• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to invest $18.4b on strategic investments to grow subscribers to gaming and entertainment

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/me...investments-over-next-three-years-2021-05-26/

Sony Group (6758.T) said on Wednesday it will spend 2 trillion yen ($18.39 billion) over the next three years on strategic investments, including a push to expand subscribers to its gaming and entertainment services.

Sony said in a statement it would accelerate investments in mobile and online services with the aim of expanding the number of consumers directly connected to its services to 1 billion people from 160 million.

As it streamlines its consumer electronic business, Sony is focusing more on movies, games and other content it sells through platforms such as its PlayStation games console.

They announced the following goals:

• Increase number of consumers connected to Sony services from 160M to 1 Billion
  • Make gaming more social (examples include their investment in Discord, Fortnite)
  • Invest in IP and studios (examples include Insomniac Games)
  • Increase synergies between departments (Sony AI is helping PlayStation develop AI companion opponents or co-op buddies)
  • PlayStation Plus has grown by 6.1M subscribers in the last 12 months to 47.6M paid users

Last edited:

Alexious

They announced the following goals:

• Increase number of consumers connected to Sony services from 160M to 1 Billion
  • Make gaming more social (examples include their investment in Discord, Fortnite)
  • Invest in IP and studios (examples include Insomniac Games)
  • Increase synergies between departments (Sony AI is helping PlayStation develop AI companion opponents or co-op buddies)
  • PlayStation Plus has grown by 6.1M subscribers in the last 12 months to 47.6M paid users

Where did you get the latter two bullet points? They certainly aren't in that Reuters piece.

Why do they need 18 Billion for?

Bethesda sized acquisition?

Gamepass competitor?
Large investments.

I dont see them spending 8 billion on any company. They already know how to make video game hits. If Amazon buys MGM. Sony been trying to buy them for like 20 years now. I do see them buying Capcom from that failure. Since their japan studio has horrible sales.

jhjfss

"Sony said in a statement it would accelerate investments in mobile and online services with the aim of expanding the number of consumers directly connected to its services to 1 billion people from 160 million."
now where have i heard this before? :unsure:

skakmk

Coming to think of it, Sony’s recent ps plus lineup has been a competitor to gamepass in itself. The best part about giving away these games via plus is the certainty, I.e no rotation/outflow of content.

However nothing can match the experience of browsing through the huge gamepass catalogue.

NoviDon

Capcom is worth 3 bn and has alot of still relevant AAA franchises. Square Enix 2bn, Sega 4 bn. Then you have smaller companies that have many lucrative franchises like Bandai Namco worth half a Bn.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
"Sony said in a statement it would accelerate investments in mobile and online services with the aim of expanding the number of consumers directly connected to its services to 1 billion people from 160 million."
now where have i heard this before? :unsure:
With regards to mobile and online services? Not sure.

Last edited:

TBiddy

Exactly, since they just created Plus and PSNow this year.... :rolleyes:

That's not what I said. They are accelerating their investment in order to reach a much larger audience. Where have we heard this before in the console space? I assume we will "soon" see an aggressive expansion of PS Now with regards to streaming.

jroc74

That's not what I said. They are accelerating their investment in order to reach a much larger audience. Where have we heard this before in the console space? I assume we will "soon" see an aggressive expansion of PS Now with regards to streaming.
Agree with this.

But Sony realized subscription services are the future in 2010, when they created PS Plus. And a few years after that they started investing in game streaming services.

Sony isnt realizing anything. They already knew this.

TBiddy

Agree with this.

But Sony realized subscription services are the future in 2010, when they created PS Plus. And a few years after that they started investing in game streaming services.

Sony isnt realizing anything. They already knew this.

I should probably have clarified that I meant in terms of reaching a broader audience.

sublimit

Banned
I really would not be surprised if they were planning on buying SE based on that statement.
I don't know but i doubt SE would want to be bought though. And a lot of their games end up being console exclusive to playstation platforms anyway (timed or not).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't know but i doubt SE would want to be bought though. And a lot of their games end up being console exclusive to playstation platforms anyway (timed or not).

They seem very close to Sony right now with a lot of exclusivity deals, and that's often an indication that they may be amenable to a merger.

The draw for Sony is they have the multi-media capabilities to leverage SE's IP beyond just games, and that might appeal to the SE board too provided the deal allows for them to still publish games outside of Playstation. As with Zenimax, the potential value is in IP control more than anything else.

jroc74

Just 1bn consumers?
MS wants to reach 2 or 3bn
Between mobile gaming, music, TV, film, console gaming....Sony could hit this number.

They need to get back into, start focusing on mobile gaming more tho. Also this: (pg 43)

Sony also has DTC services for communities of interest other than anime. One is PureFlix, a faith and family centered offering. Another is our video DTC service in India called SonyLIV which is rooted in local culture and has increased its paying subscribers to approximately 5.6 million by about eight times in the twelve months through this April. In order to bring Kando to even more users in the growing market of India, we plan to increase our content offering

I dont think they just mean gaming because of this:

This is over three years for the whole of Sony

Capcom is worth 3 bn and has alot of still relevant AAA franchises. Square Enix 2bn, Sega 4 bn. Then you have smaller companies that have many lucrative franchises like Bandai Namco worth half a Bn.

All your numbers are wrong. Both Square and Capcom were around 8 billions last I checked...

Seems like Sony could of bought Zenimax at least 2.4 times with that money, I sorta understand why they didn't though, from a business standpoint it wouldn't make all that much sense. Every game up until Starfield/ES6 was already out on their platform.

Top Bottom