decently handle 4K, there is no reason/excuse next-gen ones shouldn't do it properly.

DF themselves, while looking at material sent by Epic and spending hours pixel counting them, seemed pleasantly surprised at the official data about the demo. You know, you can have video hiding details / destroying details and in other cases hiding nasty artefacts, they do not have to be mutually exclusive. This feels like moving goalposts...

It is not an excuse, 4K or resolution in itself is one of the many weapons to increase apparent image quality. In terms of removing aliasing in and of itself it is a tough fight once you imagine it as a sampling problem and think about having at least twice the sample rate as the signal (the visuals rendered on screen) you are trying to represent (hence why even offline CG movies are not tackling it betting on resolution alone... noise being preferable to aliasing artefacts).

Here's a question for all us Souls fans. Considering that most of the lore and story in Souls games is hidden in item descriptions, without loading screens where we see those item descriptions, how are From Software going to tell the story to their games without loading screens?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
so if you play rocket league in 4k then play it on regular ps4 in 1080p you won't notice the difference?

Are you intentionally disingenuous here? What is the point you are taking a stand for? More console warring?

Since when Rocket League became a next generation 1440p UE5 powered game?!

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Are you intentionally disingenuous here? What is the point you are taking a stand for? More console warring?

Since when Rocket League became a next generation 1440p UE5 powered game?!
well you said nobody would notice if things weren’t 4K and my point is if you see something at 4K then see the same thing at less you notice

I hope not, hoping they give us options this gen next gen like they did on a few games this gen

I'm guessing we will get alot more games that hit that magical Res but on the whole I'm thinking that alot of titles will be sub 4k
And that's not a bad thing for any of the consoles , I'd rather see a change in frame rate and game design personally.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'm guessing we will get alot more games that hit that magical Res but on the whole I'm thinking that alot of titles will be sub 4k
And that's not a bad thing for any of the consoles , I'd rather see a change in frame rate and game design personally.

Well I know games are going to advance a lot but with the pro and the x they ain’t a million miles away from 4K and yeah I would prefer 60fps to. Let’s just hope both consoles are capable of near both those

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
well you said nobody would notice if things weren’t 4K and my point is if you see something at 4K then see the same thing at less you notice

I did not say that and you know that. Nobody noticed this demo was not true 4K and DF themselves had trouble with images sent by Epic themselves. It is possible to produce graphics in real-time where people will only complain once told the box producing those visuals is not doing in true 4K or whatever metric you want to use.

Md Ray

Linux on PS4 is a slow desktop PC and Sony connected PS4's HDD to SATA-to-USB bridge which doesn't help the situation. LOL
So if I understand this correctly, that means an HDD or SSD connected to PS4 via SATA is the same as connecting an HDD or SSD externally via USB? This means the speeds are also equivalent to the speeds of HDD/SSD connected through a USB.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Good thing that the IO subsystem does more than just loading, it does decompression, check-in, accesses the GPU cache, etc.
Yes, it is processing the game data (replacing the CPU in a big part).

In the PS5, the CPU is almost completely free for gaming. The I/O complex along with Tempest will allow the CPU to focus it’s cycles on other processes.

Top Bottom