• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: There is no intention to force the digital model on anyone

bitbydeath

Confirmation of Blu-ray in the PS5.

In the longer term, Sony plans to expand the mainstream business model to Blu-Ray, plus digital download, plus streaming. There is no intention at Sony to force the digital model on anyone. Hardware is important, and this will continue with the next-generation.

cjehvpkbchz21.jpg

Last edited:
It could have been other mediums in use.
Plus I heard that Blu-ray was cancer...
I think this coming gen is the last we'll see of optical media but I can't envision what else they could have used. Digital only isn't happening, Microsoft may have digital variants like the All Digital Edition of the One S but I don't see anything being mandated.

What else could have been used? Not carts, too expensive and too size limited.

TLZ

Banned
Great! I hope it stays that way. Everyone wins. Thank you Sony.

On another note, why's Neogaf in gold? Looks lovely.

Edit: Wait WTF my name's in gold too! Oh that's why....

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I think this coming gen is the last we'll see of optical media but I can't envision what else they could have used. Digital only isn't happening, Microsoft may have digital variants like the All Digital Edition of the One S but I don't see anything being mandated.

What else could have been used? Not carts, too expensive and too size limited.

Archival disc or some or some sort of flash usb or something.

Also just good to receive confirmation after Xbox opened the floodgates for it this gen it was still possible they’d neglect physical altogether.

sublimit

Banned
Of course they will not try to force it. The last time someone tried to force something like that (MS at the beginning of the gen) failed big time.

They have other ways to make it enticing enough for gamers to suck it up (like Gamepass for example) and even say "thank you" at the end.

Last edited:

Frizzie

Banned
Physical is my favoured choice but I find a mix of physical and digital works well.

It's them damn digital sales that are my weakness! I also like it for indie or niche games that don't get physical releases.

I'm not interested in streaming and I'm probably of an age where if/when it was a forced only option in the future I could get by with older systems.

Ar¢tos

So games will be 300gb max (6 layer disc).
nah, I expect 4 layer (128gb) the maximum they will dare to use because of cost and availability
not counting 100gb day one patches

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

A new truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

Pretty much my feeling on physical media.
Sony is just playing the long game, they know they won't have to support it forever.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

But hold on. Games are struggling to hold on blu ray discs even now.

How are they going to make this work having a disc but also having the entire games downloading when you insert the disc?

I thought they would go for a bigger format option?

Last edited:
Probably something to do with actually owning what you pay for instead of renting it.
But you don’t. Disc is no different than digital except you can eventually sell the disc. Also, once you install the disc it’s treated like a digital title and instead of the internet, the disc is the DRM.

bitbydeath

But hold on. Games are struggling to hold on blu ray discs even now.

How are they going to make this work having a disc but also having the entire games downloading when you insert the disc?

I thought they would go for a bigger format option?

Blu-rays are currently being used as dual layer in consoles (50GB)
They can choose to go up to quad layer discs. (128GB)

Shifty

This is the glorious future Mark Cerny (the real one, not the clone) died for in that fatal blu-ray accident.

May Shu rest his soul.

Hmmm that's weird, what are all these discs in my collection then? I guess I don't own any of those. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I mean you own the plastic the disc is made out of, as well as the box.

But the games themselves? Naw, you hold a license to those. All in the small print.

Last edited:

Digity

This is the glorious future Mark Cerny (the real one, not the clone) died for in that fatal blu-ray accident.

May Shu rest his soul.

But the games themselves? Naw, you hold a license to those. All in the small print.

That's all that matters. Of course I don't own the actual rights to the game, does that even need to be stated?

DanielsM

Banned

May Shu rest his soul.

Yes, but you are oversimplifying it. You can sell and transfer the license without a third party being involved. Its a DRM issue more than anything.

mcjmetroid

Blu-rays are currently being used as dual layer in consoles (50GB)
They can choose to go up to quad layer discs. (128GB)
Ah I see I didn't realise that was a thing.
I'm still not entirely sure 128GB is enough though I'm afraid.
Some games are reaching almost that now.

Kacho

Gold Member
Like, ok? Xbox and Nintendo also believe in gamer choice. Physical media will continue to be a thing on all platforms, even as more and more conusmers adopt digital. What a nothing PR statement.

DanielsM

Banned
Like, ok? Xbox and Nintendo also believe in gamer choice. Physical media will continue to be a thing on all platforms, even as more and more conusmers adopt digital. What a nothing PR statement.

Its not really a PR statement, it was a presentation to their investors... to let them know their future plans in a generalized manner.

Its actually a very simple explanation of what will be possible next gen, some people were speculating that Remote Play was going away for instance.

Last edited:

Zaffo

I sure love the convenience of physically swapping drm diskettes inside a game console, every time i want to play a game that's fully installed on my hard drive.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
That's all that matters. Of course I don't own the actual rights to the game, does that even need to be stated?

Nope, yet we always have some PHD to come in here and remind us that UM ACKSHUALLY you don't own the IP for the content on the plastic discs you have on your shelves....the ones that allow you to access the content on said disc at any time of your choosing (otherwise known as "owning" a piece of content)

Last edited:
Top Bottom