• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony TGS Flopference Thread

gtj1092

If sony had a bad TGS then what kind of TGS did MS have? Their big announcement was Halo Recon.

And RPGs aren't huge anymore not even in Japan, if so the 360 wouldn't have sold what it did this past month what Ps3 did during Metal Gear week. And yes I know pokemon, FF, and Dragonquest are RPGs and million sellers. But those games have already been announced no other RPG is going to have their kind of impact the closest being KH3.

Stop crying because life didn't turn out like you expected if you are this dramatic about games I can only imagine your reactions to real life problems.

Who cares if a game goes multiplatform you still get to play it. Also weather or not Team Icos game was shown here or not has no bearing on when you will actually get to play it. If it was shown and not released for another 2 years you would then hear the same people bitching about vaporware and sony not delivering games and "I thought 'x' year was the year of the Ps3:this joke is tired emote:'

A lot of good games were shown at TGS but you have to realize that the Japanese have to cater to their biggest market first sans moneyhats and in that market DS is king. If you are running out to buy a DS with the money you get from selling your Ps3 then ok your bitching is understandable and probably legit. But I'm sure most just wanted a big announcement to stick in their fanboy talking point presentation.

So to the whiners point me to the list of Japanese exclusives that were announced for 360 at TGS so I can sell my 60GB Ps3 also :rolleyes:

edit: DS is more like god:D

Shadow780

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=257142&page=3

Eurogamer: Obviously you're focused on the Christmas market right now, but how's Sony's 2009 line-up looking?

Shuhei Yoshida: Early next year we're releasing Killzone 2 and inFamous, and we've also been showing Heavy Rain, EyePet and MAG. So we have quite a few games already announced for release next year.

But we have some other games we haven't announced yet. As you said, we are focusing on releasing this year's Christmas titles and titles for early next year. Some time in the next year, we're going to find the right place to announce those games we haven't been able to announce.

commence hyping gaffers~:lol

jk

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gtj1092 said:
So to the whiners point me to the list of Japanese exclusives that were announced for 360 at TGS so I can sell my 60GB Ps3 also :rolleyes:

Agreed that neither PS3 or 360 announced much to be excited about.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If sony had a bad TGS then what kind of TGS did MS have? Their big announcement was Halo Recon.

And RPGs aren't huge anymore not even in Japan, if so the 360 wouldn't have sold what it did this past month what Ps3 did during Metal Gear week. And yes I know pokemon, FF, and Dragonquest are RPGs and million sellers. But those games have already been announced no other RPG is going to have their kind of impact the closest being KH3.

Stop crying because life didn't turn out like you expected if you are this dramatic about games I can only imagine your reactions to real life problems.

Who cares if a game goes multiplatform you still get to play it. Also weather or not Team Icos game was shown here or not has no bearing on when you will actually get to play it. If it was shown and not released for another 2 years you would then hear the same people bitching about vaporware and sony not delivering games and "I thought 'x' year was the year of the Ps3:this joke is tired emote:'

A lot of good games were shown at TGS but you have to realize that the Japanese have to cater to their biggest market first sans moneyhats and in that market DS is king. If you are running out to buy a DS with the money you get from selling your Ps3 then ok your bitching is understandable and probably legit. But I'm sure most just wanted a big announcement to stick in their fanboy talking point presentation.

So to the whiners point me to the list of Japanese exclusives that were announced for 360 at TGS so I can sell my 60GB Ps3 also :rolleyes

"who cares? Show me this! tired jokes! mi mi mi mi!"

Who cares? You sir.

gtj1092

DCharlie said:

Who cares? You sir.

Um ok.

A 12yr old kid right. I'm not the one with an emotional attachment to a piece of electronics and a rooted hatred for a corporation.

Why does your xboat always seem to carry you into Sony threads?

Doubledex

Banned
DCharlie said:

Who cares? You sir.
Nice stealth edit. Well, your "12 year kid" rant.... yeah, I'm always thinking the same when I am reading one of your posts

Cloud

gtj1092 said:

edit: DS is more like god:D

Great post. You see 360 fanboys and pretend Sony fans (hey el Diablo) trolling this thread about how bad the Sony conference was but when you talk about the awful Microsoft conference they try to dodge the subject (hey DCharlie).

Actually this entire thread has been a huge example of that. 360 fans accusing PS3 of having no exclusives and when someone else proves to them with a list of games that PS3 has a lot more exclusives planned than 360 they dodge the subject and continue trolling. Same with the conferences.

I'm sick of this thread and the title only serves to attact even more idiots in here.

gtj1092 said:
Um ok.

A 12yr old kid right. I'm not the one with an emotional attachment to a piece of electronics and a rooted hatred for a corporation.

ouch! :lol

Baha

This thread has gotten really ugly, people need to chill the fuck out. It's a shame that I'll have to wait 1 more week till the huge flood of games roll in before people will be too busy playing to bitch and moan over small things.

When this threads title was changed haters basically took it as a special pass to troll on Sony, from everything I've read in here. It's the first time I've heard of a gaming company showing off a great holiday line up and getting trolled for it at that...

Facism

Baha said:
This thread has gotten really ugly, people need to chill the fuck out. It's a shame that I'll have to wait 1 more week till the huge flood of games roll in before people will be too busy playing to bitch and moan over small things.

They'll never be too busy.

Never.

thuway

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
When this threads title was changed haters basically took it as a special pass to troll on Sony, from everything I've read in here. It's the first time I've heard of a gaming company showing off a great holiday line up and getting trolled for it at that...

Agreed.

I might be in the minority, but I felt like Sony had a terrific showing. Yakuza 3 looks absolutely phenomenal, White Knight Story screams "buy me", Little Big Planet has Sepiroth and Old Sack, Quantum Theory looks to fill those vying for roid rage, and we've still yet to see Final Fantasy XIII shown.

Sure they may be light on JRPGs, Team ICO was not shown, and we still have no idea when Vs XIII will release, but in the grand scheme of things, the lineup is stellar. R2, KZ2, LBP, and WKC are all coming soon and are extremely impressive.

Yoshida is a smart man, and playing his cards close to the chest.

kiUNiT

gtj1092 said:
Um ok.

Yea well your posting history says otherwise, glass houses and shit.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Great post. You see 360 fanboys and pretend Sony fans (hey el Diablo) trolling this thread about how bad the Sony conference was but when you talk about the awful Microsoft conference they try to dodge the subject (hey DCharlie).

Lol - i think you might want to do a bit of fact checking on that part. Unless i didn't post it here, but i thought i did - i thought the MS conf was awful and i thought Ninja Blade was the 2nd worst game of show, with it being the biggest name flop by far.

How is that dodging the subject?

the thing is , you people think rooting for anything related to any one company some how makes you a fan. It doesn't, it makes you an idiot and it means you don't contribute to your favourite company.

I'm a bigger Sony fan than any of you.

"Your post history blablabla" this shit isn't getting old

I dunno, you tell us - you're the one just mentioning "every time you post" ;)

seriously, if you don't like seeing someone mention some not-100% positive sony news, stick me and everyone else concerned on ignore - i'm sure it'll make everything work out swell!

gtj1092 said:

Why do we have to compare Microsoft's offerings to Sony in a thread about Sony's flopference?

1. RPGs are a big factor in Japan. Just look at the software sales and library on any of the systems, especially the DS where RPGs come out most every week. Further, it was RPGs that propelled the 360 to pass the PS3 in the past months, quite a notable feat considering where Microsoft was last generation.

2. In addition to this, the PS2 was the RPG king last generation. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a bit more from Sony, especially after all this time since launch.

You can determine how someone deals with life from the internet? Stop mischaracterizing people who think differently from you.

Agreed.

You're right on this point but should Sony put out DS games? Isn't this discussion about Sony's incredibly lackluster PS3 effort?

There weren't any announced at TGS but if you're a RPG fan, you can see why the 360 looks more appealing than the PS3 at this point in time. I was hoping that Sony would do something to address that.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
DCharlie said:
the thing is , you people think rooting for anything related to any one company some how makes you a fan. It doesn't, it makes you an idiot and it means you don't contribute to your favourite company.

Agreeing to this statement should be part of the ToS you agree to when you sign up.

Rancid Mildew said:
Why do we have to compare Microsoft's offerings to Sony in a thread about Sony's flopference?

Depends on whether you're one of the people crying that they're going to sell their PS3 and buy a 360 or not.

My6cats

Banned
RpgN said:
What I'm trying to say, Sega isn't only about the market leader. They made Panzer Dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Sega GT, Gunvalkyrie, Toejam and Earl and Otogi 1 and 2 exclusive on the xbox. They might do the same on the ps3.

Otogi 1 and 2 were from FROM software, Sega Published them in the USA. Sega had nothing to do with thier developement. I think Sega had signed a contract o deliver so many exclusives to Microsoft, that was the rumor.

My6cats

Banned
Doubledex said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol YOU telling someone to be an idot is simply :lol
DCCharlie been here a long time. I used to just lurk at GAF, and would see his threads. I think he some kind of insider. I can't recall everything. I know he works at a game company or for a game magazine and he lives or has lived in Japan. He has been Pro Sony in the past.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
My6cats said:
DCCharlie been here a long time. I used to just lurk at GAF, and would see his threads. I think he some kind of inside. I can't recall everything. I know he works at a game company or for a game magazine and he lives or has lived in Japan. He has been Pro Somy in the past.

Interesting trivia fact: Sega named the DC after DCharlie, then invented the Dreamcast name to fit to avoid any possible legal challenge.

RpgN

My6cats said:
Otogi 1 and 2 were from FROM software, Sega Published them in the USA. Sega had nothing to do with thier developement. I think Sega had signed a contract o deliver so many exclusives to Microsoft, that was the rumor.

I am fully aware of that. But as a publisher they had the power to decide on which console they wanted this game to be released. Oh, and Sega published the game in Japan and Europe as well. From Software published the sequel in Japan only.

And that's the first time I hear this rumour. It doesn't sound likely to be the truth.

EDIT

Anyway, not to derail this thread. Sony didn't surprise me as much as I hoped. And I was certainly waiting for the Trico announcement. But if you look at their line-up, you can say they're preparing software worth the time. I guess we'll have to wait next year...for Trico.

Rancid Mildew said:

Well, a direct comparison may not be necessary, it's just curious that they had equivalent offerings and yet the only "flop" was on Sony's part. If anyone is bringing Microsoft up, it should be for that comparison alone, in this thread.

Edit: Spelling are good

schuelma

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Well, a direct comparison may not be necessary, it's just curious that they had equivalent offerings and yet the only "flop" was on Sony's part. If anyone is bringing Microsoft up, it should be for that comparison alone, in this thread.

Edit: Spelling are good

That's probably because of expectations. Microsoft celebrates when they manage to sell 7-8K a week in Japan; Sony was expected to dominate this generation in Japan. People expect more from Sony at TGS, which strikes me as pretty reasonable.

My6cats

Banned
I think the reason why some people were upset with TGS, is they expected Sony to have a bigger showing. Why, becuase they are Sony. People don't expect much from Microsoft, because up to this point they have been a disaster in Japan. Niether companies came out great, but non expected Microsoft to have any Japanese support. Heck people makes jokes about it here on GAF all the time.

One comment, People say Sony is now investing in 1st and 2nd party titles now instead of giving money to 3rd party companies, like they are just now starting to do 1st party gamest. I have to ask, were they not always investing in 1st and 2nd party titles, in the past? That is how we got Hotshot golf, the original wipepout, ALL those 1st and 2nd party games for PS1. Games like sly Cooper 1,2, & 3, Ratchet and Clank 1,2,3, and deadlock, Jak and Daxter, 1,2,3 and the racing game, Gods of war 1 and 2, and wilds arms 3,4,5, Dark Cloud 1 and 2, ICO, SOTC, GT 3 and 4 were all on PS2, Were they not spnding money to support thier games before?? I don't see why they can't see why they can't repeat the same thing. Spend money on 1st party and on 3rd party games.

iapetus said:
Interesting trivia fact: Sega named the DC after DCharlie, then invented the Dreamcast name to fit to avoid any possible legal challenge.
298io8.jpg

schuelma said:
That's probably because of expectations. Microsoft celebrates when they manage to sell 7-8K a week in Japan; Sony was expected to dominate this generation in Japan. People expect more from Sony at TGS, which strikes me as pretty reasonable.

Sony is still dominating the HD market in japan. 360 has been on top for a month, and even at the current rate it will be years before they catch up. And Sony's showings were great in that regard for the remainder of this year as well. The only real disappointment here on both Sony and Microsoft's sides are that they haven't showed much of what is going to happen in the longer term. It's particularly disappointing that SCEJ had nothing to show, but my guess is that this is because they didn't want to focus on the longer term for this particular show.

I'm not sure why people expect Sony to do more at a pre-holiday trade show than show off their holiday line-up and announce a few titles.

schuelma

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Sony is still dominating the HD market in japan. 360 has been on top for a month, and even at the current rate it will be years before they catch up. And Sony's showings were great in that regard for the remainder of this year as well. .

Dominating the HD market in Japan means jack shit, no offense. You saw it at TGS- It's handhelds, then Wii, and then HD. PS3 just had its lowest weekly sales ever. It's still tracking similiarly to the GameCube.

And I don't see how Sony's showings for the rest of the year were "great".

I'm not at all convinced LBP will catch on, so you're left with WKS and Gundam Musou 2. That's a weak Holiday lineup, sales wise.

schuelma said:
Dominating the HD market in Japan means jack shit, no offense. You saw it at TGS- It's handhelds, then Wii, and then HD. PS3 just had its lowest weekly sales ever. It's still tracking similiarly to the GameCube.

Obviously it means jack shit, and that's why for the life of me I can't figure out why you pointed to people expecting Sony to dominate the generation as a factor of their disappointment in TGS.

And LBP better catch on. The beta was the most fun I've had in a while.

schuelma

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Obviously it means jack shit, and that's why for the life of me I can't figure out why you pointed to people expecting Sony to dominate the generation as a factor of their disappointment in TGS.

Because even though its clear they won't dominate Japan, people expect Sony to put up a fight.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DCharlie said:
*shrug* it's completely true.

*cough cough*

;)...

(just because I did not go through with my idea of a Kutaragi-diet-success-story infomercial does not mean I am no longer cheerleading for his run at SCE... wait... cheerleading != fan ?... uhm... :( sigh :()

thuway

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Sony is still dominating the HD market in japan. 360 has been on top for a month, and even at the current rate it will be years before they catch up. And Sony's showings were great in that regard for the remainder of this year as well. The only real disappointment here on both Sony and Microsoft's sides are that they haven't showed much of what is going to happen in the longer term. It's particularly disappointing that SCEJ had nothing to show, but my guess is that this is because they didn't want to focus on the longer term for this particular show.

I'm not sure why people expect Sony to do more at a pre-holiday trade show than show off their holiday line-up and announce a few titles.
You'll quickly learn people on this forum will reach brash conclusions on whim.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
Sony is still dominating the HD market in japan.

That sounds good, but in the end means nothing.

I think the dissapointing thing it's that no one (or I atleast) expected nothing from MS, because the few last cards he had in his sleeve were pretty much unveiled, and well, I'm sure they effort is right now to build a base of fans in Japan for the next generation.
But I do expected a lot more from Sony, and it feel like they dropped the arms in Japan, totally understable seeing how the market is right now on Japan, but I was expecting a few titles to try at least to put the PS3 in a more favorable situation in the market, or at least to say, "Hey! we still here!!", they did it with PSP, but right now the line up for the next months in Japan for the PS3,is as much underwhelming, and that means selling like shit, like they're doing right now, for a few more months....

SamBishop

Banned
Aginor said:
Seriously some people need to get a grip meltdown because they expected some kind of mega announcements WTF if you dont like your PS3 stop whining about it get rid buy a 360 job done ,

Are you expecting some kind of GAF counselling because you got scorned by a games conference jesus shit this is GAF its cutthroat you wont get it here i am both entertained and saddened at the same time if that is possible ,

Aginor said:
Well i extend my shoulder for them to cry upon seriously get a grip

Hi, I'm Mr. Period. Clearly we've never met before. Perhaps we should get better acquainted before you continue to post long trains of babble and end them with a friggin' comma.

Top Bottom