• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing The Order sneak peak at 1pm PT today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

d0nnie

Banned
This probably says more about your own biases than anyone else's. "Undeniably good"? Nothing is above criticism, and that's what discussion forums are all about.

I own both consoles,and did as well for last-gen. I don't have any hidden agenda like some folks here. At this point, I am rooting for Sony, until MSFT gets off my crap list for it's anti-consumer policies with the XBO. That's my agenda.

For any unbiased gamer, this game looks great (accounting for varying tastes as well).

Ricky_R

Is that bad aiming or recoil? Anyway, the game looks great visually, but the gameplay doesn't seem as fluid as I hoped. Also, movement and animations seems rough.

I don't know... Something about that footage seems off.

Holy compression Batman! Is there a better quality vid than the Youtube version? I got about 30 seconds in before I decided to wait for a better one.

I'll say this at least: From what I could see though the mounds of compression, it looked amazingly pretty.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
How come Sony marketing can do 10 minutes plus demos for GoW, Uncharted, and the Last of Us; but when it comes to the Order 1886 and Drive Club (most of the time), they're content with simply showing two-three minute videos?

OneLetter

Hey OneLetter, I think once you look past some hyperbolic statements you will find some very good and genuine criticism. It is not to bring you guys down, but more like to assist you. For example, using twitch and YouTube is doing a grave dis service to this game.

I've been on gaf for quite a while, this is not a new thing. I actually enjoy reading the hyperbole, and seeing how others either support or try to tear it apart.

Also, the stream portion is just something new. Sure, streaming quality wasn't fantastic since it's not a perfect technology, but there's plenty of time to release full high quality videos down the road. We can also start focusing on the aspects many gaffers in this thread have asked to know more about, and try to answer those questions and inquiries as best as we can.

So keep with the chatter, I always try to read all of it.

With that level of graphical fidelity, no doubt the games going to be a highly linear set piece game.

The problem for me is, I've done it before, over and over with every single FPS' single player campaign.

cakefoo

Guys can we get excited about the fact that we have finally reached a point in video games that we can actually play a game that looks like an actual CGI!?

Nobody excited about that??

Seriously this is a serious landmark in videogames history here.
I'd love to get excited, but I'm waiting for RaD to show the part where they "play" it.

Is that bad aiming or recoil? Anyway, the game looks great visually, but the gameplay doesn't seem as fluid as I hoped. Also, movement and animations seems rough.

I don't know... Something about that footage seems off.

He's aiming above them with thermite gas so that the fire rains down on them. Watch it closely.

RayMaker

Banned
The "generic" complaints make sense because so far the only major defining features of this game that set it apart from standard TPS gameplay tropes are its good graphics, unique setting, and... a QTE melee system.

Modern Resident Evil's "thing" is focus on co-op, score attack modes, weapon purchases and upgrades, and the stun->melee combat loop.
Dead Space has dismemberment and antigravity and upgrades.
Gears popularized and modernized the cover system as well as set the standard for competitive TPS multiplayer.
Mass Effect has class based upgrades, unlocks, and different powers based on class.
Uncharted has platforming and hand-to-hand melee combat.
Tomb Raider has... I dunno, platforming I guess. (not the best example, and I'm sure many would actually agree)
Sunset Overdrive has fast acrobatic traversal, superpowers and wacky weapons, and fighting hordes of enemies.
The Last of Us incorporates stealth and survival mechanics.

The Order has mustaches and letterboxing and really good looking leather and metal.

I'm sure that RAD has some hook in there that they want to show off, but they haven't yet.

damn-good-stuff.gif

How come Sony marketing can do 10 minutes plus demos for GoW, Uncharted, and the Last of Us; but when it comes to the Order 1886 and Drive Club (most of the time), they're content with simply showing two-three minute videos?

I think you can expect to see a lengthy demo of The Order at Sony's forthcoming E3 show at least.

Vire

How come Sony marketing can do 10 minutes plus demos for GoW, Uncharted, and the Last of Us. But when it comes to the Order 1886 and Drive Club (most of the time), they're content with simply showing two-three minute videos?

10+ Minute demos usually don't happen until E3. I'm sure this game will have a similar outing to the titles you mentioned there.

As for Drive Club, racing games don't particularly lend themselves well to live on stage demos, so that isn't all that surprising.

NateDrake

I own both consoles,and did as well for last-gen. I don't have any hidden agenda like some folks here. At this point, I am rooting for Sony, until MSFT gets off my crap list for it's anti-consumer policies with the XBO. That's my agenda.

For any unbiased gamer, this game looks great (accounting for varying tastes as well).

What are the anti-consumer policies of the Xbox One right now? Would love to know considering MS has changed a massive amount of policy in just the last month.

Saying The Order looks generic or lacking isn't an agenda. The game visually looks amazing, but the gameplay appears to be lacking.

Many months remain between now and launch and things could improve in some way.

Paracelsus

Clock if cold

non vi preoccupate del framerate, erano solo problemi di streaming, dal vivo va bello fluido
per le AI in quella scena dove trascinano l'altra persona i nemici sono scriptati per fare esattamente quello in quel preciso momento.

uno dei maggiori punti forti (con la grafica) sara' la storia quindi... state tranquilli da quel punto di vista

Don't worry about framerate, it was just a streaming issue, live it runs smoothly. As for the AI, in that scene where they are dragging the other guy, enemies are scripted to do just that in that very moment.

One of the strongest points (alongside graphics) will be the plot so...on that regard you can relax

Arioch = Pessino = RAD

Ricky_R

I've been on gaf for quite a while, this is not a new thing. I actually enjoy reading the hyperbole, and seeing how others either support or try to tear it apart.

Also, the stream portion is just something new. Sure, streaming quality wasn't fantastic since it's not a perfect technology, but there's plenty of time to release full high quality videos down the road. We can also start focusing on the aspects many gaffers in this thread have asked to know more about, and try to answer those questions and inquiries as best as we can.

So keep with the chatter, I always try to read all of it.

Will you guys be showing the game at E3? ;)

Boke1879

Sony showed the game twice now, I think people are now more concerned that this is actually representative of the game.

Maybe. TLOU got a rather lengthy demo at E3 and people still complained about the same thing.

So far both clips have been rather short. showing only a small part of gameplay. Both clips showcase a firefight.

If we do get a lengthy demo of this game at E3 they have to show variances in gameplay. Give us a slow build up. Start off with some exploration occupied with some dialogue between the characters. Build the world. Showcase puzzles.

iceatcs

I'm really curious how's the hell Sony 1st party are so so popular on the internet.

This thread (2400+ post) almost > than all of Sunset Overdrive threads start from 2013 leaks (2800+ post from about 10 threads).1

Salz01

This looks awesome. Seems much better than the last time they showed it. Particle effects, and explosions looks sweet. But the atmosphere seems to be the star of the game. It does look fun to play to boot. Seriously hope this comes this year. Just itching for this game.

Samyy

I'm really curious How Sony's 1st party so so popular on the internet.

This thread (2400+ post) almost > than all of Sunset Overdrive threads start from 2013 leaks (2800+ post from about 10 threads).

They are not first-party

Game looks great Im more concernd about the shooting.... I have all the faith in the team

Dude was aiming above them most of the time, puncturing the gas lines and igniting the thermite gas

OneUh8

So many jaded people. Still early footage, and it looks simply amazing. Instead of making my mind up over a couple minutes of a game shown, I will wait for more info and footage when it is close to release. Perhaps a review maybe?

Ateron

Saying it again, people are judging the game based on the footage released. It doesn't matter what we haven't seen yet, people will judge the game on what HAS BEEN released. Now it's developer's problem if the footage released isn't interesting. You can't expect audience to drool over this kind of crappy twitch footage.

I agree with you, based on what they decided to show us, some criticism is warranted. But the optimist in me prefers to wait a bit more before dismissing this game. Maybe I'm easier to please, but the only things that bug me about this game, after seeing this video are:

The black bars: hate them, always have, always will. It's their vision and their choice and I respect it, but don't like it.

The performance: seemed inconsistent but probably cause of the stream. Again, it's their damned fault for choosing twitch to present their game, but Pessino's tweet reassures me on that front.

The game feels a bit claustrophobic and the enemy AI doesn't seem too good.

But in fairness, I can't judge the game based on that, I don't know how open the game is apart from those areas, and the AI can be improved. Uncharted 2 had some boring videos too and we know how the final game ended up being.

So yeah, it's probably more of the same. But for those who love the genre and can't get enough, is it really a bad thing? Some people attacked Sunset Overdrive for looking like Infamous. I don't. I would buy that in a second if I had an X1, cause I like the genre, even though that game doesn't stand apart from Infamous in any way, IMO.

I'm optimist about this game, but can understand why some people aren't. The footage isn't stellar. But like I said, almost every game can look boring in the wrong hands..

I'm excited for it because of the cinematic feel and hopefully good story. I bought Uncharted 1 for the same reason and it exceeded my expectations. Some people rag on Uncharted for its average gameplay and sure you can pick it apart but I think as a whole it's a great game. I see this being the same.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm really curious how's the hell Sony 1st party are so so popular on the internet.

This thread (2400+ post) almost > than all of Sunset Overdrive threads start from 2013 leaks (2800+ post from about 10 threads).1
Insomniac are awful. I imagine something like QB has more replies.

I mean the bursts before he ignites them. The aiming seems to be all over the place. Not sure if it's bad aiming or recoil.

I think it's recoil. Because he is purposefully aiming above and around them, not at them, but it does seem like a heavy, challenging gun. It's pretty much the size of a mini-gun.

geordiemp

Its a generic Sony TPS that will have exceptional graphics,,,

Sunset will be a generic Ratchet type game with graphics that will not be exceptional.

Whats your point, do you think Sunset is the second coming of video games. LOL.

Nice try, but the only thing that will get me interested in the ONE will be if they put in a proper GPU and decent Memory..

Vire

So many jaded people. Still early footage, and it looks simply amazing. Instead of making my mind up over a couple minutes of a game shown, I will wait for more info and footage when it is close to release. Perhaps a review maybe?

I think very few people are writing off the game completely in this thread. People are just saying the footage they showed looked incredibly boring.

We can only judge what they show us.

I still don't understand why Sony decided it was better to stream a 2 minute gameplay segment in 720P then to release it on Youtube or Gamersyde.

Sendou

How does "very nice" quantify? How does that phrase translate to a number?

Stable 30 at the best. Let me tell you something: if framerate is "smooth", "very nice" or something like that it's not worth giving a number. If it's 60 it becomes a selling point and then they write it out as a number. It's fascinating really.

Tom Bissell wrote a great piece about writing dialogue for combat. When he was working on the last Gears of War he and his co-writer wanted to write all this really unique and "good" dialogue for combat but they found that there are very specific lines that need to be used and very few substitutes for them. They wracked their brains trying to come up with new versions of those lines and finally just stuck with what worked in the past games because at the end of the day they needed to serve the game and not the dialogue.

It's a sad but really interesting piece.

what is wrong with that though? i fukin love it when marcus says 'scratch one grub' or 'hardly seems fair' etc. who gives a shit if that doesnt advance the story, not everything a character says needs to. i hope the characters in this game talk a lot of shit while in combat.
the thing thats most annoying me about this game is the lack of multiplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom