• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony - this is how you do PS2 emulation on PS4 properly

Taker34

Banned
I know Sony needs help with a decent pricing model and proper utilization of their PS2 classic console, among with its library of games.

Listen carefully Sony this is what you need to do:

Sell the PS2 as a virtual console emulator for a single $19,99 / 19,99 € fee. Put in your classic PS2 discs and play!
Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/unbenannt-1bukn3.png[/IMG]

No subscription service, no benefits - a real deal raw PS2 emulator which lets you experience your classic library whenever you want.
Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/article_post_width_psacj4w.png[/IMG]

Charge for premium / standalone titles like you are doing already and add those titles to a classic console app library. You only need to pay for individual titles if you want trophies, HD and possibly 4K resolutions:
Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/unbenannt-2rdk36.png[/IMG]

Sony can have their share of PS2 console fees, trophy hunters and those who want to upgrade their games will purchase games but are still able to set up a unified PS2 library. Disc games and digital upgrades - what more can you ask for?

Why can't we have nice things?

Vashetti

Banned
I like it, seems reasonable.

Same way they should handle CD playback. Rather than pay a blanket fee for everybody when most won't use it, make the user pay a small fee to cover the license of CD playback.

The PS2 emulator needs to be patched to support the Pro. Currently there are no Pro enhancements for it, the games render at exactly the same res as OG PS4.

Danneee

That would be nice. If it was region free, which I think the disc drive wouldn't support?

I'd never pay to play 50hz PS2 games on my PS4.

Sony would rather we continue buying HD collections and remasters rather than allowing us to play games we already own. It's disappointing but I get by through having a PS2, PS3 and PS4 all still plugged in and actively used. I feel for the people who only have a PS4.

Petrae

Being the market leader, Sony has developed an allergy to ideas like this. Instead, charge per game. If the peons don't like it, let them eat cake (or set up old consoles).

ddikxela

PS4 cant read cds / dvds.

.....or is that meant to be possible by software update?

Edit. whoops guess dvds were always a thing.

kc44135

Heh, I was actually expecting this to be a troll thread about we should just be playing games on PCSX2, lol. Anyway, yeah, this is actually an utterly fantastic idea, Taker34. I would pay good money for something like this. The idea of "premium" upgrades for specific games is fine by me as well.

AmuroChan

Why is selling backwards compatibility okay now?

Because people are willing to pay for it. Look at how crazy people get for the NES and SNES Classic. Not only are they willing to pay for BC of old games they probably already own multiple versions of, they're willing to pay for a separate hardware in order to play those old games.

Or make the emulator free like every other console with BC...

And yeah, does PS4 play CD ROMs or not? I know it can't play audio CD but I think somebody said the laser doesn't even read them in which case a bunch of games wouldn't work.

Taker34

Banned
I imagine it's really hacky though. Some actual porting involved.

We had an article about a programmer who stated that putting in those trophies takes a really long time and is the main reason for the long waiting times between PS2 classic releases on PS4.

The second generation or so of PS3's was able to play PS2 games via software emulation, instead of using hardware as far as I know.

Fbh

I don't really like the idea of setting a precedent of charging for backwards compatibility.
Imagine this works and sells. Then we are going to have "play all your Ps4 games on your Ps5 for just $199"

I guess it's better than what we have now but the way you do Ps2 compatibility right is releasing it for free like MS is doing with 360 and OG Xbox games. Specially when there are free emulators on PC.

ocean

Banned
PlayStation 4 got a lot of things right: excellent performance/pricing vs competition, fantastic first party:third party exclusive output, marketing deals for some key franchises, and investment in "prestige" titles which may not sell much but generate good buzz (The Last Guardian, Shenmue come to mind).

But in terms of responding to feature requests? They teased the possibility of PlayStation BC, came to nothing. PS2 BC was teased too I think then nothing came of it...until they started re releasing games Nintendo style (too slow in broadening the catalogue). We *still* can't change PSN names (I'd pay $100 for this). They're now the guys who block cross-platform play to the detriment of everybody on all sides. With marketing deals for the major shooters (Destiny+Call of Duty+Battlefront), they still won't give us a Pro controller with paddles. The list goes on.

They've relented and gave us folder organization and external drive support. I don't think we'll get anything else this gen tbh in terms of fan requested features.

Berordn

The second generation or so of PS3's was able to play PS2 games via software emulation, instead of using hardware as far as I know.

That was more of a hybrid setup as I recall. It didn't have the EE, but still has a lot of the old silicon. Made compatibility a little less reliable too, but that's not a huge deal when you're getting 90% I suppose.

PlayStation 4 got a lot of things right: excellent performance/pricing vs competition, fantastic first party:third party exclusive output, marketing deals for some key franchises, and investment in "prestige" titles which may not sell much but generate good buzz (The Last Guardian, Shenmue come to mind).

But in terms of responding to feature requests? They teased the possibility of PlayStation BC, came to nothing. PS2 BC was teased too I think then nothing came of it...until they started re releasing games Nintendo style (too slow in broadening the catalogue). We *still* can't change PSN names (I'd pay $100 for this). They're now the guys who block cross-platform play to the detriment of everybody on all sides. With marketing deals for the major shooters (Destiny+Call of Duty+Battlefront), they still won't give us a Pro controller with paddles. The list goes on.

They've relented and gave us folder organization and external drive support. I don't think we'll get anything else this gen tbh in terms of fan requested features.

Sony does their big OS feature updates on a 6 monthly schedule. So of course more requested OS features are coming. No need to be so dramatic.

Sony

Nintendo
Your post is filled with monetization suggestions. Why do you want Sony to charge for it?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Maybe next gen after the good old Sony arrogance knocks them down a peg again.

Uhh

How do you think the PS2 classics on the PS4 store are running? They're not ports.

They're PS2 .iso files running in an emulator, patched with trophy support and some bugfixes

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-ps4-playstation2-emulation

I doubt the emulator straight up run every single game perfectly though. Some games probably require some form of manual tweaking to get running as they should.

That and they will need to do full quality for each title to insure they aren't selling people a broken pos.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Because people are willing to pay for it. Look at how crazy people get for the NES and SNES Classic. Not only are they willing to pay for BC of old games they probably already own multiple versions of, they're willing to pay for a separate hardware in order to play those old games.

They are 2 entirely different things. NES and SNES has nothing to do with backward compatible, and they are more novelty items with limited supplies for hardcore fans

Taker34

Banned
But the competition is doing this at no charge. Why do you want this to cost money?

Because I'm being realistic. Their competition isn't charging because they're in dire need of more customers, so they will naturally make their offers as appealing as possible.

You're paying for a service, since such an emulator has to be developed first (even though it already is running on PS4). I believe that hardware emulation should be free. Free software emulation on the other hand is pure goodwill and a money sink for those companies, so I don't expect it to be free.

Hazaku

That would be nice. If it was region free, which I think the disc drive wouldn't support?

I'd never pay to play 50hz PS2 games on my PS4.

XB1 and XBL are able to manage. I popped a Japanese version of Lost Odyssey (this version's region locked) into my Australian XB1 and it ended up downloading the Japanese BC version of the game.

Top Bottom