• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing The Order sneak peak at 1pm PT today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDCowboy

Noticing 4 changes so far:

1) Outfit change. The new ones seem more "dressed for the occasion". Thought the old ones seemed a lot more interesting, albeit out of place. Not sure which I like more.

2) Lafayette's gun design has changed

3) Shadows! The older version seems to lack them

4) Percival's beard seems white now!

Agreed
Beards more epic, confirmed?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yep, I think for alot of people everything has to be open world now. I personally enjoy a 10-12 hour cinematic game on rails with a good story and graphics. Two of my favorite recent games are Walking Dead and Beyond: Two Souls. Not everyone has time to play through a 100 hour open world game anymore.

My issue here is that what I've heard is some of the stiffest voice acting I've come across.

If your going to push the cinematic story aspect at least have some better voice acting.

viveks86

I assume there will be multiple outfits in the game; the outfits from the 'old' build are probably the main costumes the characters will wear while the ones from the demo are probably the beginner costumes - which is why I assume the part they've shown is from a very early level

Yeah it's from Chapter 3. Must be right after Galahad picks up the thermite rifle. It seems like the tutorial section to use the weapon for the first time.

LastNac

Huh? I'm not understanding this for some reason. Why'd you delete your post?

Anyway, I'm not looking for an open-world experience, just something that doesn't scream completely on-rails, or forced. Cinematic and adventurous do not have to be divided.
Cinematic(as an adjective and not a cutscene) is about careful oversight when it comes to presentation. It's linear, sure, but that means little ludo narrative dissonance. The immediacy and momentum of the story isn't broken by sidequests or collecting that deviates. The dynamic camera angles are used so framing certain moments is done during gameplay as opposed to constantly inserting cutscenes that break the immersion. Moments that would typically be cutscene(pulling the guy across the street) is instead gameplay, once again, keeping the player involved and maintaining mechanic immerson.

That is a wshlist of things I want and I'm glad I'm getting them.

iceatcs

My issue here is that what I've heard is some of the stiffest voice acting I've come across.

If your going to push the cinematic story aspect at least have some better voice acting.

Thanks god I'm deaf. I don't care how bad is music or voice.

i7lI2HiFr6fNQ.jpg

ibg61DrjSfH8Ga.png

Looks like they don't have the full uniform yet, and the lighting is completely different. Looks better imo.

Edit: Also it might look blurry because lolstreamcapture... but it's the only footage we have.
Edit2: Viveks, we got this ;)

Ready at Dawn? More like Ready at Downgrade!

I kid, I kid. That is quite the difference between those 2. Hopefully it's just a different set of clothing and you get the fancy looking outfit later in the game.

Yep, I think for alot of people everything has to be open world now. I personally enjoy a 10-12 hour cinematic game on rails with a good story and graphics. Two of my favorite recent games are Walking Dead and Beyond: Two Souls. Not everyone has time to play through a 100 hour open world game anymore.
I agree, I'm actually tired of open world games. It seems like every game these days is open world. Infamous, AC4, Watch Dogs, Sunset Overdrive, Destiny, etc. At this point I welcome smaller, more story focused games like this and the Last of Us. Not everything needs to be a giant, barren open world.

DevilFox

Game looks amazing but I was discussing about this just yesterday before the trailer was released....many people still don't get that this game will be controversial because you're not supposed to do whatever you want and it's not free action, it's a cinematic linear experience, you're put inside a movie and you have to alter the flow of specific events based on decisions and how you play.
In the trailer you can see clearly that the developers want you to cover the guy lying down and help him going inside, your freedom is how to kill the enemies on the balcony and that's it for that particular moment.
So people it's better to get over it sooner rather than later, this game is really close to the philosophy of Beyond and other Quantic Dream games. If you like to be part of an interactive story it will be great, otherwise you better look elsewhere.

Again with this story? If you're going to insist, you better provide some solid arguments and bring some sources like interviews or you're not credible.
I've given cover to a lot of guys in videogames and none of them was even close to this "Quantic Dream philosophy".

He said 'looking' ... don't need to play to see.
Kinda do, tho. There may be game mechanics that aren't easily displayable in a video. What if the game has a weapon crafting system? Now ask yourself, how many people would actually prefer to see that over explosions?

Not many (I'm one of those few however).

If you don't like it, go find some rainbow game to play. No one asked for your opinion.

This is the tone Gears 2 and 3 should have went with! Instead, Epic listened to 'the haters', instead of the fans, and murdered the color palette on the two sequels making it brighter, more colorful and cartoony.

Yeah GTFO with that shit. Give me my dark, moody, gritty, tense, and edgy action third person cover shooter ala Gears 1 ANYDAY!
Normally I'd tear a comment like this to shreds but given the mood of the game, it's oddly appropriate.

orochi91

Yea there wasn't sense of urgency in the voices of some of these characters.

But perhaps they're just weary of what's happening and don't give a shit lol
They are quite old, from what I remember of the story. Like probably centuries old.

That was really quite impressive. Looking forward to seeing a higher quality video, this is Ready at Dawn right ? I've been looking forward to seeing what they can tackle on their first original.

Yeah it's from Chapter 3. Must be right after Galahad picks up the thermite rifle. It seems like the tutorial section to use the weapon for the first time.
Yep. Interesting choice to show a tutorial area like this. I guess they really want to show off the transitions between gameplay and cinematics as well as their pyrotechnics, the sparks and smoke and electrical arcs. Those seem to be the biggest positives.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The graphics look unbelievable but they showed a really weird place in the game. Drag a guy across the street while enemies run standing up without covers and practically yell," hey please shoot us while you slowly drag that man so we can fall of this building and show our awesome physics!"

But But But But!!! This game has monsters and stuff right!? So I'm sure the game is far more interesting. That being said you can't really blame people for pointing out the generic and dated game design shown in that little teaser.

As I've said before, I think this game looks awesome. However I have to agree with you about that scene where they are rescuing that guy. The companions providing cover for you are just standing there scratching their balls while you're struggling to pick off those douches with your dinky pistol. Poor directing in that part of the game.

Dude, I'm not blind. you fucking dumbass.

lol

Game will look nice, that is a given, but I'm not sold on the gun play as yet. It looks stiff and clunky at the moment.

Is this a 2014 title?

prwxv3

I got why people complained about grey military games like COD ect but I never got why such complaints were targeted to games like this or Killzone. The grey colors fit the atmosphere, setting, and artstyle. Adding colors for the sake of colors can result in a fucking ugly game that mismatches the settting.

Phades

All the people saying this game is grey, have you ever been to England? I live here, it's grey all the time. We get sun for a few weeks every year haha

Over the course of a year, this is what our skies look like 60-75% of the time:
DSC00094.JPG

That's now, with the clean air act and smokeless fuels. Imagine it in the industrial revolution, smog, fog, soot, and all that shite. It's supposed to be fucking grey.

675.gif

Can it be brown too? ^_^;

But seriously, thanks for that. It seemed a bit weird that folks were grabbing onto a colo(u)r aspect of all things.

LastNac

Again with this story? If you're going to insist, you better provide some solid arguments and bring some sources like interviews or you're not credible.
I've given cover to a lot of guys in videogames and none of them was even close to this "Quantic Dream philosophy".
I honestly think it will be closer to the philosophy of Uncharted 3/TLoU in terms of offering that action driven "cinematic experience" myself.

garyBig

I agree, I'm actually tired of open world games. It seems like every game these days is open world. Infamous, AC4, Watch Dogs, Sunset Overdrive, Destiny, etc. At this point I welcome smaller, more story focused games like this and the Last of Us. Not everything needs to be a giant, barren open world.

Yep, I for one am more than happy with what I'm going to get with The Order. No clue what people expected. Third Person Action Adventure with cinematic style and graphics? -> All I'm looking for in such games! I'm not sure why people can't seem to appreciate the broad variety of genres. This is just one of them, it doesn't mean that you're forced to like it and if it's not what you're looking for in a game, buy another Open World game or whatever else pleases you. Being surprised about an Uncharted/Gears 'clone' being an Uncharted/Gears 'clone' is a weird thing to be.

StuBurns

Banned
That was really quite impressive. Looking forward to seeing a higher quality video, this is Ready at Dawn right ? I've been looking forward to seeing what they can tackle on their first original.
It is indeed.

If nothing else, despite kind of bad showings, the studio have more than shown they're capable of building a very tightly paced and 'can't put down' type experiences. Both of their GoWs are better than SSM's except 2. They're an extremely talented bunch.

viveks86

Yep. Interesting choice to show a tutorial area like this. I guess they really want to show off the transitions between gameplay and cinematics as well as their pyrotechnics, the sparks and smoke and electrical arcs. Those seem to be the biggest positives.

Yeah really odd thing to show to get people hyped. Either they want to drip feed us with the basics, keeping our expectations in check, before blowing us away or they have absolutely no idea what they are doing. It's either incredibly smart or incredibly dumb. E3 should answer this, one way or the other.

I'm really not being a condescending dick when I ask this but I'm genuinely curious what part of that was "really quite impressive"? Do you mean visually?

Stillmatic

Looked pretty amazing, loving the atmosphere. Wish we had better quality video and with someone who knows how to aim. :p

3 min sneak peak is not enough, I need an E3 blowout now! I'll buy it at a high bitrate!

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
That looked great to me. Can't wait. Those particle effects were pretty amazing too. If those kinds of pyrotechnic displays becomes standard this gen I'll be a happy gamer.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Game will look nice, that is a given, but I'm not sold on the gun play as yet. It looks stiff and clunky at the moment.

I agree,

Atmosphere feels great
Graphics are top notch
Story seems intriguing so far

But the way the ads and crosshair move is so janky and stiff, plus the frame rate isn't helping. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm really not being a condescending dick when I ask this but I'm genuinely curious what part of that was "really quite impressive"? Do you mean visually?
Not much else to judge from the video. And it was freaking impressive, as in best looking visuals I've seen in a game impressive.

kyser73

They look like they've gone from wearing dress uniforms to combat-wear - same basic design for outfits, less spangly epaulettes.

Well the graphics are freakin incredible !!! i mean damn ! is this the most beautiful game ever or what ? I love the animations and setting but the gameplay didn't impress me much. It's nothing to go crazy about, yet.

But i'm really interested to learn more about it, maybe there's stuff we don't know about that will be shown at E3 ? The potential for this title is amazing, i hope they don't screw it by making a generic game. I also hope there's multiplayer, this game screams coop all the way... kinda like Gears of War.

Loudninja

Still did not see alot of stuff,like the gadgets,monsters, quiet moments and the investigations

Previews on Tuesday with hands on so I am very interested to see what they think.

StuBurns

Banned
Not much else to judge from the video. And it was freaking impressive, as in best looking visuals I've seen in a game impressive.
Indeed.

I'd really like to hear from PC GAF about their impressions of the video, because there's really nothing I've seen that compares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom